Natal Chart Interpretation Method

astro88

Hi, I study Astrology for almost 3 years and although I have good knowledge, I lack a little in practical experience. As I'm finally going to interpret my chart, I want to do it in a practical and wise manner, to avoid tendencious behaviour, as I could unconsciously manipulate the reading.

What I want is a help from experienced people to help me with little details and the steps of interpretation. The method I have in mind is based on authors like André Barbault, Stephen Arroyo, Marion D March & Joan McEvers, Ana Maria Costa Ribeiro, Dane Rudhyar (still reading books) and others; also many internet articles. Of course I have my independent and individualized view of astrology, but as I said I am insecure.

Fisrt thing is to consider what will be used in the chart, which difers a lot from individual to individual. But personally I like to keep it almost simple, using Luminaries, Planets and Nodes. For Aspects, the Major with orbs 5º - 8º (depending on aspect) and up to 2º for minor (inconjunct, semi and sesqui-square and maybe semi-sextile). I hesitate using Chiron and other Asteroids. I use Placidus Houses.

Then, I should stabilish some rules. Like, may I consider Mars in Aries in House 11 also in House 12, being this 6º of it's cusp also in Aries. In terms of interpretation, I consider both houses?? And weighting planets by Hemisfere?? I have Moon in 0º Scorpio in House 6 conjunct the Descendant in 4º Scorpio.

After that, I would start the interpretation. First I could analyse the Chart as a whole, like listing the most prominent Hemisfere, Quadrant(s), Triplicity and Quadruplicuty by House and Sign. If it was the case, note the Final Dispositor, Mutual Receptions and Strenght of the planets and etc. André Barabault talks about a Dominant factor, based on the most prominent thing(s) in the chart, like most ocuppied sign, strongest planet (by strentgh in conjunction to angles, rulership and exaltation, sign, house, aspects...). For example King Luis XII has as dominant: Cancer-Jupiter-Moon. Richelieu: Mars-Scorpio-Virgo. What would be mine, Venus-Virgo-Pluto? Or Mars in Aries co-rulling Moon in Scorpio and with many aspects?? Maybe I'd consider the pattern of the chart, the "signature" (the result of the strongest element with the strongest mode, like Ar-Fixed, corresponding to Aquarius), aspect patterns and or repeating patterns, like Mc in Aquarius and Uranus conjunct Saturn; or Saturn/Uranus in House 8, in semi-square to Pluto, and sextile to Moon in Scorpio. Among other things. What about the oriental planet??? Anyway.

So, maybe I could go from the whole to interpret house to house, or planet by planet. Interpreting house-to-house, I'd fisrt consider the sign, then planet(s) in there and the house ruler. Planet by planet, it's celestial condition (sign, dispositor and aspects) and earthy condition, by house and it's ruler. Again, what if a planet is in a house but conjunct the next house cusp?? What about the personal Moon phase?? Or the theory of encadrement?? It's said that transits and progressions can only bring what is potential in the chart, so encadrement of Sun, Moon and Asc would be good indicators of "Destiny".

And/Or I could interpret by specific purpose, like Career and Succes, analyzing the dominant of the chart and Sun, MC and it's ruler.

I want sugestions, these steps I pointed are just for example, but ayone can feel open to coment. here goes the chart:

Oct 11 1988 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (22 S 54/ 043 W 14) - 19:03 (BZT2) or 22:03 (GMT). Anything, my ASC is 4º Taurus.

I wait the transiting Neptune in Aquarius in trine with my Sun and Mercury will help. :lol: :lol:

Lucas

wilsontc

Staff member
Chart analysis

Lucas,

I like your style! Your idea of "big to little" exactly fits with my own thoughts on astrological chart interpretation. And Steven Arroyo is one of my favorite (if not my MOST favorite) astrological authors. So I suggest using his "big to little" approach:
- Overall hemisphere analysis: top/bottom, left/right, etc.
- Aspect patterns focusing on a particular energy in the chart by sign/planet/house
- Clusters of planets/signs/focus on particular house
- Dispositings
- Planets in signs/houses of rulership/detriment/exaltation/fall
- Individual house analysis

To help with this it is useful to create "keywords" to identify sign/planet/house so chart patterns are easier to recognize. My astrological website ( http://www.geocities.com/wilsontctc ) has suggestions for 12 one word keywords which can be used for all astrological chart interpretation (see Step 5).

Finally, the only way to learn astrological chart interpretation is to DO it. Start with your own chart, then interpret those of close friends, then distant friends, then outright enemies, then those who don't know you, etc. The Internet is a great place to start! Post your chart analyses and then ask for feedback from others. That's a sure way to find out when you are "right on target"...and when you have "missed the mark" in your astrological interpretations! ;)

Astrologically interpreting,

Tim

astro88

Hi Tim, again... I read your interpretation method. The keywords seem to just fit , very nice. It helped me to how I'm going to interpret mine.