Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat > Hot topic arena

Hot topic arena As the title suggest, this sub-board is dedicated to non-astrological talks on interesting, important or controversial topics.

Unread 09-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Re: Overlapping Sign-Blending

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Here's the real zodiac wheel

And here is the Earth under the influence of the zodiac - https://motionarray.imgix.net/previe...ax&auto=format

The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (09-23-2018)
Unread 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM

Smile Re: Overlapping Sign-Blending

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
And here is the Earth under the influence of the zodiac - https://motionarray.imgix.net/previe...ax&auto=format
Asteroids!
Unread 09-23-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post

Asteroids!

Scientists estimate
the asteroid belt contains between 1.1 million
and
1.9 million asteroids
larger than 1 km (3,281 feet) in diameter
and
millions of smaller ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I was astounded to learn that in both Trad and Mod opinion, the Signs have definitive cut-offs ("walls") at the boundary points. For the Houses, I agree, but not for the Signs. I use a 5 degree orb, with slight blending of Sign-qualities at the first and last 5 degree points, gradually increasing to half-and-half at the boundaries themselves. The Sign the indicator is actually in, is dominant, but it shares some qualities with the previous and next Sign in the very early and late degrees.
I'm pretty sure a lot of us are of this opinion, which seems rather apparent to me, personally. Aries on the verge of Taurus, and Taurus within that 5 degree range of Aries, for example, aren't the same in effect as pure Aries and Taurus by themselves [IMO].
Any comments?
Quote:

Because of experience. With a Piscean Asc and Sun, I feel the difference regarding the Solar transits, and see the difference in those born at the beginning and ending of Sun-sign placements. As for the Houses, those are areas of life, and Houses do have "walls". But the Signs are a continuum of qualities, and I see no reason WHATSOEVER for totally walling them apart.
Let's see if anyone else is blending Signs at the boundary-cusps, not realizing how unconventional it really is. Remember, I'm talking about Modern here. Trads will do whatever was done before. That's their job!
Zodiac Sign Cusps: What Does It Mean to Be Born on a Cusp?
there's an in-depth discussion
about the use of zodiac sign cusps in astrology,
and what it means when a person is born on a cusp.
Cusps have recently become a topic of conversation in the astrological community
because some pop astrology sites are treating them almost like a third sign
that blends the qualities of two neighboring signs.
This has elicited some push-back in the astrological community
with some saying that cusps are not a thing and have no intrinsic meaning
aside from being boundaries.
In episode 177 of The Astrology Podcast astrologers Chris Brennan and Austin Coppock
set out to explore this issue, and we discuss the pros and cons
of both sides of the cusp debate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iX9OcsP9M&t=316s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 11-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Zodiac Sign Cusps: What Does It Mean to Be Born on a Cusp?
there's an in-depth discussion
about the use of zodiac sign cusps in astrology,
and what it means when a person is born on a cusp.
Cusps have recently become a topic of conversation in the astrological community
because some pop astrology sites are treating them almost like a third sign
that blends the qualities of two neighboring signs.
This has elicited some push-back in the astrological community
with some saying that cusps are not a thing and have no intrinsic meaning
aside from being boundaries.
In episode 177 of The Astrology Podcast astrologers Chris Brennan and Austin Coppock
set out to explore this issue, and we discuss the pros and cons
of both sides of the cusp debate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iX9OcsP9M&t=316s
As an alternative to actual Sign-blending, where one Sign is beginning its transformation into the next (my viewpoint), they have another explanation: The Signs are "activated" by the indicator--Sun, Moon, Planet, or Ascendant, etc. These have Orbs, meaning an area of influence that extends beyond its "needle-point", precise position. And, the Orb-influence begins to activate both Signs at once at the cusps, causing the mix of Sign qualities exhibited by the indicator.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Ekonomist13 (11-20-2019)
Unread 11-20-2019, 11:53 PM

I completely agree.

