members

ashriia

The question is why did they leave and why are the majority of those astrologers that left the elderly, not the youths that tweet 24/7?

We need a 100+ more elderly astrologers here. Their constructive advice for the younger posters & wisdom is in my opinion what makes this forum really special.

Oddity

We need a 100+ more elderly astrologers here. Their constructive advice for the younger posters & wisdom is in my opinion what makes this forum really special.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. What's in it for the elderly (I assume you mean 'experienced') astrologers?

Oddity

Well, of they are like that, then nobody needs them.

exactly.

You obviously think this community is very special, and that most anyone would benefit from being a member of it. That being the case, promote it. Go out and convince your favourite astrology authors and web site writers to be a part of it, sell them on what you find so amazing about it.

Is it that difficult?

Oddity

One thing you could do is to start writing those sections you said the forum should have. Maybe if you get the ball rolling, other people will join in?

ALRESCHA

Of course I shall :)

And it is wrong to expect and judge the people who were born around WWII to share the passion for research still. :)

waybread

Astrology requires a lot of in-depth study and analysis. If people prefer short bits and bytes of information on social media, or the latest video clip, is astrology really for them?

When this forum started, it was intended for people who knew some astrology, and simply wanted to discuss parts of it, or get help with a tough chart-reading. Tim used to terminate "read my chart" requests if the person didn't at least make a stab at it. The mods subsequently decided to allow in beginners, and some have advanced rapidly. But this is a different forum now than it was when I first joined.

I think it's the nature of things for people that they have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

One thing I find very tiring on this forum are attacks against modern astrology techniques, apparently simply because they are modern. There is a place for all kinds of astrology here, but anyone who strongly disapproves of modern astrology might actually be happier at Skyscript. Sensitive people do leave forums if they feel they are under attack.

ALRESCHA

Maybe that is what drew them away. I am not 100% familiar with the forum's history, but, I too have noticed that people post on a thread that OP clearly states is about a modern technique saying it doesn't work.

I do not see modern astrologers doing that on traditional threads. However, moderators do clear that up fairly, and that is why I don't understand why would that hurt so badly for anyone to leave. :( And I find it hard to believe that the modern astrologers are a minority. :unsure:

Oddity

I also don't see modern astrology as the minority here, nor do I see the three or four people who use trad techniques relentlessly attacking.

I really, really don't think the problem, if there is one, is that people here use different astrological techniques.

Mostly it's a read my chart forum, and if you do that, you're unlikely to get feedback. Not even so much as a thank-you. And it's not fun. How many boy problems do you want to try to delineate for strangers in a day, even if you're getting paid for it?

What most astrologers at a professional level (elderly, experienced, however you want to call it) enjoy is a place to talk shop with people who are more or less on their level. But this forum tends to very rare threads on theory, history, and research, and dozens of threads per day of 'read my chart'.

I expect burnout may be one of the big reasons that regulars stop posting, aside from the vast majority who just pop in the one time for a free reading.

ALRESCHA

Yeah, I agree. One can hardly find the time to read for their RL people. But I never said how many attack :D

:w00t:

I mean, isn't it plain wrong to storm a thread on Pluto saying Pluto is not significant? There are no excuses. And reacting to that is even worse.

I don't see people storming threads on Saturn saying it doesn't rule this and that...

So a truce is necessary.

Let's hope that opening threads on theory and research will help a little because what we learn by reading their findings and discussions is priceless.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Maybe that is what drew them away.
I am not 100% familiar with the forum's history,

but, I too have noticed that people post on a thread that OP clearly states is about a modern technique saying it doesn't work.

I do not see modern astrologers doing that on traditional threads. However, moderators do clear that up fairly,
and that is why I don't understand why would that hurt so badly for anyone to leave. :( And
I find it hard to believe that the modern astrologers are a minority. :unsure:
Past history of this forum shows traditional opinions unwelcomed
and the vast majority of this forum as comprising modern astrologers
After requests, a Traditional forum was created 25 December 2011
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43946

A very popular modern astrologer, named a50 was eventually banned for persistently not heeding moderators advice
a50,

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrologer50
I'm happy they have their own sub forum and as there has/is strong views on both sides of the fence.
Provided of course the 'keep off' modern threads, it 'has' to go both ways!!!

If someone indicates they have a "modern only" thread, then only modern comments are allowed on the thread and no "traditionalists" need apply.
However, if it is a general thread, both traditional and modern astrological approaches are welcome on that thread.
To date, while I have seen several "traditional only" threads, I have seen very few "modern only" threads.
That is partly because there is such an overlap between "modern" and "traditional" methods
and many "modern astrologers" use some "traditional" techniques
as well as modern in their interpretations
(e.g., Mars ruling both Aries and Scorpio).

About the new forum,
Tim
The situation has clearly changed on the forum
when there were very few 'modern only' astrology threads

now
there are increasing demands for exclusively modern astrology threads
and the traditional perspective is clearly unwelcome

an example of a member well-versed in using traditional methods
who is now one of our ex-members :smile:
Paul_ requested his account be closed after stating his concerns regarding personal attacks against him

Tim

Thank you for your moderation, I feel we have been keeping you far too busy.

I mean this only for myself, and only as advice,
but I have a very thick skin,
I can take some critical posts and some character attacks.
I am somewhat used to them.

It may save you inconvenience to let personal attacks against me stand.
I am of the opinion that they better serve my arguments anyway.

It is your call, as always, but I'm not feeling under threat or hurt or bullied, I am not emotionally invested in the topic enough for that.
If you want a breather, you can ignore attacks against me

- if something strong comes up that I think is unwarranted I will ask you to apply your judgement as usual.

Paul
Paul_ is moderator on skyscript horary board

ALRESCHA

I once tried there registrating there or something, didn't work for 30 seconds, as it is poorly maintained, I lost patience so I won't try again for a while :D

I have had enough with Saturn in 3rd, don't judge me :D

Than you for sharing what happened with the one who made the website. I am happy to see that there is functioning democracy here! (I feel very bad about writing this, like I'll get banned some day for saying I am glad that someone got banned, it will turn on me :unsure: )

I can see that trads have a sub-forum here. So, how is it wrong to demand a modern thread only?

How would you feel if someone stormed your thread saying that a technique you are using is not valid? Like when that man tried to recitify a chart and some people just stormed in saying it is wrong of him to try because he doesn't have any clues on the time... That is wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! And you should apologize! There are only 24 hours in a day, so it is possible if you have the time. Do not do that because you are driving people away! I am not saying that it is all your fault that they left, though.

Most importantly, why do people even fight over the genuineness of the techniques of the schools they follow?

The only thing that is wrong here is that it is important for the majority on each side to share the opinions on everything with the people they want to interact with, or else there is no interaction. Clans are the issue. A big stupid cardinal cross. Losing the pack mentality is a priority.

The majority here is hostile and bitter and naturally assume that everyone just wants to fight them for no reason.

JUPITERASC

I once tried there registrating there or something, didn't work for 30 seconds, as it is poorly maintained,
I lost patience so I won't try again for a while :D

I have had enough with Saturn in 3rd, don't judge me :D

Than you for sharing what happened with the one who made the website.
I am happy to see that there is functioning democracy here!
(I feel very bad about writing this, like I'll get banned some day for saying I am glad that someone got banned, it will turn on me :unsure: )

I can see that trads have a sub-forum here.
So, how is it wrong to demand a modern thread only?
How is it wrong to have a traditional perspective? :smile:
How would you feel if someone stormed your thread saying that a technique you are using is not valid?
Like when that man tried to recitify a chart and some people just stormed in saying it is wrong of him to try because he doesn't have any clues on the time...
That is wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! And you should apologize!
There are only 24 hours in a day, so it is possible if you have the time.
Do not do that because you are driving people away! I am not saying that it is all your fault that they left, though.
Paul_ and Konrad both requested their accounts closed
because they were constantly attacked - and not by me

Waybread, way to miss the point. The only one trying to discredit anyone here is you. The reason I posted the chart is because Monk wanted one with Pluto bang on an angle, it is the only one I had. I'm glad your true feelings are out now, but you shouldn't be so bitter about being so wrong in regard to the chart I posted. As I said, reading a chart blind is hard and completely unnatural and I respect you for doing it, but to try and insult me and rather weirdly, Vettius Valens, should be beneath you. I thought we were getting on so well too!

Your suggestion of practicing Horoscopic astrology without a horoscope doesn't interest me. Anyone who claims to be able to read a Horoscopic astrological chart without a horoscope should be avoided. I never suggested a public figure, by the way, only that the information about the native could be revealed publically. In truth, I was not happy with how my own chart offering went. But forget about it, I will just go back to my blog and talk to myself on it. It is much less fun, but at least I can get some chart-reading done.

As for the chart I posted, I have already said I won't talk about deeply personal things, and I said that before you delineated it, so the sour grapes now is a bit of a surprise.
As for picking an "unplutonian" life, that would be impossible since I do not know what a "plutonian" life would look like.
Your responses outside of Pluto were wrong frankly, it isn't a big deal, we are all wrong, but accusing me of lying isn't going to make you right.
If you didn't like the level of detail in my responses, you should have said instead of thanking me.
Ultimately, I couldn't care less about what anyone else practices astrologically or what they think of my own practice.
I'm not looking for converts or followers, just some nice chart reading which is what I thought we had.
Honestly, I am a little disappointed you have resorted to this, but I will survive.
Konrad is no longer a member as he felt hounded - and not by me

keep in mind this is a discussion forum
where you yourself have said you are horrified at the lack of discussion on various topics

Members are entitled to state their opinion apparently
unless it seems it is a traditional opinion - so there is simply no discussion allowed it seems
UNLESS
it must be modern-only discussion
because
the majority of members on this forum are modern astrologers
so in a discussion
a traditional astrologer commenting is immediately attacked for being 'not modern'
yet modern astrology is entirely dependent on traditional technique

Most importantly, why do people even fight over the genuineness of the techniques of the schools they follow?
Discussion of the various techniques
rather than banning the discussion of traditional techniqes
is preferable

The only thing that is wrong here is that it is important for the majority on each side
to share the opinions on everything with the people they want to interact with, or else there is no interaction.
Clans are the issue.
A big stupid cardinal cross. Losing the pack mentality is a priority.
There is only one majority on this forum and that is the modern majority

very few are posting traditional comments
probably because if traditional is even mentioned
it is immediately unwelcome and attacked

The majority here is hostile and bitter
and naturally assume that everyone just wants to fight them for no reason.
Well, the majority on this forum is modern astrological :smile:
Originally, this forum had a general section which is intended for any comment
the comment may be modern, traditional, vedic, sidereal, tropical, chinese, uranian
the idea of having a general forum is to have general comment
as clarified by moderator wilsontc

a50,

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrologer50
I'm happy they have their own sub forum and as there has/is strong views on both sides of the fence.
Provided of course the 'keep off' modern threads, it 'has' to go both ways!!!

If someone indicates they have a "modern only" thread, then only modern comments are allowed on the thread and no "traditionalists" need apply.
However, if it is a general thread, both traditional and modern astrological approaches are welcome on that thread.

To date, while I have seen several "traditional only" threads, I have seen very few "modern only" threads.

That is partly because there is such an overlap between "modern" and "traditional" methods and many "modern astrologers" use some "traditional" techniques as well as modern in their interpretations (e.g., Mars ruling both Aries and Scorpio).

About the new forum,

Tim
as wilsontc highlighted
many modern astrologers use some traditional techniques

HOWEVER

it is clear now that modern astrologers now object
when a traditional astrologer
makes commentary on those traditional techniques the modern astrologer is using

that's unreasonable

ALRESCHA

How is it wrong to have a traditional perspective? :smile:

You will regret putting words in my mouth.

If a thread title requires examining detriment, for example, what smart *** would post there if they don't use it?!

And also, if a thread title is about an object that you do not count, why on Earth do you go there? It does not hurt to conclude what the OP is after. It just feel like trolling if you are not fit to answer the question. So, of course people would react in that way, especially if it is about a delicate issue, such as health. Not posting where you can't help is not only not trolling, but being respectful.

But, if you are kind and apologetic, maybe the person would be grateful and get something out of your advice. Don't offer them your theory books when they ask about an advice to a solution they need in dealing with Neptune, for example, but try to interpret instead, OK?

Oddity

Never attempted to tell anyone how to deal with Neptune. But if the chart is in RMC, horary, or another forum that doesn't have a prescribed approach, and I see something pertinent in it, yes, I'll comment. I won't say that whoever said it's a Pluto problem is wrong, but I won't use the outer planets in my delineations, either.

As far as I can see, that isn't against the rules. Nor is it trolling or attacking.

ALRESCHA

Yes, I agree, and I wasn't talking about you personally.

I am sure that anyone with a problem would be grateful if anyone would interpret their chart, no matter the system. And that would be perfect: to have everyone write about everything. That would build tolerance.

But offering theory books on such threads instead of a personal interpretation is clearly sending a message that the respectful system is better.

JUPITERASC

You will regret putting words in my mouth.
I think not
because I did not do that
clearly you misinterpreted my response to your comment
when you said:

So, how is it wrong to demand a modern thread only?
and I replied reasonably
'how is it wrong to have a traditional perspective'?

Unless there is some misunderstanding
you seem to be saying that the traditional perspective is not welcome at all by you on this forum
unless it is solely on the traditional board

but
that is not the ethos of this forum :smile:
Discussion on traditional as well as modern astrology is expected to occur on the general forum
and that's reasonable

however also
wilsontc has clarified that IF someone specifically does not want the traditional perspective
then quite reasonably, for the sake of clarity,
the OP is required to say that on the OP
If a thread title requires examining detriment, for example, what smart *** would post there if they don't use it?!

And also,
if a thread title is about an object that you do not count, why on Earth do you go there?

BUT
IF

a moderator created that thread

'about an object that you do not count'
by removing posts that you originally posted on another thread

and then the moderator transferred your posts onto a new thread
and
a moderator has now titled that new thread with a question you would not even ask simply because you do not count that object

clearly obviously
snce you are attributed as the OP of that thread
because your comment is made the OP of that thread by the moderator
then obviously you are entitled to comment on that thread

It does not hurt to conclude what the OP is after.
It just feel like trolling if you are not fit to answer the question.
It's ridiculous to accuse a member of trolling when they are posting comments on their own thread that they are the OP of
i.e.
a moderator created the thread, made that member the OP of that thread
and so
the OP can comment on their own thread

So, of course people would react in that way,
especially if it is about a delicate issue, such as health.
Not posting where you can't help is not only not trolling, but being respectful.

But, if you are kind and apologetic, maybe the person would be grateful and get something out of your advice.
Don't offer them your theory books when they ask about an advice to a solution they need in dealing with Neptune,
for example, but try to interpret instead, OK?
A link to the specific Neptune thread you referring to in this case would be helpful
If there is no such thread
then your complaint concerns a non-existent thread

ALRESCHA

They are in my mother tongue, sorry. Only once have the trads and mods been mean to each other.

And I come from a country where the most popular astrologers alive seem like they wouldn't hesitate to sprinkle holy water or throw garlic on your head if you have a Sco 18 or 19 placement. :unsure: