When is an applying aspect necessary?

eonechoes

So I was thinking about my future and decided to do a little horary of "Will I be able to adopt?" Meaning, you know, will I be successful enough to afford it, and have the time, etc.

Me having hammered into my head "no applying aspect means NO!!!" I was stunned when I saw no applying aspect between the ruler of the 1st (Mars - 14Tau) and the ruler of the 11th (Sat - 23Leo). Nor between the Moon (01Leo) and 11th house ruler.

But rather, the 11th house ruler is in detriment, with the accidental dignity of conj. Venus (Sat's only aspect) and it's on the very cusp on the 6th house.

I am Mars, in detriment, though I personally like Mars in Taurus - talk about drive - in the 2nd, unaspected. The second likely indicates that I am most concerned with my financial stability before I can adopt. The fact that it's unaspected - seems like I would be doing it alone - if I was to. In other words unmarried. The whole first house is empty and the 11th contains Chiron and Neptune.

Asc is the apex of a t-square with Merc (03Can) and MC (02Cap). MC seems to be that my career, which would be in Journalism (Merc maybe?), would get in the way of my personal life? Also the Asc is trine the Moon.

I'll also add that Mercury and the MC are receiving a sextile and trine, respectively from Venus. It doesn't seem my career will be suffering, especially since the Asc can only receive and not give aspects, but rather that my career will challenge my personal life.

Seems like the idea here is that my career, and therefore not so much lack of financial security, but lack of time for my children, will get in the way of my personal life, therefore not giving me the time to adopt. Or at least not on the time frame I was kind of expecting. (Won't get out of college until age 26, wanted to adopt around 30.)

My question here is: there's no applying aspect between any possible significator of me and the ruler of the 11th, does that mean 'no'? If not, in what types of charts is an applying aspect required for a positive answer?

EDIT: Attached chart. I'm not really looking for an answer for this specific chart but more so the question of "what types of horary question require an applying aspect between the querent and quesited?"

Attachments

• WRIAC2.JPG
    WRIAC2.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

al Nablusi

eonechoes said:
Me having hammered into my head "no applying aspect means NO!!!"

Not necessarily. Have you checked if any of the following is present in the chart:

1. One of the significator or the Moon conjunct or opposite the antiscial degrees of the other significator.

2. Collection of light

3. Translation of light

4. Rendering of light

5. Mutual reception

The horary questions that require an applying aspect between the significators are all those questions asked about events that require the parties to take some action.

Whereas horaries on lost objects, missing people etc. are emplacement horaries: perfection is not needed, only the position and dignity of the planets at the time of the question is considered.

However, there are people who use a mixed approach, looking also for perfection in emplacement horaries, and viceversa.

eonechoes

al Nablusi said:
Not necessarily. Have you checked if any of the following is present in the chart:

1. One of the significator or the Moon conjunct or opposite the antiscial degrees of the other significator.

2. Collection of light

3. Translation of light

4. Rendering of light

5. Mutual reception

The horary questions that require an applying aspect between the significators are all those questions asked about events that require the parties to take some action.

Whereas horaries on lost objects, missing people etc. are emplacement horaries: perfection is not needed, only the position and dignity of the planets at the time of the question is considered.

However, there are people who use a mixed approach, looking also for perfection in emplacement horaries, and viceversa.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! :D It actually changes the way I look at a previous horary chart.

If you don't mind, what is rendering of light? I can't find anything on Google about it.

al Nablusi

I found this "aspect" described in Lee Lehman's book (95). It has been mentioned by Lilly and by Dariot.

Rendering of light

A planet in its own house or any other of its dignities (house, exaltation, triplicity - I am not too sure about terms and decanate though - as these are too weak) applies to a planet that is either

- retrograde
- combust

Both planets must be in angular or succedent house. If one of them is in a cadent house, then this aspect is ineffective. Better if the planet that renders the light is in an angle.

The example given by Dariot is the following:

Mercury is combust in Taurus, and the Moon applies a sextile to it.

Mercury is in the Moon's exaltation. Being combust, Mercury "because of his imbecility which cometh by his retrogradation or combustion, cannot hold or keep the vertue which the other doth communicate or give unto him by his aspect"

Mercury is unable to keep the "energy" of the Moon and gives it back to the Moon.

Quote from Lehman p. 95

"The Rendering in this chart is as follows. Venus is seriously debilitated by being combust as well as in fall. But Venus is disposed by Mars, and is in the approaching sextile to Mars. Mars is not strong. But the combination of aspect and disposition brings Venus and Mars together. This does argue that the two of them will ultimately come to agreement."