That's why I was happy to see some astrologers divide each sign in three decanates. That way, the first decanate is reserved for people with half previous sign, half current sign, and people in 3rd decanate are half current sign and half next sign.

I do see it gradually. In fact, I was considering using colored numbers as codes for birthdates, that way a combination of colors you have would easily show you which amount of your personality belongs to the next/previous sign and which amount belongs to the current sign.

Besides, it's common sense - how can 1 day, or even 1 hour for that matter, be associated with a complete change of personality? It's not like there's a giant gear with different speeds in the milky way, downshifting and upshifting when 21st in a month comes.

Oh and might I add couple of astonishingly easy examples: I mean, just imagine the mixture of a capricorn and aquarius (20. january dob). That guy is silent, but always surrounded with people. Can't miss that combination.

Or 21. june for that matter. Philosophical with millions of interests, yet argumentative, unchangable and introverted.

In fact, that is why I prefer using Vedic astrology for people on the cusps. Because if you're on a cusp in Western astrology, in vedic you'll be purely previous sign, and most of the people find those personalities much more like them (even though that's entirely subjective at this point - reality will be, there's always a cardinal trait of the next sign involved, but people don't want complications, they just want to hear something they wanted to hear and stick to it).
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Last edited by Ekonomist13; 11-20-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:43 AM

Since the weather changes all the time, then which body rules what time of day.

I'm thinking Sun rules the midday since it's the hottest. Maybe Saturn before the Sun rises because it's the coldest part of the day(night).
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post

I'm thinking Sun rules the midday since it's the hottest. Maybe Saturn before the Sun rises because it's the coldest part of the day(night).
Technically the evening is hottest, specifically around 4-5pm
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Technically the evening is hottest, specifically around 4-5pm
Then if it's that scorching, we can assign that to Mars because the heat is oppressive
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:53 AM

Jupiter - Morning because it brings winds from the shift in temperature from the entrance of the Sun
Venus - the Morning after sunrise because of pleasant moist, cool weather
Sun - mid day, when the rays are oppressive
Mars - post-mid day when the temperature is scorching
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:56 AM

im assuming moon is night time

what about mercury
Unread 02-28-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
im assuming moon is night time

what about mercury
Mercury is that fickle planet that represents shifts and destabilization. Some part of day that has a major shift maybe?

Twilight and Dusk perhaps
Unread 02-28-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I was astounded to learn that in both Trad and Mod opinion, the Signs have definitive cut-offs ("walls") at the boundary points. For the Houses, I agree, but not for the Signs. I use a 5 degree orb, with slight blending of Sign-qualities at the first and last 5 degree points, gradually increasing to half-and-half at the boundaries themselves. The Sign the indicator is actually in, is dominant, but it shares some qualities with the previous and next Sign in the very early and late degrees.
I'm pretty sure a lot of us are of this opinion, which seems rather apparent to me, personally. Aries on the verge of Taurus, and Taurus within that 5 degree range of Aries, for example, aren't the same in effect as pure Aries and Taurus by themselves [IMO].
Any comments?
Going by this....

My Gemini Venus at 1 degree is colored by Taurus in someway, yes? If so, what do you make of said Venus?
Unread 02-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Going by this....

My Gemini Venus at 1 degree is colored by Taurus in someway, yes? If so, what do you make of said Venus?
Stronger, earthier, and more intense than later degrees of Venus in Gemini, because of the inclusion of some Taurian qualities in the mix.

