A research paper! Little help please!

Geitrin

Hello,
I'm doing my research paper about astrology. My exact theme is, ''Do youngsters today believe that their character is affected by their natal chart''

So i need to do an poll by monday but I really don't know what to ask them. I have 61 people and I am going to make a natal chart for each of them and after they read it through they need to assess what they read. But can you help me with the questions I need to ask after that? Questions should be so, that i could do statistics after them.
I'd be really happy, if you could help me a little bit :)

ptolomy

I think your questions need to be very simple and straightforward,You need to be as objective as possible,Try to ignore pre conceived ideas,They might be wrong,You need as much openess as possible to get a reasonable objective result,Not easy in such a subjective art,The questions need to be connected to what an average person might know about astrology,As a general rule their opinions are based on observing the stupidity of newspaper astrology columns,So its not likely to be positive except in the rare few who have looked further.So i suggest a question like:What is your opinion on sun sign astrology?,Or if you are trying to find out the average depth of knowledge in astrology,Please can you tell me the order of the signs or the significance of houses?Or the order of the planets from the sun and their significance?
I understand,It is difficult talking about the average knowledge of astrology.Keep it simple,What ive just suggested is not simple enough,But to get to discussing anything relevant is very hard.Good luck.

Geitrin

thanks for answering!!!

at the moment my questions are:

Have you ever been interested in astrology?

How would you rate your parents' interest in astrology?

Are you aware of your sunsign? (Weight, Cancer, Sagittarius, etc.)

Have you previously looked up the characterization of your sunsign?

Do you believe that human character depends on the planetary status at his birth?

and now i need some more,especially the ones they should answer after reading their natal chart

wilsontc

Staff member
The theme is the thing, to Geitrin

Geitrin,

You said:
I'm doing my research paper about astrology. My exact theme is, ''Do youngsters today believe that their character is affected by their natal chart''...Questions should be so, that i could do statistics after them.

Statistics is not based on a "belief". Statistics is a method to prove a belief correct or incorrect. So the best way to find out about a person's beliefs is to avoid statistics and simply...ask them. Whatever they answer is what they believe. Now, is that belief TRUE and can it be seen in the CHART...that is something else again...

If you want to create a theme that involves statistics, simply make a statement and see if statistics shows that it is possible. The statement could be "A person's character is indicated in their natal chart." Then look for astrological indicators in the chart and find a way to verify whether these astrological indicators show up in the person (e.g., "87% of the people in the study who had Mars in Aries on their Ascendant had strong anger issues."). In order to do a statistical study you have to understand the rules of the thing you are testing. That's why so many scientists have a problem with statistically testing astrology...

Beyond belief,

Tim

greybeard

You are not doing a research paper. You are conducting an opinion poll.

Sun sign astrology is fundamentally without value. The implication in its use is that 1 person in every 12 will "be the same," a proposition that is flawed on its face.