First thing you look at in birthcharts

noouraz2

Hello all.

I've read a few books about astrology and reading birth-charts
I understand many things but I always wonder what to look at when I start analyzing birth charts??? I don't know !!! :sad:

katydid

Hello all.

I understand many things but I always wonder what to look at when I start analyzing birth charts??? I don't know !!! :sad:

The main thing is to get a regular routine that you do each time so you don't overlook major things. And also, so you can learn by comparing and contrasting.

I prefer to go from LARGE to small. So start with big, over view things.

I usually look at the chart type first. Is it a bundle, a see-saw, a locomotive. StaRT by assessing the basic chart type and that will tell you a lot to just to begin with and keep in mind overall.

Then look at the table of elements and modes. See if the native has a balance or is strongly water or earth, no fire or air. See if the modes are balanced or if there is a dominance of fixed or a lack of mutable, etc. And make note of the basic count.

Once you have the big picture, then look at the major configurations. If there is a grand square or grand trine or a yod, staRT there. Look at the overall meaning of the major configurations.

Then, once you understand the chart type and basic elemental/mode count and major aspects, then you can go into the finer details and they will be in context of the overall personality. If you have noted that the native has a See-Saw pattern, has mostly Fire/Air, and no Earth,and has many oppositions, but no trines---then you have a back drop of information, before you have even begun looking at the individual planets.

So start with the Ascendant, look at the chart ruler, aspects it makes, where it is placed. And then go through each house, looking at planets placed within and house rulerships.

By then, you will have covered all of the basic info.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hello all.

I understand many things

but I always wonder what to look at when I start analyzing birth charts???

I don't know !!!
:sad:
THE BASICS :smile:

A PLANET acts

A HOUSE shows the area of life
in which the planet acts

as well as
how strongly the planet can act

houses-labeled.gif

and furthermore
the
quality of the planet's expression
is influenced by the SIGN location of the PLANET

JUPITERASC

the analogy of a 'performance' or 'play' is useful :smile:

we have 12 basic 'backdrops' to the theatre or movie of a natal chart
Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces

wheel-layers-3d.jpg

and then

Each of those 12 'backdrops' - dependent on time of birth -
is pinned as an individual 'background or cusp'
on each of the 12 basic 'scenes' aka 'houses'

houses-labeled.gif

1. Birth/Self/Appearance/Vitality/Strength

2. Resources, material comforts, earnings
and all issues concerning wealth or of a financial nature
including the manner of attaining wealth, personal goods and belongings,
assets, income, gain, money lent to others, profit (or loss when afflicted),
support and assistance from others. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h2.html

3 Brothers and sisters, cousins or general members of the family
(not parents, they belong to the 4th scene aka house).
Neighbors and local neighborhood. The environment in which we live and work.
Short journeys or those made on a regular basis.
Letters, rumors, reports, messages and messengers.
Communications generally. Newspapers, magazines, telephones, postal service.
Written deeds and contracts. Speeches and debates.
Our ability to express ourselves and communicate to others.
Languages, mobility skills and self-expression http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h3.html

and so on..........

....each 'scene' aka 'house' features planets as 'actors' within any one of the 12 basic 'scenes' or 'houses'
'performing' before the 'backdrop' of the 12 'signs'

for example
Venus and Jupiter are in general thought of as the 'good guys'
Mars and Saturn are traditionally the 'villains of the piece'
Mercury can be the 'dodgy geezer', sometimes good sometimes not so good dependent on the company Mercury keeps :smile:

Scenes often 'merge'
taking into account that planets in each others houses influence the 'script'

and then
we have our "travelling players"
aka transiting planets
putting in temporary appearances

for example
transiting MOON is "on the scene" for approximately only 2.5 days
before travelling on to the next venue

MERCURY puts in an appearance "for one week only" then on to the next scene
after nineteen days
VENUS goes to the next stage
SUN sticks around for a month
MARS fifty-seven days
JUPITER a year
SATURN two and a half years

adding layers to the drama
an analysis may be as complex or as basic as one prefers

ashriia

I firstly need to get a feel for the chart. Kind of an intuitive feeling.

