• Disseminating Moon - 225 Degrees to 269 Degrees 59"

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Last Quarter Moon - 270 Degrees to 314 Degrees 59"

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Balsamic Moon - 315 Degrees to 359 Degree 59"

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

Arian Maverick

Here's something interesting I found a while back that I'd like to share with the community...

I am sure most people here are familiar with the different phases of the moon, but have you ever considered which phase you were born under and how the light in the sky (or lack thereof) may affect the dynamics of your personality? Although I admit that I have not searched specifically for such a topic on these boards, I have not yet encountered any discussion of the phases of the moon and its implications in a natal chart. And, being a typical pioneering Aries, once an idea has lodged itself fully in my head I can hardly stop myself from expressing it 8)

If you do not have an ephemeris handy, this is a simple site where you can enter your birth data and receive information such as the moon's age
that day and what percentage of its surface was illuminated:

http://www.paulsadowski.com/moonphases/

Once you have this information handy, it should be relativley simple to determine which phase the moon you were born under based on the picture displayed at the top of the screen.

Then, check out the article titled, "Understanding Personalities by Moon Phases" at this site:

http://www.panplanet.com/articles/plunpers.html

I hope this may prove to be interesting and informative...feel free to discuss your impressions here!

Aquarian Maverick

Summery Joy

Good idea, but I'm having trouble figuring out which Moon phase I was born under.

The first website you provided said that I was born when the Moon was 22 days old. This means that it was wanning, but I don't know which phase exactly. The second URL gives hints on how to determine the phase of the Moon using the degrees of distance from the Sun, so it's not much help either.

Maybe you can tell me which phase the 22-day-old Moon belongs to.

Arian Maverick

I'm no expert, but looking at the picture for January 22, 2006 (the last Day 22), the moon appears to be between Disseminating and Last Quarter.

If you want a more precise analysis , someone would have to check out the exact placement of the moon and the sun in your natal chart and count the degrees between them...but from the information you provided above, I should be able to achieve a pretty accurate estimation.

Since each cycle lasts approximately 28 days, and there are eight different phases, each individual phase lasts about 3.5 days. However, there is a Day 0 that brings the total to 29, which makes things a bit uneven. However, you can get a general idea.

So if you make a chart, it would read as follows:

Day 1: New Moon
Day 2: New Moon
Day 3: New Moon
Day 4: New Moon-->Crescent Moon
Day 5: Crescent Moon
Day 6: Crescent Moon
Day 7: Crescent Moon
Day 8: Crescent Moon-->First Quarter Moon
Day 8: First Quarter Moon
Day 9: First Quarter Moon
Day 10: First Quarter Moon
Day 11: First Quarter Moon-->Gibbous Moon
Day 12: Gibbous Moon
Day 13: Gibbous Moon
Day 14: Gibbous Moon
Day 15: Gibbous Moon-->Full Moon
Day 16: Full Moon
Day 17: Full Moon
Day 18: Full Moon
Day 19: Full Moon-->Disseminating Moon
Day 20: Disseminating Moon
Day 21: Disseminating Moon
Day 22: Disseminating Moon
Day 23: Disseminating Moon-->Last Quarter Moon
Day 24: Last Quarter Moon
Day 25: Last Quarter Moon
Day 26: Last Quarter Moon
Day 27: Last Quarter Moon-->Balsamic Moon
Day 27: Balsamic Moon
Day 28: Balsamic Moon
Day 0: Balsamic-->New Moon

So perhaps you are leaning more towards the Disseminating Moon than the Last Quarter Moon. However, I am not sure if you were born in the morning (closer to Day 22) or night (closer to Day 23), so it is difficult to be sure.

I hope this helped somewhat.

Aquarian Maverick

UPDATE: I am pleased to see that Balsamic Moon is in the lead thus far in my poll, though I am a bit biased since I too am a Dark Moon Child (Day 28 to be exact...doesn't get much darker than that, except for the New Moon, of course ;) )

For my fellow Balsamics, or those curious about this mysterious phase of transformation...check out this link:

http://www.astrologyforthesoul.com/balsmc3qmons.html

Elianah

Here is another place to look for Moon phase information:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_pap.pl

The US Naval Observatory site will not give you the day the Moon is at in its phases. It does give you the astronomical phase of the Moon (New, Waxing Cresent, First, Waxing Gibbous, Full, Waning Gibbous, Last, Waning Cresent), the time the Sun and Moon rose and set that day, how much illumination the Moon was at, when the next major phase (New, First, Full and Last) took or will take place, and a few other things. The major phases only last one day astronomically.

Here in the States all you have to do is fill out Form A (birthdate and birthplace). The time zone information will tell you whether or not the person's birth place was under Daylight Saving Time pre-1967 (except most of Indiana and Arizona which have never done DST).

For people outside of the States, you would use Form B. This one requires you to enter your longitude and latitude, your time zone, and place name. It gives you links to find this information.

Aquarian Maverick:

Do you know if Paul's calculation is set at GMT? I ask because the percent of illumination is different between his site and the US Naval Observatory site. For my birthdate Paul gives illumination at 77.25% and the USNO gives 83% based on my birth location and birth date.

Arian Maverick

Aquarian Maverick:

Do you know if Paul's calculation is set at GMT? I ask because the percent of illumination is different between his site and the US Naval Observatory site. For my birthdate Paul gives illumination at 77.25% and the USNO gives 83% based on my birth location and birth date.

I have no idea...the site I used to find such information only had you enter your birth date; it was not nearly as complete as the one you provided.

Aquarian Maverick

Draco

Hi AW,

Thanks for this poll. This is really interesting. I feel that the Moon's phase is important in the natal chart and is something which I feel is often overlooked and not given due consideration.

According to the first link you provided the Moon at my nativity was 26 days old, which according to your list makes me born under the last quarter. However, when I look at a picture of the Moon's phase that day, it is clearly the last sliver of an old Moon so I have always considered it to be balsamic. Also, according to the 'panplanet' link provided it says that if you were born when the Moon was 315 to 359 degrees away from the Sun then this is a balsamic Moon. I am 347 degrees away, so I do consider myself among you balsamics, and therefore this is the answer I have given on the poll.

I have always called the balsamic Moon the 'sickle' Moon, because the sickle, the reaper, is a symbol of death and so is appropriate to the Moon in it's dying phase. The fact that I was born beneath a dying Moon has always interested me particularly, because my Moon is also placed in the dying degree of it's sign at 29 degrees of Leo, which emphasises it's terminal and transitional qualities. The balsamic Moon is in preparation for metamorphosis, but even more so on the last degree of a sign.

I related to the link very personally where it says:
burn up one's karma in the fire of life, and set aside one's karma through selfless service

This seems to encapsulate a little of the meaning of my balsamic Moon on the dying degree of Leo "burn up ones karma in the fire of life", about to make its transition to Virgo "set aside one's karma through selfless service".

Thanks for the thread and the links AM.

Draco :wink:

Arian Maverick

According to the first link you provided the Moon at my nativity was 26 days old, which according to your list makes me born under the last quarter. However, when I look at a picture of the Moon's phase that day, it is clearly the last sliver of an old Moon so I have always considered it to be balsamic. Also, according to the 'panplanet' link provided it says that if you were born when the Moon was 315 to 359 degrees away from the Sun then this is a balsamic Moon. I am 347 degrees away, so I do consider myself among you balsamics, and therefore this is the answer I have given on the poll.

By all means go with your gut instinct...my chart was only meant to be a sketchy guideline at best! And, unfortunately, the Balsamic Moon was short one day due to uneven calculations (29/8 = 3.625).

I am so glad people are responding to this poll...I too am fascinated by the different phases of the moon, and the description of the Balsamic Moon personality is one of the readings I have resonated the most with. Yes, I have my moon in fiery Aries...but there is a deepness that cannot be explained without knowledge of the moon phases. The need to retreat into myself, to watch and question and observe...the feeling of being keenly seperate from others, even in group settings...all of this is under the Dark Moon's influence. It has brought me deeper knowlege of myself, and I hope it will do the same with others--Balsamics or not.

I have always called the balsamic Moon the 'sickle' Moon, because the sickle, the reaper, is a symbol of death and so is appropriate to the Moon in it's dying phase. The fact that I was born beneath a dying Moon has always interested me particularly, because my Moon is also placed in the dying degree of it's sign at 29 degrees of Leo, which emphasises it's terminal and transitional qualities. The balsamic Moon is in preparation for metamorphosis, but even more so on the last degree of a sign.

This is very interesting...thanks for sharing!

Aquarian Maverick

Arian Maverick

They seemed to have listened to you Draco...there were only nine votes the last time I checked! :wink:

Even so...this is a very meager percentage of the total number of people on the forums. So get out and vote everyone! :D

Aquarian Maverick

Draco

Hi AM,

I think sometimes when the polls end up getting to the bottom of the page, they get overlooked. So sometimes it's necessary to make a comment just to get the poll back to the top again, then people pay more attention. It's a shame the polls end up going cold because the results would be really interesting if we could get a big enough sample of at least 100 people, and even that isn't many.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who register and don't even bother sending a post, like when you click on there names they've only come on to plug a website, or a link to ****, or something that will send you a virus. Then there are those who come on and read the boards but don't make a contribution, but still they could vote on the polls without having to say anything. The polls are only interesting if we get a bit enough sample. So if you're reading why not just vote? You don't have to post a message if you don't want.

Lunar Pisces

Disseminating. Day 22, 264 degrees from my Sun. I fit Linda Reid's profile quite well actually. I know someone else who has this moon too, and he also fits the profile. Interesting.

freedomlover

I thought this seemed like an interesting thread to resurrect.

I'm a Day 4 Moon - New Moon/Crescent Moon. I'm not sure what time of day the new became crescent. I couldn't find any links describing the earlier phases. I'm familiar with New Moon meanings. However, I'm unfamiliar with Crescent Moon.

StelliumGoat

I was just thinking about the phases of the moon today myself, but I haven't been able to find any good sites which could tell me under which phase I was born. I've found one site telling me I was born under a waning moon and another a disseminating moon, are they the same? I'm really not very good with technical terms concering the moon's phases. As for my vote I'll guess and say disseminating moon.