Descendant and attraction

misha

I have a question about the descendant. I have my ascendant in Pisces and descendant in Virgo but i have never felt that i have ever been romantically attracted to Virgos (even though i am cap sun), and couldnt see the relevance. So i had always dismissed the validity of the descendant attraction.

But recently i have been reading that the Mars i have conjunct my ascendent could possibly be the ruler of my chart, and even over rule my pisces ascendent.

So then i thought well if i have Mars conjunct my ascendent then the sign that Mars is in (Aquarius) would possibly act like my ascendant (?) and therefore its opposite sign Leo would rule my descendant? This makes alot more sense to me because of all my relationships my 2 longest have been with Leo men then shorter ones with 1 Aries and 2 Aquarians.

Is this how a conjunct planets to the AC would work?

Thanks

MY CHART.gif

virgo18

Remember that the sun is only one part of the personality of a person. You should check their ascendants, moon signs, and in your case.... men who have a "strong, dignified, well placed mercury" will be appealing to you. I bet some of your past guys have some planet in virgo.

My descendant is Gemini, and the ruler is in Libra. When I see an artist or a guy I like a lot then I discover that he is a Gemini, or have some other planet in that sign. But I haven't been in a relationship with a Gemini. My three boyfriends have been Virgo, Taurus, and Capricorn. And the three of them have a strong mercury: the virgo one has mercury in virgo, the taurus one has mercury in gemini, and the capricorn one has mercury in aquarius.
Other thing is that I have never been attracted to Libra suns.

As you say you have been with a couple of Leo suns i guess its because that sign sometimes have personal planets in virgo.

Other thing I seen in charts of people is that sometimes we attract people for romantic relationships who have the sun sign in the opposite sign as our Venus sign. In your case your Venus is in Aqua, and its the opposite of Leo.

misha

My descendant is Gemini, and the ruler is in Libra. When I see an artist or a guy I like a lot then I discover that he is a Gemini, or have some other planet in that sign. But I haven't been in a relationship with a Gemini. My three boyfriends have been Virgo, Taurus, and Capricorn. And the three of them have a strong mercury: the virgo one has mercury in virgo, the taurus one has mercury in gemini, and the capricorn one has mercury in aquarius.
Other thing is that I have never been attracted to Libra suns.

As you say you have been with a couple of Leo suns i guess its because that sign sometimes have personal planets in virgo.

Thats interesting. My current partner has his Mercury in Virgo. So i guess that is a strong placement like you were saying. This is his only Virgo placement, but i feel he is predominately Leo, with Leo Sun, Leo Ascendant and Leo Venus all in the first house.

My other relationships dont have any virgo personal planets and the mercury placements are either pisces, aquarius or libran. So i guess 2 of those are Mercurial in nature (aquarius and libran) but that seems a far stretch?

Other thing I seen in charts of people is that sometimes we attract people for romantic relationships who have the sun sign in the opposite sign as our Venus sign. In your case your Venus is in Aqua, and its the opposite of Leo.

Yes i agree. I have found this to be true. Or opposing venus/mars combinations. There seems to be so many possibilities! Thankyou for your response :happy:

I would still like to find out whether having planets conjunct the ascendant, (in my case Mars in Aquarius opposing my relationhip house)would affect or over ride the ruling sign on the descendant cusp?

virgo18

Remember that you may be more attracted to people who have the ruler of your 7th house (in this case mercury) dignified, to those who have the moon or sun in virgo. Example someone who has the moon in virgo but mercury in Leo will not be so attractive for you in comparison with a guy who has mercury in virgo(domicile and strong)

Mercury is strong in Virgo and in air signs (aq, gem, lib)

tokyo.lights

That's interesting, I've felt the same way about my Libra descendant. Charming guys are okay, but it's not something that would grab/sustain my attention. Someone with a strong Venus (instead of strong Libra) makes more sense though. I don't have much Libra, but Venus is pretty strong in my chart...and I'm not Libra-like, but I sure hope I'm Venus-like lol

miquar

I have a question about the descendant. I have my ascendant in Pisces and descendant in Virgo but i have never felt that i have ever been romantically attracted to Virgos (even though i am cap sun), and couldnt see the relevance. So i had always dismissed the validity of the descendant attraction.

But recently i have been reading that the Mars i have conjunct my ascendent could possibly be the ruler of my chart, and even over rule my pisces ascendent.

So then i thought well if i have Mars conjunct my ascendent then the sign that Mars is in (Aquarius) would possibly act like my ascendant (?) and therefore its opposite sign Leo would rule my descendant? This makes alot more sense to me because of all my relationships my 2 longest have been with Leo men then shorter ones with 1 Aries and 2 Aquarians.

Is this how a conjunct planets to the AC would work?

Thanks

View attachment 26744

Hi. Just to clarify. You have Pisces rising and Virgo setting, and so Jupiter and Neptune are your chart rulers. Mars in Aquarius will influence your ascendant greatly though.

It could just be that Aries and Aquarius types are more restless and so those relationships didn't last as long! But without knowing the rest of their charts this is a pretty much meaningless generalisation.

Any planet conjunct the Ascendant is with you wherever you go, even if you don't consciously identify with it. It would probably be a good idea for you to reflect upon whether you feel like Mars rising in Aquarius, or a Pisces rising, and then you can see which part of this ascendant complex you favour and which you nelglect. Its important to embrace both.

I wouldn't think in terms of the sun signs of the people you are attracted to so much as what traits you find attractive in them, which may or may not accord with their sun signs. Then you can see where these desirable traits are reflected in your own chart to see which bits of your own potential you are looking for role models to enact for you.

waybread

Although the descendant indicates the type of person who would attract you for a permanent relationship, it doesn't mean that the person will have his sun in that sign. Rather, you might admire a guy with Virgo's attention to getting things right, helpfulness, and practical orientation to life.

Sometimes you will find the DSC sign showing up strongly in the partner's chart, however-- sometimes it's his rising sign, for example.

You can also look at Mars. Mars in Aquarius adds another dimension to the DSC type: maybe you want someone who doesn't run with the herd, for example, and is willing to give you a lot of space because he needs it himself.

A great book on the ASC/DSC axis is Jodie Forrest, The Ascendant.

bubuza_dulce

I don't mean to be offtopic but I have a similar question.

I have Asc in Aries and Mars and Pluto conjunct Desc.
The same as Misha, I have never been attracted to Libras, on the contrary, we don't get along well. (Though I noticed that two best friends and my sister have Libra Asc!)

What would be the type of person I am attracted to - someone with a strong Venus or somebody with strong Mars/Pluto? Do those planets on the Desc override the Desc ruler? And do they have to be strong generally or strong and in Libra?

Thanks!

waybread

bubuza, I would suggest you not think in terms of sun-signs. Rather, think in terms of the qualities you associate with the sign on your descendant.

With Libra on your 7th house cusp, you might want a partner who is more intellectual, who has good taste, and who is committed to the principle of fairness. Mars-Pluto will give this ideal person a more aggressive edge. You may also want a real take-charge kind of guy. I think Robert Hand said that a lot of military generals are Librans-- the principle of combatting an enemy can be seen as a commitment to fairness on a very large stage.

Planets in the 7th wouldn't over-ride the DC ruler and sign completely. You want to think more about how they would blend. But note that any planet in its own sign or in a close aspect will be felt strongly.

If you have a tenanted 7th house, it suggests that being in a committed relationship is simply more of a focus for you-- even if you are single at present. It can be the source of a lot of day-dreaming or scheming, for example.

But honestly-- I am sure you ladies know the kind of guy you find appealing! In synastry, where you have an actual person to deal with, not a wish-list; you have to compare the two charts in some detail, and match up your planetary positions.

Note also that the 5th house rules impermanent love affairs. You might enjoy a short fling with someone of a very different character than someone with whom you want to share your life into the years ahead.

Mars-Pluto in the 7th may show up more as "open enemies", especially if they are afflicted. Babuza, are you apt to be combative or feisty?

Generally, if you have planets trined or sextiled, you will experience their more positive dimensions. If they are squared or opposed, you will probably experience their more troublesome sides. With conjunctions it depends on the nature of the planets.

A planet conjunct the DC opposes the AS in any event. This planet may be experienced as "not me." This "not me" could be the Dream Guy or Girl who is supposed to compensate for our lacks and make us feel complete with ourselves; or it could be parts of ourselves that we disown and dislike-- hence the "open enemies" potential of the 7th house.

(Secret enemies-- the back-stabber types, are a 12th house matter.)

virgo18

Why Libra?

Misha's descendant ruler is in Capricorn.... so she also will be attracted to some guy with Saturnine, and Mercurial characteristics. Someone intelligent and conservative.

Also the ruler of her 5th house makes a conjunction with the ruler of the 7th. So It wont be strange if some relationship that starts like a fling could end up in something more serious. Or in the other hand... the guys of the 5th are similar to the guys of the 7th.... or she can have some adventures before she gets married.

Oh I forgot to say: The guy will be older.

Sun, Mars, and ruler of the 7th are under Saturn's power. Also the moon which rules the 5th. Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Venus square Saturn, and Mars trine Saturn.

the best wishes for you.

bubuza_dulce

Thanks for the reply, waybread.

I am aware of the problems of having Mars/Pluto in the 7th, it is like you said, I chose someone who was "not me-like", who was more aggressive and did things I couldn't do but this aggressiveness turned against me.

It was actually someone who taught me that unless I use this aggressiveness myself then someone else will do it against me.

Thanks again for the reply, so they blend and not overrule completely, that's what I wanted to know.:smile:

astro11

Romantic attraction is a complicated matter and very unique for each person. However, there are some general rules that I initially discovered in "When the Planets Promise Love" by Rose Murray and have repeatedly seen working in my research and in my clients' lives.

For a woman, generally the signs the Sun and Mars are in and the houses they are in shows who she is attracted to. For a man, generally it is Venus and the Moon, the signs they are in and the houses they are in.

Both genders will have a tendency to be attracted to the characteristics of the planets in their seventh house. For example, if Mercury is in the seventh house you will place a priority on communicating and learning in a relationship and/or be attracted to intellectual people.

Both genders should look at the sign on their descendant, the ruler of their seventh house, which sign this ruler is in, the house it is in and what aspects it makes.

When you notice repeating signs and/or their rulers, it becomes more reliable as an indicator of attraction.

For example, I have my Sun in Gemini in the 11th house and Mars in Cancer in the 11th house. I do not have planets in the 7th house. I have Aquarius on the DC, Uranus in Sagittarius as my DC ruler, Uranus is in the fifth house, Uranus makes an opposition to my Sun, a conjunction with my Moon/Saturn and a trine with Jupiter. You will notice that Uranus/11th house/Aquarius; Sagittarius/Jupiter; Moon/Cancer and Sun/fifth house have repeated at least two times. It is true that I am most attracted to the archetypes of Aquarius, Sagittarius, Cancer and Leo. In addition I also tend to like Gemini types (probably because I have Venus in Gemini in addition to the Sun).