Last edited by david starling; 02-28-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Unread 02-28-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:

In the northern hemisphere
Asc (eastern wind/earth) - drying and moderately cooling - Mars both by day and by night, as only Mars produces such drying and maleficent winds
Mc (southern wind/fire) - heating and moderately drying - Sun by day and Jupiter by night (when dryness diminishes)
Dsc (western wind/air) - moistening and moderately heating - Venus by day and Moon by night (when heat diminishes)
Ic (northern wind/water) - cooling and moderately moistening - Saturn by day and Mercury by night (when moisture increases)

Quote:
Aries, Leo and Sagittarius are southern wind trigon of Sun by day and Jupiter by night
Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn are western wind trigon of Venus by day and Moon by night
Gemini, Libra and Aquarius are northern wind trigon of Saturn by day and Mercury by night
Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are eastern wind trigon of Mars
Because winds always predominate an exact direction, and because there are four possible general directions of winds, the twelve places are sharply pointed in groups of three separated by four places, that is by the figure of the trigon.

Aries + Leo + Sagittarius = 1 Moisture + 1/2 Heat + 1 Heat + 1/2 Dryness + 1 Dryness + 1/2 Cold = 1 Heat + 1/2 Dryness (South or Fire)
Taurus + Virgo + Capricorn = 1 Moisture + 1/2 Heat + 1 Heat + 1/2 Dryness + 1 Cold + 1/2 Moisture = 1 Moisture + 1/2 Heat (West or Air)
Gemini + Libra + Aquarius = 1 Moisture + 1/2 Heat + 1 Dryness + 1/2 Cold + 1 Cold + 1/2 Moisture = 1 Cold + 1/2 Moisture (North or Water)
Cancer + Scorpio + Pisces = 1 Heat + 1/2 Dryness + 1 Dryness + 1/2 Cold + 1 Cold + 1/2 Moisture = 1 Dryness + 1/2 Cold (East or Earth)

Thus, Aries, Leo and Sagittarius are southern wind trigon of Sun by day and Jupiter by night, more moistening by night due to the moisture of the night.
Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn are western wind trigon of Venus by day and Moon by night, more cooling by night due to the cold of the night.
Gemini, Libra and Aquarius are northern wind trigon of Saturn by day and Mercury by night, more moistening by night due to the moisture of the night, this wind is predominated by Mercury by night to account for the moderate moisture, occasional fecundity and beneficence, note that half of the time by night, this wind becomes feminine and nocturnal.
Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are eastern wind trigon of Mars both by day and by night, as only Mars produces such drying and maleficent winds. To account for the moderate cold of the winds, some of the old astrologers put Venus as cooperating lord by day, and Moon as cooperating lord by night, however this does not seem right to me, as they are moistening planets.
The winds seem point at the seasonal powers of the solid places.

Of course, for the Southern Hemisphere, the equatorial winds of Sun and Jupiter become northern, and the polar winds of Saturn and Mercury become southern, as the direction of their two angles are reversed, likewise this differentiation of winds applies only to the general winds within the fronts, and not to every single locality at all times...

Likewise, for universal and genethlialogical investigations exactly at the equator, different system of predomination is to be used, based on complete and powerful configurations having twice the power of operative and moderate configurations, and predomination based on the qualities of angles (Hour-Marker - Mars, Midheaven - Sun by day and Jupiter by night, Setting - Venus by day and Moon by night, Anti-Midheaven - Saturn by day and Mercury by night) because the predominations of houses, elevations, trigons and bounds are useless. Planets become powerful, operative and inoperative only based on their angularity and phases in case of the five planets. For investigations in between the equator and the tropics, both equatorial and temperate systems are to be used proportionally.
So for the temperate zone we should use the triplicities of the zodiac rather than the angles, but for the equator, we should use the angles rather than the triplicities of the zodiac, as their power is predominating, and of course by angles I mean the angular triads here - the pre-ascension (12th) and post-ascension (2nd) of the Asc belong to the angle of the Asc (1), and so on for the other angles.

You can very well base your judgement on diurnal lag, provided that you factor increases and decreases holistically (or one might say idealistically), since it is clear that the cusp of the 8th is not increasing temperature (in most seasons and places), and the cusp of the 12th isn't coldest. The ancients made the same holistic judgement when they decided that the elevation of the Sun should be in Aries, and the elevation of Saturn should be in Libra, which are the most hot and most cold signs qualitatively, but not quantitatively.

Last edited by petosiris; 02-29-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 02-28-2020, 06:53 PM

Petosiris,
Let me try to make a graphic of that when I have time. It's a chore to try to imagine it in my mind.
Unread 02-28-2020, 06:54 PM

How do you feel about using Aristotle's the natural place when conceptualizing the universe in terms of the ac/dc mc/ic axis

That means air to the east (Saturn and Mercury), water to the west (Mars), earth to the north (Venus and Moon), and fire to the south (Jupiter and Sun).
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
How do you feel about using Aristotle's the natural place when conceptualizing the universe in terms of the ac/dc mc/ic axis

That means air to the east (Saturn and Mercury), water to the west (Mars), earth to the north (Venus and Moon), and fire to the south (Jupiter and Sun).
This would mean using a different Elemental pattern than is usual. So, you have Air-signs opposite Water-signs, and Fire-signs opposite Earth-signs.

Another unusual pattern, suggested by the alchemical symbol, Solomon's Seal, is Fire opposite Water (the upward pointing and downward pointing triangles), which cross over each other to form the upward and downward triangles for Air and Earth.

Most astrologers, of course, have Fire/Air and Earth/Water as opposites.

Last edited by david starling; 02-28-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Where did Aristotle assign the planets to the winds and elements?

I follow Ptolemy's qualities of the angles and assign the planets to them - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...os/1B*.html#10

The Ascendant is the body, therefore it should be earthy, or rather the other way around. Air is always opposite earth, and fire is always opposite water.
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:29 PM

Aristotle had 4 sublunar/changeable spheres corresponding to the 4 elements - fire at the top, air below fire, water below air and earth at the bottom. Only the winds according to Petosiris of astrologyweekly follow this scheme as well as the triplicities.

Aries + Leo + Sagittarius = (South or Fire) - north (ptolemy/chaldeans) or east (paulus) according to others
Taurus + Virgo + Capricorn = (West or Air) - south (ptolemy/chaldeans/paulus) or earth (valens et al) according to others
Gemini + Libra + Aquarius = (North or Water) - east (ptolemy), west (chaldeans/paulus) or air (valens et al) according to others
Cancer + Scorpio + Pisces = (East or Earth) - west (ptolemy), north (paulus) or water (valens et al) according to others

Last edited by petosiris; 02-28-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
Where did Aristotle assign the planets to the winds and elements?

I follow Ptolemy's qualities of the angles and assign the planets to them - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...os/1B*.html#10

The Ascendant is the body, therefore it should be earthy, or rather the other way around. Air is always opposite earth, and fire is always opposite water.
Normally, an Earth-sign Asc has a Water-sign Desc.
Are you assigning different elements to the Signs than is usually Traditionalistic?
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Normally, an Earth-sign Asc has a Water-sign Desc.
Are you assigning different elements to the Signs than is usually Traditionalistic?
I follow the earlier Hellenistic tradition of assigning the elements to the signs according to the seasons - this was used by Ptolemy and Antiochus, actually following Aristotle.

Most of the Hellenistic astrologers never assigned elements according to the four cardinal directions of the signs, rather they used the seasons, or sometimes the constellations (for example Cancer, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces are all watery according to Dorotheus and Manilius, even though they have different seasonal qualities and winds).
Unread 02-28-2020, 08:48 PM

The element of the season is greater than the wind, even though the element of wind changes the quality and rulership of the sign along also with the elevation - this can be beautifully seen in my schemes - for example the solid signs are where the elements of the season and wind agree. I don't use the element of the wind except for explaining the triplicities.

Unread 02-28-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Petosiris,
Let me try to make a graphic of that when I have time. It's a chore to try to imagine it in my mind.
?

The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
Bunraku (02-29-2020)
Unread 02-29-2020, 03:33 PM

Omg thanks!