Could someone help me to understand my Grand Trine please?

Teacake

I don't ascribe any qualities to Chiron. But if I did...

Its orbit is located between Saturn and Uranus. It comes barely inside Saturn's path, then barely outside Uranus'. So, it connects the conventional with the outre. We could check to see in which direction our flying spud was headed (toward IN or toward OUT) and refine our interpretation.

I haven't thought about Chiron all that much, so let's use Pluto instead. You can apply the same ideas to Chiron.

When Pluto was in Scorpio, back in the 80s & 90s, it was inside the orbit of Neptune, where it spends about 20 years during each of its 248 year cycles; the rest of the time Pluto is in "deep space", outside Neptune's orbit. Pluto is currently "outbound", a solitary pilgrim traveling into the dark unknown.

So Pluto takes us "beyond"...it symbolizes "Transcendence", which is "going beyond". It is "outside the law". He lives in the dark and lonely, solitary...secretive (we can't see Pluto very well).

Pluto is the only planet which passes over each and every degree of the zodiac three times during its passage. He's implacable, thorough-going, relentless.

Get the idea? Jupiter is the biggest planet by far. He rules elephants and whales and my pot belly.

Mercury circles the Sun every 88 days. Mercury is quick and agile, and restless.

Mars is seen in the night sky as a rusty-red body. He rules the color red, all things red...blood, hot iron, me when I'm embarrassed or angry. His orbit lies just outside Earth's; Mars shows how we externalize, deal with the outer world. Venus internalizes, assimilates...internal orbit.

Etc.

Astrology is a man-made art. We take facts and transmute them into symbols. The signs do not exist in reality; we invented them. (Neither do the constellations).

Today Sun opposes Jupiter. So, shortly after sunset, look into the southeast and watch Jupiter for a while. Think about what you see. Be inspired. When Jupiter reaches the western horizon it wii be sunup.

Facing south, Sun will be to your left, Jupiter your right. You can't see them both at the same time...the opposition. One comes up, the other goes down.

Young astrologers, the computer kids, do not know how to erect a horoscope. YEARS AGO, I took a student outside one night and asked her to point out the MC. I think she's still out there looking for it. Learn to erect charts "by hand"; it will teach you so much. And spend some time watching the night sky.

Thanks for the advice. I think with my generation and those after, we are so used to having things at our fingertips and having information available quickly that it can be easy to overlook learning opportunities. I find it fascinating how you describe astrology. I do have a real thirst to learn as much as I can about astrology simply because I really find enjoyment it in. I will definitely have a look into erecting charts by hand and take time to contemplate the night sky. How long have you studied astrology?

greybeard

Thanks for the advice. I think with my generation and those after, we are so used to having things at our fingertips and having information available quickly that it can be easy to overlook learning opportunities. I find it fascinating how you describe astrology. I do have a real thirst to learn as much as I can about astrology simply because I really find enjoyment it in. I will definitely have a look into erecting charts by hand and take time to contemplate the night sky. How long have you studied astrology?
Since June 72.

katydid

I agree with Greybeard. Back in the day we had to do the math ourselves to figure out where the planets and angles were. It took a lot of work and research to even do that.

Then we had to draw up each chart. But doing all of that gave the astrologer a lot of time to ponder the meaning behind that nativity. By the time the client arrived, there were many hours of work put in calculating and putting their chart together, then drawing it up.

That part of it was like a meditation. Even today, if I am doing an in-depth look at a chart, I will draw it up myself, drawing in each aspect, one by one, like a meditation and it helps to piece the specifics into a larger cohesive picture.

Teacake

I agree with Greybeard. Back in the day we had to do the math ourselves to figure out where the planets and angles were. It took a lot of work and research to even do that.

Then we had to draw up each chart. But doing all of that gave the astrologer a lot of time to ponder the meaning behind that nativity. By the time the client arrived, there were many hours of work put in calculating and putting their chart together, then drawing it up.

That part of it was like a meditation. Even today, if I am doing an in-depth look at a chart, I will draw it up myself, drawing in each aspect, one by one, like a meditation and it helps to piece the specifics into a larger cohesive picture.

Hello Katydid,

I hope you are good today my fellow October the 23rder. If I was to try to a erect a chart, where would you recommend I begin?

greybeard

Your first step is time conversion. From the birth time given, you want to obtain the Right Ascension of the Midheaven (expressed as sidereal time), and Universal Time.

With the RAMC you will determine the MC and then, from tables, the Asc (dependent on latitude). The house structure then follows, according to your preferred system.

You now have the orientation of earth to heavens.

Beginning with Moon, who moves swiftly and is never still, we calculate the position of each planet (from the ephemeris) and insert it in its place in the chart. I always check the position of Sun, used as the hour hand of a celestial clock, to avoid gross errors in birth time; developing this as a habit has saved me from many mistakes. I still do it with computer- generated charts, just out of habit.

Voila. The horoscope. Expect your first efforts to take an hour or two of tedious calculation. When you get it down to 15-20 minutes you have arrived.

The Ephemeris
and
Tables of Houses
Are available online.

Continually double-check your work.

Please do not tear your hair out or chew your nails to the nub.

Last edited:

Teacake

Your first step is time conversion. From the birth time given, you want to obtain the Right Ascension of the Midheaven (expressed as sidereal time), and Universal Time.

With the RAMC you will determine the MC and then, from tables, the Asc (dependent on latitude). The house structure then follows, according to your preferred system.

You now have the orientation of earth to heavens.

Beginning with Moon, who moves swiftly and is never still, we calculate the position of each planet (from the ephemeris) and insert it in its place in the chart. I always check the position of Sun, used as the hour hand of a celestial clock, to avoid gross errors in birth time; developing this as a habit has saved me from many mistakes. I still do it with computer- generated charts, just out of habit.

Voila. The horoscope. Expect your first efforts to take an hour or two of tedious calculation. When you get it down to 15-20 minutes you have arrived.

The Ephemeris
and
Tables of Houses
Are available online.

Continually double-check your work.

Please do not tear your hair out or chew your nails to the nub.

Thanks Greybeard, as soon as I have some spare time I want to have a go. :smile: