Secondary Progressions

Claire19

Liz Greene has some interesting ideas on progressions
http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_transits_e.htm

Personally I think the hard aspects are the only ones worth looking at ie; conj, squares, oppositions. Prog moon and sun to themselves or to venus, mars can suggest marriage, childbirth etc.
Tend to agree with the statement about the challenging aspects, the easy ones can take care of themselves.... but marriage belongs to the 7th house influences plus Venus aspects . Childbirth to the 5th house plus Moon aspects and looking at the 4th house of family as well..

Last edited:

Claire19

Update

After writing the above I realized that fear could be huge in pluto transits. Fear and anger work together.

I have been faced with unreal fear before in my life.

Conclusion. As soon as you fear something, it has power over you.
Nothing has power over me, not even death.

LOL, I am glad not to be a Scorpio. Hey Scorpios, nothing intended toward any of you guys.:)

I am glad to be a Pisces and proud of it.

T

Then there is the saying "feel the fear and do it anyway." That way you have faced it and conquered it.

Some would say Pisces is a difficult one to cope with and the trick of life is to adjust to and manage and use the birthcharts we have....after all we chose them before reincarnating didnt we!!!!:happy:

Claire19

Hey all,

I don't get Secondary Progressions. But before I post my question, let's make sure that I understand Secondary Progressions correctly.

A progressed chart for someone who's 20 is calculated based on a date that is 20 days later than their actual birthdate, right?

OK. If I'm correct, then what's the logic? How does this work? I was born on August 15 so now that I'm 26 I should construct a chart for .. what?.. September 10? That's puts my Sun in Virgo. I'm no Virgo! I do not demonstrate any of its qualities, the better or the lesser. Also, the ASC changes eventually.

I'm confused :?

I know there's a another chart called the Solar Arc, what's that and how's it different?
Remember not to use a progressed chart as a separate entity. It is to be used on and with the natal chart and incorporated into it for the current influences.

The Sun now in Virgo has to aspect planets that are already aspected in the natal chart......we use the birth chart always as the fundamental.
You may or may not feel any effects of the progressed Virgo sun at all.
Some of us dont use solar arc charts. YOu need to get the basic principles learned first otherwise you will just flounder. ONe step at a time. :smile: Remember nothing happens to us or for us that is not promised in our natal chart. THis is the basis of prediction...

It can get very confusing and I would get Astrodienst to do you a chart with progressions and transits for now and then you can look at it and get an idea. For instance I have progressed Sun in Libra and it is not aspecting anything in my natal chart right now and so no effects. It has in the past hit planets and caused some effect. Wont bore you with the details.

Good luck

:smile:

Claire19

Some would say Pisces is a difficult one to cope with and the trick of life is to adjust to and manage and use the birthcharts we have....after all we chose them before reincarnating didnt we!!!!:happy:
I agree that Scorpio and Pluto have great potential for transformation. OVercoming our fears and neuroses gives us great power and once we own them we can manage them and even conquer them. Both these signs deal with death in a major way or passing over to the other dimensions....as there is no real death.

That which we dont own, owns us...

Claire19

my question is what is the difference between progressions and secondary progressions?
Primary progressions are no longer used or very rarely. So when you see Progressions they usually refer to the Secondary Progressions which are the second influences on a natal chart.

http://www.artcharts.com/learn_astrology/progressed.html

If you want to research more into Secondary progressions try here
http://cafeastrology.com/secondaryprogressions.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_progression
http://www.aquamoonlight.co.uk/progressions.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67
http://www.khaldea.com/rudhyar/astroarticles/progressionsinastrology.php
http://astrolmass.com/progressions.htm

solar arcs & secondary progressions
http://www.kepler.edu/videos/0902SolarArc/Stathis_SolarArc_Feb09.pdf

The most important of progressed planets is of course, sun & moon and then upto mars, as the outer planets hardly move by progression. Now like with transits, solar arcs --- it's what these progressed planets are doing NOW by mathematical aspect to your natal planets and Angles that is ultimately important.

Also I would take this opportunity to mention there is a ‘plethora’ of information in every forum top, called 'stickys' which cover, explain in great depth what each forum is all about, plus we have an Education forum for further research..

kannon said on thread…. And I agree http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=349658#post349658

Simultaneous progressed aspects like these are more common than you think. They occur off and on many times over your lifetime.
You can go to astro.com and once you are looking at your progressed chart from the "Extended Chart Selection" click the link right above the chart: _View the additional tables (PDF)_ ... this will open up a pdf document that shows two aspectarians on the second page (progressed): one for progressed to progressed aspects only and the second at the bottom shows progressed to natal aspects.
You will probably notice at least a few of these aspects are very tight (under 0*10') for major events in your life.

I would add to this is, keep the orbs very tight, 1' approaching 1' exact and 1' departing. The aspect grid will show ALL orbs upto whatever ratio you set it....

Claire19

Friends I am also confused about the progressions.
I learned about it couple of days ago.
originally according to Vedic(INDIAN) astrology I am aquarius-jupiter/north node and mars
taurus moon, virgo-saturn, sagi-mercury and sun and venus in capri.
in progression its coming to
ascendant is taurus 3.52d for the progression
aquarius 4 degrees-jupier 28 d, north node 26
pisces- sun 2.37/mercury 8.11/mars 18.34
aries-venus 1.41
gemini-moon 18.33
Virgo-saturn 6.04 virgo

according to my friend who taught me this-my sun and saturn is coming in to clash thats why I lost my dad- where as I felt that since saturn moved into leo on november 2 nd, I lost my dad.
he feels I would do better doing nothing for next 4-5 years. I cannot financially afford it at all and I am 56-if I sit around and do nothing for next 5-6 years whats to be done in retirement?
some one gv me some guidance.
We need your chart. That is silly advice to give by the way... To do nothing. When you reach 58 you will have major issues to deal with, it will be your second Saturn return and what you have reaped, you will sow, even if it is karmic and from the past. Other than that I cant comment without a visual chart..

Claire19

kannon said on thread…. And I agree http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=349658#post349658

I would add to this is, keep the orbs very tight, 1' approaching 1' exact and 1' departing. The aspect grid will show ALL orbs upto whatever ratio you set it....
I think that with the outer planets we can use maybe 2 degrees coming and going....The issues of orbs is always debated and it is up to us to feel them for ourselves, I guess. BUt I agree no more than 3 degrees for sure..

Claire19

Liz Greene has some interesting ideas on progressions

Personally I think the hard aspects are the only ones worth looking at ie; conj, squares, oppositions. Prog moon and sun to themselves or to venus, mars can suggest marriage, childbirth etc.
I think the challenging ones have to be dealt with and are more easily felt in an uncomfortable way....The easy ones tend to just flow and take care of themselves.'

Venus and Mars do relate to love and sex and partnerships and money......BUt where they are will tell more..

JUPITERASC

Well, in prediction method i learned, the all aspects multiple of 30 degrees are used.
But the meaning of these aspects is dependent of the house relations
and the relocation chart house relations
some guidance with an example :smile:
A lot of people seem to have problems understanding progressions. The progressed Planets are nothing more than very very slow moving transits. Progressions are very internal in nature, meaning they're more likely to affect you mentally than physically. That doesn't mean progressions don't affect you physically, they can, for example a Planet progressing into the 6th House or the 6th House Ruler progressing into the 8th or 12th House or into certain aspects with the rulers of the 6th, 8th or 12th Houses can signify an illness.

Progressions are something you do maybe once in your life, and one of the best ways to do that is to write them down. You can use a spread sheet (like I use) or a word processor or write them on a legal pad, or you can use construction paper and crayons, it doesn't really matter. Other than that, all you need is a list of your Planets and the Ascendant and MC, and an ephemeris, which you should buy, but you can also find them online.

An ephemeris will look something like this:

Date............Sun....... Moon..... Mercury...Venus
May 26 1962 04°Ge28' 26°Aq47' 20°Ge23' 03°Cn43'
May 27 1962 05°Ge25' 10°Pi51' 20°Ge22' R 04°Cn55'
May 28 1962 06°Ge23' 25°Pi05' 20°Ge16' 06°Cn07'
May 29 1962 07°Ge21' 09°Ar25' 20°Ge05' 07°Cn19'

The symbolism is "day-for-a-year" so each day after your birthday is one year of your life.

Generally, you want to look at 120 days, which is 120 years of your life. Yes, I know you're not going to live 120 years, but none of you are special. When you die, the Solar System does not grind to a halt; it continues moving. Your chart lives on, even after you die.

There are somethings you might want to know about. Is your Will contested? Does your Estate end up in Probate Court? Does the government seize your Estate? Do your children fight over it? Does your spouse remarry? Maybe you want to comeback and haunt your spouse (or protect your spouse). Do your children marry, divorce, have more children, do your grandchildren marry etc.

Will you receive any awards or accolades, or publish a book? No kidding, a guy in Australia found his grandfather's diary of life in the trenches during World War I. He published it. Guess what? It showed up in the progressions of the grandfather's natal chart.

Here's a snippet from my progressions (sorry the formatting is less than desirable):

Natal .. Position.. Action.. Age.. Date .. ..........Location .. Contact
Venus.. 04°Cn39' Sign .....19 ....Jun 13 1962... 25°Cn14'.. 9th House
Saturn .11°Aq22' Square ..19 ... Jun 13 1962 ...11°Ta17'.. Mars
Neptune 11°Sc29' Opp .....19.... Jun 13 1962 ... 11°Ta17' Mars
Mars 28°Ar29' ...Square ...22 ....Jun 16 1962 .... 28°Cn47' Venus
Uranus 28°Le37' Qu .........22 ....Jun 16 1962..... 28°Cn47' Venus
Venus 04°Cn39' Sign .......23 .....Jun 17 1962..... 29°Cn58' Leo
Mercury 20°Ge22' D ........26...... Jun 20 1962 .....11°Ge52' D Mercury
Mars 28°Ar29' Sextile ......26 ......Jun 20 1962 .....28°Ge23' Sun
Uranus 28°Le37' Sextile ....26 ..... Jun 20 1962 .... 28°Ge23' Sun
Venus 04°Cn39' SSx........ 27 ......Jun 21 1962...... 04°Le41' Venus
Sun 05°Ge13' Con........... 28 ...... Jun 22 1962 .... 05°Le52' Venus
Sun 05°Ge13' Sign ..........28 ....... Jun 22 1962..... 00°Cn18' Sign
Jupiter 10°Pi38' SSx ........28....... Jun 22 1962...... 10°Aq38' Saturn
Moon 07°Pi41' Qu ..........29....... Jun 23 1962 ...... 07°Le03' Venus
Pluto 07°Vi32' Con ........29 ...... Jun 23 1962....... 07°Le03' Venus
MC 01°Vi31' Sextile...... 29 ........Jun 23 1962....... 01°Cn15' Sun

All I've done is write out the year in which there is some contact with progressed Planets.

At age 19, my natal Venus progressed to conjunct the 9th House Cusp at 25° Cancer.

How do you interpret that?

The 9th House Cusp is Cancer ruled by my Moon in my natal 4th House.
What is the 9th House?
Among things, it's long journeys.
4th House is the home.

I left the United States and didn't return for about 10 years.

See? It ain't so hard.

At age 23 my Venus progressed into the Sign of Leo. I got married. Because Venus progressed into Leo? Not entirely. My natal Mercury was Stationary in the natal 7th House, then it went Retrograde and then it went direct at age 26. In reality, I was actually 25 1/2 years old when Mercury went Direct in my 7th House of Relationships.

That is one of the advantages of writing out your progressions. When you see something like that, natal Venus progressed into the 9th House then into the Sign of Leo while Mercury goes Direct, you want to actually do a chart for that time period and then also look at the transits so you can get a sense of the timing (in this case transiting Moon conjunct Ascendant).

When I was 28, natal Sun changed Signs and entered Cancer. Did I become a Cancer? No, but I did take on some of the traits of Cancer. I became more sensitive, very emotional and extremely traditional, plus I took on a few of the negative characteristics, like brooding and being way too cautious, but then I was suffering from PTSD and the effects were starting to manifest themselves in a serious way.

When my Ascendant progressed into Sagittarius, I did not become a Sagittarius, but I did take on a few traits, like being really straightforward, to the point of being very blunt, and also broadminded and quite the procrastinator.

Natal .... Position .. Action ....Age... Date ............ Location .. Contact
Asc...... 20°Sc43' ..Sextile ....90 .... Aug 23 1962 ...20°Vi41' ... Mercury
Sun..... 05°Ge13' .. Sign .......91 .... Aug 24 1962... 00°Vi33' ....Virgo
MC ......01°Vi31' ....Sextile.... 91 .... Aug 24 1962 .. 01°Cn06'... Mars
Sun.... 05°Ge13'.... House .... 92..... Aug 25 1962 .. 01°Vi31' ...10th House
MC ......01°Vi31'..... Con .......92 .... Aug 25 1962... 01°Vi31' ... Sun

There's where I exit stage left. Not because of those particular progressions, mind you, but because of that and other things going on with transits and the Anareta wants to Tango.

The other benefit to writing out your progressions is that if you don't know the houses, signs, elements and natures (and that would be about 80% of you), then you will when you're done. The elements trine, the natures oppose and square, sextiles are always Fire/Air or Earth/Water etc.

I recommend using some of the minor aspects, like the quincunx, semi-sextile and semi-square.

Often in your life you might notice periods where your relationship with your children, spouse, parents, friends, co-workers or supervisors is a little testy and irritating. I guarantee you'll always find a semi-sextile or semi-square there. And the advantage of knowing that in advance is that you can take a "time-out," give yourself a "yellow card," take a different approach or do other things to make your life and everyone else's more pleasant.

Aspect orbs for progressions are 30' to 1° maximum. In addition to aspects, Planets changing Signs, Houses or going Direct or Retrograde are very important to note. For Planets that go Direct or Retrograde, flip ahead in the ephemeris and look to see if any transiting Planets are conjunct that point, because it will be emphasized. The same is true if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the pre-natal eclipses or the last Moon before birth (which will either be a Full Moon or a New Moon).

What if a progressed Planet goes Direct or Retrograde at the same point where there is a transiting Eclipse
or New/Full Moon for that month? I don't know, but note it and look at it in detail later. You can ignore Lunar Eclipses after 3 months, but for Solar Eclipses it'll depend on the nature of the Sign (ie 3 months for Cardinal, 6 months for Mutable and 12 months for Fixed).

After you make your list or table, look at past events and see if you can make sense of them. As I said, not everything will manifest itself in a way that you can physically see. Once you get a feel for past events, you can start looking at future events.