Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Rawiri

If I use Egyptian hieroglyphs is that text or image? :unsure:

On the note of meme culture - there are loads of memes that aren't English. I know Japanese, Thai and Spanish have a massive amount of memes. But you won't see that in English speaking areas of the internet much, for obvious reasons.

(I read a couple of years ago about a boy who was a "native" Esperanto speaker, brought up by his father speaking it to him...and there are still language nerds who learn it. Don't see the appeal, personally)

JUPITERASC

egyptian-art-7-728.jpg

On the note of meme culture - there are loads of memes that aren't English. I know Japanese, Thai and Spanish have a massive amount of memes. But you won't see that in English speaking areas of the internet much, for obvious reasons.

(I read a couple of years ago about a boy who was a "native" Esperanto speaker, brought up by his father speaking it to him...and there are still language nerds who learn it. Don't see the appeal, personally)

david starling

Aren't hieroglyphics pictographic, rather than text? Morse code uses punctuation marks and dashes. That might be o.k. :lol:

Rawiri

Sometimes they are pictographic, yeah.

But not entirely. Especially for a subset of them which was used like a kind of "alphabet" that when combined would form words/sentences that have no resemblance to the images used.

If you've ever been to or go to Egypt they use that to hawk things to tourists such as papyrus with your name written on them in hieroglyphs.

david starling

Sometimes they are pictographic, yeah.

But not entirely. Especially for a subset of them which was used like a kind of "alphabet" that when combined would form words/sentences that have no resemblance to the images used.

If you've ever been to or go to Egypt they use that to hawk things to tourists such as papyrus with your name written on them in hieroglyphs.

What about cuneiform?

Rawiri

What about cuneiform?

I don't know as much about cuneiform but I believe it is pretty similar to Egyptian Hieroglyphs in that way.

In both cases it also depends on the time frame you are looking at...the later you get the more they seemed to depart from pure pictographs (eventually departing from hieroglyphs entirely and becoming "coptic")

Edit: Just checked and yes, cuneiform is more or less the same and has phonetic considerations.

Last edited:

david starling

One source isolates 14 alphabets, based on the letters used.
By population, the Latin alphabet has by far the greatest % of the total--36% compared to 14% Chinese.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
A reason for why the correlations work?

For any two correlated events, A and B, the different possible relationships include:

1. A causes B (direct causation)
2. B causes A (reverse causation)
3. A and B are consequences of a common cause, but do not cause each other
4. A and B both causes C, which is (explicitly or implicitly) conditioned on
5. A causes B and B causes A (bidirectional or cyclic causation)
6. A causes C which causes B (indirect causation)
7. There is no connection between A and B; the correlation is a coincidence

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation#General_pattern

Traditional astrology has an indirect causation explanation for astrology using the four elements. What is your explanation?

Opal

Premium Member
For any two correlated events, A and B, the different possible relationships include:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation#General_pattern

Traditional astrology has an indirect causation explanation for astrology using the four elements. What is your explanation?

I know what you do! You are a politician!

david starling

A Universal, all-inclusive Magnetic Field Matrix. Then observation and correlations based on the intuitively created zodiacal systems.

Last edited: