Dominant Planet Pluto or Mercury?

Momo101

Hi guys!

I've recently pulled up the Pullen Chart on astro.com and it says my Dominant Planets are Mercury (17.9%), Pluto (11.9%) and Uranus (11.7%). But according to the percentage my dominant planet is basically Mercury.

However, I always thought that the Dominant Planet was based on if it has multiple major aspects/aspects several inner planets or if it is on the angles? I've also read that the dominant planet is considered your chart ruler?

I always thought Pluto was my dominant planet (but I could be wrong of course, I'm no expert aha) because it is my cutting planet (I have the bowl planetary aspect with the rim opposition) and it's on an angle (the 1st house) plus my chart ruler (considering I have a Scorpio Ascendant) is in the 1st house as well. I also have multiple major aspects with my inner planets through Pluto.

However, I do know I feel these 3 planets closely and have throughout my life. I've experienced (still do actually) isolation due to being different but later on accepted my differences (Pluto and Uranus), pain and suffering very early on that has shaped my perspectives and how I go about in life, I've had to change multiple times both physically and mentally in order to further myself in life (Pluto). Being verbal and communicative has never been an issue for me either, I'm constantly thinking and my brain never shuts off (Mercury). Communicating newfound ideas with depth have never really been an issue for me and I find people do listen to me and take me seriously often.

I've been told that Pullen algorithm isn't the best and does have many inaccuracies. I think that Mercury is considered my dominant planet because I have 4 planets (all in Aquarius so I have a stellium) in my 3rd house and so my 3rd house seems to be prominent in my birth chart?

I've attached my birth chart, let me know what you guys think! Feel free to provide as much info as you can and possibly more sources that I could look into!

Attachments

• MyBirthChart.jpg
    MyBirthChart.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 42

Blaze

Account Closed
Is Jupiter at 0 degrees Pisces? If so, I'd say your Jupiter is strongest, seeing how it rules ascendant lord (Mars) and is most angular.

Last edited:

Momo101

Are you using the Vedic system rather than the Placidus system? Just asking b/c you're considering Mars (the traditional ruler of Scorpio) to be my chart ruler/Ascendant ruler?

Blaze

Account Closed
Traditional astrology. I don't use outers, though others do. Maybe they'll post now that there is some discussion.

Also, your chart ruler would be Jupiter - Mars is disposed by it and it sits in Pisces, its home sign.

Momo101

Interesting, so then does that mean Jupiter themes would predominate my life? It's just odd because I've never considered myself a Jupiterian person, I'm not exactly big on faith or luck or a happy go lucky kind of person.

Blaze

Account Closed
Happy-go-lucky isn't Jupiter. Can be, but it isn't always the case. That's a mistake loads of people (myself included) make at first. An example would be a member we have on here, with Jupiter conjunct ascendant, domicile and in-sect. Can joke around but can also be as serious as a heart attack.

Instead of me telling you about Jupiter, I'll give you links which can help you learn a lot more than what I could.

Jupiter: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/jupiter.html

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/jupiter_att.html

4th house: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h4.html

Reading up on all the houses is important. So is your 5th house, as it (Saturn) rules your Sun/Mercury.

Hope that helps!

Edit - changed a word

Somna7H

Banned
Found most Dominant Planet is Venus.
My Venus is in Gemini 2nd house.
May be that's why I'm soft in nature inspite of being a Male ?
Is there any chance of getting gain/profit through females or Venus related things ?
http://imgur.com/TNHLQu0

Whoam1

I'd prefer the Modern Astrological interpretations but thank you nonetheless.

Super modern astrology says the same thing (vedic,constellations, and sidereal align). However even in modern tropical astrology Pluto is still a debate, it isnt your ruler most likely. Look to Sun and Moon rulers first, then Mars for the A.C. (you can't deny Mars Scorpio because Pluto is Mars on a higher level, without Mars Pluto has no effect in theroy). That being Said some modernists align Pluto with Aries.

waybread

I'm not sure what Pullen uses. In my chart, they picked Chiron, apparently because of its lack of hard aspects.

Basically there is no single way to identify the strongest planet. The experts disagree. So you get to choose.

1. Modern astrology: the planet ruling the ascendant. (Pluto, but Mars is the traditional ruler of Scorpio)

2. Traditional astrology: the planet with the most essential dignity (almuten.) See if this chart helps: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html Jupiter is domiciled as the traditional ruler of Pisces, so it's probably about the best. The modern outers don't fit into this system.

3. Traditional: the planet with the most essential and accidental dignity (Lord of the geniture.) Here we'd look at additional factors like the house, aspects to other planets, any shared reception. For example, your moon is above the horizon in a night chart (in sect) and in the angular 7th house, which are good accidental dignities to have. But she's squaring Mars, which is not so good. Hard to say.

4. Modern: I think Uranus is a strong planet in your chart. Modernly, I wouldn't worry about combustion (an accidental debility, meaning conjunct the sun) and it's in the sign that it rules. It is well aspected.

waybread

BTW, Pluto is in a T-square with Mars and your moon, so you're definitely going to feel it. It's in the first house, so it will be something others notice about you. But is it strong and effective, or merely troublesome to you? I think you've got some sleepers in your chart.

Ultimately, see what works for you because the experts don't agree.