Human existence: the gender of God

petosiris

Banned
Read the whole chapters, Opal, and pray to the Father that his Son may reveal his secrets hidden from before the foundations of the world to you by the Spirit of knowledge.

waybread

I am not going to debate the Trinity with a Jew. I told you that I don't believe such thing. It is quite clear from our conversation who is arguing for the sake of arguing, and who is arguing for the sake of love.

Was that just an anti-semitic remark?

I will happily debate the trinity with you, Petosiris. At least I believe in the Creator. That's one out of three: something to go on.

I don't see you arguing for the sake of love, although I have given you many opportunities to do that.

Maybe, if God the Father is such a powerful image for you, you could explain why in relation to your relationship with your own father.

waybread

No, because God wants us to have personal and growing relationship with him as a son has with a father.

How do you presume to speak for God?

Wherein is it written that one must not pray to the feminine nature of God? If "God made man in his own image, male and female He created them," (Gen. 1:27) then wouldn't this mean that part of God's nature-- and image-- is female?

Last edited:

waybread

''The Christian Religion is, above all the Religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern Times, The Religion of Wisdom, Virtue, Equity and Humanity, let the Blackguard Paine say what he will. It is Resignation to God—it is Goodness itself to Man.'' - John Adams :smile: https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Adams/01-03-02-0013-0002-0015

OK, but he wasn't a prophet. We are free to disagree with him. Possibly Adams was unaware of the depravity of Christian persecution of Jews. Did he know about progroms in eastern Europe? Torture murder of Jews and heretics in Spain? Maybe Adams forgot about Catholics and Protestants killing one another, in various wars; or witch burnings conducted by Catholic and Protestant churches.

These are examples of why Christian triumphalism strikes a sour note with so many people.

waybread

God may encompass everything in the universe, but he must encompass the law of identity and the law of non-contradiction. God can't be an equivocation.

What are the laws of identity and non-contradiction?

Basically there is an old theological argument about whether God is immanent or transcendent. Cf. omnipresence.

I go for immanence.

waybread

What is the feminine version like? :lol:

Ironically, when we think about parental love, it is the mother with her young child who most often comes to mind. In Catholicism, this is the image of Mary holding the baby Jesus and adoration of St. Mary. She is referred to as the Mother of God, Mother of the Church, Our Lady, the Queen of Heaven, and the Star of the Sea.

Mary is portrayed as acceptably feminine (motherhood and chastity,) not feminist, but her importance in Catholicism cannot be under-estimated. They have a whole field of study called Mariology.

Variants that give Mary a truly powerful role in national worship would be the Virgin of Guadaloupe of Mexico, Our Lady of Fátima of Portugal, and the Black Madonna.

Opal

Premium Member
Ummm.. maybe omnipresent.

Opal, you are a blessing to the people you serve. Please stay well.

Thank you for your kind words Waybread. People know my phone number, that I have a truck, and that I will do what I can, within reason. I do social distance, as best I can.

If you all can, check on your elderly and housebound(handicapped)neighbours. A knock and a sign will work. (Are you okay? Can I get you anything at the grocery? Do you need anything?)If you are headed to the store, maybe they need something you can do.

We are not talking to each other. Anywhere. It is strange to observe. The world has changed, a new normal is beginning.

We are not under martial law they say. It just looks and feels like it. Their presence is everywhere. We need it, for the homeless would be knocking at your door without them. I hope “they” achieve what they want expediently, so their semblance of normalcy can begin again.

May you and yours be safe too Waybread!