Abusing Astrology

Darth MI

A while before I joined this site I made some threads bashing astrology. Lets just say I was incredibly at a loss of words of how people refer to astrology as though it were some bible ALMOST EVERYTIME. One example is how in some astrology communities, people keep pointing at one person's chart for every posts he make or actions he does. For example a person loses it and starts cussing on a forum board? Blame it on his Mercury in Aries (despite the fact some users are flamebaiting him). Failing your tests at school? Blame it on hard aspects towards your Mercury despite the fact you don't study days before a test. Have an aggressive relationship with your parents? Blame it on a 4th house Mars rather than talking to your parents and trying to work i out.

I can go on and on. In fact if I can find these threads from my deleted Yahoo Answers account I'd post it on this site to get some feedback. SOme of them I admit are quite aggressive but thats because I am so shocked beyond words of how people keep saying "its my moon in Aries thats making me hit my mom" yadda yadda yadda yadda you get the point so I will just link them online if I can find them to avoid breaking site rules.

I am curious though what do you think of how many people abuse astrology especially in online forums? I am not lying in many sites users keep pointing out to their natal chart why they are introverted and socially awkward blah blah blah and its more irritating how they don't bother trying to resolve their issues after learning of it through astrology or how they point why a person keeps trolling online is because of his Aries dominant chart yadda yadda yadda.

You may have seen some seemingly aggressive tone to my posts but I'm not bashing astrology but I am still have bitter tongue from what I witnessed in the online astrology community in general. Because I'm not lying people use astrology to the point of nonsense.

mdinaz

Like anything else, maturity, class and tact all come into play. I think for the most part everyone on this forum has acted with maturity and class and the forum moderators do an excellent job of keeping it so. You can use your natal chart as an excuse for this or that but if you make no effort to resolve it, then that is just plain immaturity. Many of us here have 20+ years experience, some double that. You won't see that sort of behavior from us - but we expect the same from you.

Darth MI

Like anything else, maturity, class and tact all come into play. I think for the most part everyone on this forum has acted with maturity and class and the forum moderators do an excellent job of keeping it so. You can use your natal chart as an excuse for this or that but if you make no effort to resolve it, then that is just plain immaturity. Many of us here have 20+ years experience, some double that. You won't see that sort of behavior from us - but we expect the same from you.

YES I can tell from y time here. In other astrology communities for example users point out to a person's natal chart for the reason why he got banned (aggressive aspects and Aries dominated chart led him to cuss out at other users)....... IGNORING the fact they FLAMEBAITED the same banned user.

Another example is in a website where a girl stated she HATED being Cappy Sun and Virgo Asc because it makes her introverted and wish she was Libra of fire sign instead and she doesn't bother to attempt to alter her personality a la the RPG theory I have for using natal charts I published a while back. FRANKLY its her fault because she stays home all day instead of doing more social activities.

I can go on and on (FACEPALMS).

Zarathu

Account Closed
OK.... this is my opinion....

I have been studying astrology actively for 45 years in this life. I have studied esoteric astrology and exoteric astrology, and an currently writing a giant tome entitled THE SEVEN QUOTIENTS OF ASTROLOGICAL COUNSELING©.

My view point here hinges on a three assumptions I make after long study:

1. Astrology is blueprint of your life. It may be the language of GOD, or not, but it clearly describes everything about you, as well as all the challenges that you will face through out your life. You, when you were a non-corporeal being, designed this sequence so that you could learn more and grow, and increase your abilities to help your peers, and advance the human race a little bit at a time, not the least also of advancing all the other hierarchies of being around you.

2. So while one might be able to ascribe everyday things that happen to astrology, I don't go that far. Astrology is not FATE, IMO. Humans have free will. Well, its a little bit more complicated than that. IMO, when you first incarnate you don't have much free will because you don't have much will. As you get more and more incarnations under your belt, you have more and more options, and free will increases. But as the mid point is reached and you enter the path of discipleship and then the path of initiation(this takes one back to a study of esoteric astrology), the level of free will appears to increase dramatically as one's awareness of the world increases dramatically, but in reality constraints on free will drop back finally to almost nothing as you approach the third human initiation, shown as the Epiphany or Transfiguration in the New Testament.

3. IMO, astrology is simply an incredibly complicated alphabet of the workings of the universe. For thousands of years humans have been learning to read signs around them. Many thousands of years ago they discovered that movements in the heavens seemed to mysteriously be linked to thoughts, feelings, actions of humans and of the circumstances around(weather, earthquakes, and stock market are three non-human connections). So do I believe that Mars in Aries makes you angry? Hail No! I just know that there are signs, just like signs on the highways. Just because in the USA it says 65MPH for a speed limit, does that mean that the sign makes you drive 65mph. Nope, you have free will. But the sign suggests that if you exceed this by too much the chance of you returning home with the same number of pieces of yourself that you started with lessens.

I'm not sure that this answered your question.

sankarshana

http://www.astrowin.org/php_scripts/Doris_Chase_Doane.pdf
Please read first two pages. That should help the people overusing astrology.
I find the first two pages more inspirational than astrological. I use it as one of the best inspirational quotes. Another inspirational quote is “I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.”― Henry David Thoreau "

Everything needs to be in moderation even dependence on astrology. That moderation needs to be enforced consciously by the person himself. Astrology only shows the sign flags on the way to our goal. It won't take us there without our effort. Astrology may be used for important things in life. Some people overuse astrology like many other things in our lives.

Everybody needs to become mature/grow/realize things at their own natural pace. Environment may help in this regard in variety of ways.All the difficulties in our lives are chances to improve our wisdom and maturity.

if the pdf does not open, we can open this web page.

http://www.examiner.com/article/astrology-reveals-character-and-character-is-destiny

No amount of thanks are enough for the real author of the philosophy of astrology. I am not the author. I am not an astrologer by the way.

Last edited:

junoisuppose

A while before I joined this site I made some threads bashing astrology. Lets just say I was incredibly at a loss of words of how people refer to astrology as though it were some bible ALMOST EVERYTIME. One example is how in some astrology communities, people keep pointing at one person's chart for every posts he make or actions he does. For example a person loses it and starts cussing on a forum board? Blame it on his Mercury in Aries (despite the fact some users are flamebaiting him). Failing your tests at school? Blame it on hard aspects towards your Mercury despite the fact you don't study days before a test. Have an aggressive relationship with your parents? Blame it on a 4th house Mars rather than talking to your parents and trying to work i out.

It is possible that those comments "that's because he has mars square mercury" "mars in the 4th" etc are a) not 100% serious but tongue in cheek or b) merely pointing out the way a person with that aspect reacts not excusing or attributing the cause of behaviour to that aspect - faced with exactly the same provocation a mercury square venus in aries will react differently to a mercury in cancer trine neptune, a mercury in virgo square uranus or a mercury in pisces conjunct mars.

& I don't think that a 4th house mars would mean an aggressive relationship with your parents - that would more likely be mars square MC/IC line or square one of the significators for your parents. Whether it would be possible to talk to one's parents or not would depend on whether the significator of your house of communication was strong or debilitated and in mutual reception with the significator of that particular parent, or would depend on the composite you have with the chart of that particular parent, which may inhibit communication between the two of you. Failing at school wouldn't be caused by hard aspects to mercury any more than not studying, but the chart can show a person who is more interested in sports or art than academic study, so that may be why they didn't study, because it doesn't interest them and that is not where their talents and life path lie. The same way does not fit everyone and it is useless to try to impose our values on others.

And despite having said that I do agree with what has been written above. We have free will. The first step in modifying problematic behaviour is becoming aware of it, if we are going through a particular transit when a planet hits our mars for example knowing that that transit was what happened to us today gives us the opportunity to look at how our mars acts, if we don't like how we acted we can change our behaviour, or try to. Plus knowing our personal chart potentials and weaknesses gives us more information about when these reactions will be triggered, by which kind of situations and which kind of people.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

It is possible that those comments "that's because he has mars square mercury" "mars in the 4th" etc are a) not 100% serious but tongue in cheek or b) merely pointing out the way a person with that aspect reacts not excusing or attributing the cause of behaviour to that aspect - faced with exactly the same provocation a mercury square venus in aries will react differently to a mercury in cancer trine neptune, a mercury in virgo square uranus or a mercury in pisces conjunct mars.

& I don't think that a 4th house mars would mean an aggressive relationship with your parents - that would more likely be mars square MC/IC line or square one of the significators for your parents. Whether it would be possible to talk to one's parents or not would depend on whether the significator of your house of communication was strong or debilitated and in mutual reception with the significator of that particular parent, or would depend on the composite you have with the chart of that particular parent, which may inhibit communication between the two of you. Failing at school wouldn't be caused by hard aspects to mercury any more than not studying, but the chart can show a person who is more interested in sports or art than academic study, so that may be why they didn't study, because it doesn't interest them and that is not where their talents and life path lie. The same way does not fit everyone and it is useless to try to impose our values on others.

And despite having said that I do agree with what has been written above. We have free will. The first step in modifying problematic behaviour is becoming aware of it, if we are going through a particular transit when a planet hits our mars for example knowing that that transit was what happened to us today gives us the opportunity to look at how our mars acts, if we don't like how we acted we can change our behaviour, or try to. Plus knowing our personal chart potentials and weaknesses gives us more information about when these reactions will be triggered, by which kind of situations and which kind of people.
All of which highlights that 'cookbook astrology' also known as 'one-size-fits-all astrology is unreliable :smile:

Errors occur when the sign occupied by Mars
And the ruling planet of the sign occupied by Mars
and their aspects to other natal planets are ignored

i.e. it matters whether:

Mars in 4th is in Aries whose traditional ruler is Mars
or
Taurus whose traditional ruler is Venus
or
Gemini whose traditional ruler is Mercury
or
Cancer whose traditional ruler is the Moon
or