Will I obtain my PhD? + some questions/general interest

mushroompillow

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

For some background:

I'm in a period of intensive/academic-like astrological study after having found a deep passion for it. I'd say I'm at an early intermediate level in my understanding. My undergrad is in psychology and I'm heavily influenced by Jung, and so the intersection of his philosophies/theories and astrology fascinates me to no end... I recently went through a terrible divorce and very much so lost my way throughout the marriage; I had plans to get my PhD before we met, but our relationship/life did not support such studies, so that dream died.

I've really "found" myself on the other side of this process after first experiencing the many "deaths" to get here, and while it has been quite intense, and I like the direction I'm headed. For arguably the first time, I feel a deep "knowing" that my energy is being channeled in the right way. I'm so deep in my own research and exploration that graduate school is consumingly on my mind again - I need an atmosphere that supports and encourages my mind/soul/interests and gives me a platform to really dive deep into my work to make something of it. Although it's a different path than where I wanted to go before my marriage, this path feels truly aligned with who I am. In other words, I really believe this is where I want to go, and I've got an insatiable appetite to make it happen.

With all this said, I've (very) recently been interested in the topic of Horary astrology. I've been trying to parse it myself, and truthfully I've just confused myself more given that this technique is complex, and I hardly know much on the topic. I've also read so much conflicting information depending on the astrologer. I've been using the Placidus system for a few years because I feel it very accurately represents me, so that's the house system I've chosen to use, but the more I get into astrology, the more open I become to understanding different perspectives; I want a full understanding of all that I'm interested in, as I feel that's the most authentic way to find oneself. I will always use the outer planets and modern rulership when interpreting natal, transit, synastry, and composite charts though; I find myself very influenced by my natal outer planet placements so it feels relevant and necessary to include them in Horary interpretation, but I'm not even sure if Horary should be parsed through modern or traditional rulership. I feel like there's largely an intuitive aspect with astrology, which seems to explain why we follow different philosophies and use different methods/techniques, but Horary seems to be more structured so I'm very confused by all of it.

Anyway, I sat with the energy of this question for several hours before really asking it. I tried to clear my energy to ask it with clear intention. At 9:14 am yesterday morning, I asked "Will I obtain my PhD?".

In hindsight, I realize perhaps this was a bit too narrow, as I'm open to a different route, but one that still involves graduate school (perhaps a Masters for example)... but either way, I would very much appreciate your interpretations. I'm also obviously fascinated with all of this, so I'd also love to know your preferred techniques and philosophies, and how/why you arrived at the conclusion you did. I'm a forever student!

PS, if this turns out unfavorably, don't worry about crushing my dreams, haha. Give it to me straight! It's certainly not going stop me from following a path that feels right, which always seems to ebb and flow first anyway.

I've also attached my natal chart in case it's relevant or of interest. The chart with the Gemini ascendant is my horary question, and Capricorn ascendant is my natal.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.02.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.02.30 PM.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.02.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.02.43 PM.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 26

blackbery

That is incorrect information, a querent can ask any yes/no question whether they have control over it or not.

The time frame is not 3-6 months, it can be anytime unless the querent puts a specific time frame in their question.

You are placing on these conditions on horary astrology which don't exit.

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Horary doesn’t work for questions which you have largely the control over. You cannot second guess yourself. Whether you finish your PhD is largely dependent on whether you are willing to put in the time and energy in a timely fashion. It's not dependent on unknown action of another person or persons.

Also.... Horary has a time line of 3-6 months. Your getting a PhD in psych is out beyond that time line by quite a bit.

Now if you are asking whether you will be able to get into a specific PhD program, you have minimal control over a situation where there may be 6 places with 600 applicants, that’s within the parameters. That was my son’s situation, so he went into a post Baccalaureate work job for a year which was connected to the program and assured his entrance into it with a free ride and stepped in front of the 600 unknown applicants. Better the student you know rather than the unknown student. My son took 6 years to get his.

blackbery

OK, to answer the question although I'm no expert in this branch!

You are :mercury:on the cusp of 12th House and Higher Education is ruled by the 9th where :saturn: is right on the cusp too! There is a quintile aspect. Can be good or bad depending on how you interpret it. Here's one explanation:

You have a talent for developing your own style or unique approach to a subject. You synthesize the models, concepts, or techniques of others into a pattern or design that is unique and personally comfortable for you. If you develop expertise or facility in any area, you will experiment and play with different conceptual models until you develop a new mold that suits your personal taste.

:moon: is almost Void but you made it within an hour. :moon::opposition::jupiter: the last pass made, that's a sign that you are feeling optimistic about being able to obtain a PhD. It just might not be in a straight line way but a more circular one.

Good Luck.

:smile:

I just realized the quality of my attached photos is terrible. Here's an Imgur link! I've also removed most of the asteroids.

https://imgur.com/a/p5ztdNj

waybread

I practice a simplified form of traditional horary astrology.

I don't think this chart supports your goal of getting a Ph. D.-- at this time. Keep in mind that horary charts are not forever-- they are time sensitive, so you can ask again once some months or a year have gone by and your circumstances change.

For now, however, the moon is void-of-the-course. You are symbolized by Mercury; and higher education (a 9th house matter) in this chart is ruled by Saturn. The two planets are not applying to an aspect; and they are not sharing essential dignity.

I spent my working life in universities, not counting graduate school. While I admire your enthusiasm, I did not get a clear sense of the type of department in which you might seek your Ph. D. Jung is not much taught these days at accredited comprehensive university Ph. D.-granting psychology departments. There are some specialized Jungian institutes that are accredited that you might explore, however. I don't know if they would require a Master's degree prior to your applying for a Ph. D. program, however.

So please do your homework. Look up psychology (or other) programs on-line. See what they require for admission, what are their faculty research interests, and what a Ph. D. would require. In psychology it is often a lot of clinical hours as well as course work.

While you're looking at programs, take a look at the cultural astronomy program at Trinity St. David campus of the University in Wales. You can do this on-line.

https://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/ma-cultural-astronomy-astrology/

blackbery

Rules are rules no matter which method or astrology you connect with.

You are telling the OP things about horary that aren't true. Such as a person cannot ask a question if they have control over it...

or that a question cannot be answered if the time frame falls out of the 3-6 month time frame YOU'VE alloted.

Just setting things straight here.

My 'views' are based on rules.

Anyways, OP never returned so waste of time anyways!:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Blackberry’s view is his or her’s own.

There is no standard view of horary that everyone believes in.

I represent the view of Modern Horary astrology, most thoroughly represented by 20th century astrologer Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson, author of SIMPLIFIED HORARY ASTROLOGY, and much other horary writing spread through her 8 volumes on astrology.

waybread

Blackbery and Samantha, I think the "rule" is not so much whether you have control over a situation. It is whether you already know the answer to your question.

Yes, first the applicant has to get admitted into the program.

I spent my working life in Ph.D-granting university departments. In terms of getting a Ph. D., there are all kinds of reasons why a hard-working student might not succeed. Some students, sadly, have the desire but they just don't have the right kind of smarts to pass their comprehensive exams, or to get their dissertation proposal past their supervisory committee. Sometimes they develop an adversarial relationship with their supervisor. This is often because some students just don't take direction very well. Sometimes a good intervening opportunity comes their way, like a job that doesn't require a Ph.D. Sometimes once they get into a program, they lose their enthusiasm for the subject matter. Some students can't support themselves on TA or RA wages; and student loans are a ball and chain for their financial future. Some students get really sick, or have over-riding family issues.

It's a long list.

What I see as missing from the OP is a sense of focus. A Ph. D. is a highly specialized degree leading to a particular type of career. I don't get a sense that she has seriously looked at specific Ph. D. programs or thought through what career her Ph. D. would lead to. It's not like a liberal arts BA.

Last edited: