Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-15-2015, 12:02 AM
pharvey0829 pharvey0829 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

When Uranus was discovered, it was assigned rulership of aquarius. When neptune was discovered, it was assigned to pisces. When pluto was discovered, it was assigned to scorpio. However, going by distance from the earth, shouldn't pluto have been assigned to aries? Then if two planets are discovered beyond pluto, then they should be assigned to taurus and gemini respectively. Another way of assigning rulership to uranus, neptune and pluto would be to have uranus and saturn co-rule aquarius and capricorn. Neptune and Jupiter would co-rule pisces and sagittarius. Pluto and mars would co-rule aries and scorpio, preserving the symmetry of rulerships. Or should the outer planets even rule signs at all?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 10-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Oddity's Avatar
Oddity Oddity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,982
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

In modern astrology, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto either rule or co-rule Aquarius, Pisces, and Scorpio respectively.

In traditional astrology, they don't rule anything.

Take your pick.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 10-15-2015, 12:18 AM
pharvey0829 pharvey0829 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

If they can't be assigned rulerships without breaking the symmetry of the traditional rulerships, then I would be inclined to say they don't rule anything.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 10-15-2015, 01:14 AM
capriquarian97 capriquarian97 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 51
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharvey0829 View Post
If they can't be assigned rulerships without breaking the symmetry of the traditional rulerships, then I would be inclined to say they don't rule anything.
Astrology is an evolving system, Rules change with greater understanding.

If you think traditional astrology is the only true method, then I would be inclined to say that Pluto, Uranus, and Neptune are completely obsolete and don't matter at all.


Traditional Astrology applied and worked for the ancients, but with the change of information nowadays, Modern astrology applies and works for us.

Last edited by capriquarian97; 10-15-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Oddity's Avatar
Oddity Oddity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,982
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriquarian97 View Post

Traditional Astrology applied and worked for the ancients, but with the change of information nowadays, Modern astrology applies and works for us.
Traditional astrology isn't obsolete by any means. I think it depends on what you're trying to do with astrology.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:58 AM
capriquarian97 capriquarian97 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 51
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Traditional astrology isn't obsolete by any means. I think it depends on what you're trying to do with astrology.
sorry, i didn't mean to say it was obsolete, but what i mean is this :

Pluto wasn't discovered until 1930. When it was discovered, its astrological influence was activated, and became integrated into people's lives.

The same goes with Uranus and Neptune. We have to change the rules a little bit because 3 new planets have been activated, corresponding to their discovery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 10-15-2015, 07:04 AM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 21,468
Smile Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

The Rulers were divided into two groups, the Moon and Sun which move around the zodiac in one direction; and the planets Mercury through Saturn, which display both direct and retrograde motion. The unidirectional were given one sign each, the bidirectional two signs each. The signs are numbered 1 through 12. When Urania (as I prefer to call it) was discovered to be a planet instead of a faint star, the higher numbered sign was taken from the outermost planet that still ruled 2, so sign number 11 came under Uranian rulership. When Neptune was discovered, the higher numbered sign was taken from Jupiter. Finally, the higher numbered sign was taken from Mars and given to Pluto. Both the naming of the planets beyond Saturn and this reaSignment pattern appear to have been intuitive, inspired, I believe, by the Muse of Astrology and ruler of Aquarius, Urania. The original Rulership pattern was very likely based on a combination of a Heliocentric cypher involving Elements and Modes (The Sun, fixed in place Heliocentrically ruling the Fixed-Fire sign, and the four Cardinal sign rulers which also have Heliocentric patterns) and a numbering pattern beginning at the Moon ruling the sign of Summer Solstice, reaching Saturn at number 10 (Winter Solstice) and turning back. The numbering pattern ends in modern astrology but the Heliocentric cypher remains in place. And, the two inner planets, which appear as both morning and evening stars, still rule two signs.

Last edited by david starling; 10-15-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 10-15-2015, 08:05 AM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 54,636
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

The Rulers were divided into two groups, the Moon and Sun which move around the zodiac in one direction; and the planets Mercury through Saturn, which display both direct and retrograde motion. The unidirectional were given one sign each, the bidirectional two signs each. The signs are numbered 1 through 12. When Urania (as I prefer to call it) was discovered to be a planet instead of a faint star, the higher numbered sign was taken from the outermost planet that still ruled 2, so sign number 11 came under Uranian rulership. When Neptune was discovered, the higher numbered sign was taken from Jupiter. Finally, the higher numbered sign was taken from Mars and given to Pluto. Both the naming of the planets beyond Saturn and this reaSignment pattern appear to have been intuitive, inspired, I believe, by the Muse of Astrology and ruler of Aquarius, Urania. The original Rulership pattern was very likely based on a combination of a Heliocentric cypher involving Elements and Modes (The Sun, fixed in place Heliocentrically ruling the Fixed-Fire sign, and the four Cardinal sign rulers which also have Heliocentric patterns) and a numbering pattern beginning at the Moon ruling the sign of Summer Solstice, reaching Saturn at number 10 (Winter Solstice) and turning back. The numbering pattern ends in modern astrology but the Heliocentric cypher remains in place. And, the two inner planets, which appear as both morning and evening stars, still rule two signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_ View Post

I'm of the opinion that unless the pre-existing schema for assignation of exaltation is fully understood,
we have no reason to 'tinker' by adding in newer planets:
On what grounds would we do so if we do not understand its current logic?

Clearly the current logic was not based upon "this planet really really suits this sign" kind of mentality.
Therefore I would encourage Element to move away from his rationale.

I agree with whomever mentioned the aversions of the Thema Mundi.

But really I'd be inclined to not see Neptune as ruling Pisces either so I'm not sure how popular that theory would be.
I think I'm saying the same thing as Dr Farr (if I understand him properly) and would say that the modern planets may have some affinity with certain signs -
I just do not think that the affinity is to rule over the sign, and to have domicile dignity therefore in that sign.


I see some connections with Neptune and Pisces, it is true, and also see some with Pluto and Scorpio.
I tend to see more connections with Uranus and Aries tbh, but I'm not advocating anyone else follow that mentality of course.
It is just that I see Neptune as a 'blending' quality, and Uranus as having an 'individuating' or 'separative' quality that suits my understanding of Aries.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 21,468
Smile Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Saturn cannot possibly " suit" BOTH Capricorn and Aquarius. That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't rule them both, only that the paradigm of "suitability" is unsuitable for affirming sign-rulership. In my view, assigning Rulership requires logical patterning coupled with coincidental affirmation; the ancient symbolism is important but not primary--religious views from another era.

Last edited by david starling; 10-15-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
StillOne (02-22-2016)
  #10  
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:45 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 54,636
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Saturn cannot possibly " suit" BOTH Capricorn and Aquarius.
That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't rule them both,
only that the paradigm of "suitability" is unsuitable for affirming sign-rulership.
Each of the five visible planets has two houses (or Signs)
a day-time
and
a night-time

i.e.

Mercury:
Day-time Gemini
Night-time Virgo.
Mercury prefers Virgo.

Venus:
Day-time Libra
Night-time Taurus
Venus as a feminine planet prefers her night-house of Taurus.

Mars:
Day-time Aries
Night-time Scorpio
Masculine planet prefers his day-house.

Jupiter: Day-time Sagittarius
Night-time Pisces.
Masculine planet prefers his day-house.

