Obsession?

Michixo

What in a natal chart and Synastry causes obsession? I have Pluto in the 8th, and am a very obsessive person in love. I tend to hide it so I don’t scare the other person off. What are some other ascoects?

theoddone

^What Scorpio90 said.

In the natal chart, having Pluto aspecting your personal planets and angles could cause obsession as well as having your Sun, Moon, or Ascendant in Scorpio.

greybeard

I have a loaded 8th house, the most emphasized house in the chart. Venus opposes Pluto and the aspect is central to the chart.

There is nothing obsessive about me.

Seems to me there is some oversimplification going on here.

What is obsession? It's a pattern of thought. It's a merry-go-round that just won't stop and let you off. It feeds on itself, grows stronger with every repetition.

It is self-defeating behavior. Narrow focus is implied. There is an inability to let go, to release.

I just don't think it's so simple as to say "Scorpio rising" or Venus-Pluto.

moon/pluto aspects in natal and synastry give obsession. if someone has their moon in someones 8th house, they will most likely be obsessed with that person.

i have moon opposite pluto natally and it takes me a long time to get over people and i tend to be obsessed with whoever i love. moon pluto aspects feed limerence.

i also had synastry before i was the moon person, he was the pluto person...i still watch his social media and its been years. i understand its over, the relationship served its karmic person but yet...i still hold on and sometimes i get so mad at myself because there is no logic behind why i continue to hold on.

i also have venus conjunct pluto natally. i think that adds to it.

mars square pluto can bring toxic obsession synastry wise and natally.

greybeard

Can we call "obsession" "fixation"? Then a preponderance of Fixed signs just might be an indicator.

How about the 12th as residence of "self-destructive and self-defeating behaviors" and "repressed contents"?

How about Moon as "knee-jerk reactions" and "conditioned responses"...clinging, not letting go....

Mercury-Pluto contacts

And more....Neptune rules ghosts and goblins and things that go Boom in the dark.

Maybe retrogradation or interception could signify obsession.

A chart pattern such as the bundle or the bucket might show such a perversion of focus. Or even a stellium.

Last edited:

Domna

I don't think obsession is necessarily always a negative thing. It is just a consuming focus that can just as easily be creative as destructive.

My mind is a fairly obsessive thing... but not in any negative way. Unless you count that I'll sometimes get so consumed by a thread of research that I forget that the real world exists. I'll go down a rabbit hole and not come up for air until my eyes droop shut. I don't have the stamina to keep it up for long enough that it'll do any real harm though.
I'll get stuck on a particular subject of interest for weeks on end, until I either get to the end of the line as far as research goes, or I tire of it and feel like I never want to think about it again... I'm also sometimes obsessively creative, artistically, if inspiration strikes.

I'm not emotionally or romantically obsessive at all though. Nor do I have any OCD-issues.

Cancer Mercury/Mars/MH trine Scorpio Pluto (retrograde) is one of the central aspects in my chart. Pluto also aspects my Moon, Neptune, and makes minor aspects to Sun and Ascendant. And my chart ruler, Venus, is in the 8th house. I don't know what to blame of not Pluto... Mercury and Mars are both out-of-bounds. Moon is in Virgo 12th house. I have 3rd and 9th house stelliums, but nothing really heavy...

There is a minor aspect called a quindecile (165 degrees) that is said to be obsessive in nature, and I do have several of those (Mars-Uranus, Pluto-Venus, Pluto-Jupiter etc... none involving Mercury though). Not sure yet how valid I find that aspect though, haven't made myself very familiar with it.

ardentika

I have a loaded 8th house, the most emphasized house in the chart. Venus opposes Pluto and the aspect is central to the chart.

There is nothing obsessive about me.

Seems to me there is some oversimplification going on here.

What is obsession? It's a pattern of thought. It's a merry-go-round that just won't stop and let you off. It feeds on itself, grows stronger with every repetition.

It is self-defeating behavior. Narrow focus is implied. There is an inability to let go, to release.

I just don't think it's so simple as to say "Scorpio rising" or Venus-Pluto.
I agree!

What about Virgo? Why do you think everyone mocks Virgo for having OCD lol. They can obsess a lot. Maybe not about people but certain details. Gemini can obsess over a topic. Every sign can obsess over somethint, it's not just Scorpio.

Idk why Scorpio is so misinterpreted and misunderstood in 2019 lol

Scorpio rules the deepest parts of our psyche and often when obsession comes from it its so deep and feels out of our control that it might be painful. But its all to bring growth and so that we can learn more about ourselves. Once a lesson is learnt from that obsession it never comes again. Even when the nature of obsession is understood it never happens again.

Lin

Part of feeling "alive" is feeling emotions. The 8th house, Pluto and Venus and Jupiter, in or ruling the 8th, will make emotions intense. If the moon is in or ruling the 8th all sorts of dynamics can come from this. Including obsessions, fixations, joy or sorrow....and a lot of it "remains" even if the "object" of the fascination is no longer in one's life.
Because we remember the feelings PHYSICALLY.

Also, transit Pluto, Neptune maybe even Uranus and Jupiter can kick start this emotional situation. It can lie dormant until one of these transits and then the object of the fascination or obsession will be part of the transit.

So the obsessive situation can be something that IS no matter what transits are present, or the TRANSITS can activate the obsessional dynamics. IF one has the potential for this in the chart, chances are at some time one will feel this. However, one does not have to have this situation RULE their life. A strong "reality check", some counseling and some looking forward to a better way of loving....someone who feels the same or who will be more appropriate in the future.....these things can get one over the worst part of this dynamic, which can actually paralyze one for a long time, if it's not curbed.

It's not good. It's not healthy. REalizing this may help - and more down to earth planets or transits may help one "get over" this unfortunate happening in one's life.

This type of "relationship dynamic" rarely "works" in a long term relatonship as one person often feels much more deeply or just differently from the other. LOVE has definitions and each of us has a different definition of what love is or means or what is expected from it and what we are expected to GIVE to it.

LIN

wan

I have my Moon in Scorpio. My 8th house is not greatly emphasized (only a planet in it and it's not a personal one). I think I can sometimes be really obsessive, but it usually goes away on its own. I believe my efforts to "train" my mind into being more mellow worked.

For others, I think (and just several other people have pointed out above) Pluto aspects can be huge factors, especially when they aspect personal planets. When someone has this, and then throw in an emphasized 8th house, it can really turn the volume up.

When talking about whether one is emotionally/romantically obsessive I would look at whether Pluto aspects the relationship planets (Moon, Venus, angle rulers).

love-thinking

I have my Moon in Scorpio. My 8th house is not greatly emphasized (only a planet in it and it's not a personal one). I think I can sometimes be really obsessive, but it usually goes away on its own. I believe my efforts to "train" my mind into being more mellow worked.

For others, I think (and just several other people have pointed out above) Pluto aspects can be huge factors, especially when they aspect personal planets. When someone has this, and then throw in an emphasized 8th house, it can really turn the volume up.

When talking about whether one is emotionally/romantically obsessive I would look at whether Pluto aspects the relationship planets (Moon, Venus, angle rulers).

I have moon in taurus in 8th house, opposite pluto and venus(asc) ruler quintile pluto (below 0.25 degrees). I'm definitely obsessive. I either like you or don't but if I'm in a relationship with you, I am not here to play.

Baat

I have Jupiter in the 8th in my natal chart, and mercury/Venus in Virgo (just saying since someone mentioned virgos are obsessive too lol)

I was soul-crushingly obsessed with a guy whose Venus was in my 8th house, his sun was also conjunct my MC which I've read causes you to idealize a person. Kissing and touching this person was just electric for me, and it took me almost 4 years to stop hurting after he was gone.

Flapjacks

6th house dynamic as well as 12th. Routines, repetitions, daily activity. 6th house "afflicted" by Pluto or Saturn might indicate this type of obsession if it touches on personal planets/points.

Can we call "obsession" "fixation"? Then a preponderance of Fixed signs just might be an indicator.

How about the 12th as residence of "self-destructive and self-defeating behaviors" and "repressed contents"? intercepted along with the 6th house - "inaccessible subconscious/conscious energies"

How about Moon as "knee-jerk reactions" and "conditioned responses"...clinging, not letting go.... Moon ruled by Saturn in the 6th, square Pluto in the 6th

Mercury-Pluto contacts Mercury in Leo (fixed) square Pluto

And more....Neptune rules ghosts and goblins and things that go Boom in the dark. Neptune in 8th, ruled by Saturn in the 6th

Maybe retrogradation or interception could signify obsession. Mercury, Mars in the 8th (ruled by Saturn in the 6th), and Saturn are all Rx

A chart pattern such as the bundle or the bucket might show such a perversion of focus. Or even a stellium.

I have almost all of those things (red for specifics). You cad. :biggrin:

I don't think obsession is necessarily always a negative thing. It is just a consuming focus that can just as easily be creative as destructive.

I go back and forth on this. I don't have OCD either, but I was at the very least borderline as a kid (depending on who you talked to). It is hard to find the line between "creative" and "destructive" if obsession is playing part. Although, to be honest, that line is fascinating to me.

As far as synastry goes, I had once in my life an intense attraction with someone. At one point, he was among a crowd of people chatting away, then I walked in. Everyone went dead silent when we locked eyes, as if the entire room became electrified and they all felt it. It was comically serious and became obsessive to the point that a relationship was impossible. :whistling:

The biggest indicator was his early degree Aqua Mars conjunct my late degree Cap Moon. Individually, my Moon is involved in a T-square, opposite Sun/Merc (Cancer/Leo) and square to Pluto in Scorpio. His Mars is square Pluto, 0 degrees, and that is the only major aspect Mars makes to his other planets. His strong Mars/Pluto square activates my central Sun/Merc, Moon, Pluto T-square.

In addition, his Venus and Jupiter are conjunct in Capricorn, conjunct my Mars in the 8th house. His Venus/Jup ruler Saturn is in Scorpio conjunct his Sun in Scorpio (trine my Sun, exact).

His Chiron is conjunct my AC within 1 degree in Gemini (ruled by Merc). Chiron is the "handle" of his bucket chart, where all his planets span between Libra and Aquarius, starting with Moon and ending with Mars. Then, his Mercury in Sag in the "center" of the bucket is conjunct my Uranus and opposed my Chiron, 0 degrees. That might have added the "electric" quality. His bucket configuration was like a focusing lens on my AC.

So, both of us had indicators of Pluto extremes and Saturn seriousness individually, and it reflected in the synastry with some Uranian kick.

Last edited:

ellie04

i have moon opposite pluto natally and it takes me a long time to get over people and i tend to be obsessed with whoever i love. moon pluto aspects feed limerence.

i also had synastry before i was the moon person, he was the pluto person...i still watch his social media and its been years. i understand its over, the relationship served its karmic person but yet...i still hold on and sometimes i get so mad at myself because there is no logic behind why i continue to hold on.

i also have venus conjunct pluto natally. i think that adds to it.

mars square pluto can bring toxic obsession synastry wise and natally.

I've Pluto conjunct someone's Moon and square his Mars, and in natal he has both aspects. I've always wondered how the combination of these 2 interaspects feel to him. Any idea?

Cary2

Banned
Moon/Pluto aspects tend somewhat to fanaticism, but not all possessors are fanatics. Mars added will incline more to fanaticism. Because he has it in his chart, you will deal with it if you are in a relationship. It is less likely that you will exhibit Moon/Pluto/Marts characteristics than you will simply need to deal with them and have reactions to them. Moon/Pluto feels things with extra intensity; some people might interpret that as obsession.

ellie04

Moon/Pluto aspects tend somewhat to fanaticism, but not all possessors are fanatics. Mars added will incline more to fanaticism. Because he has it in his chart, you will deal with it if you are in a relationship. It is less likely that you will exhibit Moon/Pluto/Marts characteristics than you will simply need to deal with them and have reactions to them. Moon/Pluto feels things with extra intensity; some people might interpret that as obsession.

How does he feel towards me whose Pluto is conjunct and square these configurations in his natal? E.g. my Pluto square his Mars which in his natal is squaring Pluto.. will I cause him to go out of control?

Cary2

Banned
How does he feel towards me whose Pluto is conjunct and square these configurations in his natal? E.g. my Pluto square his Mars which in his natal is squaring Pluto.. will I cause him to go out of control?

If the orb is close, then it is a warning between you. It is a difficult thing in relationships.