Did Astrology ever have methods to remedy troubled charts eg amulets,chants?

Darth MI

My mother is big into Chinese astrology and Feng Shui and I am amazed of how much Chinese astrology has to try to remedy bad times in their predictive astrologies. The book I am reading is only about the Year Pillar, not the entire Bazi chart, and already they mention what amulets to wear for help in love, what animals to have as posters and statues around the house, and so forth for predictions of the Year of the Horse based on just Year animals. From what I can find in skits of books online, the real BaZi systems addresses this even more!

Vedic astrology even has the exact same remedies for troubled charts.

http://www.learnastrologyfree.com/ending.htm
B. Too Fatalistic.

This is perhaps the most often voiced objection to Vedic astrology by Western astrologers ignorant of the field.

They ignore the following facts:

1. Throughout Vedic astrology's long history, Upayas (remedies to counteract issues in the chart) have been prescribed – in fact, Western astrology is woefully deficient in providing such remedies. Vedic astrologers can recommend specific forms of charity, chants, meditations, ceremonies, and gemstones to help to balance one's chart. If the Vedic method was fatalistic, applying remedial measures would never have become part of their tradition.

C. Not Psychological.

An additional complaint made of Vedic astrology by Western astrologers is that it is not psychological. Those voicing this criticism have clearly not familiarized themselves with the delineations available in even the oldest Vedic astrology texts.

1. Vedic astrology is very psychological, in some ways more directly addressing one's mental state than Western astrology. The Vedic astrological method addresses what astrological factors indicate internal conditions like peace of mind, anxiety, emotional sensitivity, and mental illness; and what factors indicate external traumas like incest, drug and sexual addiction and impotence, and other forms of abuse. [Yes, even in classical Vedic texts.]

2. Vedic astrology also enables one to discern a great deal of detail about the individual's temperament. A Vedic astrologer can understand physiological patterns (such as what organ systems are liable to be problematic) and can use the chart to know which Dosha (Ayurvedic body type) a person will be --and the appropriate diet, herbs, etc. for each individual.

3. The main predictive method of Vedic astrology, the Vimshottari Dasa system, is truly superb at revealing when a person's life crises and their resolutions will occur.

4. Perhaps most importantly, the Vedas themselves, from which Jyotish was born, are incredibly rich in psychological content. Jyotish brings with it, from the Vedas, a deep and spiritual understanding of the structure of mind.

The article criticizes Western astrology for lacking the methods found in Vedic to remedy troubled charts such as religious practises,amulets, and use of sacred texts. However to be fair modern astrology is lacking in such stuff.

I am curious does western astrology actually have such methods like special amulets, meditative practices, and so on to relieve a troubled chart and to help mellow down or even prevent negative predictive astrology readings like the Chinese astrology systems and Vedic astrology does? I am surprised considering its origins in Babylonian mythology and later Hellenistic culture not much is mentioned on what is currently known about traditional western astrology on methods to aid a very troubled natal chart!

Last edited:

mdinaz

I've worked with and studied gemstones and herbology separately from astrology but many of those texts still associate planets and signs with gems and herbs. While modern Western astrology is not formally combined with these, it isn't difficult to combine the different disciplines. I've created my own amulets and such using astrological principles.

Darth MI

I've worked with and studied gemstones and herbology separately from astrology but many of those texts still associate planets and signs with gems and herbs. While modern Western astrology is not formally combined with these, it isn't difficult to combine the different disciplines. I've created my own amulets and such using astrological principles.

Can you recommend texts for beginners on such subjects who already have some familiarity with astrology?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Astrological magic is a complex system of ritual and invocation, but you need to have a working understanding of Aristotelian and Neoplatonic philosophy as well as classical astrology's philosophies and electional astrology to make any use of it.

Start there.

Edit: I also recommend being really careful with Warnock books.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The philosophy of astrological magic is based in Aristotelianism and Neoplatonism. To be fair, so is most of classical astrology. But it's important to understand it to make use of techniques and ritual that aren't reliant on techniques found in other branches.