Saturn: Day-time Aquarius
Night-time Capricorn.
Masculine planet prefers his day-house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post

For me (as a working hypothesis only),
the most I can do is assign an affinitive relationship of the outer planets to signs based upon elemental resonance
:

Uranus, air, so affinitive to the air signs;
Neptune, water, and so affinitive to water signs;
Pluto, fire, and so affinitive to the fire signs
(here I differ even from the greats like Charles Carter, and do not assign co-affinity of Pluto to Scorpio:
but realize that all Modernists do assign Pluto to Scorpio)


However, this entire subject (affinities/rulerships of the outers) is very speculative and highly theoretical,
and so is a rather nebulous area open to many varied opinions.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-17-2015), Oddity (10-15-2015)
  #11  
Unread 10-16-2015, 01:52 PM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,673
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Hey Jupiter, Mars prefers his night house Scorpio because he is of the night sect (Even though he is a male planet).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 02-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Marcoilrosso's Avatar
Marcoilrosso Marcoilrosso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 314
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Experience taught me that planets have peculiar virtues, and those of the three planets especially is to have a range too vast to be schematized in any system of dignity as we had known from the tradition. They have assonance with certain zodiac positions.
Still, I don't call them 'domicile or exaltation', nor I suppose that in the signs opposed would be any detrimented at all.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcoilrosso For This Useful Post:
david starling (02-22-2016)
  #13  
Unread 02-22-2016, 10:47 PM
david starling david starling is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 21,468
Smile Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoilrosso View Post
Experience taught me that planets have peculiar virtues, and those of the three planets especially is to have a range too vast to be schematized in any system of dignity as we had known from the tradition. They have assonance with certain zodiac positions.
Still, I don't call them 'domicile or exaltation', nor I suppose that in the signs opposed would be any detrimented at all.
"They have assonance with certain zodiac positions." Would you mind elaborating?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 02-23-2016, 05:38 PM
Marcoilrosso's Avatar
Marcoilrosso Marcoilrosso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 314
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
"They have assonance with certain zodiac positions." Would you mind elaborating?
Example: Uranus has similiraties with Mars and its signs; this is pretty evident if you see what actually happens with the events of this planet. And in intepreting a nativity, I clearly get the impression of this planet as Mars-like. If the house selected is Aquarius, it is agreeable: however, it is less agreeable that Leo should be its detriment, and least of all, to declare this planet as 'polar opposite' of the Sun, for they are not at all dissimilar.
Neptune bears even more similarities in the zodiac: I find only Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Leo, and Virgo to bear not some similarity with Neptune. Still, I hardly would call some of them detriment or exile: it was found evidence in the nativity, that from Neptune it comes an elusiveness pretty similar to that of Mercury. There is a post about Pluto dignities around here, and I discussed even it.
After this long premise: they cannot be schematized by mere scheme-rulership, because we get little understanding of their actual expression. One may even manage to put a good theory of why these three planets should be dignified in some place and not in one other: but in the actual practice, one very easily gets in a morass of mistakes and misunderstandings. It is way better to consider these three as per se planets.

Last edited by Marcoilrosso; 02-24-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcoilrosso For This Useful Post:
david starling (02-23-2016), Kali (05-04-2016)
  #15  
Unread 05-27-2016, 03:05 AM
diamondbaby's Avatar
diamondbaby diamondbaby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 55
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Depends on who you ask, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Use the rulers that work the best for you. To me, is ruled by only, is ruled by only, and is ruled by only.
__________________
Sagittarius Sun - 5th house - Aries/Mars decan of Sagittarius
Leo Moon - 1st house - Leo/Sun decan of Leo
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 05-27-2016, 03:24 AM
Schildmaid Schildmaid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 32
Re: Do Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto rule anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriquarian97 View Post
sorry, i didn't mean to say it was obsolete, but what i mean is this :

Pluto wasn't discovered until 1930. When it was discovered, its astrological influence was activated, and became integrated into people's lives.

The same goes with Uranus and Neptune. We have to change the rules a little bit because 3 new planets have been activated, corresponding to their discovery.
Why would discovering a planet activate it? You don't have to know about something for it to be real, so to me, those planets always had an influence, or never did, one of the two.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
neptune, pluto, rule, uranus

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.