Houses relating to parenting?

kimiko8

What houses would you focus on if you wanted to understand about how you would be as a parent? Would 4th house be sufficient? But doesn't that just relate to the "home" in general? I was also thinking the 5th house but I read somewhere it only applies to the first child, and you'd have to look at the 7th house for the next child. The moon? I'm not sure if it's that simple, or even if it's that complex.

To reiterate, I'm trying to understand how to read what a person would be as a parent using their natal chart.

waybread

The 5th house relates to your children.

In horary, sometimes people distinguish between siblings by birth order. I'm not sure why, but this may be because in some questions about one's children, it's desirable to treat them individually. The first child is the 5th house. The second child is the 7th house (3rd from the 5th, as the sibling of the eldest child. A third child would be the 9th house, as the 3rd house from the 7th. And so on.

Because the moon indicates your emotional nature, it would say something about how you are likely to relate to your children on an emotional level.

In traditional astrology, the 4th house relates to your father. This is in the sense of your patrimony. Traditionally one's surname, inheritance, land, occupation or title passed through the male line. Then the mother would be the 10th house, as the 7th (spouse) house from the 4th (father.)

Although the 4th and 10th relate to your parents, one's own parenting style is very much influenced by them.

kimiko8

The 5th house relates to your children.

In horary, sometimes people distinguish between siblings by birth order. I'm not sure why, but this may be because in some questions about one's children, it's desirable to treat them individually. The first child is the 5th house. The second child is the 7th house (3rd from the 5th, as the sibling of the eldest child. A third child would be the 9th house, as the 3rd house from the 7th. And so on.

Because the moon indicates your emotional nature, it would say something about how you are likely to relate to your children on an emotional level.

In traditional astrology, the 4th house relates to your father. This is in the sense of your patrimony. Traditionally one's surname, inheritance, land, occupation or title passed through the male line. Then the mother would be the 10th house, as the 7th (spouse) house from the 4th (father.)

Although the 4th and 10th relate to your parents, one's own parenting style is very much influenced by them.

In that case, a 5th house scorpio means I will be a very... scorpionic mother? Or will the kid be the mysterious, intense one?

My moon is capri so it's not looking too good for the kid :lol:

waybread

If Scorpio is the sign on the cusp of your 5th house, look at what's happening with Mars (traditional ruler) and Pluto (modern ruler) to get more information on your 5th house. Any planets in your 5th house will also say something about your children.

There is nothing wrong with a moon in Capricorn. You may be traditional sort of parent; perhaps more of a disciplinarian, but there is no reason to read anything negative into it.

greybeard

Give the kid to the circus.

What is involved in parenting?

Well, food, clothing, other basics...6th house & 2nd house.

Education, primary and higher...5th & 9th.

And so on...these houses probably to be taken from the 5th, but still....

The 4th & 10th I take to be your own parents, but not your own skills & duties as a parent. The 5th is children, to be sure, but includes our parenting as well.

As I have tried to suggest, parenting involves the whole self and how you love, and most of parenting occurs below consciousness.

Last edited:

kimiko8

If Scorpio is the sign on the cusp of your 5th house, look at what's happening with Mars (traditional ruler) and Pluto (modern ruler) to get more information on your 5th house. Any planets in your 5th house will also say something about your children.

There is nothing wrong with a moon in Capricorn. You may be traditional sort of parent; perhaps more of a disciplinarian, but there is no reason to read anything negative into it.

Don't worry, I think Cap Moon is a great placement, if not mal-aspected severely. I just love poking fun at the goat on the moon.

For me, Pluto is also in 5th and Mars is in 1st, so would this again be giving a clue on parenting style (which I would think moon would seem a better fit) or just parenting "lessons" to be learned?

Give the kid to the circus.

Best idea ever

greybeard

You do not know what your child will become.

You do not know, when you take an action, whether it is the best, or even a good way to deal with the child.

The child will experience you as called for by his own horoscope, do what you may.

My suggestion: Enjoy the day. They won't be kids for long.

katydid

I have a Cap moon, and it is in the 8th and conjunct Mars and Chiron. :unsure:

And my kids still love me. My daughter calls me almost every day and she is grown. lol

My son mostly just when he needs a babysitter for my grandbaby. :happy:

katydid

Pluto in the 5th could just mean you will take your parenting job seriously. With a Cap Moon, we know that to be true. :rightful:

Cap Moons generally take a very active role in their kids daily lives---volunteering to help out at the school, going to Mommy and Me classes, etc.

In some ways it is to keep a close eye on things, and in another way it is to spend quality time and help make sure things are going well.

I was a stay at home Mom because I wanted to be fully engaged in their lives. I know my Cap Moon loved doing it too. Now that they are older, my kids tell me that appreciate how much I did spend time with them as they were growing up. Took them to a lot of organised activities etc.

Worst thing about Cap Moons Moms is we might be a bit too involved with their 'life decisions' as they grow...:innocent: