What do you guys think of this link....Sighting the 13th zodiac sign

LionKing

I read that this morning. Glad to see that I'm still a Leo... hee hee. But reading all of the notes on it, it is said that 'those are the people that are born on and after 2009.' Guess we'll have to see how this works out.
V/r LionKing

Frank

Sigh.

Every few years some astronomer gets his or her knickers in a twist and has to say something about this. It's a classic Straw Man Argument.

Here's something I wrote up a few years ago that briefly covers the subject:

Astrology 101 – A Zodiac Explanation

An area of confusion amongst inexperienced astrologers and those totally ignorant of how astrology is practiced is the difference amongst tropical signs, sidereal signs and constellations.

Heres an overview:

Tropical Zodiac Is 12-fold division of the Ecliptic (the apparent path of the Sun around the Earth) which starts with the Vernal Equinox as 0 degrees Aries with each sign having 30 degrees - used in Western Tropical astrology.

Sidereal Zodiac Is 12-fold division of the Ecliptic based on an ayanamsa value as the projected from the Vernal Equinox for the 0 Aries point to supposedly correct for precession, each sign having 30 degrees. These are mostly used in Vedic astrology, also known as Jyotish. There are several ayanamsas currently in use by different schools of Vedic astrological thought, such as Lahiri ( the official Indian government ayanamsa), the Fagan-Bradley, the Rahman, and the Khrisnamurti. All of these are around 24 degrees forward of the Vernal Equinox. Thus, someone who has the Sun placed at 1 degree Aries in the Tropical Zodiac, the Vedic position would be 6 degrees Pisces.

Constellations The zodiacal constellations do not really have specific, completely agreed upon boundaries. They are not each 30 degrees in length. Most astrologers (except for some Western Siderealists) do not use the constellations to measure planetary movement. Due to precession, the constellations do not correspond with the Tropical Zodiac, nor do the constellations fit into Sidereal Signs due to the inexact and varied size of the constellations. Astrology debunkers frequently set up a Straw Man argument about this because they dont know how astrology is really practiced.

One must realize that no one of these ways of measuring planetary positions against the background of the Ecliptic is correct or incorrect - they are just different ways of measuring the same thing. They all describe the 360 degrees of the Ecliptic. One may use different tools or markers an objects length, the length itself remains the same. Just as 4 inches equals 10.16 centimeters equals 1 hand, its all the same length - just a different measuring system.

Frank

368411bc-9c80-489f-ac08-e8f9df32e0a8.jpg

HippieGhost

So basically frank, according to what your posted in this thread and the other thread on ophiucus, the constellation reall doesn't have any effect on us at all, and even if it was added to the sidereal zodiac it wouldn't matter since most people use the tropical. Right?

queenfluff

I am still a Virgo Sun by a hair. :) Does that mean I now on the Virgo/Leo cusp? That could change things...hmmm.:devil: I stick to my original Western astrology chart and nothing has changed for me (better not - I have just finished understanding my chart - I am not goin' redo it! haha!)

I have to admit I am having some laughs reading all the comments by people on here and on the articles on Yahoo. :)

Funny how some people are reactions like their identies have been taken away and they have to change their personalities - If you were a Virgo and are now a Leo but know you are more like a Virgo, than you are. :) I am pretty sure I will never feel like a Leo (except in love :love:.) So problem solved. :)

E

eternalautumn

So basically frank, according to what your posted in this thread and the other thread on ophiucus, the constellation reall doesn't have any effect on us at all, and even if it was added to the sidereal zodiac it wouldn't matter since most people use the tropical. Right?

Correct. (Sorry, Frank. :smile:)

BobZemco

So basically frank, according to what your posted in this thread and the other thread on ophiucus, the constellation reall doesn't have any effect on us at all

Actually it does have an effect, it makes people stupid.

You can arrange the Constellations anyway you want, have as many as you want, and call them whatever you want: Cat, Dog, Rat, Frog, Gummi Bear, Patch of Brown Liquid, Beans & Bangers, Silicon Chip, Broken Glass, Tax Man, Dictator, Sinking Ship, Orange Peel, Octopus Eating Clam, Pub Dart Champion, Kabab Stand or whatever.

Astrology was founded on a group of 12 Constellations and the fact that some people have deep-rooted emotional and psychological problems and constantly insist on changing things in order to feel some sense of self worth and importance because they crave attention means nothing, and it certainly has no impact or bearing on Astrology.

The Constellations have changed shape since the inception of Astrology, and stars have even wandered from one Constellation into another, and at some point in the distant future the present Constellations will be unrecognizable to us all in the here and now based on their shapes, but it won't change the way we delineate the Signs and Houses in charts.

queenfluff

Actually it does have an effect, it makes people stupid.

You can arrange the Constellations anyway you want, have as many as you want, and call them whatever you want: Cat, Dog, Rat, Frog, Gummi Bear, Patch of Brown Liquid, Beans & Bangers, Silicon Chip, Broken Glass, Tax Man, Dictator, Sinking Ship, Orange Peel, Octopus Eating Clam, Pub Dart Champion, Kabab Stand or whatever.

LMAO!

This is my new sign. :biggrin:

Attachments

• thumbnailCA9JTQ6P.jpg
    thumbnailCA9JTQ6P.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 17

byjove

Account Closed
--sits trenched in ready to shoot the snakes--

I think the different regional astrological federations should get out in the media and stamp on this clap-trap. Whether they want to take responsibility or not, astrology is suffering because of nonsense like this which is spun out into the mass media every few years by the next average Joe desperate to make his cheap fortune. Meanwhile, the gigantic increase in visitors to this forum and this thread in recent days shows the huge number of VICTIMS of this MISINFORMATION. And the rest of us astrologers are left to pick up the pieces.

I'd have more patience if astronomers and scientists in particular would stop pretending to the world that many of their finest weren't also astrologers. Also, the lack of unified face for this community is disastrous for us. PR anyone?

aKuna

Just posted a blog on it .. my impressions are from spiritual channeling regarding it and I do feel it is fitting in with the expansion of human consciousness. As we the human expand we need more to express who we are and this seems to do it.
Using the 12sign original chart we can create expanded persona with this
13sign chart as an over lay.........sort of adding an hue or tone to the color
which we already are...at 68 I have a huge progressive chart going and using
this seems to actually express me more clearly.
I'm originally Taurus sun Aries Rising and with progression gained more Cancer but rapidly more recently Im expressing more ARIES and this 13sign chart accounts for that.
below is the general blog with some followers comments.
http://croneinthewoods.multiply.com/journal/item/659/_Astrology_s_13th_month_Zodiac_Sign

Olivia

I just looked at your blog. The 12 sign zodiac has been around for thousands of years - not since 1930. I'm not sure where you got that information, but it's wrong - and you can check any number of astrology texts from the past 2000 years to verify it, if you wish.