House system for scandinavia

StillOne

It will most likely yield some rather large houses. Why not experiment? Some members here use Whole Sign, Equal, and Koch to name a few...

dr. farr

I would also recommend either Whole Sign or equal house; however, if you desire to stick with a quadrant system, use the topocentric system (which is a variant of Placidus specially designed for high latitudes)

tautomer

In my opinion, I feel Placidus is the most valid house system. Yes at high north and south latitudes extremely midhaven tilts can occur (take this hypothetical chart for example), but it is what it is. It can actually result in some rather fascinating charts IMO. If one were to use whole signs for my chart for example, it would shift nearly all my planets into another house, and it renders my chart terribly inaccurate in the process.

Just go with what works for you. :)

Peregrine_Moon

I'm in Canada. Charts for people north of the 49th° parallel can be widely distorted, depending a variety of factors.

My daughter was born in Vancouver, which, at 49° 16' N latitude isn't as far north as many Canadian cities. In the Placidus system, her 6th and 12th houses are 53° wide. In Koch, her 5th and 11th are 47°. Regiomontanus is 51° and Campanus is 72° for the 6th/12th.

My sons were born near Toronto, which is considerably south at 43° N latitude. The one who was born in October has two houses that are 45° wide in Placidus. His brother, born in September, has no significant distortion, however.

The childrens' father was born in April in northern Manitoba, at 55° N latitude. His largest houses are only 42° wide.

Placidus can work for natal charts, but transits may be wildly disturbed. After all, it would take Pluto five years or more to transit one of my daughter's wide houses in the Placidus system, compared to Koch.

Equal houses seems to give the best results overall.

StillOne

Yes at high north and south latitudes extremely midhaven tilts can occur (take this hypothetical chart for example), but it is what it is.
Haha that's a crazy chart! I think it brings up a good point, however... Just because you're born at a high latitude, should you potentially have some smaller, or in this case non-existant, houses?

byjove

Account Closed
Is Placidus ok to use for that?

I would agree with most others here - try different systems.

Even from the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland and north from here, other house systems are explored because Placidus starts to warp, seemingly. As our friend above from Canada points out, on the same latittude, the possible very large houses.

I've personally always had trouble with the idea of 'interception', I have never found a satisfying answer to it and many people I think add their own ideas, which is fine, but not believeable to me - so I would consider other systems, especially Whole Sign, Koch. Hopefully one of the systems will reveal things 'as they are' e.g. a person with a Sun in the 4th house being much quieter than someone with a Sun in the 5th for example. :smile:

Moog

Can anyone recommend a reasonably well known subject with particularly distorted houses under Placidus?

Peregrine_Moon

Attachments

• astro_2gw_59_sean_connery_adb.12665.22531.gif
    astro_2gw_59_sean_connery_adb.12665.22531.gif
    64.7 KB · Views: 41

Larxene

Traditional interpretations of intercepted signs

Hello Paraphernalia~ :smile: (I like that username, btw)

Since this was posted in the traditional forum, can anyone tell me whether the traditional astrologers have interpreted intercepted signs differently than non-interpreted signs?

If I remember correctly, the interception interpretation seems to be a modern invention...so I don't think that Placidus would adversely affect the interpretation~

Although it IS weird to see a house which is only 5 degrees in width :lol:

~Larxene<3~

tsmall

Premium Member
Re: Traditional interpretations of intercepted signs

Hello Paraphernalia~ :smile: (I like that username, btw)

Since this was posted in the traditional forum, can anyone tell me whether the traditional astrologers have interpreted intercepted signs differently than non-interpreted signs?

If I remember correctly, the interception interpretation seems to be a modern invention...so I don't think that Placidus would adversely affect the interpretation~

Although it IS weird to see a house which is only 5 degrees in width :lol:

~Larxene<3~

Interception is not a modern invention. All quadrant based house systems have the potential to give intercepted houses, and most of those systems have been around a very, very long time. Here is a link to a discussion of them on this forum

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91638#post91638

And here is a link from skyscript where Lily uses them

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/wealthlilly.html

sworm09

I'm not sure if this is out of place, being in the Traditional forum, but for Northern latitudes, I use Topocentric houses.

byjove

Account Closed
Re: Traditional interpretations of intercepted signs

Interception is not a modern invention. All quadrant based house systems have the potential to give intercepted houses, and most of those systems have been around a very, very long time. Here is a link to a discussion of them on this forum

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91638#post91638

And here is a link from skyscript where Lily uses them

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/wealthlilly.html

Great points from Laxerne and you on traditional interpretation of interceptions. Do you know of any places I could read about a traditional perspective of interceptions? I've never even considered it ... :surprised:

Humanitarian

It will most likely yield some rather large houses. Why not experiment? Some members here use Whole Sign, Equal, and Koch to name a few...
There are 2 kind of equal house systems, and they're equal AC and equal MC. For me, equal MC house system is more suitable for extreme latitudes because I've checked astrocartography maps, and the AC/DC axis is different depends on latitude, but MC/IC is the same regardless of latitude, so when latitude changes, is the AC/DC axis that tilts, not the MC/IC axis. But Equal AC is still a good system for extreme latitudinal charts because if equal MC doesn't click to any person that was born in extreme latitudes, use Equal AC or topocentric is better than the equal MC system

Humanitarian

In my opinion, I feel Placidus is the most valid house system. Yes at high north and south latitudes extremely midhaven tilts can occur (take this hypothetical chart for example), but it is what it is. It can actually result in some rather fascinating charts IMO. If one were to use whole signs for my chart for example, it would shift nearly all my planets into another house, and it renders my chart terribly inaccurate in the process.

Just go with what works for you. :)
It's not really the MC/IC axis that tilts, but it's actually the AC/DC axis that tilts, because MC/IC axis is STABLE regardless of latitude, while AC/DC axis isn't stable at all