How Oppositions Work?

Rebel Uranian

Recently, I've been interested in doing a sort of study to see how oppositions work. I know what an oppositions does. It forces the planets to balance each other out. What I'm wondering is how to figure out where the balancing point is and what the results are. Anyone else with an opposition aspect or who knows someone with an opposition aspect interested in sharing your experiences so I can figure out exactly what the effects of oppositions are?

byjove

Account Closed
Hi there!

I love re-exploring basic aspects like this...I think as we get older and learn more, we understand higher levels to these aspects...:biggrin:

So..how/what/how? OK...I've Venus in Pisces opposition Moon in Virgo. Somewhere along the way they balanced a fair bit.....I'm known to be both people...but in one. Virgo criticism and perfectionism and analytical yet...gentle, a real helper, especially to strangers or those being attacked/beaten/bullied and UBER-romantic...in one person? Yep. To get deeper into balancing...the Moon moves slower and so casts the aspect to Venus. The Moon is in the 3rd house, and is ruler of the ASC so extra strong. The 3rd house is a house of absorbing details constantly and these are brought into a higher context in the philosophical 9th house, where Venus is charged to assimilate the information into larger schemes. Which is stronger? That's hard to say, and before dabbling in strength and dignity, the bottom line is I am both and known for both, and I know it...

Have I answered anything you're looking for? I may have rambled a little...

miquar

Hi Rebel Uranian. I'm not sure that there is a balance point that remains static over time. With the hard aspects in general, a balance point is probably impossible due to the way they tend to generate excess energy. I think its more about checking out how each planet is defended against the other (due to differing values described by the essential nature and their general placement in the chart) and then softening the defences so that the give-and take between the planets is more fluid and in tune with the needs of the moment, rather than a 'tug-of-war' or 'see saw' action that prevents spontaneity. Each planet in an opposition needs to be able to understand the viewpoint of the other planet.

Edward de Bono's idea of the different coloured hats is a good way to approach planets that are in hard asepct and not generally inclined to get along that well anyway - you can probably google it or look at Wikipeadia or something.

Inconjunct

Oppositions are like living in a house with two doors at either end of the house and someone knocking at both of them. You can't answer both, so you attend to one door at a time. At different points in your life, you will focus more on one end or the other of the opposition. Clues as to how to resolve this conflict can be offered if there is a third planet in square to the two opposing planets.

For instance: -

I have Sun in Taurus in the 2nd opposition Moon/Neptune in Scorpio in the 7th/8th (Placidus) with Mars in Leo in the 6th as the third planet squaring the two luminaries. I interpret this as meaning my instinctive need to reach out to others and to form relationships with them (Moon in 7th) can be clouded by sexual drives and daydreams (Scorpio/Neptune in the 8th) and can be at odds with my "life mission" to achieve security and stability (Sun in Taurus in 2nd) (and if you could see some of the relationships I've had, that would make sense LOL). Mars in Leo reminds me that a resolution of this conflict involves me being more attentive to and assertive of my own needs and desires. As it is in the 6th, I see this as a further clue that putting my energy into work can also bring a resolution to this conflict (presumably by giving me something else to think about!!)

Hope that helps.

miquar

Or easier than a T-square, a planet in sextile/trine to the opposing planets to mediate between them and release the tension. If there isn't a natal planet here, then there will be transiting and progressed planets moving over the 4 points from which the opposition is trined/sextiled from time to time. A natal, transiting or progressed planet in quintile to one end of an opposition can also be very helpful in resolving any deadlock between the opposing planets.

Inconjunct

And of course, every opposition will have a midpoint - in T squares, the third planet is effectively conjunct the midpoint between the two opposing planets. You might also consider planets aspecting the midpoint other than through conjunction, or transits over that midpoint.

desperateneptune

And of course, every opposition will have a midpoint - in T squares, the third planet is effectively conjunct the midpoint between the two opposing planets. You might also consider planets aspecting the midpoint other than through conjunction, or transits over that midpoint.
but what if the person can not use the energy of the balancing planet? for example i have moon 1st h opposing neptune 7 th and saturn in the 4th without it aspecting neither planets- no planets in the 10th. is saturn the balancing point? cause for me it does not work, i can not operate under saturn it only depresses me. here is my chart- thank u
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...6&smon=8&syr=2011&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&ast=

