astrology and addiction.

leneshmarie

I’m wondering if any one who is a little more advanced than I am, could look at this chart of my step-dad (my sisters dad) and tell me if there is anything that would be possible triggers in the personality for relapse. He’s been a drug addict for about 20 years now, and though he’s been relatively "clean" for the past few years, he always seems to relapse at critical points in his and ours (his families) life. I’ve read that Uranus opposition Chiron can create an addictive personality, but I’d like to work on how to find the "triggers" so that I can possibly help in the healing process and work on solving the problem, thanks for any help :)

astro_w2gw_109_c_z_hp101742557.gif

waybread

Just a couple of preliminary questions:

1. Is 6:00 a.m. the correct birth time or an estimate? It makes a difference.
2. What is his addiction? Sometimes people take drugs to escape the pain [harsh aspects to the sun], to seek transcendance (Neptune) or because they feel they need to experience the Dark Side first hand (Pluto).
3. How would you describe his temper?

RayAustin

"Triggers" are the transits and progressions of the planets interacting with the positions of themselves natally.

tsquare

I’m wondering if any one who is a little more advanced than I am, could look at this chart of my step-dad (my sisters dad) and tell me if there is anything that would be possible triggers in the personality for relapse. He’s been a drug addict for about 20 years now, and though he’s been relatively "clean" for the past few years, he always seems to relapse at critical points in his and ours (his families) life. I’ve read that Uranus opposition Chiron can create an addictive personality, but I’d like to work on how to find the "triggers" so that I can possibly help in the healing process and work on solving the problem, thanks for any help :)

Hi cousin It. (Avatar Joke)

Allot of people have Uranus opposite chiron.
there are also allot of people addicted to one thing or another, wheither its going to the races, watching TV, eating tacos, fighting, jumping off tall things for the fun of it....then there are drugs...I'm just saying allot of things act like drugs, escapes, sensation, release, and relief from pain, their personal past, present, or future reality, suffering, needing to endure, whatever idea or fixed aspect that person has in existence that they can't seem to handle without allot of hell.
I once read 80 % of the world was on some form of a drug.

Sounds like there are triggers, event's, possibly reminders, or addes strsses that add to the relapse.
That would be the mix of the environment plus the persons current personal realitym the lens through which one views reality, the senses....the way we do things, percieve...but most adictions have to do with the past...escape from the past in the present...to a different reality, a mix of reality..drugs hlep to create ones own reality. It is nice sitting there knowing that if a plane falls through the roof that "everything is going to be ok..".

Venus is in detriment I believe is the word, in early scorpio first degree.
In the second as well.
I know of another that has venus in scorpio in the second house. That woul be Anthony Keidis of the RHCP, he's had his time with drugs...adiction, quiting, starting back up, quiting again....so...maybe venus is something to look at there in
scorpio. Maybe transits to that planet. I'm not sure what exactly could set it off. I've never looked at adiction before in a chart, transit wise.

He has allot of air and fire in the chart...just an observation.
Only one planet in a water sign.

IT might be tricky for you to solve the problem but you can be the judge of how much you can help.

I'd watch his moon maybe...moon transits and moon cycles may help...
Then you could check and see aspects to his moon with past relapses and get an idea if that may be it, or you could look at other moon things, like full moons, new moons, etc.

Maybe transits to venus as well.
Then the NN SN axis with the moon and mars smack dab on it.
I don't get the nodes yet.
I've just seen that having mars in asoect to the nodes can either be really good or really bad...I like sexiles to the NN trines the the SN. THe moon on the SN..I'm not sure...it does rule the 10thH..andis in Leo..a proud moon, 15thH degree...I think there is a name for the degree...heart of the lion or sonething...don't quote me on that.

Not an expert,
TS

PS: Sorry for the spelling.

Last edited:
lenish:

Right now your step dad has Neptune transiting over his Mars in his fifth house, and this is opposing his natal moon in Leo. Neptune rules alcohol and can trigger relapses (which are in fact a part of the addiction recovery process). In addition I notice that he has Uranus conjunct his Sun and also mercury in his first house. This would make for an individual that has a great deal of what I would call 'high strung energy'. People with excess energy need to use a lot of physical exercise to keep them grounded. I would also suggest a 12 step program such as AA. Addiction is epidemic just about everywhere these days, but trying to go it alone is too hard for most people. The support that people are able to get to 'stay sober, one day at a time' in AA or other groups is worth it's weight in gold. He doesn't have to do this all by himself. People of all walks of life, and classes are fighting this disease and AA has a place of love and support for him if he is willing to give it a chance. Astrology gives us certain information or aspects, but what we choose to do with that information is up to us. Your step dad's choices about his addictions are his and his alone. The support he could have from others that are dealing with the same things he is dealing with has the most likely outcome of success. Good luck and god's good blessings on him and your family.

