The Greek Error or Return to Babylon

Bryce979

Although I'm currently working on a Modern branch, I also use them, for the same reason.

I struggled for a while, but overtime it just became to accurate. Im looking at other things too like the terms of planets. I didnt know how much they actually change but ive yet to implement it

JUPITERASC

I struggled for a while, but overtime it just became to accurate.

Im looking at other things too like the terms of planets.

I didnt know how much they actually change but ive yet to implement it

Gregory Rozeks Dignities Table
uses the Egyptian Terms

and Dorothean Triplicities

The table is well-designed :smile:

GregoryRozek-astrological-tables-01.png

waybread

This was an interesting article-- unfortunately the poor quality of the type was hard to read.

A few notes:

1. The Gauquelin results are interesting, but only the "Mars effect" really seems to have held up.

2. Ptolemy didn't really use houses. In Tetrabiblos, he mentions only a few of them by name, and uses them for only one technique. He lived in Alexandria, Egypt, in a country where the population was mostly restricted to the Nile valley and delta. This area was not only subject to early morning mists off the Nile, but also to sand and dust storms that, optically, would obscure heavenly bodies close to the horizon than overhead.

3. The Babylonians didn't use houses, although the meaning of planets that have recently "come forth" seems clear enough.

4. I'm not sure if Mme Gauquelin thought of a problem that perplexes me somewhat. In the whole signs house system, if you have a late ascendant yet planets in the same sign above the ascendant, you get planets both above the horizon and in the first house. These planets would push over to the 12th house in a quadrant house system.

It's hard to imagine a bigger difference in traditional astrology between a planet in the 1st house vs. in the 12th house. Part of the difficulty is that we don't really know what house system most of the Hellenistic astrologers used, although indirect evidence points to whole signs as being the most common one.

In modern astrology the 12th house has lost a lot of its dire meanings, and the first house is not singled out as particularly strong, which may be one way to deal with the problem.

Last edited: