Career direction and going back to school

Vista

So at this point in my life I am really at a cross road as it seems I am unable to find work in my chosen field of medical device sales after 2 years of unemployment. My question is, does anyone have an opinion or maybe an idea of what type of training or schooling that might lead to a solid, new career for me? The universe seems to be pulling me away from what I know and I am no longer able to make a living.

Capricorn on the MC ruled by Saturn in the 11th, Leo 6th ruler placed in the 10th and Mercury intercepted in the 6th and placed in the 11th house conjunct Saturn.
Hum....Medical sales does seem to fit my "job" per say, however it's not filling my hopes and wishes, not to mention it's been pretty unstable for me with Uranus there in the 6th house causing job loss or change every 2-3 years. Saturn ruling my MC in Aquarius seems to be computer oriented, as well as some sort of administrative type of work and group organization or working for a cause/charity. I do like a lot of autonomy, so being my own boss or making my own schedule really appeals to me. I wonder if i should look to my Kite for a career choice? Pluto would be at the apex of the Kite...hum, investigation or detective work? I thought about getting my MBA, but I am not sure that will help me right now as much as perhaps a specialized skill. Lastly, I am really into politics and helping animals, therefore non profit might be a good fit too, although out here in S. California I think those jobs are being cut.

BTW, I know my natal chart says September for the transits, it's just what I had saved so I used it.

Thanks for any direction you can offer!

Attachments

• Sept Tran-Prog.jpg
    Sept Tran-Prog.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 51

Vista

I know Capricorn MC doesn't particularly scream out a career outside side of the boring administrator, business owner, politics...Feeling kind of blocked in terms of what road to take...and there seems to be many forks in the road.

misskitty

No wonder you are uncomfortable with Pluto and Uranus so close to your MC and ASC, and squaring them. Change is coming!

Vista

No wonder you are uncomfortable with Pluto and Uranus so close to your MC and ASC, and squaring them. Change is coming!

LOL! At least we have each other to answer our questions!! Yes, with in a year I have had all the outer planets Jupiter onward change houses with 4 of them angular. Yep, change is a comin.....

Some of it's got to be good, right??
icon12.gif

Vista

Money & you
http://www.astrotheme.com/files/money_and_you.php
http://www.cafeastrology.com/astrologytopics/astrology_of_money_wealth.html
career significators
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/significators.html
http://www.janetboyer.com/Midheaven_in_Sagittarius.html

Professional & Destiny
http://www.astrotheme.com/files/astrology_professional_destiny.php
sticky in vocational astrology forum
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32775
Astro’s vocation section
http://www.babybirthchart.com/zodiac-signs/midheaven/
http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_vocation2_n.htm?lang=z

My thoughts and links on vocation
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=264759&postcount=7
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12398&postcount=1

Waybread’s thoughts on Vocation
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=264335&postcount=2

Career options are assessed by MC any planets conjunct, where the ruler of MC is placed, it’s aspects, then 2nd house ‘how you earn your money’ and planets there, ruler of cusp and where it’s placed, then 6th house of ‘type of work you do’ any planets there and how they are aspected.

Researching rulers of houses will help you understand more where I joining the dots so to speak
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/rulersofhousesinhouses.html
http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/astrology/LearningAstrology/housesDerived.htm
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/houserulerships.htm

Thank you for the links! I think I have to be a little more practical about which direction I go simply in terms of preparing for the future so I am not in this position again.

BobZemco

Capricorn on the MC ruled by Saturn in the 11th, Leo 6th ruler placed in the 10th and Mercury intercepted in the 6th and placed in the 11th house conjunct Saturn.
Hum....Medical sales does seem to fit my "job" per say, however it's not filling my hopes and wishes, not to mention it's been pretty unstable for me with Uranus there in the 6th house causing job loss or change every 2-3 years. Saturn ruling my MC in Aquarius seems to be computer oriented, as well as some sort of administrative type of work and group organization or working for a cause/charity. I do like a lot of autonomy, so being my own boss or making my own schedule really appeals to me. I wonder if i should look to my Kite for a career choice? Pluto would be at the apex of the Kite...hum, investigation or detective work? I thought about getting my MBA, but I am not sure that will help me right now as much as perhaps a specialized skill. Lastly, I am really into politics and helping animals, therefore non profit might be a good fit too, although out here in S. California I think those jobs are being cut.

BTW, I know my natal chart says September for the transits, it's just what I had saved so I used it.

Thanks for any direction you can offer!

This will give you a truer picture of what's been happening in your life than all that other garbage.

attachment.php

Even though your Midheaven is Capricorn, that is irrelevant. The Almuten of Employment for you is Venus, because Venus has the most Dignity in the Midheaven, the Midheaven Ruler, the Lot of Work and she is the Dispositor of the Lot of Work.

Jupiter is the Almuten of Wealth.

First, your Lot of Wealth and your Lot of Labor are in Virgo in the 6th House ruled by Mercury in Aquarius the 11th House (tell us something we didn't already know). Venus, your Almuten of Employment squares both your Lot of Wealth and Lot of Labor, and also squares your Jupiter who is your Almuten of Wealth.

Second, as if that weren't bad enough, Jupiter also opposes both your Lot of Labor and Lot of Wealth, plus Mercury, the Ruler of both Lots is inconjunct to them and he cannot really affect them because he cannot control them (because he is inconjunct and cannot witness the affairs of the 6th House).

Finally, Jupiter is in a Pitted Degree (and Cadent in the 12th House).

The picture we get here is someone who will struggle (valiantly) their entire life with wealth and employment issues. The fact that Venus and Jupiter are in Mutual Reception by Sign and Exaltation is basically what has kept you out of the Poor House and off the streets wandering around as a bag-lady.

Is that not the case?

What can you do about that? I'm not really sure. If there is any chance you could relocate, then you might want to consider that as an option, especially under your current circumstances. What you want, is to move Jupiter down into the 1st House and pull your Lot of Wealth and Lot of Work up into the 7th House making all of them Angular and strengthening them greatly. That will also elevate Venus closer to the Midheaven.

You Lot of Work is in a Fixed Sign (Taurus), Venus in Common (Sagittarius) and your Midheaven is Moveable. That doesn't exactly scream career change, however Venus is the Almuten of Employment and it is a Common Sign so it might be something you could, I'm just not sure it would bring stability.

Aries is once again your Profectional Ascendant, making Mars the Year Ruler and in your Solar Return, your 8th House has come to the Ascendant, and Mars who is both your Year Ruler and Solar Return Ascendant Ruler is Combust, meaning this whole year is a big wash and you're powerless. Mercury in your Solar Return 2nd House in square to Solar Return Jupiter (your Almuten of Wealth) isn't helping (but it could have been worse if Jupiter did not receive Mercury).

Solar Return Moon rules your 9th House and is applying to square Mercury. Moon will receive Mercury by Decan, so that will pose an extreme challenge to you. On the bright side Moon is conjunct Jupiter.

Job outlook isn't very good either. Lot of Labor in Virgo with Venus in square plus Lot of Work in Aries with Mars Combust.

Next year looks better for you. Taurus is Profectional Ascendant making Venus Year Ruler. Solar Return brings 11th House to the Ascendant. Venus is in the Solar Return 1st House in beautiful trine with Mutual Reception to Saturn in your Libra 9th House. It doesn't get much better than that, especially with Sun applying square to Saturn and Saturn receives Sun, plus Mars trines Sun and receives Sun by Exaltation.

If you want more education, then would be the time to do it. Your job outlook will be better too. Lot of Labor in partile conjunction with Exalted Saturn with the Mutual Reception trine from Venus and Lot of Work in Taurus in trine with Capricorn Sun, so all that is real positive. The only negative thing is a Cadent Slow Cancer Moon within 12° of the Capricorn Sun separating from an opposition.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• Vista Career.jpg
    Vista Career.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 205

Arian Maverick

Even though your Midheaven is Capricorn, that is irrelevant. The Almuten of Employment for you is Venus, because Venus has the most Dignity in the Midheaven, the Midheaven Ruler, the Lot of Work and she is the Dispositor of the Lot of Work.

Bob, are you using Ptolemy's Table of Essential Dignities or another system? I can see that Venus has the most dignity at the Midheaven degree because this is a day chart (Sun above the horizon) so Venus is the triplicity ruler and term ruler. (I admit this confuses me slightly, since I learned, perhaps incorrectly, that the sign ruler was worth 5 points of dignity, the exaltation ruler 4 points of dignity, the triplicity ruler 3 points of dignity, the term ruler 2 points of dignity, and the face ruler 1 point of dignity. Under this simplified system, wouldn't Saturn and Venus have an equal number of points?)

The Midheaven ruler is Saturn, and at Saturn's degree of 10 Aquarius 54, Saturn is the sign ruler and triplicity ruler and Mercury is the term and face ruler. Where does Venus come into play?

I easily see that Venus has the most dignity at the Lot of Work degree (26 Taurus 13) because Venus is the sign ruler and triplicity ruler.

Thank you for any clarification you may provide.

Arian Maverick

Vista

Thank you both for the reply, especially Bob for the detailed work on my chart. It's sounds pretty bleak for me and getting worse since my stepdad had a massive heart attach yesterday and is unlikely going to make. I have known him 30 years...

May I ask two questions, what kind of software are you using and where can I find more information on "lots."

Thanks again.

Vista

I used astro's relocation software and it appears that regardless of where I live in the US, all my planets seem to stay in their natal placements. The only exception is Hawaii where my Venus moves to the 9th house.

BTW, I live in the San Diego area presently.

ethertwist

Vista,

I'm so sorry about your stepdad. :( I offer my deep condolences and hope the best for him and for you!

Bob,

Out of curiosity, what are the formulas for calculating the Lots of Wealth, Labor, Work, etc.?

waybread

I hate to say this, but many astrologers don't find the Arabian parts or lots to be very meaningful. But Vista, if they make sense for your life so far, so be it.

Re: getting another degree, think through what this will do to your finances. Would you have to take out a student loan that would increase your debt load, for example?

It appears to me from a modern astrology perspective that the ruler of your MC, Saturn, is in your 11th house. Career-wise, this can be read two ways: (1) that you would be happiest working for a large organization, notably one where your co-workers are your friends; and (2) that your friends may actually be helpful in finding a job for you.

Which makes me wonder, how are you networking?

Saturn can also show where we feel inadequate or frustrated, so you may feel your friendships aren't solid enough to utilize in your job search.

The sun in Capricorn in your 10th house normally suggests administrative ability. This need not mean a faceless bureaucrat, but rather someone with a particular useful skill.

With your strong Cancer moon in the 4th house, I wonder if you are a home-body, who might be happiest with a home-based enterprise. With that Mercury/Saturn in Aquarius, how are your Internet skills? Can you think of an innovative way to use your skills while working from home? You might combine everything by teleworking for a larger company.

I wouldn't see sales as your strong suit. Rather, with your chart and educational background, you might work in a more administrative way for a company that sells medical appliances.

But don't blame yourself or your chart. Unemployment in the US has put many people out of work, regardless of their horoscopes.

BobZemco

Bob, are you using Ptolemy's Table of Essential Dignities or another system?

Ptolemy. You have to be careful because Bonatti uses a modified Egyptian Table, and Lily made his own modifications to the Ptolemy. They agree for the most part, but there are major differences. The Chaldeans had their own table as well.

I can see that Venus has the most dignity at the Midheaven degree because this is a day chart (Sun above the horizon) so Venus is the triplicity ruler and term ruler. (I admit this confuses me slightly, since I learned, perhaps incorrectly, that the sign ruler was worth 5 points of dignity, the exaltation ruler 4 points of dignity, the triplicity ruler 3 points of dignity, the term ruler 2 points of dignity, and the face ruler 1 point of dignity. Under this simplified system, wouldn't Saturn and Venus have an equal number of points?)

There's a weighted system and an unweighted system, and there's a lot of confusion as to when to use which. Schmidt and few others figured out that the Persians discombobulated Greek facis and then confused it with the Chaldean Decans (which we call Face). What they were actually looking at is if a Planet is in aspect or in the correct facing (with respect to the Sun).

You use an equal or unweighted scoring system (+1 for each Dignity plus 1 point if it aspects the point in question) for Topical Almutens, but for something like the Almuten of the Soul/Chart you use a weighted system (and you also assign points to the Houses the Planets are in).

That makes a lot more sense, because if you use a weighted system for Topical Almutens, you come up with the same 3 or 4 Planets all the time, which is silly (and defeats the whole purpose).

As far as the Terms, that's something you'll have to play with. I used to use what I thought were Ptolemy's but were actually Lily's modifications to Ptolemy's Terms, and that didn't work out so well and I switch to Egyptian Terms and that worked better, and then I hunted down and found Ptolemy's Terms without Lily's modifications and that works even better.

You can see that better in Horary. The primary issue for me is Peregrine Planets. A Peregrine Planet is a wanderer, someone who is divorced from what they know for whatever reason. A stranger in a strange land. Could be a Serb living in Greece, an Indian in the UK, an Aussie in Ireland, a Brit in the US. Could be someone outside their race or ethnicity, an inter-ethnic, inter-racial or even inter-faith relationship. Could show someone outside their socio-economic class (rich girl and guy from the wrong-side-of-the-tracks or rich guy and trailer park trash). Could also be someone literally wandering with no clear direction or purpose in life at the moment, and if impeded by Malefics, it'll be someone spiteful and malicious. In a job Horary it could indicate the Querent is not even remotely qualified for the job. Things like that. There's a lot of diversity here with people all over the world, so you are more likely to see Peregrine significators, indicating someone outside their homeland or cultural group, and I do with Ptolemy so I'll stick with that for now.

The Midheaven ruler is Saturn, and at Saturn's degree of 10 Aquarius 54, Saturn is the sign ruler and triplicity ruler and Mercury is the term and face ruler. Where does Venus come into play?

I just set up a (really) crude table:

.........................MC..........MC Ruler......Lot of Work.......Lot of Work Ruler
Sign.. ...............Saturn....Saturn..........Venus................Jupiter
Exaltation.........Mars.......(None)..........Moon.................(None)
Triplicity............Venus.....Saturn...........Venus...............Sun
Term.................Venus.....Mercury.........Mars.................Jupiter
Facing/Aspect...(None)....Venus...........(None)..............(None)

Venus makes applying sextile to Saturn.

From that:

Saturn gets 3 Dignities
Jupiter gets 2 Dignities
Mars gets 2 Dignities
Sun gets 1 Dignity
Venus gets 5 Dignities
Mercury gets 1 Dignity
Moon gets 1 Dignity

Ptolemy had a thing against using the Greek Lots, maybe because he didn't get the Marc Antony doll with kung-fu grip and the Egyptian Bireme with moveable oars and adjustable sails (batteries not included) for Christmas one year. Anyway his method of calculating the Almuten of Wealth using only Jupiter, the Lot of Fortune and the Dispositor of the Lot of Fortune just doesn't work.

Thank you both for the reply, especially Bob for the detailed work on my chart. It's sounds pretty bleak for me and getting worse since my stepdad had a massive heart attach yesterday and is unlikely going to make. I have known him 30 years...

May I ask two questions, what kind of software are you using and where can I find more information on "lots."

Solar Fire and there's a Lot calculator on the internet plus quite a few web sites. Probably be easier to look under Arabic Parts.

Probably the best way to learn them is pick a few that interest you (there's 124 or so) and then go back through your Solar Returns and look at the conditions of the Lot and the Lot Ruler. Some of the Lots are for Horary/Mundane charts only, others can be used in Natal, Solar Return or Horary, and then others just for Natal or Solar Return.

I only use 15-18 on a regular basis, and then maybe a few others if something in the chart jumps out at me.

I used astro's relocation software and it appears that regardless of where I live in the US, all my planets seem to stay in their natal placements. The only exception is Hawaii where my Venus moves to the 9th house.

BTW, I live in the San Diego area presently.

Then that really wouldn't be an option, so it might be best to focus on what you can control in the here and now. Maybe in the future an opportunity will present itself. There is a Lot of Travel.

Anyway this is your current Solar Return:

attachment.php

You can see Venus squares the Lot of Work. Saturn opposes the Lot of Labor. Your Solar Return Ascendant Ruler and your Profectional Year Ruler Mars is Combust. Mars receives the Sun, but that only makes the Sun not Malefic and Sun/Mars are Enemies anyway so things could actually be worse, like Sun/Mars in Cancer or Libra.

Mercury who rules your Lot of Work is in Detriment and squares Jupiter, and while Jupiter receives Mercury, Pisces is another House that Mercury hates so that's like taking two steps forward and then one step backward.

Moon opposes your Lot of Fortune.

You said your step-father had an heart attack. This is not something I would have seen, but I believe the step parent of the opposite gender is the House opposite the parent. That would make your step-father the Leo Midheaven, and 21° Leo is a Pitted Degree.

This is just a bad year for you.

This is your upcoming Solar Return:

attachment.php

Now the key to this is that Taurus is your Profectional Ascendant making Venus the Year Ruler. You see Venus Angular but Peregrine (that would be understandable for your situation). You have the nice trine with Mutual Reception with Saturn. Venus receives Saturn the Ascendant Ruler in Libra and Saturn receives Venus in Aquarius. Saturn is Exalted and Direct, plus he's a Diurnal Planet up in the Day Sky where he should be in a Day Chart.

Your Lot of Wealth is Angular in the Ascendant and its Dispositor Saturn is again Exalted and Direct and in trine with Venus and also note your Lot of Labor is conjunct Saturn and trine Venus, and your Lot of Work is trine Sun.

This chart isn't perfect, but it's certainly better. The one problem I see is Moon square Saturn.

Attachments

• Vista 2011 SR.jpg
    Vista 2011 SR.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Vista 2012 SR.jpg
    Vista 2012 SR.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 190

Vista

I hate to say this, but many astrologers don't find the Arabian parts or lots to be very meaningful. But Vista, if they make sense for your life so far, so be it.

Re: getting another degree, think through what this will do to your finances. Would you have to take out a student loan that would increase your debt load, for example?

It appears to me from a modern astrology perspective that the ruler of your MC, Saturn, is in your 11th house. Career-wise, this can be read two ways: (1) that you would be happiest working for a large organization, notably one where your co-workers are your friends; and (2) that your friends may actually be helpful in finding a job for you.

Which makes me wonder, how are you networking?

Saturn can also show where we feel inadequate or frustrated, so you may feel your friendships aren't solid enough to utilize in your job search.

The sun in Capricorn in your 10th house normally suggests administrative ability. This need not mean a faceless bureaucrat, but rather someone with a particular useful skill.

With your strong Cancer moon in the 4th house, I wonder if you are a home-body, who might be happiest with a home-based enterprise. With that Mercury/Saturn in Aquarius, how are your Internet skills? Can you think of an innovative way to use your skills while working from home? You might combine everything by teleworking for a larger company.

I wouldn't see sales as your strong suit. Rather, with your chart and educational background, you might work in a more administrative way for a company that sells medical appliances.

But don't blame yourself or your chart. Unemployment in the US has put many people out of work, regardless of their horoscopes.

Thank you Etherwist for you well wishes...wish there was better news, but it looks like he is brain dead at this point.

Waybread,
Thank you kindly for your analysis. You gave me much to think about and only reiterated what I thought about the cost and going back to school. I still have loans from my original Bachelor's degree. And using Arabian Parts and Lots are not something I have ever used but for the POF, so I am not really sure what to think of them. I might do as Bob suggested and go back and look at past Solar Returns and see how they fit into the year. But I have to say that I haven't found all my Solar Returns to be that telling either, some were some weren't for the most part.

You are correct in regards to the me not being that strong in sales, or should I say I can sell something I really love something, but I don't enjoy medical sales as much now after so many years and feel quite frankly, pretty burned out. I am most definitely a homebody and feel regenerated being at home and on the Internet studying what interests me, astrology in particular, as well as reading. I would love nothing more than to have a business I could run from home. My Internet skills are pretty good, although programming and such are not something I know how to do. Perhaps medical billing or something of that nature could work. I always kind of fantasized myself a romance novel writer, but haven't done any writing at this point. Also, I always thought maybe real-estate would be a good fit for me, but of course we all know where that business is now with many real-estate agents starving....
I do network with friends, but I have always felt that I have been a better friend to people than they have been to me. It's better now that I am older, but still lingers.

Again, thank you for your time and effort, it was very much appreciated!
Vista

Vista

Ptolemy. You have to be careful because Bonatti uses a modified Egyptian Table, and Lily made his own modifications to the Ptolemy. They agree for the most part, but there are major differences. The Chaldeans had their own table as well.

There's a weighted system and an unweighted system, and there's a lot of confusion as to when to use which. Schmidt and few others figured out that the Persians discombobulated Greek facis and then confused it with the Chaldean Decans (which we call Face). What they were actually looking at is if a Planet is in aspect or in the correct facing (with respect to the Sun).

You use an equal or unweighted scoring system (+1 for each Dignity plus 1 point if it aspects the point in question) for Topical Almutens, but for something like the Almuten of the Soul/Chart you use a weighted system (and you also assign points to the Houses the Planets are in).

That makes a lot more sense, because if you use a weighted system for Topical Almutens, you come up with the same 3 or 4 Planets all the time, which is silly (and defeats the whole purpose).

As far as the Terms, that's something you'll have to play with. I used to use what I thought were Ptolemy's but were actually Lily's modifications to Ptolemy's Terms, and that didn't work out so well and I switch to Egyptian Terms and that worked better, and then I hunted down and found Ptolemy's Terms without Lily's modifications and that works even better.

You can see that better in Horary. The primary issue for me is Peregrine Planets. A Peregrine Planet is a wanderer, someone who is divorced from what they know for whatever reason. A stranger in a strange land. Could be a Serb living in Greece, an Indian in the UK, an Aussie in Ireland, a Brit in the US. Could be someone outside their race or ethnicity, an inter-ethnic, inter-racial or even inter-faith relationship. Could show someone outside their socio-economic class (rich girl and guy from the wrong-side-of-the-tracks or rich guy and trailer park trash). Could also be someone literally wandering with no clear direction or purpose in life at the moment, and if impeded by Malefics, it'll be someone spiteful and malicious. In a job Horary it could indicate the Querent is not even remotely qualified for the job. Things like that. There's a lot of diversity here with people all over the world, so you are more likely to see Peregrine significators, indicating someone outside their homeland or cultural group, and I do with Ptolemy so I'll stick with that for now.

I just set up a (really) crude table:

.........................MC..........MC Ruler......Lot of Work.......Lot of Work Ruler
Sign.. ...............Saturn....Saturn..........Venus................Jupiter
Exaltation.........Mars.......(None)..........Moon.................(None)
Triplicity............Venus.....Saturn...........Venus...............Sun
Term.................Venus.....Mercury.........Mars.................Jupiter
Facing/Aspect...(None)....Venus...........(None)..............(None)

Venus makes applying sextile to Saturn.

From that:

Saturn gets 3 Dignities
Jupiter gets 2 Dignities
Mars gets 2 Dignities
Sun gets 1 Dignity
Venus gets 5 Dignities
Mercury gets 1 Dignity
Moon gets 1 Dignity

Ptolemy had a thing against using the Greek Lots, maybe because he didn't get the Marc Antony doll with kung-fu grip and the Egyptian Bireme with moveable oars and adjustable sails (batteries not included) for Christmas one year. Anyway his method of calculating the Almuten of Wealth using only Jupiter, the Lot of Fortune and the Dispositor of the Lot of Fortune just doesn't work.

Solar Fire and there's a Lot calculator on the internet plus quite a few web sites. Probably be easier to look under Arabic Parts.

Probably the best way to learn them is pick a few that interest you (there's 124 or so) and then go back through your Solar Returns and look at the conditions of the Lot and the Lot Ruler. Some of the Lots are for Horary/Mundane charts only, others can be used in Natal, Solar Return or Horary, and then others just for Natal or Solar Return.

I only use 15-18 on a regular basis, and then maybe a few others if something in the chart jumps out at me.

Then that really wouldn't be an option, so it might be best to focus on what you can control in the here and now. Maybe in the future an opportunity will present itself. There is a Lot of Travel.

Anyway this is your current Solar Return:

attachment.php

You can see Venus squares the Lot of Work. Saturn opposes the Lot of Labor. Your Solar Return Ascendant Ruler and your Profectional Year Ruler Mars is Combust. Mars receives the Sun, but that only makes the Sun not Malefic and Sun/Mars are Enemies anyway so things could actually be worse, like Sun/Mars in Cancer or Libra.

Mercury who rules your Lot of Work is in Detriment and squares Jupiter, and while Jupiter receives Mercury, Pisces is another House that Mercury hates so that's like taking two steps forward and then one step backward.

Moon opposes your Lot of Fortune.

You said your step-father had an heart attack. This is not something I would have seen, but I believe the step parent of the opposite gender is the House opposite the parent. That would make your step-father the Leo Midheaven, and 21° Leo is a Pitted Degree.

This is just a bad year for you.

This is your upcoming Solar Return:

attachment.php

Now the key to this is that Taurus is your Profectional Ascendant making Venus the Year Ruler. You see Venus Angular but Peregrine (that would be understandable for your situation). You have the nice trine with Mutual Reception with Saturn. Venus receives Saturn the Ascendant Ruler in Libra and Saturn receives Venus in Aquarius. Saturn is Exalted and Direct, plus he's a Diurnal Planet up in the Day Sky where he should be in a Day Chart.

Your Lot of Wealth is Angular in the Ascendant and its Dispositor Saturn is again Exalted and Direct and in trine with Venus and also note your Lot of Labor is conjunct Saturn and trine Venus, and your Lot of Work is trine Sun.

This chart isn't perfect, but it's certainly better. The one problem I see is Moon square Saturn.

Wow, this was quite interesting! Thank you for such a detailed explanation!
It kind of makes my head spin truthfully. I think I will do as you suggest and look at the lots of past Solar Returns. Thanks again!!

jmerle179

Bob, as always, I'm amazed by your knowledge of this subject. I really appreciate you taking time out to post on this site.

Your replies in this post were fascinating. I didn't understand much, but found them fascinating just the same. I plan to print your replies and refer to them later, after I gain enough astro-knowledge to decipher what they mean.

Vista, this weekend I was looking for astrology software. I saw Solar Fire, which seems to be very popular, but at $325 it is way out of my price range. (I too am a So Cal economy casualty, laid off from a dying profession almost two years ago.) Instead, I downloaded two free programs called AstroWin and Horary Helper. Horary Helper has Arabic Parts data, though I'm clueless what to do with the information it gives me.
http://www.astrowin.org/hhwin.php
http://www.astrowin.org/astrowin.php

P.S. I also used to dream of being a fiction author. I even wrote a complete manuscript last summer, but got cold feet when it came time to search for an agent. Being unemployed tends to heighten that ol' Fear of Rejection feeling.

ethertwist

Bob, as always, I'm amazed by your knowledge of this subject. I really appreciate you taking time out to post on this site.

Your replies in this post were fascinating. I didn't understand much, but found them fascinating just the same. I plan to print your replies and refer to them later, after I gain enough astro-knowledge to decipher what they mean.

Vista, this weekend I was looking for astrology software. I saw Solar Fire, which seems to be very popular, but at $325 it is way out of my price range. (I too am a So Cal economy casualty, laid off from a dying profession almost two years ago.) Instead, I downloaded two free programs called AstroWin and Horary Helper. Horary Helper has Arabic Parts data, though I'm clueless what to do with the information it gives me.
http://www.astrowin.org/hhwin.php
http://www.astrowin.org/astrowin.php

P.S. I also used to dream of being a fiction author. I even wrote a complete manuscript last summer, but got cold feet when it came time to search for an agent. Being unemployed tends to heighten that ol' Fear of Rejection feeling.

That Horary Helper is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing that link with all of us. I used it to look my natal chart from a Traditional Astrology perspective and it's helped me to identify certain things that I was having difficulty calculating.:smile:

melina

I have a question regarding this topic.

Vista, you said you have moved from your birth city. Would you use your natal birth chart or a relocated birth chart to determine your career?

I moved to another continent several years ago and I'm not sure which chart to look at when trying to understand my career objectives. I feel like I'm at a dead end in my career as well and should try something completely different.