Pluto in the Second House

aquarius7000

Hi all,

The aim of this thread is to gather experiences of natives blessed with the titled constellation in their natal chart, or those interested in discussing it. Let me get the ball rolling by sharing my own thoughts on this. Please, however, note that not every aspect/characteristic that will be mentioned in relation to this constellation need apply to every native with Pluto in the Second. As always, we will need to look at the natal chart in its entirety, if we endeavour to explain the real influence of an aspect on the native.

Intense and transformational Pluto in the Second House of material securities, but also of self-worth and value-systems can induce a deep need for self-reliance and self-sufficiency, which could lead to a certain obsession with one's possessions. The native's self-worth and values might also be connected to his material possessions and/or his ability for acquiring them. He may even use the 'power' of his money to control/manipulate (Pluto) others - askewed value systems (Taurus). Pluto in this house will thus call for the native to reconsider and transform his values, reorganise his finances, and thereby regenerate his own self in connection with these issues.

Pluto being connected to the past (and past lives, if you believe in them) could also reflect deep, hidden fears connected to the second-house matters/finances or actually loss thereof, which have to do with a karmic debt, the burden of which comes from the native's past.

Pluto also being a planet of extremes can make the native experience periods of extreme highs and lows in regard to finances. The same again could be the case with things of deep value to the native (like very personal/valuable friendships, talents..), the native's value systems and even his own self-worth.

Personally, with this constellation in my chart, I have always strived extreme self-reliance in personal finances, in fact quite early in life (even without a real need to earn my own dough); and yes, there is a certain fear attached to losing it or rather becoming financially dependent (I also have Pluto in a tight square to Moon-also connected with financial security), which luckily I can keep under control. Another thing, I have gone through periods of big money splashes, like literally throwing money down the drain (as an Aqua, I am not very good with personal finances); and I, thus, am sometimes even thankful for that fear connected with losing my financial security/independence, which makes me keep some check on myself as far as my finances go.

:)AQ7

starlink

Aquarius7000, I dont have Pluto in my 2nd house, but right now it is transiting my 2nd and probably brings the same issues you mentioned with this position in your natal chart.
Lately I have been very busy thinking and talking about financial situations, others and my own. Of course the whole financial chaos in the world has lead to this. I had invested some money I inherited and all went down the drain, hopefully climbing up again in about 2 to 3 years (the UBS, infamous by now, had suggested this investment to me b.t.w!).

All of a sudden my pension fund money was paid out, which really surprised me. I had not expected this in another 2 years. Now I am completely insecure on how to invest it of course after my first debacle. I would just like to put it all under my mattrass:). I feel very vulnerable and really not happy about the fact that I just HAVE to invest at least part of it.

Looking at this Pluto, it trines my natal Mercury but inconjuncts exactly natal Saturn who squares my natal Mercury also exactly. Both at 2°. That shows my unrest for sure. Pluto will also first square my Venus (Sun ruler) when he will reach 12° (probably already have it's influence about 5° before that), after which it will trine my Sun at 14° but then square again my Mars at 18°!
And all this from my 2nd house!! Needless to say I am a little bit concerned.
However, Pluto will also sextile Moon at 17° and Jupiter at 23°.

As I have a natal Pluto-Moon square, I dont think the sextile will bring much fortune either. It wont make it worse, but nevertheless.
As a native of Taurus, it is clear that I am always a bit concerned about my finances and dont want my bankamount to go under a certain number.
Oh well, I cant do anything about it anyways, so better just go with the flow! I have learned to let go of a lot of things in my life and will do it again I suppose:)

Cheers, Starlink

MidnightxPoison

aquarius7000 said:
Intense and transformational Pluto in the Second House of material securities, but also of self-worth and value-systems can induce a deep need for self-reliance and self-sufficiency, which could lead to a certain obsession with one's possessions.

I have Pluto in my 2nd House and yes, I'm kinda obsessed about my possessions. It's actually quite frustrating sometimes.

The native's self-worth and values might also be connected to his material possessions and/or his ability for acquiring them. He may even use the 'power' of his money to control/manipulate (Pluto) others - askewed value systems (Taurus). Pluto in this house will thus call for the native to reconsider and transform his values, reorganise his finances, and thereby regenerate his own self in connection with these issues.

I've always considered my possessions something that express who I am, something that defines me, sort of like an artist's painting would tell something about the artist.. if that makes sense. But I realize that this can also lead to being obsessed about control over these things and that's not good. Though I also know that Pluto in the 2nd House should make you very ambitious and quite successful in finances.

Pluto being connected to the past (and past lives, if you believe in them) could also reflect deep, hidden fears connected to the second-house matters/finances or actually loss thereof, which have to do with a karmic debt, the burden of which comes from the native's past.

Hmm. Interesting. Never knew about that. Could this indicate a past life of poverty or something?

Pluto also being a planet of extremes can make the native experience periods of extreme highs and lows in regard to finances. The same again could be the case with things of deep value to the native (like very personal/valuable friendships, talents..), the native's value systems and even his own self-worth.

As for self-worth I've noticed that sometimes I can be a total spender/carless with the money I receive and yet another time I can be the opposite.
Also, sometimes it seems like "business" is going well for me because I feel motivated and ambitious but then it doesn't last or I just become lazy or something like that and everything goes downhill.. so I nervously hold on to the last broken pieces.

Personally, with this constellation in my chart, I have always strived extreme self-reliance in personal finances, in fact quite early in life (even without a real need to earn my own dough); and yes, there is a certain fear attached to losing it or rather becoming financially dependent (I also have Pluto in a tight square to Moon-also connected with financial security), which luckily I can keep under control. Another thing, I have gone through periods of big money splashes, like literally throwing money down the drain (as an Aqua, I am not very good with personal finances); and I, thus, am sometimes even thankful for that fear connected with losing my financial security/independence, which makes me keep some check on myself as far as my finances go.

I've always hated the thought of being financially dependant on someone so I like the idea of being self-employed.

Despite the some karmic difficulties and other stuff that comes along with this aspect I am quite satisfied to have a little Pluto influence here. :) At least I know I have the ambition.. if only I stopped being so lazy. :eek:

danman85

I have Pluto in my second house, but I think it has affected me more internally rather than with my finances, which were never really that great.....but I used to have really low self-esteem. I say that now, but up until a few years ago, not thinking much of myself wasn't even something that I was aware of. That was just how I lived my life. I would judge myself based off people who didn't like me, and then try to change myself to be like them...to get them to like me...All very unconsciously though. It really affected me, I had no sense of self, and never could make close friends, or generally relate to people, either, and those were my wishes when I was young. The past year or two, I have been becoming very aware of it (with the help of astrology, actually), but then I have been starting to not just be aware of it, but actually CHANGE it...because I have to really, I was getting to the point where I was "failing at life" at everything because I didn't even think enough of myself to keep my life going. But I will say that since I have been becoming aware of my own self (literally, I lived kind of in a huge fog for my first 20 years, not really thinking about things, or consciously pondering over things), since I totally judged myself from others, great opportunities have been happening, I am meeting people who are better suited to my company, and I am just generally feeling good and aware about life. I really have felt the effects of Pluto over the past few years.

I have Pluto trine Venus, and sextile to Neptune (with Venus opposite Neptune, like half of a kite), so I think I felt it more with my relationships with others...namely totally judging myself from other people's views...It was really a huge identity crisis, since I know so many people, and have moved many times in my life...

And it's very slow. It's not fast at all, and that is what Pluto is really about. Everything I just typed came very slowly. I actually became aware that I had damagingly low self-esteem about 2 years ago, and I just had to deal with that little fact. But it's not until the past few weeks (literally) that I have been actually taking steps to change that, and noticing very small changes. Over those two years, I slowly started to become more aware of how I attatched myself immaturely to other people, and how I just generally knew people that really aren't great for me. Then I slowly started to realize that I put myself into those situations, and then I had to struggle with wanting to release myself from those situations and thought patterns. And now, lately, I am actually starting to become much more aware of my true inner thoughts and feelings and things like that. I'm experiencing Pluto in a very textbook way (since it has been going direct and retrograde over my natal Neptune, and opposite my natal Venus, and sextile natal Pluto), it's exciting. And I know that I am nowhere near done with this journey, I still have my issues that I am working through slowly with it all. I know Pluto's transformations brings great change, so I am very excited for what the future holds for me!!

...sorry it's so long, but it is!

Last edited:

starlink

After reading the posts of Danman and Midnight, I think I could add something to this thread. As I said, I dont have Pluto in the 2nd, but I do have a Pluto-2nd house connection in a way, because my 2nd house ruler Jupiter is in Scorpio and thus ruled by Pluto.

Things that Danman and Midnight mentioned, I also have. I can be very careful with my money, then spend really much! (like recently actually and that is, I think, maybe also due to Pluto transiting my 2nd.). My natal Jupiter is conjunct my natal Moon (big spending is therefore very likely at certain periods in my life, as is gaining weight!! and loosing it again. I am a real Yoyo).

I also lived most of my life "unconscious" in a way, like Danman and I also did not really recognize that I had low self esteem until much later when other told me why I put up with certain things I should not have to put up with!! Why did I do that? I just used to put myself down for others, and doing things for others made me feel "worthy".

What is remarkable these last two month with that Pluto transiting my 2nd house, I feel very much like "cleaning house", getting rid of my belongings as much as possible, at least all those I dont use anymore or sparsly. I never brought so many cloth and other stuff to the thriftshop as I did and I am still at it. This whole weekend, just throwing things away, making space, feeling so much better.

aries86

I too have pluto in the second house in scorpio - i do feel the need to be independent and self sufficient. i dont really feel insecure about money, i have always been almost delusional about it - perhaps thats pluto trine neptune? i dont worry about it, and money always seems to come when i need it. but yes - i do always want more! I have sun bi quintile pluto- which i would say helps with being more self sufficient, and having that drive to be successful at whatever i do.

I have also read that having Pluto in the second house can indicate being good at fixing things, or creating something where there was nothing. Yes these are all things that i think i am good at, and that i love to do!

Hybrid_soul

I dont have pluto in my 2nd house but it's transiting my 6th house of health and work. I've somewhat felt Pluto's transformation and regeneration in that sector for this year.

aquarius7000

Very interesting contributions; thank you, all.

Reading through the posts here, it is worth noting how Pluto in the 2nd directly affects the native's self-esteem. Is somehow sometimes one's self-esteem determined by one of the external materialistic parameters? Just a point perhaps worth researching.

The second house being all kinds of resources (finances, talents, valuable friends, etc) and Pluto being compulsion, our deepest fears, the need to shed old patterns and evolve- a thorough cleansing of some sort; maybe it is one of the 2nd-house areas that we need to completely start anew in (after all Pluto also means rebirth in a metaphorical sense) like freeing ourselves from some bondages. Pluto is also about truth, so perhaps we need to find out what it is that we truly value, and how do we define our value systems.

Judy Hall says in her book: The Hades Moon, <With this placement of Pluto, we meet our karma in the things we own and the value we place on ourselves. Since this is the house of resources, one of the challenges Pluto throws up may be of losing everything: being stripped naked and thrown out onto the street. We may have to look deeply into just what it is we do value. Is it possessions or inner qualities? Can we find our own inner worth and value?> And I'd just like to add to that last sentence: Can we we find our true own inner worth and value completely disconnected from the materialistic world around ourselves? Do our possessions define us in a way that give us our own identity and value and value systems somehow? I think Pluto will urge us to find the underlying truth here.

Just some thoughts,

Last edited:

danman85

aquarius7000 said:
Very interesting contributions; thank you, all.

Reading through the posts here, it is worth noting how Pluto in the 2nd directly affects the native's self-esteem. Is somehow sometimes one's self-esteem determined by one of the external materialistic parameters? Just a point perhaps worth researching.
I don't think that (in terms of the 2nd house) self-esteem is necessarily determined by external materialistic parameters...but that the external materialistic (posessions) stuff reflect the self esteem in the same pattern...like if someone experiences a boost in self-esteem, and then around that time there is some kind of change in the person's life materially.

Also, a good lot of money or something material we like can make a person feel good for a little while in that way self-esteem does over a longer period of time!! It's like they're related in the sense that self-esteem is like a resource for a person to go out and do the things they want to do, and money, and the ability to control and manage it is a resource that enables someone to get and own things they want in life. They both are sources of support for 1st house actions. A low amount of self-esteem will effect the way a person expresses themself. And a low amount of control over possessions doesn't help anyone to live their life to the fullest either.

It could also explain how some people buy things when they are feeling down in the dumps, replacing the issue of self-worth with a material possession. The issue isn't solved, but escaped, and there's a loss in money as well.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

It could also explain how some people buy things when they are feeling down in the dumps, replacing the issue of self-worth with a material possession. The issue isn't solved, but escaped, and there's a loss in money as well.
Yes, I know what you are saying, and this is what I meant to or wanted to say, when I mentioned earlier that perhaps sometimes self-esteem might be determined by external materialistic parameters.
Though, despite Virgo on my 2nd house, I am not that careful with money (or spending it), yet I remember that in 2005, I really lost it. I had Jupiter going over my 2nd house, where it tapped on Pluto a couple of times, and I went to extremes splasing out money (quite a bit the whole yr through); Jup also squared natal Moon (also connected with finances). I had had a tough break-up that year behind me (tr-Uranus was tightly conjunct natal Venus). That's how close Astrology can get to real life sometimes.

samsum78

Hi Everyone,

Currently pluto is transitting my second house and is opposing my natal jupiter and will aspect it till 2010. The ruler of my second house is Jupiter as well.

I have been facing a lot of problems financially with Pluto entering my second house. and this is being going on for quite some time.

During the last three years I have been able to survive but not save. This has also affected my self esteem. Based on what I have read so far. Pluto is transformational and when transits the second house, depending upon its aspects can get your finances to zero before you start rebuilding again. However how much you lose can also be dependent based on other planetary influences.

Since Pluto moves very slowly, conditions last for a long time before they start rebuilding.

i have pluto in libra in my second house in opposition to the sun... i have experienced up&down financial times i have strong feels of possession, but it is less materialistic possession than knowledge, my dreams is to live in some giant reknown vatican library just to tell :" hey do you see behind me all the books i have read and assimilate, do you see how knowledge can affect physical appearence by giving inner strengh ? It's in me now and i can make this world crumble by putting out some kick *** knowledge!" Maybe it is just because there is problem of self-reliance that i do this...

piscesascendant

Not to bring up a sore subject, but if I'm not mistaken, Pluto was in Sagittarius in the 2nd house on September 11, 2001. "extreme...lows in regard to finances."(World Trade Center)...."native's value systems and even his own self-worth." (the Pentagon, etc.)

Don't mean this to be a "downer", just thought it was an interesting correlation.

samsum78

I agree Pluto's transit in the 2nd house brings extremities in finances but when will you say the transformation starts and when is it over.

Here are some astrological effects.

1. Pluto entering 2nd House.
2. Pluto in 2nd but changing sign.
3. Pluto's Hard Aspect to Natal Planets. (Square, Opposition, Quincunx, Semi- Square etc ..)
4. Pluto's Aspect to Ruler of 2nd House.
5. Pluto's Aspect to Natal Planets (Conjunction, Trine, Sextile, Semisextile etc.)

For Natal charts with Pluto in 2nd I believe timing will be by transit and progressions.

Last edited:

danman85

aquarius7000 said:
Yes, I know what you are saying, and this is what I meant to or wanted to say, when I mentioned earlier that perhaps sometimes self-esteem might be determined by external materialistic parameters.
I see what you are saying, but we are definitely not talking about the same thing. I just meant to say that if someone is feeling a little low, and then uses a material possession (especially a new one) to make themselves feel better, there is no REAL boost in self-esteem. It's almost like a delusion. That person feels a little better with that possession, but those improved feelings are for and because of that object, whereas true self-esteem is tied to no objects but the actual self that "owns" that self-esteem.

I think that is one of the things with Pluto in House 2 (looking at it without considering sign or aspects, ect.). The obsession for possession is covering a self-esteem issue, and the person's own stability is tied up in those possessions, rather than in themselves. So a loss of one, some, many, or all of these possessions isn't damaging the self-esteem, rather that person has nothing to rely on to mask the self-esteem issue and now has to face it. In fact I would go as far as to say (this is pure assumption on my part) that someone with this placement, with all the self-esteem in the world, is RICH in some way or another! Not because of the things they own, but how they use them, and the worth that they derive from these things.

This is why I think the two are related to each other, but not one determining the other in any way.

Re: Pluto in the Second House, Aww Self-Value - is the moral of this tale

I too have Pluto in the 2nd house, and I have questioned what this means for me personally. My sister has Pluto in the 2nd house also, and I can compare somewhat how we have both experienced this placement. Pluto in my natal chart is in Libra and sextiles my 4th house Neptune, Pluto also squares my 5th house Venus in Capricorn. I have a cardinal square, involving the relationship oriented sign of Libra and the traditional, authoritative and self-sufficient sign of Capricorn.

Libra is concerned with equality, compromise, and as my natal Pluto also squares it's dispositor - Venus, it is re-emphasizing and bringing relationships into the equation. Any planet in Libra is seeking to balance, I guess in my case resources and finances need to be equal. I can be extremely dependent on my partner, he works as manager (Capricorn) and I do see him as the successful and resourceful one.

The 2nd house deals with resources, what you spend your money on is an indicator of what you value in life, and your whole attitude to the 2nd house describes self-valuation. How dependable you are? How do you handle you resources?. For me I am in debt with loans, I am constantly overdrawn at the bank. I feel I am being forced to face up to my financial responsibilities in the partnership.

My Venus in Capricorn is attracted to security, and defining love and values in relationship. Venus in 5th also involves the relationship with my children, creativity, self-expression, hobbies. What I 'create' falls into this difficult aspect.

Venus-Pluto forces you to look at the power-plays in a relationship. The relationship can deepen and strengthen. The relationship can hit a crisis, and is therefore forced to change. A partner can fall ill, or there can be psychological problems, or work issues. The partner may face a crisis which can force change in the Venus-Pluto individual. A partner can die or abandon you, leaving a devastating loss, and you are forced to survive alone. He/she may manipulate you, and this whole process involves values being re-assessed.

Regarding my relationship, I do most of the childcare, and all of the housework. My partner works nights and he brings in the finances, and pays the bills and mortgage. We both do pull our weight, but in different areas of the relationship. I left my job to be a full time mother, and I want more children, but financially this may not be possible for a while. I do prefer to be a stay at home mum, but not sure how long this is possible if resources fall too low. Libra is a sign focused upon equality, and in Pluto how power is being balanced regarding both our resources. Capricorn can place too much responsibility on it's shoulders without delegating and sharing tasks (Libra is skilled at this).

Here is a list of possible events which may occur with Pluto in 2nd house, of course it's the individuals deeper values, which are rooted in these experiences.

Radical change in income

Loss of Job, we are forced in upon our "own" resources, and finding an internal sense of worth, that does not depend on the money we earn

Increased income, which enhances self-worth, and sense of identity (1st)

A change in values (for the above reasons) if you have always valued money, perhaps you will take a lower income for work that is more fulfilling, and place less value on how much you earn. If you have the reverse attitude and don't value money or possessions, you could experience a complete turnaround, and start a new business enterprise and become obsessed with making money.

If money is used to manipulate and control others, a change in values will be forced upon you.

Life lessons exploring how childhood self-esteem and security have formed your valued systems today, and why the pound, dollar or euro, is reflecting, compensating, or replacing your own self worth and value.

What lengths do you go to to achieve money or status, and how do you feel about other peoples wealth? Jealous feelings can result in an individual who manipulates or steals other peoples possessions. The criminal and ruthless individual would fall into this category.

Loans, debts, and generally crisis in finances will force us to face some of these issues. Possessions may be taken by force from us, bailiffs, money lenders, or burglars.

Currently I am awaiting a decision on a loan, can't see nothing too significant in my transits, transiting Uranus is on the cusp on my 8th house and is sextiled to Venus (fingers crossed). I hate being in debt, I was forced to financially survive alone for two years, on my own, with barely no income. I count myself lucky that I had no children to feed at this time. As others have said the root to the 2nd house is self-value.

Last edited:

GEMINI78

I have Pluto and True Node in Libra in the 2nd house.

The issue is about self worth. Prove to yourself you are worthy of financial independence, of having the good things in life.Great resourcefulness by insight or by obtaining inside information. Stewardship, acquisitions for thebenefit of self and others. Swing between co-dependent and independent.

Learn how to make your own money. Try to hang onto some of it and keep your financial affairs straight.
Make the most of your inherited talents. Develop a firm set of values that you can call your own.
You are learning to create your own security and wealth, rather than rely on your partner's money or what you may have inherited. You have learned in the past that depending on others can result in debt or in burdensome responsibilities or guilt imposed by someone older. As you become established in your own success as to what you can build for yourself, you will find that your self-confidence increases and your Solar Plexus Chakra opens.

Last edited:

Psychotik

Interesting thread.

I have pluto, saturn and mars in the second. (Which I dont think is a good omen).

There have been many times that I have been literally stripped of everything I own. Be this cherished relationships, friends, security etc. As for money - I've never really had much of it - but I've never been thrown out on the streets either (I am in debt though). Things can get quite crazy in my world. There have been MANY times when I've had to start from scratch again - but like I said this is normally in terms of personal values rather than money

Here is a chart with Pluto in the 2nd house: Debra Greenlaw

American homicide victim, a pretty girl until wasted by drugs and prostitution to support her habit, who was one of nine women believed to be victims of a serial killer.

Debra first smoked marijuana at 14. She ran away from home repeatedly, blaming her step dad for her problems. She was an unwed mother at 20 with daughter Chandra, and at 22, she married Ken DeMello, 2/1975. Their son Justin was born in 1980, and around 1985, she had a daughter, Danielle, (who now lives with kin).

Debra was sentenced to a jail term in 8/1987 for prostitution and drugs. While there, she finished high school. On 6/18/1988, she escaped from jail and was last seen in Bedford. On or about 7/04/1988 she had her fateful meeting with the person who killed her near New Bedford, MA. Her body was found four months later and the crime was never solved. Her mom tried to save her and is now raising her two kids, actively keeping the case alive, demanding that the killer be found.

This is the worst case scenario, selling sex for money. Obviously a lot of self worth issues (2nd) Venus is the natural ruler of the 2nd and is in wide square to Saturn in Libra 4th house. The Sun conjunct Pluto in Leo is EXACT. Pluto is conjunct the 3rd house cusp. Since it was a drug habit controlling her, we can see why she had the compulsive (Pluto) need to make money. How would astrologers describe her life lessons?

Last edited: