Phobias anyone?

Betelgeuse

I started this thread to see the others opinion in finding and talking about phobias in astrologycal terms.

Example: Where do you see in your chart the fear of spiders? fear of clowns? fear of water? fear of flieng? fear of dark? fear of open spaces? etc.

I would atribute it to the water signs and houses the most, planets like Neptune, Moon, Pluto, sometimes Saturn. I like to use Lilith ( BML ) the most cause it reprezents our temptations, fears, obsessions, dark, secretive nature etc. and shows quite clearly in most charts.

( Example: Neptune (Capricorn/6th) opposition Lilith ( Cancer/12th ), can show fear of spiders, dark places, horror movies, anything that is dark, abyssal or evil. I knew a person whit this opposition and had these phobias, expecialy whit dark places and spiders. )

Removed as requested by the copyright owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilPixyScorp

Hmm....Since it is irrational & a gut reaction, the Moon would be
a good indicator?
Emotions run a heavy water person as well more than the others,
that would be a sign too. (Not to make water people sound like wussies!)

Fear of heights and the dark are very common though, to a certain extent..I think it comes from our cavemen ancestors & the fact we lack the night vision/superior hearing animals have, a survival instinct. :)
But if the phobia puts you beyond natural worry into anxiety attacks & crying, etc....It could be a past life deal, IF you believe in that....So then the South Node would be a factor..But def would the 12th(Subconscious) believe that or not.

I read that fear of clowns(masks) is because as babies, the strongest image the mind bonds to are NATURAL human facial features. I always disliked clowns, Disney costume characters, etc my whole life, something was just "Off" about it. That's another common phobia, perhaps translated to fearing not seeing what another human is feeling/thinking(Facial expression is 80% of communication right?).
A "controlled emotional expression" in another person would make a watery/firey emotional person peeved?

Saturn is restriction/fears we must face to become whole.
Native Americans believed being attacked by an animal, & surviving was a sign you overcame your fears.
So Saturn in hard aspect to Moon, 12th house/ruler, 3rd house/ruler or Neptune?

Very interesting topic.... :)

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Yeah thats really interesting about what your saying according to the South Node, Saturn and many of the karmical points in our charts.

Let's say for example, someone fears cats, this could indicate he could of being atacked or captured a disease from a feline in past life.

6th house is small animals or domestic ones( cats, dogs, snakes, lizards, birds etc ) ( sometimes small can be even insects ).
12th house is large animals or large ones ( cows, lions, bears, wolves etc )
8th house is poisonous animals or toxic insects ( scorpions, spiders, wasps, snakes etc )
9th house is traveling animals or racing ones ( camels, horses, elephants, hounds etc )

Anything karmicaly that is bad placed in those houses could indicate fearing the animals he had trouble in past life.
( like the example I said about in my first post in this thread )
Betelgeuse said:
( Example: Neptune (Capricorn/6th) opposition Lilith ( Cancer/12th ), can show fear of spiders, dark places, horror movies, anything that is dark, abyssal or evil. I knew a person whit this opposition and had these phobias, expecialy whit dark places and spiders. )

Very interesting you said about the clowns.
EvilPixyScorp said:
I read that fear of clowns(masks) is because as babies, the strongest image the mind bonds to are NATURAL human facial features. I always disliked clowns, Disney costume characters, etc my whole life, something was just "Off" about it. That's another common phobia, perhaps translated to fearing not seeing what another human is feeling/thinking(Facial expression is 80% of communication right?).
A "controlled emotional expression" in another person would make a watery/firey emotional person peeved?

I think the fear of clowns is called coulrophobia. Traditionalists atribuited the vocation of bieng clown to Leo sign and 5th house, resulting also the planet Sun ( or 5th ruler ). For me, costumes, clowns and anything related to these kinda stuff seem to me like as you said, as bieng "off" about it, cause my Sun is in 12th house, I don't fear clowns or costumes, they just don't amuse me, they appear sinister sometimes, expecialy clowns.

As you said, Saturn bieng the planet of "death" by traditionalists is also the reprezentant of restriction, obstruction, suspicios, inner wounds and fears.( from past life or recent life experiences ) etc. Lilith and South Node indicates a karmical scar, defects in all means ( ezotericaly, inner wordly, emotionaly, physicaly ), great indicators of fears ( phobias ).

Fear of spiders for example, they reprezent symbolicaly fatalistic view in life, anything dark, abbysal, apocalyptic, but also reprezents a powerfull force protecting you from your auto-destructive nature, making things better ( or transformation, similar to scorpio ). This might reprezent the person in a past life to have feared death ( in a obssesive way ), which in this life he fears anything thats dark/negative/malefic by nature or how it looks ( dark; spiders; blood; knives; secretive and shameful things in life at the same time; monsters; ghosts; ufo's; demons etc.)

In many charts of people whit phobias I have saw, that a 12th house aflicted badly indicated the problems ( and yeah... 12th house sounds like past lives ).

Last edited:
I have a fear of meeting people, and can get a really anxious feeling when I go outside my stomach churns. I can get a little anxious over silly things, I am always thinking I am doing everything wrong or not good enough. If I know visitors are coming to my house I can get really nervous too. I hate myself for being this way. I have Saturn in 1st in Virgo opposed Sun in Pisces.

Saturn in the Aries house I think also relates to my fear of asserting myself and being spontaneous, I hate violence but have attracted this to myself. I think I have to learn to be more assertive myself this is why I have been exposed to violent/overbearing people in my life. My Mars is pretty much unaspected too. I had a fear of heat when I was younger probably because my brother poured a kettle of boiling water on my foot :rolleyes: but maybe this also related to Saturn in 1st/realated to Aries. It was only a minor fear of fire/heat.

Last edited:

I actually don't like going into deep water unless on a boat, in fact, I haven't gone swimming since about 12. I just don't like it. I think that might be cancerian saturn in 4th and 12th house cusp on pisces.

Otherwise, I don't like walking where heights are involved and there is no rails. I went down some canyons a few years ago and almost passed out from the height. However, I love flying etc provided there's a security item like a plane around me! SN in Tau - I like being grounded maybe.

I also have a fear of appendicitis too. I freak out when I get a pain in that area. Probably pluto in 6th/libra.

jenluvsblackcat

Hey-a,

I've had different sets of phobias throughout my life. Like when I was little...I had a fear of eating spoiled or poisoned food because I DESPERATELY feared vomiting and dying. There was a period of time when I became so anxious in public that I feared I would puke my brains out all over. I never did. So eventually, I calmed down...until around the age of 13 when I became extremely afraid of getting sick and dying (again!) Or just being ill in general. I stopped eating on a normal basis, thinking that food would make me vomit and or be spoiled/poisoned (just like I had felt as a little child!) I then began playing the guitar and soon forgot just how much I feared death!
At 16...I began to travel more than most members of my family. I was the first one to fly on an airliner and the first to travel to NYC without a class trip behind me. I managed to travel with mild anxiety...but felt a fear of being shot. Now, as funny as it sounds...I felt more of a threat of being shot when I was in an open field (even in a no hunting zone lol) than I did when I was in the city. Strange. I still fear being shot...in the gut, maybe the left side.

Then around the age of 17, I became afraid of riding/driving a car. I had just gotten my license too...which sucked. I would have panic attacks as a passenger, but not as a driver. I'm still like this...unless I'm driving the car.
Right now...my fears are varied. Which is normal, I suppose. But I no longer give way to them in the usual sense. I know how to calm my nerves and to help my mind/emotions deal with external pressures.

That felt good to share!
J

SolarSiren

I used to get sick & dizzy at the thought of public speaking, or even a party with meeting new people. I'd go out of my way to avoid it to extremes.
It was the fear of being made fun of.

Saturn is in the 11th (Groups), and I have so much **** Water in me/Neptune....Not exactly a social butterfly!
However, I'd sit in a haunted house all night by myself no problem. LoL

StelliumGoat

My speciality, when it comes to phobias would definitely be of the social kind. When I was younger I had a school phobia (and still somewhat do), just being inside my own school I would get overwhelming nervous. I always felt that I wouldn't fit in, I would say the wrong thing, would embarrass myself somehow in front of everyone (and I've done this a couple of times), or that I would lose control, or be seen as being stupid or something. This has always bothered me and because of this I've never really enjoyed school because I haven't been able to relax. In school, I also had very few friends and most of time was a loner due to my social anxiety disorder. The social anxiety disorder didn't just affect school, it affected me wherever there were groups of people. For awhile, when I was younger I also had problems shopping and even leaving my house! This has gotten much better and nowadays I can shop without a problem except around the holidays, when I go into a store and there's tons of people around me, crowding me wherever I look. I seem to have claustrophobia to groups of people. I only feel this overwhelming nervousness around groups of people, but being around a single person at a time is much easier on my nerves.

I don't know where all this is represented in my chart so I will guess. Social phobias seem things that would have to deal with the 11th House or Aquarius, but I have nothing in my 11th House. I am an Aquarius, but my Sun and Mercury is intercepted in the 1st House. Maybe I'm afraid of social events because the truth is I'm afraid of being myself. I also have a Capricorn rising and my stellium is conjuct my ascendant. I think that people with Capricorn rising have a harder time fitting in. I've always felt older than the rest of my peers, and have gotten along better with adults. My stellium is being squared by my Libra Moon, I think Libras want to feel and be accepted and maybe that's my problem. I get nervous because I think I won't be accepted.

Apparently you identify yourself more to your Pisces Sun than to your Virgo saturn. usually with an opposition in a chart people have the tendance to identify either of the two polarities and repulse another. this is called "projection" in psychological term. so in your minds perhaps that "others" are satunian---limitating, uncomforting and even frightening.

Yes I would say I was more the Sun in Pisces feeling limited, sometimes it has been from others, a lot of times I have limited myself. I do need to balance the polarity and have a little bit more authority within myself. Develop a stronger Identity.

Saturn-Sun is indeed an aspect generating anxiety and worries, how can i put it, if Sun represents the archetype of "ego", then Saturn is "super-ego", your "super-ego" is just so strong that your "ego" might feel awkward in front of him. is it possible that befoer you contact others, you have been waging a mental fights over your own image that you would like to present to people? do you think that you are preoccupied by not being able to be "perfect" to other's eyes? are you afraid of speaking the wrong words or doing the wrong deeds thus getting rediculed? has it happend to you have an anxiety attack? you are not actually afraid of others, you probably are fearful of not being able to be "perfect"---a Saturn in Virgo is indeed consuming in this sense.

I can be so self conscious about myself in front of others, I start to worry about how I am perceived and then get anxious and then worry because everyone can see me getting this way and that makes me even more self conscious. I hate to be made centre of attention in conversation especially if all eyes are on me it feels really uncomfortable. The only time I can relax in company/or in a group is if I have had a few drinks and that takes the anxiety away.

In terms of family environment in which you were raised, it is possible that your father was very strict or your education has been very strict. it's also possible that your parents were somehow absent so that you had to manage to grow in adults world. but this is only one of the possibilities.

My father died when I was 18yrs old, so that is the Saturn Retrograde opposed Sun in my chart. Although I was classed as an adult at this time there is still a big gap missing without having the father figure there.

Sometimes we say that this aspect is guilt-generating since the "super-ego" could be very suffocating to our ego---our consciousness. I would suggest people who are shy or avoidant to look into their charts for the Saturn-Sun relation. sometimes a inconjunct of 150 degrees could be subtler but more damaging since the inconjunct happens in unconsciousness. just a bit thought Shinging Ray and with this helpful. :)

A lot of what you have said is true, I can swing between two extremes with this placement. Lately I have been a bit more Virgo and developed more of these qualities. But saying this I think I have always felt the Virgo strong as I have always strived to be perfect. There was a time I focused the perfectionism on the physical body and tried to be the perfect weight (Saturn in Virgo 1st of the physical body.) It is always something I have struggled with to feel comfortable within my own my skin.

I would love to be able to go out and be social with people and let my fears, worries and anxieties go and just relax and not worry whether people are judging me or not. I have read that it gets better for us Saturn's around 30 probably after the Saturn return which is approaching me now. So I am wondering what is going to happen at this time, I wonder how much I have learned my Saturn lessons. I still have problems being confident and having faith in myself.

I have to try and stay positive, and keep going/ I have already made improvements in my life like learning to relate better - Learning to take responsibility and I try not to escape from what needs to be done in my life. The self confidence in front of people is the main issue, but I am looking to go back to work next year, just some part time work because I have a baby and I still want to be there for him, so if we can afford it we can put him into nursery. My partner actually suggested this to help me get out the house more and feel social because I said I felt a bit sad not being able to have the interaction I used to at work. But as usual I don't have a clue what type of work I want to do, I will have to start thinking and decide what I want to do.

VENUS

i dont know if this has anything to do with my pluto conjunct saturn and asc (1st house), i mean, it prob does, but as a child i had such bad phobia of spiders and darkness i couldnt sleep sometimes. I always had this deep fear of one crawling on me while i was sleeping! I still am a paranoid person, but not to that extent! LOL

VENUS

my uranus is in sag/2nd house conjunct my jupiter in sag in the 2nd house as well. i have a sun sextile uranus, semi sextile moon, square mars ( im really paranoid of fires, and burns, i dunno if that has anything to do with it. but yeah the whole spider thing....lol....i used to curl up in my bed crying ALL night b/c i was so scared of falling asleep.....hahaha heres my chart:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/pinkpoodle26/venusnatalchart.gif

Manic_Monday

I'm a bit afraid of open doors. When I go to sleep, the door must be closed, or else I can't sleep. I prefer the window to be closed too. I'm afraid of an open door behind me: I won't be able to see if anybody comes in.
Caused by Moon in Scorpio, probably?

astrobhadauria

Dear,
Moon in Scorpio,seeing only to money and family members,if Rahu in the 12th,that means there are unknown fears,appear in mind when somebody is alone in Home,or any place,or near water.The soul from Samashan,and we can sya,the dead person,s soul with in thinking mind,there are widow lady,like the mother of father,or widow lady as a friend.

wintersprite1

Premium Member
I have an unusual phobia. :38: Balloons!!

I have had this for as long as I can remember. Honestly, I can not be in the same car with an inflated balloon. Oh, and do my children ever take advantage of this! (Driving me crazy is one of their hobbies) I believe it is the expectation that they are going to explode. When I was younger, Jack in the Boxes caused the same reaction. Sort of an anticipation fear. I suspect it has to do with Uranus.

TK

Last edited:

Draco

I have always had a terrible problem with arachnaphobia, and I don't just mean that I dislike spiders like most people do, I mean I have a really deeply ingrained psychological problem that affects my day to day life, particularly in Autumn.

Spiders are my worst nightmare, and yet I absolutely adore creatures such as snakes which are commonly disliked, but I cannot describe how much I loathe spiders, evil, wicked things sent from Satan himself to torture my soul.

For me, the Autumn is a time of mortal terror, I am psychologically shredded at this time of year because I cannot do anything at all comfortably at home, as I know beyond doubt that there are spiders around, hiding and watching me, and every now and again, in fact almost every day this last Autumn, they will make an impromptu appearance and scare the living **** out of me. It doesn't help that the spiders of this last Autumn were particularly large, they came out early and disappered late, and their population was also much bigger as due to the climate changes, the bredding conditions were beyond excellent for them.

It actually is a serious problem although people may laugh at it. If a person cannot go to bed for days on end, cannot enter a particular room or cannot go about any number of routine daily activities due to fear of an encounter then this is a pretty bad infringement on a person's life.

Dramatic as it may sound, I would be in less terror if I was in the same room with a crazed gunman than if in the same room as a spider. (I call them spy-ders, because they are always watching you.)

I have never been able to understand why it is that we can obtain ant killer and rat poison all over the place, but why is there is nothing on the market that will keep spiders away! Such a product would yield a fortune for the inventor, as it is very difficult to live in such constant discomfort for people like me during spider season.

I associate spiders with Scorpio, as of course the scorpion is an arachnid. In climates where we do not have scorpions, the closest symbol we have is the spider.

As for planets I see spiders as mercurial, for the intricacy of their weavings, their ability to spy and navigate nimbly.

In fact, I actually often refer to Mercury in Scorpio as 'the spider'. This Autumn where I am, people commented about how spiders were unusually large this year and there being so many of them. I think that Mercury in Scorpio during the autumn is particularly good for spiders, as it was this year, but particularly bad for me.

I also see spiders as martial, because they are vampiric predators.

I dread a Mars-Mercury conjunction in Scorpio in Autumn.

I have a younger sister who also shares may absolute terror of spiders, and she probably got it from me. Interestingly, my Mars in Scorpio is exactly conjoined with her Mercury in Scorpio.

The Moon comes off a square from my Mars in Scorpio in my chart, which I have often wondered if this has anything to do with the phobia. Then again, I totally adore creatures such as snakes and scorpions, which are also Mars/Scorpio things, so I don't know why this aspect would refer to spiders in particular. Having said that, I do not live in an environment in which I have ever encountered a wild snake or a scorpion, so perhaps there was no opportunity for a phobia of these things to develop?

freedomlover

Draco,

How horrible for you!!! Nobody should have to live like that!

As I was reading your post, the thought came strongly to me that this was a past life memory. I have had a similiar experience involving an animal, only not quite as severe as yours. The cause was definitely past life, as it came out in a regression. But actually the signs were there all my life. I was just then able to tie them together. The tie-in with your sister would support this, as well. Perhaps you, or someone close to the two of you in a past life, were bitten by a deadly venomous spider? Perhaps you died or had to watch someone you love
die from this bite?

I am praying for you and your sister to be healed of the cause of this. I know the kind of terror you're describing all too well.

Peace,

Freedomlover