planet's conjunction cycle

nis

Hi friends,
i am bit confuded about this.this might be silly question to ask but cant help myself.As Moon has 19 years, Mercury 79 years etc. cycle's.how is this as i know ex. Mercury is faster planet complete its revolution in even less time the year then how its cycle is Mercury 79 years. is it measured like its conjunction with sun.then what will be begging point to measure.to understand my problem better pls follow this link.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/planetary-periods-or-cycles.php

Regard's
Nis

Anachiel

Hi friends,
i am bit confuded about this.this might be silly question to ask but cant help myself.As Moon has 19 years, Mercury 79 years etc. cycle's.how is this as i know ex. Mercury is faster planet complete its revolution in even less time the year then how its cycle is Mercury 79 years. is it measured like its conjunction with sun.then what will be begging point to measure.to understand my problem better pls follow this link.

Regard's
Nis

Both Mercury and Venus make inferior and superior conjunctions with the Sun. But, between inferior conjunctions at the same degree of the zodiac is a different matter. Ironically, it is Mercury's very speed that slows this process down and because of it's retrograde motion. Since, Earth is also moving and, we are observing all this from Earth, of course, it takes some time for things to line-up again between faster moving bodies, than it does for a slower moving body in this case.

It's the same for Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter being faster than Saturn lengthens the time for everything to line up exactly again.

Of course, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are completely different animals and are treated as such for their planetary cycles which, are not so easy to measure and are not exact either.

The moon is an entirely different matter. It's cycle is called, as you read, the Metonic Cycle, is simply based on how long it takes to return to the exact place in the sky as it was before and in the same phase. 19 years. So, for example, it will take the Moon 19 years to return to the exact same place, in the same phase, it occupies right now.

That's the basic breakdown. I hope it helps.

Bona Fortuna,

Anachiel

Hi friends,

Regard's
Nis
If you are new to learning astrology, I would ignore these 'cycles' and focus on the main centre of learning, planets in signs, houses, aspects, hemispheres, elements etc. then move onto chiron, nodes, vertex, transits, progresssions, solar arcs, solar returns...... so there's plenty to go at first.....

I've never even heard of these 'cycles' and certain don't both using them and if you did a poll on AW I'm sure 99% don't use them either, especially Modern astrologers...

Anachiel

They are mainly used in Hellenist Astrology as timing devices for major events in one's life. Greater and finer divisions of time can be assessed from these cycles and what events may occur within them similar to how the Vedic 'dasa' periods are used.

These were also combined with what is termed as ascensional times to further the predictive process and determine what type of event would likely occur to the native.

I believe Vettius Valens also touched upon this technique and he is important because he is one of the few Roman astrologers or writers of astrology to catalogue the Roman astrological techniques in use in that time period. These are also referred to as 'chronocrators' and 'time lords', I believe.

The Metonic Cycle, interestingly, is what we use to determine Easter each year.

Of course, most people and modern astrologers don't use them. Mainly because they didn't know they existed.

Last edited:

nis

Hi,
thanks Anachiel
i think two planet conjucts with each other just ahead some degrees(ex 1)then its previou point of conjuction one and that "some degrees(ex 1)"makes one whole cycle after long time of years.i wanted to learn those thinks"planetory periods".is their any equality between two conjuction (for ex.as they may occure on every 70 degrees etc) so that we can predict next conjuction without ephimeris(ex.saturn mars conjuction on every 2 years)

i think u understood my problem better.i wanted to understood math of astrology
pls help

Regard's
Nis

JUPITERASC

Hi,
thanks Anachiel
i think two planet conjucts with each other just ahead some degrees(ex 1)then its previou point of conjuction one and that "some degrees(ex 1)"makes one whole cycle after long time of years.i wanted to learn those thinks"planetory periods".is their any equality between two conjuction (for ex.as they may occure on every 70 degrees etc) so that we can predict next conjuction without ephimeris(ex.saturn mars conjuction on every 2 years)

i think u understood my problem better.i wanted to understood math of astrology
pls help

Regard's
Nis
An ephemeris makes planetary conjunctions easier to find without having to do maths (which would not necessarily give you an answer that is accurate to the exact second nis) - whereas an ephemeris or astrological freeware would :smile:

nis

Hi friends,
today i come up with one more question.has anyone checked planet to planet synodic cycles. for ex.venus jupiter(conjuction)cycle forms on every 12 year,mars venus (conjuction)cycle forms on every 32 year.can you have any source which can provide me all such planet to planet synodic cycles on outer planets also like saturn mars cycle etc. as it will be difficult to go on and check ephemeris for manny years.
Any suggestion..

Regar'd'S
nIS

JUPITERASC

Hi friends,
today i come up with one more question.has anyone checked planet to planet synodic cycles. for ex.venus jupiter(conjuction)cycle forms on every 12 year,mars venus (conjuction)cycle forms on every 32 year.can you have any source which can provide me all such planet to planet synodic cycles on outer planets also like saturn mars cycle etc. as it will be difficult to go on and check ephemeris for manny years.
Any suggestion.. Regar'd'S nIS

A 3000 year online Ephemeris that simply requires you choose a year then input the date is available freely at http://www.khaldea.com/kldaephem/2000/nov2011gmt.shtml :smile:

JUPITERASC

As Moon has 19 years
19 years is the Metonic Cycle of the Moon :smile:

The METONIC CYCLE is the Moon's 19 year cycle where the Moon returns to exactly the same place (at the same longitude and against the same constellation) in the sky with the same phase.

This can be seen as:
19 tropical years - 365.24 days x 19 = 6939.56 days
235 synodic months - 29.5306 days x 235 = 6939.691 days
254 tropical months - 27.322 days x 254 = 6939.788 days