Does size matter?

Manic_Monday

Does size really matter? :p
I was looking at my chart, and I was wondering wether the size of the houses matters.
For example: my 1st house is big (47 degrees), but my 11th house is only 15 degrees.
Are big houses more important than small houses?
Maybe an obvious question, but excuse me, I'm still a newbie at this.

Howl

I think this is one of those questions with too many answers, but to get you started, I'd have a look at the thread "Is this chart slightly abnormal?", in the natal astrology section:)

p.s. - cute name for a thread!

pwadm

Staff member
Yes, so many answers! I could give you at least 3 versions, all different, all well argumented, yet I don't think that is gonna help, as you might want an definite answer, something that would help you out with your chart. I just can't make up my mind (Mercury in Libra, seeing all the sides of the "tetrahedon") whether to choose one over another so my current position is that I accept them all as potentially valid.
So, take this as just another idea: house systems are just human divisions of the sky above the birthplace, each one embedding a certain philosophy on the sky and therefore reflecting another view of your nativity. Astrology charts in general are just conventional drawings designed to systematise astrological influences. Depending on your point of view you may choose certain chart design (circle, square), a certain house system, a certain system of orbs, a certain amount of aspects to consider (major only, some minors included, all aspects) and so on...

So, to answer your question, "does size matters", well the answer is classic: "depends on how you intend to use the respective tool"...

Manic_Monday

Howl said:
I think this is one of those questions with too many answers, but to get you started, I'd have a look at the thread "Is this chart slightly abnormal?", in the natal astrology section:)

p.s. - cute name for a thread!
I checked that thread. :eek: My houses are not nearly that large!
But okay. So what it all comes down to, is that it all depends on.. eh.. well everything?
You see, I was wondering. Houses with a lot of planets in it have the most influence, don't they? So you'd say houses with no planets have in it have no influence. But my first house is empty, and it's big. And my tenth house has two planets (Moon and Pluto - conjunct by the way), but it's small.
:confused:

Howl

Manic_Monday said:
But okay. So what it all comes down to, is that it all depends on.. eh.. well everything?

Heheh, that's an excellent description of my reaction to this entire forum ;)

Depending on your point of view, it seems that a large 'empty' house may be important to you particularly if it 'intercepts' (contains, entirely) one of the signs. An intercepted sign may 'have difficulty' expressing it's energy.

On the other hand, you could try changing the house system you use in creating your chart, and you could probably avoid the large houses altogether. Do you like big houses, or equal ones? :D