If its a chart reading concerning a question. I look for the cause in aspects.
If it's a general overview reading. I look at the ascendant and the ruler of it. Any planets on angles and their aspects. Chart pattern. Hard aspects. conjunctions and signs/houses they are in. Nodes. I love studying the nodes.. lilith too.

I like to work from there.

Sometimes I forget to look at the luminaries tbh. And I rarely if ever pay attention to the elements. Though I really should. But that is kind of how I learned astrology from the -middle. not the beginning.

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Sometimes, things JUMP OUT at me in a chart, so I notice those first. Stelliums, Chart patterns - when all the planets are clustered in three or maybe 4 consecutive houses. Those get my attention first.

Otherwise, I always look first at the angles, the planets on the angles and the rulers of the angles, and the house position of those angular rulers within the chart. Then I look at aspects to the rulers from other planets.

If you look at a chart as a game of CLUE, it becomes easier to follow, I think.

Bit by bit, the 'evidence' starts leading me to other factors.

The angles are most important to start with because they reprsent the momentum of the native, how s/he propels self from one of life to phase to another. It's usually advantageous to have the triplicities aligned on the angles - the energy patterns are consistent. When you find two different triplicities on the angles, you will find the native shifts momentum throughout lifetime - not staying in the same modus operendi, so to speak.

Planets on the angles are extremely important to note - think of them as doorkeeper or bouncer of the angular house - that planet's energy will have a lot to say about how the native carry's out change or forward movement in those quadrants.

Moon's position shows where person feels most at home.
Sun position shows where person feels most him/herself.

Ultimately - there will be a variance of ways that astrologers approach reading a chart, mine is just one of them - but when learning - find the groove that you can follow the easiest and go from there - things generally spell themselves out after that.

Retro

Banned
Look first to ascendant, its ruler and Mars. This tells you the basic drive of the person. Next thing to look at is variable. Good luck!

Kitchy

Banned
Look first to ascendant, its ruler and Mars. This tells you the basic drive of the person. Next thing to look at is variable. Good luck!

Mars Asc relationship is what you find in risk takers - or how they present themselves. Mars Uranus are the ultimate risk takers - Race Car drivers, Mountain Climbers - any kind of physical combat with man or nature is how Mars in 1st will present - but the drive and physical drive are different. The demand for risk of Mars usually comes from Sun and Mars relationship. - because Mars' action supports the Sun purpose - The Sun is actually the driving force in any chart - it is the self - the id, the super id, the super ego. and Mars is the carrier-out of the identity in a chart.

The sun and moon positions are often filtered by their relationship to Asc, and especially when in the 1st house - so 1st house planets and influences are always good to look at initially in the chart.

What is this person's driving force? What makes them tick? What are their 'problems'?

I suppose if anyone is the most practical of learners - of which I am - you might actually look at the chart as a slice of pizza - 12 cuts - cut crooked and the toppings are spread around haphazardly.

Look at the pieces that attract you the most and then dive in. That's very much a Mars action for astrologers.

fifteen

Nice, I've been looking at my own chart for about, oh, 10 years. I still discover things I didn't know. Summing stuff up is easy, but interpreting it and connecting the dots is quite different, and that's why it's an art in some sense. But I guess that's astrology, there is so much to learn.

Imperial1922

The first thing I look at is my Mars sign, despite it being in pisces, i do have alot of drive and stamina, my aspects are

Square pluto (exact)
Sextile saturn (tight)
Trine moon (tight)
Opposite AS
Square MC
Square Chiron

Dunno if these mars aspects are the cause of such ambition. Everyone has always told me I am tempermental, but very patient and determined. My girlfriend says im very sexual and magnetic lol