harvest from crops-which house.

JUPITERASC

'.....In Babylonian myth, the identification between Virgo and the grain goddess led the constellation figure to be personified as Ishtar, the consort of the corn god Tammuz. The essence of the myth is that Tammuz was overcome by the lord of death at autumn and carried to the Underworld. Ishtar, in grief, travelled to the Underworld, threatened to break down the gates and free the dead unless Tammuz was released. But she was taken prisoner and smitten with disease, and during the period of her absence all earthly fertility was denied. :smile: When the gods of Heaven heard the dreaded news and saw the devastation of the earth they sent an order that Ishtar and Tammuz must be released. Ishtar had been stripped naked in her ceremonial entrance through the gates of the underworld but it was ordered that she return with due ceremony; she was sprinkled with the creative Waters of Life and her garments and jewels were ceremoniously replaced so that she could re-emerge into the world of the living in her full strength and glory.....'

charmvirgo

The point about Virgo is that she has not yet been harvested, her fruit has not been picked, although she does bring the moment of ripeness she is the virgin and untouched.
If the virgin has been reaped she's not really the virgin is she.
But Virgo definitely shows it will be time to harvest.

Last edited:
Harold asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Soule
Henry Coley, Lilly's true friend and one Lilly mentored claims that money made from crops is the 5th, the 2nd of the 4th:

Can you give me a page reference for this please Clinton

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html

pdf.gif
Skyscript Coley, HenryClavis Astrologiae Elimata: Key to the Whole Art of Astrology(digital facsimile)

pdf.gif
Skyscript Astrologia MedievalColey, HenryClavis Astrologiae Elimata (searchable modern type)

Blessed Deborah Holding has provided the 600 page document above that does not match the pages as in the copy above so bear with me on the pages distortion!

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/clavis.html

Open/download the text (3 MB)

Page 119 0f the 2nd copy on skyscript, or pages 113 or 114 of the first photo-copied document!:

CHAP. XIII.
OF THE TWELVE HOUSES OF HEAVEN, AND THEIR

ASTROLOGICAL SIGNIFICATION.

.......snip...The fourth house signifies fathers, houses, lands, immoveable goods, orchards, tillage, minerals, hidden treasures, all things under the earth,prisons and obscure desolate places, the grave and good report after thislife, and finally the period of all things undertaken; 'tis called the NorthAngle. .....snip....Gardens, Orchards, Pastures, Fields, with the nature and quality thereof. The Lord of the fourth house signifies the Governour of a Town, ....snip....because Cancer[?] and Sol are cosignificators thereof.
The fifth house signifies Children, all younger kindred, joy, pleasure, gifts,
delights and bravery, the riches of the father, all profit of the fourth house,

playing, gaming, drinking and revelling, &c.,

Harold, I've been searching through Coley's document online for over an hour but I am away from my notebook of Coley where I may have underlined this.

But the point I understood was just as the 5th is the father's estate, and the fith would be money earned from farming, mining, and possibly timber on the land(4th) so from the above it looks as though Coley put money earned from the farm there in the same respect as the 11th is the king, mayor, govenor, magistrate's money, or money earned from business if I understand correctly.

I always respect a fellow astrologer who wants to see the documentation as so many committ Academic Dishonesty:devil::devil::devil::sad::sad::sad: in their posts or in writing their respective books by Not citing both the source and the where abouts as if it were their invention or thet vaguely remember. Because of this I'll make a review of Coley tonight!
:rightful:
ptolemy.gif

pdf.gif
Skyscript

Last edited:

Cypocryphy

I don't know if this has been said already, but you want to look at fifth house because it is the second from the fourth house. This is because the fourth house represents real property, hence your farm/land. The second from the fourth is the income therefrom gleaned.

Last edited:
Yes, one can have a great harvest,...then the market drop, ...and the great yeild brings less money or a poor return or less than the seed and labor cost!:sad:

Seen it often in that many in the family are in fact farmers!

And yes in an the very first election I atemped I can see the agricultural harvest from that 6th house posited planets!

Harold

Harold, I've been searching through Coley's document online for over an hour but I am away from my notebook of Coley where I may have underlined this.

Yeah, I have had the same problem.... I am so certain that a particular author said something that I make a pronouncement to that effect, without checking - then cannot find the reference I could have sworn was there!

Aquarius358

I'd like to add that it depends on what exactly the crop was : different planets for different fruits and vegs. e.g. Beans, carrots would be Mercury. Basil is Mars and so on. (My ref. is Dr J Lee Lehman's Book of Rulerships. She looked at al-Biruni, Dariot, Lilly, Ramesey, Gadbury, Culpepper, the latter especially for herbs. There's no absolute agreement between the various astrologers, though.

Using the Lots (or Arabic Parts) as Dr Farr has suggested would also be helpful.

As to House ruler? If the question were : Will the harvest in general be great/a big one/ a profitable one? I'd look at 4 ruler applying to 1 ruler (or vice versa). If 4 ruler were the Sun or Jupiter, and the Moon or 1 ruler applied to Jupiter or Sun, then yes. A good harvest. If not, and Venus were 4 ruler applying to Moon or 1 ruler, then I'd answer maybe not the biggest but not bad. Any other planet (Mercury, Mars, Saturn) well, in decreasing amounts, according to their strengths (dignities.) Presumably there would always be some yield from crops planted (unless wiped out by a natural disaster of some kind.)

If the question were about timing for harvesting … well, apart from the crop looking as if it's ready (or not!), I think I'd be inclined to use 4 ruler again. It rules the earth and things under the earth (like minerals and, presumably, root vegetables.)

Fruit rulerships offered in Lehman's listing include "Fruit of a Tree = Jupiter" and "Fruit with rough skin =Mars" and "Fruits = Jupiter" and "Fruits of the earth = Saturn".

Lehman bears out my note above:
Crop yields good = Venus.
Crop abundance = Jupiter.

In summary, then - I'd use a particular Planet rulership for a particular fruit or vegetable rather than a House ruler AND a relevant Lot's location and particularly the Lot ruler's location and strength. _______

poyi

Premium Member
The problem though those planets that rules those crops may be in the same sign/dignity for a long time but not all farmers will do well with the crops ruled by that planet. Two farmers asking about wheat from different part of the world the astrologer unleast casting the chart in very close timing otherwise it should not be both abundance just because the ruling planet is favourable in that few hours or up to few month period. I think is how you shape the question.

Aquarius358

The problem though those planets that rules those crops may be in the same sign/dignity for a long time but not all farmers will do well with the crops ruled by that planet. Two farmers asking about wheat from different part of the world the astrologer unleast casting the chart in very close timing otherwise it should not be both abundance just because the ruling planet is favourable in that few hours or up to few month period. I think is how you shape the question.

No, I'm afraid that's not how a horary works.

The horary chart answers the question when it is asked. It doesn't tell you about all the crops in the world. Just the ones that the querent has in mind when the question is asked.

If the question is "Will I do well with my crop of peaches this year?" for instance, then the peaches will be signified by Jupiter. If Jupiter is, say, in the 8th & Rx or in the 3rd or 12th & Rx,and having no reception with 1 ruler, then the answer is sadly negative. If Jupiter is in Cancer, exalted and in the 1st or 4th or 10th house, you could safely answer yes, the crop will be a bumper one!

If it were a question about the wheat crop, it would be Jupiter as well OR if you wanted to, you could take 4 ruler to designate the crop.

As well, you could work out the particular Lot and look at its dispositor as well, working out the Lot using this formula : Asc+Jupiter-Sun = Lot of Wheat according to al-Biruni. Reverse the formula if it's a night chart. ____

poyi

Premium Member
I personally doesn't do horary only my boyfriend worked 6 years with farmers and weather prediction and he always uses the 6th for harvest which I had listed the references.

Edited: anyway this is not about arguing whom is right I shared and answer the question based on what I know of my boyfriend's practice and I have given the references from reliable source. The purpose is to inform the OP so I did my job here.

Last edited: