Lot of rectitude formula for a day chart ?

Chrysalis

If the Lot of rectitude for a night chart is asc+mercury-mars, then what would it be for a day chart, or how would i work it out ?

piercethevale

The "Lot of Rectitude"?
"This Liberty then being abused, and Moral Evil introduced; Natural Evil became not only useful, but necessary. When Men have corrupted their Nature, and plunged themselves in Sin and Guilt; they will either be reformed, or they will not. If they will not, Suffering becomes their Due ; their just Lot, and unavoidable portion of Divine Rectitude"
John Balguy 1733

piercethevale

Its okay i've found out, for a day chart you just reverse it, so it will be ...

Asc + mars - mercury.
Asc + Mars - Mercury is the only Lot I have listed on the Astrological Parts List thread of mine [that I described as an "ongoing project in continuous progress"] and what is derived from that as to any so named as the Lot of Rectitude. I can't remember from where I got the source for that info though and I know I would have noticed if there was a "nocturnal formula", perhaps the website I got it form, or person, wasn't thorough enough?
Would you be so kind as to cite a source for either, preferably both, the diurnal and, or, nocturnal?

I do so want to keep improving the listings. My aim has been from the start to produce the most comprehensive list of Arabic Parts, Hermetic Lots, modern Trans-Saturnian Astrological Parts and to also determine and list those that apply to natal, those that apply to mundane, and those that apply to horary so identified.

I've never encountered anyone that has mentioned using it before, would you be so kind as to inform me how and why it is used...and I'm assuming it's for horary charts?
Horary is one subject of astrology I have little knowledge about and even less experience.

Thanks for this thread.
Cheers :biggrin:

Chrysalis

Lot of rectitude to me means "the right thing to do", i was helping someone out with an horary chart in this thread, hence looking into it.....

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116223

I got the info i originally asked about here...

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/alparts.html

[The following tables present Al Biruni's data in modern format.

S = the calculation remains the same by day and night
R = the calculation is reversed by night.

The reversed formula of the first 7 parts are shown, the others follow the same procedure of reversing the order of the planets in the calculation that projects the difference between them from the ascendant]

piercethevale

Lot of rectitude to me means "the right thing to do", i was helping someone out with an horary chart in this thread, hence looking into it.....

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116223

I got the info i originally asked about here...

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/alparts.html

[The following tables present Al Biruni's data in modern format.

S = the calculation remains the same by day and night
R = the calculation is reversed by night.

The reversed formula of the first 7 parts are shown, the others follow the same procedure of reversing the order of the planets in the calculation that projects the difference between them from the ascendant]

Thank you for replying and providing me with the source. I may just add a link to the page at Skyscript, that you have provided, so as to keep the list I have compiled, so far to date, from getting any more weighed down by so many alternative assignations and additional applications that are taken from Al-Biruni.
You might find that author, James R. Lewis' book. "Astrology Encyclopedia" to be of assistance to you in understanding. While I don't agree with some of what He wrote I do find his knowledge of astrology in times of antiquity to be somewhat enlightening.

There is another, somewhat, well known author...of who I can't presently recall the name of... that wrote , in their (much studied) opinion that Al-Biruni was but little more than a scribe that travelled extensively and noted what astrologers were using as techniques in many lands, chiefly in India, but never demonstrated a working knowledge of the Arabic Parts in actual use. I'll busy myself with trying to find where I read that and, hopefully, be able to cite the reference in short time.

The aforementioned author, James R. Lewis, however wrote in his encyclopedia pertaining to the Parts/Lots. (Quote) "In light of the well attested fact that much of the astrological lore of Albumasar, Al-Buruni, Messhalla, and others came from the polytheistic Hermetic-Sabian community at what is today Harran, in southeast Turkey, there has been a long standing assumption on the part of some esotericists that the medieval astrological tradition was a vehicle for preserving the Hellenistic pagan Hermetic gnosis. This assumption appears correct." (Unquote)

Which has been my point all along that without a knowledge of the "Sabian Symbols" one cannot fully comprehend what they are about and do so indicate.

The Part of Rectification, you gave, is also known as the Part of Intelligence and Wisdom. It's reverse formula, that you cite as for being applied to nocturnal charts, has been known to be called the Part of Disputes, aka Part of Lawsuits, but I along with a few other astrologers, notably forum member Phoenix Venus, have found it to be a "Part of Innocence" (or a Part of Naivete) as it was described to me, to so be, by a most talented, and renowned, clairvoyant whom I was introduced to 15 years ago and has proven herself to me repeatedly ever since to be truly clairvoyant. It does make perfect sense, imho, that the reverse formula of what one is most skilled at in applying their intelligence should then be what one hasn't a clue as to what it's about or how it should be applied.

I am of the opinion, therefore, that what is meant by "rectitude" is indicating what should be applied is ones most skillful means of applying their intelligence in order to rectify their present situation in life..that is as to the formula you gave for diurnal.
I would, however, recommend not using, the so called, nocturnal formula in expectation of the same result.
I have a want to call that rather as a 'Part of Wreck-it-tude".

I do recommend that you try applying the Sabian Symbol for the Tropical Zodiacal degree found to be the location of your own Part of Intelligence & Skill, that you identify as a "Part of Rectitude", and see for yourself if the symbol does indicate what you are most skillful at by applying your intelligence and to do the same for the reverse formula and see if the symbolism does indicate what you have the greatest difficulty in understanding how to apply?

I do recommend the same for all Astrological Parts in the manner of, or to that which they are said to representative of, to arrive at an understanding that these Parts/Lots are not only a specific point of activation but also an explanation as to what "actional, individual/mental, or cultural/emotional" (Dane Rudhyar) application they have.
I will add that, in my humble, but much studied, tried, and tested opinion that you should avoid using any Parts that include in their formula for derivation what are considered to be dignified degrees of the planets for the reason I have never seen one shred of evidence to convince me there is such a thing as a dignified degree of any planet or luminary.

I also wish to caution you in the use of those Parts/Lots that in their formula call for the Lord, or Ruler, of any House, Cusp or Sign as I am personally convinced that those pertaining to any planet outside the orbit of Mars to be erroneous but that's just my opinion from my experience utilizing astrology and what studies I have made concerning cosmology... you might well find to your own satisfaction otherwise.

Again, thank you for the link. I now have a number of different assignations for many formulae of Parts, that I was previously unaware of, to test out and a few entirely new (to me) ones also.:cool::smile: