Elitists in academia?

Zarathu

Account Closed
I think it would be an interesting read if some of the elitist snobs out there in academia could get past their own bias and not trash it without reading it first.

The elitist snobs in academia won't even consider you if you don't have a PhD in something.

Do you have a PhD, that is your first among many hurdles?

waybread

Re: Synastry with the dead

Sorry, guys-- which "elitist snobs in academia" did you mean? I am a retired academic!

As you know, a lot of great books are written by journalists or simply independent scholars, usually for a less elite snobbish audience. I doubt that most of the journalists have doctorates. Academic presses are also in business, so while a distinguished author can be more assured of acceptance, a super topic by someone else would be of interest to them. But they do have particular things that they do and do not publish.

The idea is to choose your market, read the best work in that field, and then understand how publishing works. It is possible to self-publish, but books get a whole lot better via an editor. Anymore, e-books and websites are becoming more popular than paper books.

But writing a history or biography does take some knowledge of those fields, which hopefully you've got. If you can combine that knowledge with some chart interpretation, you should get some great insights.

Last edited:

Jesse Booth

And as for the whole understanding Adolf Hitler on a basic level, it makes sense. After all, he was only human. And a student of the occult and an artist to boot! Personally, I think that if that snobbish elite art school in Vienna had just accepted his d*mn application, millions of lives would have been saved and we'd be studying the beautiful art of the somewhat controvertial artist Adolf Hitler in school, instead of that other legacy of his.But then again, we would've been in the Great Depression a lot longer if he hadn't gone all crazy-murderer-dictator on us. Hmmm... We need a "deep thinking" smilie too.

Yanel

And as for the whole understanding Adolf Hitler on a basic level, it makes sense. After all, he was only human. And a student of the occult and an artist to boot! Personally, I think that if that snobbish elite art school in Vienna had just accepted his d*mn application, millions of lives would have been saved and we'd be studying the beautiful art of the somewhat controvertial artist Adolf Hitler in school, instead of that other legacy of his.But then again, we would've been in the Great Depression a lot longer if he hadn't gone all crazy-murderer-dictator on us. Hmmm... We need a "deep thinking" smilie too.
Hitler shouldn't have considered school and shoud have done what I am going to do - just paint his f**king landscapes(although, I am writing books, not painting anything). He even painted well.
Mdinaz, but why didn't you publish it after all? Who cares about snobs, academia and whatever? The world is ahead of you, go do what others can't! It's not like somebody is expecting to read such an interesting book by an elitist snob...

But isn't someone going to tell me anything about my chart? No? Well...sorry Hitler, we are not meant to be...

mdinaz

The elitist snobs in academia won't even consider you if you don't have a PhD in something.

Do you have a PhD, that is your first among many hurdles?

If by "PhD" you mean "I can read and study and do research", yes. Otherwise, no.

mdinaz

Sorry, guys-- which "elitist snobs in academia" did you mean? I am a retired academic!

As you know, a lot of great books are written by journalists or simply independent scholars, usually for a less elite snobbish audience. I doubt that most of the journalists have doctorates. Academic presses are also in business, so while a distinguished author can be more assured of acceptance, a super topic by someone else would be of interest to them. But they do have particular things that they do and do not publish.

The idea is to choose your market, read the best work in that field, and then understand how publishing works. It is possible to self-publish, but books get a whole lot better via an editor. Anymore, e-books and websites are becoming more popular than paper books.

But writing a history or biography does take some knowledge of those fields, which hopefully you've got. If you can combine that knowledge with some chart interpretation, you should get some great insights.

Sorry waybread, not trying to insult anyone. I have a great amount of time and effort put into researching various topics I'm interested in, without having graced a classroom. I'm self taught in most things I've done and I'm not of the idea that one is necessarily more knowledgeable or capable just because they sat through an academic self-sanctioned course. I've had a great number of discussions with academics and graduate students on a number of topics, and while some certainly epitomize what you would expect an academic to be (an expert in a field), I've found a fair number are still incredibly incompetent or lacking in critical thinking skills - they can memorize and regurgitate, but cannot apply and extrapolate and cannot debate their way out of a wet paper bag. On the other hand I know people who barely made it past high school and yet I would consider them experts in their field equal to any academic.

As Zarathu pointed out, I'm neither a PhD nor an academic or journalist in any fashion. I have self published and am a very good editor and have edited for other people. I've also done a great deal of technical writing in the military and the corporate world, despite not being blessed by some academic as being worthy the task.

Any tome I would write would likely have to be self-published unless some astrological publishing house found an interest. I have no problem with self-publishing and in many ways it can be preferable to using an established publisher. The only real drawback is the initial outlay of money. I have several friends who are traditionally published and their experiences are what I would consider "less than satisfactory".

Jesse Booth

But without an academic education, you might end up like any number of uneducated non-collegiates throughout history! You know, like Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain, or Andrew Carnegie! Or even worse, you might be one of those college dropouts like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs!

While an advanced degree is usually a great help for anyone's career, they always pale in comparison to experience. Higher education will always be a crucial stepping stone to success, but if you already know how to write a book and how to research the information you need, lacking a PhD shouldn't faze you for a second. Forget about those elitist snobs, they'll probably be too bust seducing barely-legal impressionable teen girls with some soppy whining about the evils of capitalism, or how starving children in India is totally the fault of evil Republicans. Please write that book soon, I really want to read it.

And it might be neat to talk to Hitler's ghost. I'd like to ask him what it's like being picked for Time Magazine's 1938 Man of the Year.

mdinaz

I think sometimes an advanced degree is a hindrance to your career. In my industry, two people with identical experience but one has a BS and the other a Masters - the BS will get hired because they can pay him less and a masters isn't necessary for most jobs.

Yanel

But without an academic education, you might end up like any number of uneducated non-collegiates throughout history!
I didn't understand your point - what is the bad thing abot not having an academic education and being a historical figure?

I agree that higher education will not be of any help if you already know how to do something. For a normal career - yes, it's better to pursue it but for an innate talent you're born with and develop and use on your own - don't even bother. Even high school in my country is not useful for anyone. Stupid communist educational system that tells people they should know everything while repressing their inner call and true abilities and not teaching people anything useful for life or even career.

mdinaz

I didn't understand your point - what is the bad thing abot not having an academic education and being a historical figure?

It was a sarcastic comment - the people he listed were "uneducated" yet are renown throughout history for their greatness and accomplishments. The point - formal education is great but doesn't guarantee anything nor is it an absolute indicator of ability.

waybread

I believe Jesse is a high school student.

Educational standards have changed since the mid-19th century.

Universities these days have strict regulations about faculty-student affairs. Professors can get fired for this sort of thing today.

There are many different kinds of publishing. Most of them are not academically-oriented. The Ph. D. thing is a red herring.

Should we get this thread back on topic?

Last edited:

Jesse Booth

But we are on topic! A moderator snipped off a cutting from the original thread once we turned it into a giant roast of acedemia, and transplanted it onto a different thread name, much like with growing a new tree from a small branch you cut off the original. The last time this happened was when my constant volley of off-topic comedy got "lack of water in my chart" turned into "random astrological comments." Hey Yanel, that's how we first met up with Lucius22 and StillConfused! All hail The Nerd Herd! Hail hail! Hail yes!

dr. farr

We can't make sweeping generalizations about any subject or level of society, and still be on firm ground relative to accuracy: sure there are a lot of "bums" in academia-just like in anything (including astrology)-but there are also a lot of sincere, open-minded, dedicated people there as well (just like in astrology too): too often its the arrogant, renown-seeking egotistical "bums" that get the attention-fortunately, such people are pretty much in the minority, in any and all fields, including academia (and astrology)...

Jesse Booth

Are you insinuating that I am an egotistical bum of the astrological community?

images

I'd say that's an accurate appraisal!

images

That's probably my own personal insecurities putting words into your mouth and reading too far into things, though.

images

To be honest, I feel like I don't know enough about relational and horary astrology(my chosen fields of astrological study) yet to comfortably post actual advice, so I end up spending an unhealthy amount of time on the general chat section. I apologize if I seem like a nuisance at times, and I'm sure I do. Yes, I'm aware that this forum is specifically meant to help novices like myself get more comfortable with our knowledge and to expand it as much as we can, but I still don't want to risk giving someone faulty or insufficient advice.