How did you choose between Western and Vedic?

For those who have only studied in one tradition, this doesn't apply. But for those who have spent serious time on both methods, how did you choose the method that you practice now?

dr. farr

I learned Western (tropical) originally, and only much later began a study of Vedic; I have stuck with Western tropical, although I have borrowed much regarding definitions, affinities and especially technique, from Vedic.

Rawiri

I started with traditional western astrology (as taught by Zoller and classical authors) and due to a spurious reason decided to dip my toe into Jyotish and accidentally fell in.

But I did not choose one or the other and utilize ideas from both (as well as some other "systems" in fact, which I keep adding to as I learn and experiment more!)

I think you'll probably find there is value in both...in most respects they are actually remarkably similar (which is reasonable since I'd say they share a common route, although there are sub-sects which may not share that root as closely but as far as "zodiacal astrology" is concerned they share some root).

But I think all the "systems" we have are perhaps a bit of a fragmented form and so there's value in both. For example, the Indian systems do not really utilize parts/lots (except maybe in solar returns, which are themselves a well recognized remnant of "Western/Persian" astrology in India from the times of invasion referred to as Tajika. Even then I rarely see them used in practice) or primary directions. This I think is a deficiency as they are highly valuable as anyone who has used them can attest.

The west on the other hand, does not utilize the various divisional charts, or have a knowledge of certain "yogas" used in Indian astrology currently - a deficiency in their systems as far as I'm concerned. Although modern western astrology approaches that with their harmonic charts.

Those are just examples, but there are others.

So personally, I did not choose. They all have some value to give (I include modern western astrology, traditional western astrology throughout its different time periods, the different Chinese systems, Mayan astrology and various other purely mathematical predictions and cycles that I currently explore a bit)

It is to peoples detriment only, IMO, to stick to learning only one system. Especially since astrology as it stands is woefully fragmented and "incomplete" in its understanding. There is no need to "choose ye do this day who you shall serve."

(Of course, things have to be taken within the constraints of your time and the interested purposes you have in mind)

Last edited:

AppLeo

Both are pretty awesome. I can't really choose one.

When I learned that my Moon was in Magha Nakshatra pada 3... I felt like my soul was being understood for the first time in my life.

But my Moon in Virgo in Western also makes sense.

Both of them work and explain different things amazingly.

However, I lean towards modern because it's easier to understand and more common to talk about among average people and average astrologers.

Thanks for the responses...

There is one main difference that I'm finding so far between W. and Vedic, at least when I try reading charts. My impulse with Western has been to find one dominant theme or "story" for a person in the natal chart and to center everything I do on that. Almost like reading clues to tell one big story. Trying to do this in Vedic, I think, doesn't really work. It's almost like the chart comes "encrypted" and you use yogas as the key. So there is much less information upfront to be contained in the pure distributions of planets and critical points in signs and houses. You need to unlock the chart first.

Does this sound right?

The west on the other hand, does not utilize the various divisional charts, or have a knowledge of certain "yogas" used in Indian astrology currently - a deficiency in their systems as far as I'm concerned. Although modern western astrology approaches that with their harmonic charts.

(Of course, things have to be taken within the constraints of your time and the interested purposes you have in mind)

There is one Western astrologer who has been trying to statistically "prove" astrology (once and for all!) using harmonic charts. Meanwhile these charts have been used continuously in India for thousands of years. Just another point of miscommunication.