Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 01-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Anaretic Degrees - myth or for real?

Hey all

Lately I have been reading up on the anaretic degrees, and it seems to spell bad news from the more traditional interpreters of astrology

I have Mars in Taurus, retrograde, in 29' degrees, on the cusp of my first and second house (it is in the second with the placidus system, in the first with the whole system). It sits not far from my ascendant which is also in Taurus and is inconjunct with my ascendant (0'33)

Only now that i have really looked at it have i noticed the impact it has on my life and how it has manifested, but i am a bit of a skeptic, and am always weary of "projecting" what i may already know onto something i have just read.

Basically i would like to know what peoples experiences are with the anaretic degree and whether this is more to do with the expression of the planet/sign as opposed to anything karmic

All thoughts, debate, insights would be most appreciated

Cheers

Unread 01-04-2015, 02:00 PM

Re: Anaretic Degrees - myth or for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangelove333 View Post

Hey all

Lately I have been reading up on the anaretic degrees, and it seems to spell bad news from the more traditional interpreters of astrology

I have Mars in Taurus, retrograde, in 29' degrees, on the cusp of my first and second house (it is in the second with the placidus system, in the first with the whole system). It sits not far from my ascendant which is also in Taurus and is inconjunct with my ascendant (0'33)

Only now that i have really looked at it have i noticed the impact it has on my life and how it has manifested, but i am a bit of a skeptic, and am always weary of "projecting" what i may already know onto something i have just read.

Basically i would like to know what peoples experiences are with the anaretic degree and whether this is more to do with the expression of the planet/sign as opposed to anything karmic

All thoughts, debate, insights would be most appreciated

Cheers
Hey drstrangelove
traditionally
'....the Anareta
or Interfector
- termed the Killing, Interficient or Destroying Planet.
is a planet that is capable of signifying destruction and therefore offers a threat to the hyleg, ('giver or life'), at birth and by direction.
The anareta may be a malefic planet, the lord of the 8th, the almuten of the lord of the 8th, or a planet placed in the 8th house.
The terms of the infortunes are called anaretic degrees.....'
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/anareta.html

'....The idea that 29 - 30 degrees of a sign is "critical" or "anaretic" is a modern concept and I'm not sure where it came from.
It may be related to the terms (bounds),
but since moderns or at least late 19th century and later astrologers didn't use the bounds, I can't see how that could be.
The other set of critical degrees probably does have its origins in Hindu astrology,
but isn't' used all that much in Western astrology. I don't recall seeing it in any of the older texts.
The Arabs used a set of lunar mansions, too.
In horary a planet in the last degrees of a sign indicates a change of some kind.
In natal astrology some authors would grant co-rulership of a house to the ruling planet of the next sign,
if 27 or more degrees was on a cusp....'

'.....The word "anaretic" seems to come from the word "anareta" or the killing planet.
This was used to determine length of life and since hyleg was its opposite, the giver of life, well you get the idea.
But how that got to the last degree of a sign is unknown to me.
As late as 1947 the term anaretic degree as it relates to 29 degrees of a sign is not mentioned in Devore's Encyclopedia of Astrology.
But he does mention the anareta, the anaretic place, and the anaretic point.
These he defines as the killing planet and the degree occupied by that planet.
In 1819 Wilson in his Dictionary of Astrology goes into some detail about the anaretic point,
but the fundamental definition is the same as DeVore's.....'

I think it is safe to conclude, at least until some other evidence is shown,
that using the 29 degrees of a sign as something critical and calling it the anaretic degree
is just an other modern hijacking of a perfectly good traditional term and distorting it (like peregrine)
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3612&sid=6c24ed4474dcf2786a40e2bdc 05717b8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
astralrabbit (01-05-2015)
Unread 01-04-2015, 08:43 PM

I have Anareta at 06 Gemini. Which is exactly conjunct the Uranus of a person I may have been in past life, who was a revolutionary in his field (Uranian energy - innovation, new & better things, urge to be different/weird).

Why does the Raven cry aloud and no eye pities her?
~William Blake, Lamentation of the Earth
Unread 01-05-2015, 03:20 AM
Account Closed

I think it is safe to conclude, at least until some other evidence is shown,
that using the 29 degrees of a sign as something critical and calling it the anaretic degree
is just an other modern hijacking of a perfectly good traditional term and distorting it (like peregrine)[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR]http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3612&sid=6c24ed4474dcf2786a40e2bdc 05717b8[/QUOTE]

Bam! Awesome~ Thank you, for this. Would you still say that the planet is less efficient in expressing itself in its fullest grandeur at this degree? Is it possible that some planets still work voraciously in this degree?
I do wonder. I have quite a few charts that hold the Moon in Cancer at this degree, with the energy expressed in the Cancerian manner, but differently than those who hold it at the 0 degree mark (Aries point).
Thank you

Tags
anaretic, degrees, myth, real