Astrology a Woman's or a Men's Science ??

MDH

It is neither. Depending on from which perspective you wish to study it, it can be either a masculine or a feminine art.

Or, you can take your shades off and see it simply as is, rather than as it is deemed.

LionKing

I have to admit that there seems to be a lot female astrologers. But looking at history there have been a lot of male astrologers. As far as astro writers... egh... probably even. V/r LionKing

katydid

When I used to go to the large conferences, it seemed to be predominately women in the audiences, with like 70% women, at least it seemed so.
BUT the authors and teachers seemed to be slightly more than half, males.

I have not attended any recently, so I would be curious if it has changed much.

elumen

I have attended UAC conferences in the recent past, and has had more female participants, but I'd say ratio was 60% (women) to 40% (men). But I think both men and women can be great astrologers, it all depends on intuition and talent. For e.g. I'm a woman but my approach to astrology is very scientific, I test everything on my own and my clients experiences, I question everything and generally verify astrology with the practical experience. Although the component of intuition is very important in interpreting the chart, still there are rules or interpretation and calculations and all the fine tuning which is scientific. But astrology is not an exact science and cannot be, as it deals with the changeable arena of human behavior, and there is also the aspect of free will.

Last edited:
I missed this thread, it must have slipped my radar at the time. Astrology appears a fairly even playing field for men or women, however, there are a lot of female astrology authors. Perhaps the symbology of astrology appeals to women, and it's a more of a relatable "science" and one dealing with human love, emotions, dreams and aspirations. Everything that encompasses life, and is significant to you. I think it's easier for women to express their interest in astrology than it is for men. The "stereotypical" reason is because our art is called a "pseudo Science" etc. And it has been called a non-rational art, and I know the sexism women get for being called non-rational. Funnily enough, I had a blazing row over this with my boyfriend, when he called himself the "rational" one and then I repaired what he had been trying to fix for days. Teaches him a lesson for not believing a "woman" can do a mental task. I was fuming over the whole dispute. Furthermore, I had to force him to say "well done" for fixing the problem. His attitude needs to change (rant over). It's funny I get fired up as soon as anyone says I can't do a job because I am a woman, and I go into overdrive (Mars in Aquarius in 6th square Uranus in 3rd). To be honest it really doesn't make any difference male or female, astrology is an art for all. I think it's mentally challenging and mysterious, and mind boggling all at the same time - Astrology is rewarding, and long hours of study on the subject is never a bore or chore.

Those who learn the subject all tend to become obsessed by it, to some degree. Female authors - Liz Greene does fill most my collection, Donna Cunningham, Christine Shaw, Sue Tompkins. Males + Alan Oken, Charles Carter, Howard Sasportas, Stephen Arroya. An equal share of both perspectives, and on my astrology pages the sex of the author doesn't matter, it's the content and style.

alternativebeliefs

You make some interesting points Shining Ray. I liked you little anecdote about your boyfriend.

There may well be more women who are into astrology than men, in a Western context, but in India practicing astrology has traditionally been more of a vocation for men than for women. May be both genders can lay equal claim.

You make some interesting points Shining Ray. I liked you little anecdote about your boyfriend.

There may well be more women who are into astrology than men, in a Western context, but in India practicing astrology has traditionally been more of a vocation for men than for women. May be both genders can lay equal claim.

I guess which part of the world you are from can make a difference. I am from the U.K and Astrology is taken up by both men and women equally, however, some people on the thread have ascertained women predominate. Good point - depending on where you live there can be an obvious difference. Thank you for adding this excellent point into the discussion :smile:.

david starling

There's an interesting theory that the first astrologers were women, focused on the lunar cycle as it related to their own physical cycles. With a serpentine constellation (the Snake) wrapped around the pole star (the Tree), studying the moon (the Apple), astrology would have become the Original Sin: "And their Days were Numbered". The oldest recorded name of the Moon (in Western history, ancient Sumeria) was "Sin". Odd coincidence!

"Eve's Lament Regarding Knowledge--
I never would have ate
the fruit of that tree
After God said not to!!

I squeezed the ripe fruit
and drank the juice;
And I'm thirsty for more!" --chameleon gubudu

Last edited:

david starling

Biblically, Eve is routinely blamed for desiring Knowledge, which a male version of the Supreme Deity had forbidden to humanity. The ancient Greeks envisioned Muses, nine in number, inspiring the Arts and Sciences; all female. Poetry is dominated by men with only a few women becoming celebrities despite the odds, and often suffering the consequences. So, famous, influential Astrologers--what's the gender ratio now as far as what published sources are considered authoritative? Practicing Astrologers aside, the actual Authority ratio is currently about 3 to 1 male, in the field of Poetry as well. So, have men horned in on female territory?

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
There's an interesting theory that the first astrologers were women, focused on the lunar cycle as it related to their own physical cycles. With a serpentine constellation (the Snake) wrapped around the pole star (the Tree), studying the moon (the Apple), astrology would have become the Original Sin: "And their Days were Numbered". The oldest recorded name of the Moon (in Western history, ancient Sumeria) was "Sin". Odd coincidence!

"Eve's Lament Regarding Knowledge--
I never would have ate
the fruit of that tree
After God said not to!!

I squeezed the ripe fruit
and drank the juice;
And I'm thirsty for more!" --chameleon gubudu

the earliest Sumerian myths give the knowledge of the tablets of destiny(astrology) to female goddess'. later myth have the goddess surrendering this knowledge(tablets of destiny) to a male god
rahu

rahu

Banned
Biblically, Eve is routinely blamed for desiring Knowledge, which a male version of the Supreme Deity had forbidden to humanity. The ancient Greeks envisioned Muses, nine in number, inspiring the Arts and Sciences; all female. Poetry is dominated by men with only a few women becoming celebrities despite the odds, and often suffering the consequences. So, famous, influential Astrologers--what's the gender ratio now as far as what published sources are considered authoritative? Practicing Astrologers aside, the actual Authority ratio is currently about 3 to 1 male, in the field of Poetry as well. So, have men horned in on female territory?

"Biblically, Eve is routinely blamed for desiring Knowledge, "

interestingly, anytime sexual relationships are described in the bible, the verb "know" is used. so it is likely that the tree of knowledge was not about intellectual knowledge but about sexual awareness. and the first thing adam and eve did was not to write a book but to cover their genitalia up.

rahu

rahu

Banned
just another note
hypatia of Alexandria was the inventor of the astrolabe.
her father censorinus was credited with first asserting the ancient Egyptians used the Sothic year. a concept that was never found to be used or written about by the ancient Egyptians their selves.

rahu

Last edited: