Do Houses "Aspect" Each Other

Cosmette

Hi! I was really curious about whether or not houses aspect one another.
I mean, I assume the houses themselves don't aspect other houses- not unless there's a planet in them?

Sorry- this may not make total sense- but I recall someone doing a reading on my chart and they mentioned "Your Mars in 3rd is trine to your Uranus in 7th so you have good interpersonal skills." and it surprised me because it was very accurate! I had always wondered/assumed it was possible, but don't know how to interpret it. I've studied charts up and down but never learned how to do that before.

Could someone explain this? How do you learn to interpret planet/house aspects to other planets/houses?

IleneK

Premium Member
Hi! I was really curious about whether or not houses aspect one another.
I mean, I assume the houses themselves don't aspect other houses- not unless there's a planet in them?

Sorry- this may not make total sense- but I recall someone doing a reading on my chart and they mentioned "Your Mars in 3rd is trine to your Uranus in 7th so you have good interpersonal skills." and it surprised me because it was very accurate! I had always wondered/assumed it was possible, but don't know how to interpret it. I've studied charts up and down but never learned how to do that before.

Could someone explain this? How do you learn to interpret planet/house aspects to other planets/houses?

The actors in modern astrology are the planets. As they move they aspect one another.
The houses are the arenas of life in which the planets act or have influence. They are really not conceived of as aspecting each other.

You learn to interpret planets in houses aspecting other planets by starting with basics of learning the symbolism of the planets and then the symbolism or arena of life that the houses represent. Then begin piecing them together.
Also you can learn by putting up charts of people you know, with their permission, and then observe their lives and see the natal planetary aspects in the houses that correspond to the those events.
It takes a lot of time and a lot of slow and thorough study.

Last edited:

wan

As far as I know, only planets can aspect something else, because they are solid, real, physical entities. Houses and their cusps don't aspect anything because they are not real, physical entities.

The only possible exception is the ascendant.

IleneK

Premium Member
As far as I know, only planets can aspect something else, because they are solid, real, physical entities. Houses and their cusps don't aspect anything because they are not real, physical entities.

The only possible exception is the ascendant.

The ascendant, lunar nodes, part of fortune and other parts, are all points. So they do not apply to aspect anything. They can receive an aspect from a planetary body, like a house cusp can receive an aspect. But they do not actively aspect other bodies.

wan

The ascendant, lunar nodes, part of fortune and other parts, are all points. So they do not apply to aspect anything. They can receive an aspect from a planetary body, like a house cusp can receive an aspect. But they do not actively aspect other bodies.

That's what I thought too, thanks for the confirmation.

Osamenor

Staff member
I think we've got some different ways of looking at aspects here. Where aspects really show up is when planets are making them. Houses are the silent partners in the aspect.

But the way the themes of houses interact with the themes of other houses does reflect the kind of aspect they would make, by virtue of how many house apart they are. Four houses apart, houses in trine, have common themes that support each other.

Houses in opposition have complementary, though opposite, themes: each house represents an opposite end of the same continuum. Self in the first house, others in the seventh. Home and family in the fourth, public visibility and career in the tenth. Short trips and small details in the third house, long journeys and big picture in the ninth. Etcetera.

Houses in sextile support each other, though without such a clear shared theme as houses in trine. For example, acquiring money and property in the second house supports home and family in the fourth, supports taking care of daily living details in the sixth.

Houses in square have very different themes from each other. Their contrasts are probably the sharpest.

And although this doesn't match a traditional aspect, adjacent houses have some overlap between their themes. Each house builds on the work of the previous one. Each house feeds into the next one.