Sixaquarius

Frisiangal

sixaquarius: Right now your step dad has Neptune transiting over his Mars in his fifth house

Yes, definitely, and transit Mars has recently conjoined natal Neptune!
Neptune has rulership over addiction and is also ruler of the 6th house, also the house of employment (or the lack thereof). Natal Jupiter-Neptune opposes Saturn, so any addiction becomes a difficult to break chronic and lengthy problem.
Saturn-Neptune can often be suggestive of the 'failure' complex and the subsequent low self esteem issues that accompany it. Add Jupiter and Sag. and you get the high flying, larger than life ideals that can be crushed by Saturn's reality, which can then become quite mentally depressing. How do you get rid of such depression, especially with a transiting Saturn in the 12th house? Making a grab for anything that is a means of escape from the harsh reality of life that one cannot cope with, by numbing the senses and taking one 'out of one's self.'

The chart is suggestive of someone with deep-seated mental and emotional issues regarding self esteem, equality, and the right to be who and how he is rather than conform to the norms others place upon him. He has no planets in Earth and only Venus in an Earth realm of experience. Emotionally sensual and possessive and with all that Libra influence, probably a hunk to look at as well. But good looks and deep emotions don't pay the electricity bill! ;) Yet those who expect him to live within and deal with the realities of every day life may be asking that which, through no fault but because he is as he is, is unable to deliver. Escape by addictive measures may be the manner with which to avoid the eruption of anger, powerlessness, even guilt, with which he is confronted when these realities are placed before him.

As Pluto now squares its natal position, the eruption won't be held in much longer. If he cannot do it himself, professional help to reach its roots may be a solution towards a totally new outlook on life. Much more preferable to the self-imposed lonely incarceration of a transiting Saturn in 12th?

Frisiangal

Claire19

I do not personally believe in a connection with CHiron and Uranus for addictions. His Pluto in the 12th points to this problem but able to rehabilitate. His Neptune conjunct Jupiter opposing Saturn is another influence. IN Sagittarius it tends to exaggerate it all. I feel however that his use can be more restricted than perhaps other users and he can use discipline to overcome it all. I am not getting the feeling that he is a major dysfunctional with this. Addiction is a physical psychological and emotional issue and very often genetic.

O

OrcinusOrca

The first aspect my attention was drawn to was the natal conjunction of Jupiter and Neptune. This aspect can give you idealism and creativity but can also bring about addictions. In my experience immersion in and concentration on artistic or spiritual pursuits can help one stay away from drug addictions when Neptune is strong in a chart.

Pluto is in the 12th house is fairly substancial. Pluto, the planet of death and destruction but also of rebirth and regeneration in the 12th house of the Subconcious and Spirituality...

Your step-father also has retrograde Saturn conjunct retrograde Pallas on the cusp of his 8th and 9th house just inside Gemini.

The fact that this conjunction is in Gemini would give me an idea that he would have trouble expressing himself but that the technique of clear communication in speaking and writing is of paramount importance in his life.

Being on the cusp of the 8th/9th house suggests he may have credit issues or trouble handling other people's money.

Lin

Hi...
The first thing you want to do is release yourself from any responsibility to this man regarding his addiction. Then you need to not feel and guilt for allowing yourself to NOT feel any responsibility.

Addicts are different from you and me. They can't be 'figured out' rationally because they are not rational. They are never cured, they are only "recovering" at any given moment.

This man has, as a couple of people have pointed out, major Neptunian difficulties in his chart. Neptune conjunct Jupiter means too much Neptune, and an out of balance need to escape. Pluto square Neptune Jupiter shows a lifelong fight (internal fight).... which I call the clash of the Titans.... Major energy in constant war. Those who get in the way become "collateral damage."

Because Mars rules his 7th and Mars it opposes his moon, ANY emotional issue, past or present can cause him to implode.
His Sun conjunct Uranus makes him unpredictable. With THIS guy, what you see is NOT what you get.

HIs Saturn, which rules self control and self discipline is in a cadent house, which makes it weaker than would be desired for someone who needs a lot of control. His Saturn oppose Neptune-Jupiter, another "clash of the titans," means hypervigilance, and if he is not in a 12 step program, he probably will continue the way he is going for the rest of his life.... periods of sobriety mixed with lots of relapsing, depending upon how emotionally stressed he is. And emotional stress is a day to day unknown quantity.

The important thing to know is that you can't fix him. That's his deal.

Also, be forewarned that women whose parents or other major influences in their lives who are addicts tend to be attracted to addicts themselves and continue the cycle. Addiction can be drugs, alcohol, spending, working, sex, gambling.....well, you get the idea. A man (or woman) who is caught in the web of addiction spends most of their energy on their addiction, not to mention money and time. And most addicts are narcissists.... Neptune keeps them focused on their own needs and not the needs of any other person in their life.

Addicts make poor role modes, parents, partners and employees. And when they die they leave nothing but the destruction they have created.

I hope I have made myself clear, and that you choose to have a healthy, functional life with people around you who are living a real life without the drama and sorrow of addiction to complicate it. Leave "saving" stepdad to the professionals. And if he chooses not to apply for help from professionals or AA, etc, then that is HIS decision.

Extricate yourself as soon as possible.
LIN