Facebook

Nathan

This thread was inspired by a thread I started in: Introduce Yourself. The subject matter was the mundane event chart for Facebook. I thought it would be nice to bring that dialogue into to the Mundane Astrology section.

A couple of interesting articles were mentioned w/r/t the numbers and history of Facebook. I will make them available here in following posts.

Here is just the Facebook chart. It is a sunrise chart of the official launch date.

I will basically just keep adding thoughts and reflections and I hope that others follow suit :)

Attachments

• Facebook.gif
    Facebook.gif
    51 KB · Views: 66

Nathan

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...cebook/257342/

This article gives attention to the subtle yet immense change the internet has gone through since 2004 or since the advent of Facebook. #digitialvertigo by Andrew Keen is a great elaboration on the more worrisome matters.

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Vertigo.../dp/B00BCUTV7K

A chart for Facebook can be found here:

http://mountainastrologer.com/tma/ma...g-and-facebook

Some of the key themes present here are identity/self and individuality. And yet interestingly these themes are ambiguously in tandem with the dynamics of selflessness and universality. Take for example the Sun conj. Neptune in AQ. And with modern rulerships we could even say that Uranus and Neptune are in mutual reception.

I can think of the "Ice Bucket Challenge" and "#NoMakeupSelfie" as emblematic of the higher expression of these energies. Here the person shines as an individual (Sun) in doing selfless, compassionate acts (Neptune). These are shared moments of vulnerability and disempowerment. There is a subtle selflessness to the otherwise full-of-self spotlight that comes along with posting videos and selfies. I am finding that there is an undercurrent of Neptune like Oneness that characterizes social media. This is sometimes as simple as noticing that Facebook to some extent blurs and dissolves the boundaries between peoples and cultures. If you are connected, your connected. That's all that matters! Doesn't matter if your connected in Canada or Australia.

On the other hand, as we all know, however, working with Pisces and Neptune isn't at all evident. Navigating through the vast cosmic waters of the sign of Pisces or making any real sense out of elusive Neptune images can be nearly impossible. Without a doubt the social media environment has worrisome qualities as Andrew Keen has demonstrated. I do agree with him that the online social revolution has been debilitating to us, but only up to a certain point. Because something notable happened at the very same time that our identity became "disoriented".

First it demanded that we attend to the question of identity in the first place. This gives reflection to something that is otherwise usually instinctual. Secondly, and more importantly, the status of identity changed. Instead of acquiring an identity via an accumulated history of experience with various environments you are now the creator/chooser of your environment online. The success of Linden Lab's "Second Life" is a testament to this change as a concrete example of identity formation. Facebook, though not a harbor of avatars, has striking similarities to the Second Life project. The key difference is that Facebook eliminates the avatar as a medium for identity and instead makes you and your real life the avatar. (Sun conjunct Neptune on ASC?) The distinguishing line between identity and avatar is no longer maintained and we can do away with the avatar altogether. Like the cliche of climbing a ladder and then kicking it out from under yourself when it is no longer needed for the work to be done at the present level, we've all kicked the idea of avatar from under us as we engaged with a "profile". In a weird way this brought the avatar to our lived life (and then is kicked away) and in that sense Facebook does the reverse of Second Life.

We can't forget that the sign that the conjunction takes place in is AQ. AQ is all about breaking down the old and to heralding in the new.

One last thing that seems relevant to this subject matter is the meaning of Uranus in Pisces itself.

Frances Sakoian writes in the Astrologer's Handbook:

"The fundamental motivating factor of Uranus in Pisces is to seek liberation from the mental and emotional influence of the past. There is a spiritual struggle to overcome past materialistic tendencies, combined with a seeking for a higher spiritual identity"

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Astrologers.../dp/006272004X

Nathan

The final dispositor of this chart, using traditional rulerships, is the Moon in Cancer.

The sabian symbol attributed to the degree it is traveling in is here in blue with some interpretation. The larger article can be reached here:

http://www.mindfire.ca/An%20Astrolog...er%2016-30.htm

__________________________________________________ __________

PHASE 114 (CANCER 24°): A WOMAN AND TWO MEN CASTAWAYS ON A SMALL ISLAND OF THE SOUTH SEAS.
KEYNOTE: The focalization of complex inner potentialities in harmonic and concrete relationships.
We are dealing here with a special phase of the process of integration. The woman and the two men represent the three-fold aspect of the human personality, particularly at this stage when one of these aspects — the emotional life (the woman) — is facing the possibility, if not the inevitability, of relating itself to both the spiritual and the mental. This confrontation occurs on a small island of the South Seas, and "south" always refers symbolically to the strong and passionate impulses of human nature. Somehow the three-fold consciousness has to develop a harmonious and well-integrated modus vivendi (a specific way of life). If successful, this will release powerful energies and will lead to the next symbolic scene.
We have reached the fourth stage of the twenty-third five-fold sequence. As is most often the case, we are introduced here to a specific technique — or at least to a problem of technique — in living. The three human beings should become integrated; but the form this integration will take seems left open. It has to be a concrete type of integration in terms of the emotional and biological drives of human nature (an island of the South Seas) and the field of integration is "small." The key to the problem of relationship should be the realization of INTER-DEPENDENCE.

Nathan

When a 9th Harmonic chart is pulled up for the Facebook chart we get interesting results.

Notice the 1st house emphasis which comes back to the idea of identity.
There are many articles on 9th Harmonic energies. However, the best I have come across so far can be located here:

http://www.astrosoftware.com/harmonicfirst32.pdf

A study is done on 9th harmonic, people, if you will. And one observation that was made concerning a thematic found in 9th harmonics is the substitution of friends for family. Also, Saturn (Blockages) in Facebook chart is in Cancer (Family). With the Moon also in this position we must give extra attention to the family situation.

Although there is an interesting "escape" from the family involved with Facebook, just how this is done will ultimately impact the individual for better or worse.

There is a T-square involving Venus, Jupiter and Pluto. Pluto at the apex. The opposite end of this (the missing third leg to the chair) apex falls in the 4th house of Family, and in the sign of Gemini. This points to the fact that the family mustn't be completely neglected (or depreciate in value). We know that the negative sides of a T-square often are traced back to the opposite of the apex's planets location.

Here is a excerpt from the Harmonics article.

The strong friendships and involvement in clubs and social
groups are very common behaviors for the 9th harmonic.
Even his disinclination to narrowly label things is a 9th harmonic tendency. The 9th harmonic inclines towards greater and greater inclusiveness and forming rigid boundaries defeats the need for inclusiveness of the 9th harmonic. We find from this information that de Kooning exhibited many of the positive traits of the 9th harmonic very clearly and conspicuously in his life. The substitution of friends for family is a tendency of the 9th harmonic even when family relationships are not extremely strained because the 9th harmonic seeks a larger community beyond the smaller nuclear family and friends with its tendency towards strong personal expectations and constraints.

cspencer

Banned
I will basically just keep adding thoughts and reflections and I hope that others follow suit :)

What would be the point?

"...there’s obviously a lot of material there to speculate upon...."

Sunrise charts are of no value. There's a Moon/Mars conjunction and Mars is retrograde. There's a Venus/Mars opposition that is retrograde, too.

Venus and Sun are assembled.

Astrology is not about speculation.

If your Face chart has the correct time, then you need to delineate the Moon/Mercury opposition, which is problematic.

craft94

If your Face chart has the correct time, then you need to delineate the Moon/Mercury opposition, which is problematic.
Yeah, it's weird to me that there's no mention of that Moon/Mercury opposition. You would think that would be important. To me, this would suggest a conflict between what we communicate and express using social media and what we really feel. The moon is its home sign of Cancer so maybe, we trade in time with family and close friends for more time on social media. Mercury is in the sign of Capricorn...could this mean we use Facebook as a way to elevate our social status? It makes me think of our obsession with likes, etc. Expressing our true feelings could destroy our reputation and in some cases, even make us lose our jobs, so we need to be very careful about what we post on social media. But this is all just speculation, again, sorry. It interests me though!

I also think too much time spent on social media tends to be bad for our health. It causes us to lose sight of our own basic needs (the moon).

Last edited:

Nathan

I agree and have gained insight with these interpretations. Moreover, it would also seem that the basic need to feel at home (Moon in Cancer) is being blocked* (Saturn also in Cancer) further complicated by that Mercury opposition; social status having taken the place of honest emotional expression, we are alienated from what we communicate (Mercury in the 12th house). The opposition, however, may stimulate objectivity w/r/t our communicative needs/feelings and our communicative obligations/status resulting in a hard earned compromise of the two, even if only to be effectively actualized internally (Moon opposite Mercury T-square Mars).

*meeting our needs of feeling-at-home has been subjected by the internet in general**, but it is also Facebook that becomes the antidote (Moon in Cancer), albeit an ineffective one such that our longing for at-homeness is never actually met (Saturn in Cancer) etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIGwmTocdU