Virgo in myth and meaning

iauiugu

I am familiar with Virgo characterized as perfectionist, concerned with work, health, and purity in the service of others

And that it doesn't have much to do with popular ideas of virginity and chastity

But I've also read twice (in a transcript with Liz Greene in the New Insights book, and in Rio Olesky's Wheel of Light) that the Virgin is a figure that refuses to put anyone above themselves, which to me seems to depart from the standard interpretation, though my Virgoan-ness resonates with the idea

Does anyone know where this idea originated? I assume Liz and Rio are referring to the same uncited source material

It reminds me of Lilith (not wanting to submit to Adam) or Sedna (not wanting to marry any suitors or picks by her father), figures associated with a lot more darkness than Virgo ever is

dr. farr

I am a Virgo ascendant (albeit with a strong Taurus sun), and I disagree with the Liz Greene statement about Virgo: what I think (from experience) would be more correct, is to say that Virgo refuses to put anyone ABOVE THEIR IDEALS.

waybread

I've not seen this delineation of Virgo.

She is a very ancient constellation, usually symbolizing a female goddess in some form. In Hellenistic astrology, Virgo was mostly identified with Ceres/Demeter. The identification of Virgo with the goddess Astraea is a later interpretation.

Anciently Virgo had a strong association with the harvest of grain, symbolized by the star Spica; and the grape harvest, symbolized by the star Vindemiatrix. In Babylon and Egypt, she was apt to be symbolized as holding a date palm frond.

Strangely, Virgo is considered to be one of the "barren" signs-- presumably on the grounds that a virgin would not have become "fruitful" through child-bearing. Demeter's daughter Persephone seems like a better match with Virgo in this context.

wilsontc

Staff member
Virgo and service, to iauiugu

iauiugu,

You said:
...I've also read twice (in a transcript with Liz Greene in the New Insights book, and in Rio Olesky's Wheel of Light) that the Virgin is a figure that refuses to put anyone above themselves

This seems to me to be related to the idea of Virgo as wanting to be in service to others. Since they are in service to others they cannot be "above" the person they are serving.

Guessing,

Tim

iauiugu

I've not seen this delineation of Virgo.

She is a very ancient constellation, usually symbolizing a female goddess in some form. In Hellenistic astrology, Virgo was mostly identified with Ceres/Demeter. The identification of Virgo with the goddess Astraea is a later interpretation.

Anciently Virgo had a strong association with the harvest of grain, symbolized by the star Spica; and the grape harvest, symbolized by the star Vindemiatrix. In Babylon and Egypt, she was apt to be symbolized as holding a date palm frond.

Strangely, Virgo is considered to be one of the "barren" signs-- presumably on the grounds that a virgin would not have become "fruitful" through child-bearing. Demeter's daughter Persephone seems like a better match with Virgo in this context.

Thanks for the bounty of information waybread!

I've heard of Astraea's associate by proxy, that Virgo represents a goddess that left humanity when disgusted by their ways, reflecting the idea of desiring purity associated with Virgo

The idea of Virgo as 'barren' is also pretty interesting, as a total lack of fertility, the opposite of its associations with Ceres. It further reminds me of Lilith, Sedna, and other mythic maidens who do not reproduce and end up becoming dark figures for it

And less darkly, the idea that Virgo serves, does not generate things itself, but works on what it is given. hmmm

waybread

(Distinguishing between the sign and the constellation....)

I think Virgo is a great sign. I have Virgo rising and two sun-Virgo children. I think a fair bit of Virgo is explained by its Mercury rulership and its earth sign status. Virgo is analytical, but also practical. Mercury rules the hands as well as the mind and communication.

"Service" does not have to mean something menial or inferior. In economics, we have the concept of the "service sector," which includes people in poorly paid jobs. But it also includes brain surgeons, teachers, and CEOs of major charitable organizations.

To me, reading horoscopes for other people, if I can do it well, is a type of service.

theV

(Distinguishing between the sign and the constellation....)

I think Virgo is a great sign. I have Virgo rising and two sun-Virgo children. I think a fair bit of Virgo is explained by its Mercury rulership and its earth sign status. Virgo is analytical, but also practical. Mercury rules the hands as well as the mind and communication.

"Service" does not have to mean something menial or inferior. In economics, we have the concept of the "service sector," which includes people in poorly paid jobs. But it also includes brain surgeons, teachers, and CEOs of major charitable organizations.

To me, reading horoscopes for other people, if I can do it well, is a type of service.

Thank you. :biggrin:

CapAquaPis

Earth signs are very likely to participate in jobs in the service industry (Taurus and Capricorn too). Cancer which is opposite of Capricorn represents retail and supermarkets. And Pisces (opposite Virgo) along with Gemini and Sagittarius are involved in public services, as well religious services. Virgo would care about purity of others. The kind of signs for teachers and preachers alike.

Osamenor

Staff member
Earth signs are very likely to participate in jobs in the service industry (Taurus and Capricorn too).

In today's world, if you've ever had a job at all, you've worked in the service industry. Whether your chart is at all earthy or not.

I see the "not putting anyone above self" bit as part of the virgin goddess archetype. That archetype is one-in-herself (or himself; men also manifest it). This is someone who, while they may have relationships with family, partner(s), friends, etc., they don't make those relationships part of their identity. They're not swayed by power and don't get involved in power plays. They're impossible to manipulate because, while they're not immune to emotion, they're not driven by it either. They just go on doing whatever they're doing, no matter what's going on or who's trying to get them into the fray.

Way back, that's the real meaning of virgin. It's not about having sex or lack thereof, it's about being solid in yourself and unshakeable in that. When we say Virgo is the virgin, that's what we mean.

CapAquaPis

In today's world, if you've ever had a job at all, you've worked in the service industry. Whether your chart is at all earthy or not.

Absolutely, I had jobs in retail service industry, and I did an Aquarian thing of watering plants in the garden center, LOL. I have a stellium in Virgo - Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. In the Aquarian age, which has a Capricornian side...and the third epoch under the sign Cancer (or Capricorn), we're all going to be service workers in one way or another in the 21st century/new millennia economy.