Inconjunct

Sometimes there is no "balancing planet" which means you either flip flop between the two ends of the opposition or you draw on other factors in the chart to help you resolve the conflict there. With you, it would seem to be that your emotional vulnerability (Moon Gemini 1st) is at odds with your tendency to deceive yourself about other people (Neptune 7th), suggesting that you may be your own worst enemy when it comes to relationships. Liz Greene says the Sun often hints at what you need to do to heal difficult factors in your chart - here it is in Scorpio which perhaps suggests you need to draw on your natural drive to self-protection, by playing your cards close to your chest and not wearing your heart on your sleeve (I hope you understand these English colloquial phrases, but I can't think of a better way of putting them!)

desperateneptune

Sometimes there is no "balancing planet" which means you either flip flop between the two ends of the opposition or you draw on other factors in the chart to help you resolve the conflict there. With you, it would seem to be that your emotional vulnerability (Moon Gemini 1st) is at odds with your tendency to deceive yourself about other people (Neptune 7th), suggesting that you may be your own worst enemy when it comes to relationships. Liz Greene says the Sun often hints at what you need to do to heal difficult factors in your chart - here it is in Scorpio which perhaps suggests you need to draw on your natural drive to self-protection, by playing your cards close to your chest and not wearing your heart on your sleeve (I hope you understand these English colloquial phrases, but I can't think of a better way of putting them!)
i understand :lol: .when you say my own worst enemy in relationships you mean as far as choices are concerned ? thank u

Inconjunct

Yes, I think - looking at your chart - that you are prone to other people's deception and also maybe to idealising people you are in a relationship with, meaning you don't always make good choices; also I think you might give too much of yourself away, emotionally, with that Moon in the 1st. Sun Scorpio gives you a natural healthy distrust and also a tendency to secrecy in the cause of self-preservation, both of which you need to draw on more in order to avoid the pitfalls. Hope that makes sense :)

desperateneptune

Yes, I think - looking at your chart - that you are prone to other people's deception and also maybe to idealising people you are in a relationship with, meaning you don't always make good choices; also I think you might give too much of yourself away, emotionally, with that Moon in the 1st. Sun Scorpio gives you a natural healthy distrust and also a tendency to secrecy in the cause of self-preservation, both of which you need to draw on more in order to avoid the pitfalls. Hope that makes sense :)

i suppose the same goes for neptune opposing my ascendant...so basically i have to use my sun to protect myself from my bad choices? can i not ''deactivate'' the bad choice factor?
I think that the sun's energy is a bit weak cause its in the 6 th house and also scorpio is intercepted in my chart...

Last edited:

Inconjunct

I don't buy all that business about planets operating at half power because of being in cadent houses or intercepted houses. Reason being that, in different house systems, they might not be in a cadent house or, in certain house systems would never be intercepted. So it doesn't make sense to me.

Deactivating the bad choice factor involves using your Sun, IMO. Other people may have differing views, of course.

Idrew

I have a very tight opposition between sun jupiter conj and mars. Mars also trines my moon. I find that the opposition is like a battle for me with my sun trying to control mars temper and aggression. In my case mars is very hard to control.

desperateneptune

I don't buy all that business about planets operating at half power because of being in cadent houses or intercepted houses. Reason being that, in different house systems, they might not be in a cadent house or, in certain house systems would never be intercepted. So it doesn't make sense to me.

Deactivating the bad choice factor involves using your Sun, IMO. Other people may have differing views, of course.

that's good to hear :happy: i suppose as time goes by i will learn to make choices using my sun -eventhough i am not sure i will ever be able to enjoy something ''plutonian'' thank u!

lazarusx

Oppositions are like living in a house with two doors at either end of the house and someone knocking at both of them. You can't answer both, so you attend to one door at a time. At different points in your life, you will focus more on one end or the other of the opposition. Clues as to how to resolve this conflict can be offered if there is a third planet in square to the two opposing planets.

I don't suppose a sextile made from a 3rd planet would also apply, since it's not exactly at the middle point of the oppositions? ;)

My sun is in opposition to Saturn,Neptune and Uranus, i have noticed somewhat of a sea-saw effect with myself, it's almost like i become a different person for a while. But i think Pluto's transformation is key here, my Sun is Trine with it, and it sextiles Neptune and Saturn..

byjove

Account Closed
Miquar - do you think that a planet with much conflict in a chart (squares and oppositions) can benefit from a strong trine with another planet to relieve tension?

Inconjunct - you were saying that you don't buy into the 'half-power' idea of intercepted planets...can you say any more on that? Intercepted planets always interested me, and I was never convinced by the half-power idea either. How do you think they operate then? What does that mean? And that 'gateway' idea to the next house...

Inconjunct

Scorpio is also ruled by Mars, don't forget, desperateneptune

lazarusx - as miquar pointed out, a sextile from a third planet to one of the opposition's ends can offer some mitigation

byjove - I find it difficult to accept any significant effect that relies totally on the house system you use. In whole sign and equal house systems, no house is ever intercepted, for instance. A planet that appears in a cadent house in one system may appear in a succedent or even an angular one in another. So to me, that makes no sense at all and I don't use it. However, the vagaries of house systems mean that what DOES make sense to me is the idea that a planet near or on the cusp of a house should be interpreted as if it also was in the following house - the "gateway" effect you're talking about?

but what if the person can not use the energy of the balancing planet? for example i have moon 1st h opposing neptune 7 th and saturn in the 4th without it aspecting neither planets- no planets in the 10th. is saturn the balancing point? cause for me it does not work, i can not operate under saturn it only depresses me. here is my chart- thank u
http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...6&smon=8&syr=2011&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&ast=

I notice you are a double gemini/ rising and moon, this suggests much restlessness procrastination and sitting on the fence and not wanting to make decisions. 7th house planets are not easily recognised even though angular. You may attract partner where they expect you to make sacrifices, which you do automatically, without thinking. Also as it involves the moon we can refer back to childhood and mother, quite often suggests problems relating to mother, either emotionall unavailable or smother loved, but always confusions and mysteries around mother and early domestic circumstances.

BUT your moon has *other aspects* nice easy trines which *help out* you need to realise we are all mutlifaceted human beings and simply don't act out just one aspects.

In equal house Cancer/moon rules 2nd house of how you earn your money connected to family, food, catering all quite possible. you are not a typical scorpio either with sun conj uranus and mercury, this will seriously overshadow your sun's energies/rays and make you more like Aquarius/uranus. I mention this as Uranus is MC ruler and placed in 6th house of service industries, are great with computers, technology etc.

So, how do you balance out the confusions of emotions? I have his aspect, and my old astrology teacher said music as it soothes the soul and Neptune, always carry walkman or ipod...

I don't suppose a sextile made from a 3rd planet would also apply, since it's not exactly at the middle point of the oppositions? ;)

My sun is in opposition to Saturn,Neptune and Uranus, i have noticed somewhat of a sea-saw effect with myself, it's almost like i become a different person for a while. But i think Pluto's transformation is key here, my Sun is Trine with it, and it sextiles Neptune and Saturn..

of course they help out. You are not the sum total of *just one aspect* we are all multifaceted human beings:w00t:

Miquar - do you think that a planet with much conflict in a chart (squares and oppositions) can benefit from a strong trine with another planet to relieve tension?

Inconjunct - you were saying that you don't buy into the 'half-power' idea of intercepted planets...can you say any more on that? Intercepted planets always interested me, and I was never convinced by the half-power idea either. How do you think they operate then? What does that mean? And that 'gateway' idea to the next house...

I think you will find he was referring to my comments/thread about cadent houses. think he even started a thread to discuss it?

this is my idea/thoughts--
Houses: angular houses 1/7 4/10 the energies of planets placed here are obvious cos it's your 'shop window' visible for everyone to see. Next the succeedent houses 2/8 & 5/11 the energies in these houses are not in shop window the are in the shop, but stood behind the counter, ready to come out when needed. Lastly, cadent houses 6/12 & 3/9 these houses/planets are not in shop window or stood behind the counter, they are in the back storeroom and only come out when 'triggered' or an emergency and much harder to recognise and access...

The houses are like the backdrop of a stage, the setting if you like, the planets are like actors and the aspects are how the planets behave in that settings/stage....

“The angles of the chart are the strongest, most potent sectors. In most house systems these mark the beginnings of the first, tenth, seventh and fourth houses, in order of potency. Any planet in conjunction with an angle will have a marked influence that resonates throughout the chart and greatly colours its overall meaning. Planets located in the angles of the chart are the strongest and most significant. Because of their primary importance, the angles are often referred to as the cardinal points and they relate directly to the cardinal directions east, south, west and north.”
http://www.astrologycom.com/houses.html

Last edited: