How Well Do Solar Return Charts Predict Specific Events?

Arian Maverick

Hello, everyone! :smile:

I've studied my solar return chart for several years now, and I'm disappointed to say that I've never derived much useful information from it. Even in retrospect, the configuration of the planets rarely describes the general tone of the year. Perhaps I am simply not adept at reading these charts.

I also wish to ask: How well do solar return charts predict specific events? Does the house position of the Sun indicate the emphasis of the year? If the Sun is in the twelfth house and there are no planets in the tenth house, for example, is it certain that one will be hidden away and gain no recognition? If the ruler of the Midheaven is located in the sixth house, will one be relegated menial tasks? If one knows there will be opportunities for promotion or recognition in the upcoming year, will the configuration of the planets in the solar return chart hinder one's efforts for such?

Arian Maverick

yelena234

Hi Arian,

I will try to explain my Solar for 2002/03:

2h866aq.gif

First the SR Chart.

yelena234

My SR AC falls in 8th Natal house (I have read it is not good house for SR AC). It was good and bad year.
Ruler of my SR is Mercury in 12th. Sometimes I felt lonely but no too much.
Here is very important 1st house and planets in the 1st:
Venus in exact conjunction with AC: I came in contact with my great love after 29 years.
I had Venus in conjunction with AC, when I first met him. Venus here means that I felt in love with him again. Venus has square with Uranus: on the end of SR came to the break between us. What is true here: he wanted to see me right away but I said NO! I had pains and in such a situation I can't be with anybody. After that we wrote many mails, letters and talked over phone, hours and hours.
Mars in 1st: I had small accident middle on the street, felt down and broke my frontal tooth (half). Teeth are Saturn (in the 1st). It was bad because my dentist was first sick and after she had a holiday. I had to wait 2 to have a right tooth.
2nd house is the money: Jupiter is the ruler of my 7th in 2nd. My friend has sent me money. Jupiter means enough money. Jupiter means also foreigner, what he is. Pluto in 7th (ruler of my Natal 2nd) means again: money came from the partner. Pluto in 7th in hard aspects with planets in the 1st meant: end of relationship. It was. Planets in the 1st: it was my fault of decision.
We have talked hours and hours more than 4 months: ruler of 3rd, the Moon in trine with Jupiter (him).
In normal case Sun and the Moon mean some change. Not here, but the Moon felt in my Natal 2nd house (money) and Sun felt in my Natal 7th house (partnership). Sun in SR here means that he left to abroad (in February) and after that I felt lonely.

Maybe I am not good in explanation from this SR, but I can explain many of other SR.

Y.

astropsychologist

Arian, I'm a bit skeptical about solar returns myself. The only thing I have ever found to be consistent about them is that wherever the sun, or any stelliums are found tends to be where you focus you energy that year. And any planets on the Asc/Dsc i have found tend to be important issues during the year. But apart from that I haven't noticed much else that gives me faith in this method, so I just use mine to get a flavour of the year ahead.

Vista

Arian, I'm a bit skeptical about solar returns myself. The only thing I have ever found to be consistent about them is that wherever the sun, or any stelliums are found tends to be where you focus you energy that year. And any planets on the Asc/Dsc i have found tend to be important issues during the year. But apart from that I haven't noticed much else that gives me faith in this method, so I just use mine to get a flavour of the year ahead.

In general I would have to agree with you, however, last year I lost my job and in my SR chart Uranus was in the 10th opposing Saturn in the 4th. It was very sudden(Uranus) by someone older in authority(Saturn).This year, Saturn is in my second house, and this does indeed reflect my current financial situation as I have been unemployed for a year now.

gemini59

I have been working with them for some time. The key to prediction using a solar return is to see a repeat theme echoed at least three times and a repeating theme in progressions.
Steps I tend to follow:
Look at chart shape
what is on the angles
What natal house is rising
where is the ruler of the Asc
what is most prominent on either side of the MC either natal or solar
What is happening in the houses the ascendent fortells

My solar return:
My 2nd house is rising thus there is an emphasis on the 2/8 axis
we find the ascendant ruler in the 12 with the ruler of the 12th mars.
It is trined by Pluto in the 8th house of birth death and surgery, transformation.
Remember there is an 2/8th emphasis.
This alone tells me something.

We thought maybe it was a return of a love affair:) but with venus in the 12th this is a clear indication of my health or a loved ones health affected and possibly surgery or some transforming event.
In fact I had two surgerys and my daughter had a surgery this year. :sick:

Most prominent in the chart is the stellium of Jupiter, neptune, chiron and moon in the public house of the 10th. It trines the sun.

My first thought was this was going to be a favorable year but this trine of sun to moon is a repeat energy from my natal where they exist in a square. Thus though this may be a year where I can work through the challenging aspect of the natal square, the trine will not be as positive.

Moon=mother, wife, female, change, public expression of emotions in the 10th.
Jupiter=law, benefits, expansion, education
Neptune=drugs, dissolve
Jupiter rules 8th, moon 3rd of siblings and travel, neptune the 11th, sun rules 4th.

This year my sister and I had to move my mother from our family home due to her health and she was living by herself. We had a massive yard sale and major clean up. Mom gave us quite a few things which was a real benefit to me.

Saturn in the fifth of children tries the venus mars conjunction. Saturn rules the 9th and implies structure, restrictions, set backs. In fact my daughter and I had to go to court due to her grades and an altercation she had at school at the beginning of theyear. I found out she was smoking pot.

Saturn in the 5th plus the stellium in the 10th of jupiter (law) moon (public display) Neptune (deception and drugs) and Chiron (healing) is a repeat theme.
Too we see the sun, home, challenged by saturn (legal constraints) and Uranus ruler of the 10th (unexpected changes/authority). Thus this is three repeat themes.

The north node on the cusp of the 10th tells me it will be a fateful year in regards to my public image. :pouty:

This year too I had several very emotional reactions at work that reflected badly on my reputation. Having gone through a break up and very stressful year (as you can tell) I was trying to hold it together and thus reactions came out sideways.

This theme is clear with mercury in the frist in a critical degree squaring the MC.
Venus ruler of 1st and 6th with mars ruler of 12 of suppression, things hidden, trined by not only pluto of eruptions and saturn of restriction creating in someways a more potent environment for the ease of release of this hidden energy.
Mercury, the third marker, is sextiled by Uranus easing an abrupt reaction in a social atmosphere and really a caution to me about watching my tongue.

Now here I saw some of this in progressions as progressed mercury has moved retrograde to conjoin Uranus in the 5th house. The sun has progressed to the midpoint of venus/mars and Uranus and progressed moon entered the 5th house.:unsure:

Now I can look back in hindsignt and see all this connected but at the beginning of the year could not. Now some of it is Uranus is closely intertwined with a lot of the planets indicating the unexpected.
But I had a clear warning of some things coming and the potential for the year.
Hope this ehelps.

Attachments

• solarreturn2009.gif
    solarreturn2009.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 55

Vista

I have been working with them for some time. The key to prediction using a solar return is to see a repeat theme echoed at least three times and a repeating theme in progressions.
Steps I tend to follow:
Look at chart shape
what is on the angles
What natal house is rising
where is the ruler of the Asc
what is most prominent on either side of the MC either natal or solar
What is happening in the houses the ascendent fortells

My solar return:
My 2nd house is rising thus there is an emphasis on the 2/8 axis
we find the ascendant ruler in the 12 with the ruler of the 12th mars.
It is trined by Pluto in the 8th house of birth death and surgery, transformation.
Remember there is an 2/8th emphasis.
This alone tells me something.

We thought maybe it was a return of a love affair:) but with venus in the 12th this is a clear indication of my health or a loved ones health affected and possibly surgery or some transforming event.
In fact I had two surgerys and my daughter had a surgery this year. :sick:

Most prominent in the chart is the stellium of Jupiter, neptune, chiron and moon in the public house of the 10th. It trines the sun.

My first thought was this was going to be a favorable year but this trine of sun to moon is a repeat energy from my natal where they exist in a square. Thus though this may be a year where I can work through the challenging aspect of the natal square, the trine will not be as positive.

Moon=mother, wife, female, change, public expression of emotions in the 10th.
Jupiter=law, benefits, expansion, education
Neptune=drugs, dissolve
Jupiter rules 8th, moon 3rd of siblings and travel, neptune the 11th, sun rules 4th.
This year my sister and I had to move my mother from our family home due to her health and she was living by herself. We had a massive yard sale and major clean up. Mom gave us quite a few things which was a real benefit to me.

Saturn in the fifth of children tries the venus mars conjunction. Saturn rules the 9th and implies structure, restrictions, set backs. In fact my daughter and I had to go to court due to her grades and an altercation she had at school at the beginning of theyear. I found out she was smoking pot.

Saturn in the 5th plus the stellium in the 10th of jupiter (law) moon (public display) Neptune (deception and drugs) and Chiron (healing) is a repeat theme.
Too we see the sun, home, challenged by saturn (legal constraints) and Uranus ruler of the 10th (unexpected changes/authority). Thus this is three repeat themes.

The north node on the cusp of the 10th tells me it will be a fateful year in regards to my public image. :pouty:

This year too I had several very emotional reactions at work that reflected badly on my reputation. Having gone through a break up and very stressful year (as you can tell) I was trying to hold it together and thus reactions came out sideways.

This theme is clear with mercury in the frist in a critical degree squaring the MC.
Venus ruler of 1st and 6th with mars ruler of 12 of suppression, things hidden, trined by not only pluto of eruptions and saturn of restriction creating in someways a more potent environment for the ease of release of this hidden energy.
Mercury, the third marker, is sextiled by Uranus easing an abrupt reaction in a social atmosphere and really a caution to me about watching my tongue.

Now here I saw some of this in progressions as progressed mercury has moved retrograde to conjoin Uranus in the 5th house. The sun has progressed to the midpoint of venus/mars and Uranus and progressed moon entered the 5th house.:unsure:

Now I can look back in hindsignt and see all this connected but at the beginning of the year could not. Now some of it is Uranus is closely intertwined with a lot of the planets indicating the unexpected.
But I had a clear warning of some things coming and the potential for the year.
Hope this ehelps.

Interesting, albeit a bit confusing. I am going to have to print this out and try and apply it to my N/SR charts.
How wide of an orb do you use for aspects in Solar Return charts?

yelena234

I have studied my SR Charts back and they did work:

First: when my SR Sun was in 7th (like in Natal Chart). With SR Sun there how will be the end depends from SR Sun aspects. With hard aspects the end was bad.

Second: I had SR Venus direct on ASC and that was year of really love. I had it only twice, with the same person. Maybe is that because Venus is the ruler of my 1st, 8th and the Sun.

Third: SR Mars (Mars, ruler of my Natal 7th) was very close to IC (in 4th). In that case I have met some man, who wanted serious relationship.

Fourth: if I had Moon trine Pluto, that SR year was good. I have read it in some book, but don't know what book.

Of course, most important (for me) was, when I had the same SR ASC as Natal ASC.

And so on.....

Y.

yelena234

Here is one of the most stressful Solar Return, I had: SR 2003/04

1. I was betrayed (lost the money) twice: in May in August 2003
2. I was three times in the hospital: twice here (July 2003 and April 2004) and once in Austria (December 2003).
3. It was final end with my ex friend.

Why all that?

SR 2003/04:
hts41h.gif

Maybe will be worse, as many people say: enjoy today because you don't know what will happen tomorrow!

yelena234

I am AC Leo (in Natal 11th), ruler is Sun in 10th, on the top. My Sun is all squared what I explain as I was attacked from all possible sides.
It was bad year not only because of squares (I had worse SR, but better SR year): here is important aspect: Moon square Pluto. I still don't know why those two planets are so important.

First the money: I always look where my Natal Pluto is. Here is in SR 5th, house of Lotto. I have played Lotto over Internet, what means in more countries. May 6th, 2003 I have got mail that have won money and had to pay so and so much money. I did it (in that time had no idea, that there is Internet Scam) and have paid: five times. May 27th was the last payment. I had some more money and have left for me.
After that was aware, how naive I was. There was no winning money at all. As I wrote (April 2003) to my friend about end of relationship, I wrote mail to him again what happened to me. He was angry because of my mail before and mail end of May 2003. As he was far away, he sent money to me in July 2003, when he came home (neighbour country).
In July I have got some strange illness (never before) and was in the bed, 7 days: I didn't eat, didn't drink and have lost 5 kg (to 52 kg). Before that my doctor told me to go to the hospital but I had enough of hospitals. This time i had to go, because was very weak (with anaemia and some kind of injured stomach). There I was five days and told doctor, I am going to Pain Centre because of blockade (pills don't help me).

In August I have lost money again on the same way but in other country: overseas. Nobody knew that except me and the Bank.

In October have started my problems and consequences, them I feel until today.

After all I was in the hospital twice: because of research of my pains and one other reason.

Gwenyhfair

In my case SR show much more than progression. For the past years and also for some years ahead I´m in the unbelievable state of no major transits from outer planets to personal. With this I mean :trine::square::conjunct::opposition: from saturn, pluto, uranus and neptune.

I´ll have some sextiles and semisextiles. I count them in but they are different.

So to the solars here´s what I want to tell.

Sun venus conj in solar 7 house, also the natal 7th: A strong romance
Sun in 4th house - move, focus on home
Stellium in solar first,including pluto (natal chart ruler): focus on self, psychology, healing, transformation
SR chart ruler moon in 7th house opposed by SR mars in first: emotionally hard break from long time partner. The separation process started previous year, and that SR chart also had mars-moon opposition in seventh -first. That year saturn rising conj the Desc.
Another year solar saturn in seventh: relationship not moving forward despite much love and chances.
Jupiter at SR MC and in natal too the same year. I decided to get my best job.

These are just fragments. For me there is always hard times in love when mars and moon are opposite (as they are on my progressive chart now). I have mars square venus natally. And two hard years with my ex this same figure was in the solar too.

yelena234

Pluto from 5th has trine with me and square to the Moon in 8th: I gave money to some other people. Pluto from 5th opposition Saturn in 11th: money went to some group of black people.
I remember how our Astrologer wrote, that Saturn means Gipsies. Here Saturn means black people (from Africa, they live in Europe).

That I was in the hospital shows: Jupiter in 12th.
Jupiter has squares: with Sun (me) and MC.
Jupiter has opposition with Neptune in 6th (natal ruler of 6th) and Mars in 6th (also involved in my health).
SR Moon, ruler of 12th in 8th (house of crisis) has sesquiquadrate with Jupiter in 12th.
How "nice" aspects and all are connected.

What is strange: Venus in good aspect with Jupiter brought me good SR year. This time was nothing good.

I wonder here:
SR ruler of 2nd, Mercury was retrograde;
Natal ruler of 2nd, Pluto was retrograde.
Funny: from all planets only those two planets were R.

Y.

p.s. Very stupid, but it is true story!

Last edited:

yelena234

I feel here, like I came from other planet.

In one other Forum, I have explained my few Solar Return's with the Sun in 7th (Sun there has the best position, as my Natal Sun is also in 7th house).
Moderator (female) from the Forum was very satisfied with my explanation. There are not many people, they explain, what happened in their good SR.

I still don't know, where to start, as in those SR's things happened different: in July, August, October and February.

I think that the most important is, in which Natal house falls SR ascendant and where is the Ruler of ASC.

Hkk

Account Closed
I can see from last post by yelena that sr are important. I hope all went well for Yelena In the end. That’s terrible what she went through and not nice when you try and help others thru your own experiences and you don’t get acknowledged for the effort like in this thread. I would’ve acknowledged yelena post. Well, I have acknowledged it but she may not be on here to read it.