5 questions for you astrologers...

Jeremy

Whoa, lots of damaged pride here today, despite all the talk though I like it here a lot, most everyone has been very friendly and I've learned a great deal.

In the spirit of furthering my edification then, here are 5 questions that have been bugging me, so if anyone feels like helping a guy out, I would be grateful indeed;

1. The sign on the house cusp is generally accepted to rule the affairs of that house, especially if the house contains no planets; how much does this still apply if the house cusp is at 29 degrees of the sign, only one degree of the house will be covered by that sign with a whole 29 degrees in the next sign, so what is the rule here?
  2. Rising planets are self-evidently important; what does Chiron rising do?
  3. What, if anything, does a void of course moon signify in a natal?
  4. Does an opposition in detriment have greater potential than a mundane opposition? For example Sun in Libra and Saturn in Aries, as opposed to Sun in Virgo and Mars in Pisces?
  5. What is the effect of a planet descending?
Of course two of these questions are of personal interest to me, but the others are just questions that I am uncertain of, or actually don't really have a clue, so please share your wisdom :)

Jeremy

Arian Maverick

Oh wow--these are some very insightful questions!

I'm feeling a bit worn from the day's events, but I'm going to take a quick stab at a few of the questions.

The sign on the house cusp is generally accepted to rule the affairs of that house, especially if the house contains no planets; how much does this still apply if the house cusp is at 29 degrees of the sign, only one degree of the house will be covered by that sign with a whole 29 degrees in the next sign, so what is the rule here?

I don't think there's any hard-and-fast rule that applies in this situation, especially because one must also take into account whether a pair of signs is intercepted within an opposite pair of houses or if the sign is duplicated on another house cusp.

Also, if a sign is intercepted, one should also consider whether there are any planets located in this intercepted sign. I imagine that an intercepted Sun in Leo or an intercepted Moon in Cancer would be particularly interested because each of these planets is the ruler of only one sign, and although both of these placements are extremely strong, the Sun or the Moon would not rule ANY house cusp in such a situation.

My understanding thus far has been that the ruler of a particular house is the most important

Does an opposition in detriment have greater potential than a mundane opposition? For example Sun in Libra and Saturn in Aries, as opposed to Sun in Virgo and Mars in Pisces?

I don't know about having greater potential, yet the example you gave of Sun in Libra and Saturn in Aries would be an example of mutual reception because the Sun is exalted in Aries and Saturn is exalted in Libra. Therefore, each of these planets would be given an extra helpful boost, and if the planets actually contacted each other by aspect, I imagine that the influence would be even more powerful--although the polarity may be highlighted to a greater extent.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Culpeper

Premium Member
I will try some of these questions. Planets in the descending house, the 7th, first of all represent marriage or the spouse of the native. Benefic planets here or a good house ruler would indicate a happy marriage otherwise something else. This house can also be used to evaluate business partners. If you have enemies, then malefics in the 7th are a real problem. In traditional astrology the 7th represents old age or the last third of life. Jupiter here would indicate a pleasant retirement.

Chiron is not something I use, but in Chiron by Barbara Hand Clow she discribes those with Chiron rising as professional healers, New Age teachers, charismatic, and mystics. They find it impossible to be just ordinary.

According to the Astrology Encyclopedia by James R. Lewis, one in twelve people have void of course Moon in their natal chart. Among celebrities it is one in eight. VOC does not appear to hinder achievement and may even be an advantage.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The sign on the house cusp is generally accepted to rule the affairs of that house, especially if the house contains no planets; how much does this still apply if the house cusp is at 29 degrees of the sign, only one degree of the house will be covered by that sign with a whole 29 degrees in the next sign, so what is the rule here?

Traditionally, this house would still be lorded by whatever planet rules the Sign that cusp is on the 29th degree of. Regardless of whether there are intercepted Signs or not. The cusp is on the 29th degree for a reason, so that Sign is probably very important and shouldn't be so overlooked. Modernly there is probably some leeway and lords of intercepted Signs are usually taken into consideration, but I cannot comment on that without showing my ignorance.

Rising planets are self-evidently important; what does Chiron rising do?

Nothing. Opinions on Chiron are mixed; ranging from hugely important and ruling a Sign to completely insigificant. However, Chiron is not compatible with traditional philosophy whereas other new spheres are.

What, if anything, does a void of course moon signify in a natal?

I agree with Culpeper in that I've never seen any indication of a hinderance of a person via their natal VOC Luna in the same way one would in such things as Event, Horary, or Electional astrology. I've never even seen this particular placement mentioned in any sort of natal text. I don't think it counts.

Does an opposition in detriment have greater potential than a mundane opposition? For example Sun in Libra and Saturn in Aries, as opposed to Sun in Virgo and Mars in Pisces?

Neither Sol nor Mars are detrimented in Virgo or Pisces. o_O' Arian tackled this one quite well...

What is the effect of a planet descending?

And Culpeper handled this one nicely as well.

:) Anything else?

Jeremy

I have found these answers very helpful, thank you all.
With regard to question 1, I am maybe still a little confused by the idea of interceptions. I have (for example) the sign of Aries completely enclosed within my 7th house (by Campanus anyway) with 29° Pisces being the beginning of the 7th and 2° Taurus being the beginning of the 8th. By the same token my 9th house begins and ends within Gemini; evidently Libra in the first and the 3rd in Sagittarius works the same way. It is very interesting.
The major point of influence that I see though is my 6th house; specifically in relation to my work. When I first left home I worked in catering and eventually found myself pulling pints in a country pub; a very Piscean occupation due to Neptune and alcohol, having said that the sign on the cusp of my 6th house is Aquarius and after I went back to University, I spent many years working as a computer programmer, so both seem relevant. If I have this right, the ruler of my 10th is in the 2nd; so I don’t entirely know how that relates to my career. I did have a very successful career for a long time up until recently. I know that people place a great deal of importance on house rulers, so I am inclined to take that view seriously, but I still feel as if I am missing some understanding! I will keep working on it of course.
My aunt, for example, has Cancer on the 6th with the Moon in the 10th; she is a very successful antique dealer and is well known throughout the area because of her business; so that is very intriguing and seems textbook.
Thus would it be fair to say that if the ruler of the 6th was in the 12th then work may bring sorrow and disappointments?

I ask the question about Chiron rising primarily because my daughter has it; she has nothing else rising either, or anywhere near the Asc. But she is bizarrely Centaur-like in some strange manner. She is extremely strong, without being remotely bulky and she has this way of carrying herself with a very straight back; it’s actually quite uncanny; she has great skill at archery too, it goes without saying... I am not sure what other Chirotic tendencies she may develop as she grows older, but I have a case study so I will see how things progress. My daughter also has a VOC Moon, so I was just curious...

My example of an opposition in detriment cited Sun in Virgo and Mars in Pisces as an example of an opposition that was not in detriment specifically as a contrast to Sun in Libra opposing Saturn in Aries which is; interesting feedback though, I was always of the opinion that a Mutual Reception only occurred in the sign of rulership, not exaltation, although logically exaltation is arguably more favourable than rulership, so it perhaps ought to work that way. I am particularly buoyed by this insight because ‘on paper’ this appears to be my worst configuration even though it doesn’t really feel so bad in practise, and if the opposition does mutually receive then that might explain it. This as much as anything else occupies my thoughts when I am looking at my own chart, because it seems relevant for a bunch of reasons. Anyhow, it’s very helpful.

I learn so much on this forum!
Sincerely, thank you all. I do have more questions, maybe I will post them later :)

tsquare

According to the Astrology Encyclopedia by James R. Lewis, one in twelve people have void of course Moon in their natal chart. Among celebrities it is one in eight. VOC does not appear to hinder achievement and may even be an advantage.

Interesting Culpeper, thank you, I have to look into this VOC stuff.
haven't looked at that book as well, thank you for the refferance.

Jeremy

One other thing occurred to me too after reading these answers.

The consensus on planets descending seems to be then that it distils the affairs of the 7th house in the same way that planets conjunct the Asc are a hotspot for the 1st house. This to me would suggest that anything on the descendant would be drawn to the 7th house even if it was found at the very end of the 6th? This is quite clear in the case of the Asc, where planets just under rising seem to bubble under the surface of the point of expression. I guess that the same would then be true of anything conjunct the MC in the 9th or even the IC in the third? It has interesting implications of course.

The Descendant has a Jungian connotation as well, if the Ascendant is that which we are compelled to express, then the Descendant is that which we cannot express and thus it is what we externalise. Jung called this the Other I think.

No surprise that we externalise the Other, embody it in a spouse or partner.

Just a thought.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
With regard to question 1, I am maybe still a little confused by the idea of interceptions. I have (for example) the sign of Aries completely enclosed within my 7th house (by Campanus anyway) with 29° Pisces being the beginning of the 7th and 2° Taurus being the beginning of the 8th. By the same token my 9th house begins and ends within Gemini; evidently Libra in the first and the 3rd in Sagittarius works the same way. It is very interesting.

I have Aries intercepted in my First and Libra in my Seventh. I've judged that these Signs just weren't that important for myself, so were not given a house to lord over, leaving my Venus and Mars to focus completely on one house, while allowing Jupiter and Mercury to hold three each. The sky decided I needed the latter pair more than the former.

The major point of influence that I see though is my 6th house; specifically in relation to my work. When I first left home I worked in catering and eventually found myself pulling pints in a country pub; a very Piscean occupation due to Neptune and alcohol, having said that the sign on the cusp of my 6th house is Aquarius

The Sixth house is not about carrer and occupation. That's the Tenth.

Thus would it be fair to say that if the ruler of the 6th was in the 12th then work may bring sorrow and disappointments?

Most things in those two houses bring much toil. It's just the nature of the house.

I ask the question about Chiron rising primarily because my daughter has it; she has nothing else rising either, or anywhere near the Asc. But she is bizarrely Centaur-like in some strange manner. She is extremely strong, without being remotely bulky and she has this way of carrying herself with a very straight back; it’s actually quite uncanny; she has great skill at archery too, it goes without saying... I am not sure what other Chirotic tendencies she may develop as she grows older, but I have a case study so I will see how things progress. My daughter also has a VOC Moon, so I was just curious...

It might be a better idea to ascertain the identity and strength of her Ascendant ruler for these significations before we start connecting them to other things.

The consensus on planets descending seems to be then that it distils the affairs of the 7th house in the same way that planets conjunct the Asc are a hotspot for the 1st house. This to me would suggest that anything on the descendant would be drawn to the 7th house even if it was found at the very end of the 6th? This is quite clear in the case of the Asc, where planets just under rising seem to bubble under the surface of the point of expression. I guess that the same would then be true of anything conjunct the MC in the 9th or even the IC in the third? It has interesting implications of course.

The house cusps are given orbs similar to non-luminous objects. That's 5°. So, any planet that is 5° or less ahead of the cusp of a house is within that house cusp. This orb pulls the planet into that house. So, my Luna at 15° Leo is pulled into the Sixth house by being conjoined to the 16° Leonine Sixth house cusp.

EJ53

Banned
Seems to me that traditional astrology gives the best answers to the questions on this thread, but my (modern astrology) twopence worth is as follows :-

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
I have Aries intercepted in my First and Libra in my Seventh. I've judged that these Signs just weren't that important for myself, so were not given a house to lord over, leaving my Venus and Mars to focus completely on one house, while allowing Jupiter and Mercury to hold three each. The sky decided I needed the latter pair more than the former.

This seems sound to me.

And, a chart with intercepted signs always has intercepted houses which indicate a problem that must be overcome/resolved in order to realise/release the benefits of those intercepted signs. The lower intercepted house shows the problem from the past and the higher intercepted house shows how the problem is affecting the present.

The Sixth house is not about carrer and occupation. That's the Tenth.

Yes. But, the 6th house is about everyday work that is not career-related. So, "pulling pints" is Ok here - as it is a job rather than a career.

It might be a better idea to ascertain the identity and strength of her Ascendant ruler for these significations before we start connecting them to other things.

Yes. But Culpepper's comment on Chiron Rising seems sound.

The house cusps are given orbs similar to non-luminous objects. That's 5°. So, any planet that is 5° or less ahead of the cusp of a house is within that house cusp. This orb pulls the planet into that house. So, my Luna at 15° Leo is pulled into the Sixth house by being conjoined to the 16° Leonine Sixth house cusp.

For me, this traditional concept should be applied in modern astrology.

Traditionally, this house would still be lorded by whatever planet rules the Sign that cusp is on the 29th degree of. Regardless of whether there are intercepted Signs or not. The cusp is on the 29th degree for a reason, so that Sign is probably very important and shouldn't be so overlooked.

I agree fully.

Modernly there is probably some leeway and lords of intercepted Signs are usually taken into consideration, but I cannot comment on that without showing my ignorance.

Some modern astrologers do indeed look at the rulers of intercepted signs as well as the ruler of the sign on the house cusp.

EJ:)

Jeremy

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
Thank you Kaiousei, you remind me that I am getting carried away and you are absolutely correct. Her ascendant is Virgo, traditionally then her Asc. ruler is Mercury in Taurus, you can see for yourself here: http://www.sallieneal.com/gchart.gif although I am mindful of the likes of Melanie Reinhart who are promoting the view that Virgo is ruled by (you know it) Chiron!

This is something that I've thought about myself, not least because Mercury seems much better suited to Gemini; oh I know I don't need to discuss why right here! I would be intrigued to hear your thoughts? And thank you again for your insights, they are more than helpful; both your and EJ's observations about intercepted signs and houses are a real insight for me.

Peace, Jeremy

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
EJ53 said:
Yes. But, the 6th house is about everyday work that is not career-related. So, "pulling pints" is Ok here - as it is a job rather than a career.

Perhaps, but it is something someone is getting paid for and tipped for. At least, I assume that's the case. Sixth/Tenth house differentiations are sometimes subtle, but I don't think this is the place to discuss this.

For me, this traditional concept should be applied in modern astrology.

It usually is. I know astro.com uses it in their reports.

As for your daughter's chart, Jeremy. Chiron isn't even in the Sign Ascending, so I'm not sure it would have much affect over the Ascendant. I've seen cases where Vesta and Saturn on the Ascendant have caused blockage at birth, but not when they were not in the Sign Ascending. Are you sure you aren't getting the Chironic influences confused with her Sagittarian Luna?

I am mindful of the likes of Melanie Reinhart who are promoting the view that Virgo is ruled by (you know it) Chiron!

There is also a camp that suggests Chiron rules himself as Sagittarius.

This is something that I've thought about myself, not least because Mercury seems much better suited to Gemini; oh I know I don't need to discuss why right here!

Traditionally, Mercury prefers Virgo to Gemini.

Jeremy

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
As for your daughter's chart, Jeremy. Chiron isn't even in the Sign Ascending, so I'm not sure it would have much affect over the Ascendant. I've seen cases where Vesta and Saturn on the Ascendant have caused blockage at birth, but not when they were not in the Sign Ascending. Are you sure you aren't getting the Chironic influences confused with her Sagittarian Luna?
Okay, I see your point and of course that may well be true, although my understanding of the first house is that it - to some extent at least - shapes the body; I never considered out of sign planets in the first particularly, but it is something I shall certainly bear in mind in future. I am here to learn of course and I am certainly doing that :) Do you think then that 12th house planets conjunct the Ascendant will have an influence on the appearance? I say this because I have a 29 Virgo ascendant with Uranus and Pluto conjunct but in the 12th. I also have Sun in Libra in the first but not conjunct the Ascendant. I can relate quite well to descriptions of appearance based both on Virgo rising and Sun in Libra in the first; maybe the Sun though is a special case?

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
There is also a camp that suggests Chiron rules himself as Sagittarius.
You are quite correct; ruled by Sagittarius, exalted in Virgo; according to Melanie Reinhart, my mistake here :)

Moderator Edit: Don't be alarmed; I just fixed a broken quote ;)

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
Traditionally, Mercury prefers Virgo to Gemini.
That is interesting to me, my own feeling -minformed only by my own (no doubt uncertain) grasp of things and themes - is that the quicksilver nature of Mercury is much more Geminian than it is methodical and precise and practical; I am not trying to assert a heresy particularly, I have always felt that Virgo just doesn't quite fit somehow. I make no particular claim to authority though, as is probably clear from this entire thread!

Thanks friend.
Jeremy

mdinaz

Jeremy said:
  1. The sign on the house cusp is generally accepted to rule the affairs of that house, especially if the house contains no planets; how much does this still apply if the house cusp is at 29 degrees of the sign, only one degree of the house will be covered by that sign with a whole 29 degrees in the next sign, so what is the rule here?
  2. Rising planets are self-evidently important; what does Chiron rising do?
  3. What, if anything, does a void of course moon signify in a natal?
  4. Does an opposition in detriment have greater potential than a mundane opposition? For example Sun in Libra and Saturn in Aries, as opposed to Sun in Virgo and Mars in Pisces?
  5. What is the effect of a planet descending?

My two cents.

1. A cusp on a late degree indicates that the house in question will A) be colored by both signs and the placement of both house rulers will give influence; and B) that area of a person's life will tend to be chaotic and unsettled and is an area of life that needs attention, more so than others.

2. Chiron rising, if aspected positively, gives one great healing ability. Negatively, one is too wrapped up in their own wounds and issues (a whiner). Theoretically, the best healers are those who can empathize and relate to their clients - we've all been wounded at some point, and whatever wounds we suffer are the areas we can best help others, because we have experience there. However, some people take on "victim" status and can never help or heal others because they're too wrapped up in their own wounds to care about others.

3. I would think that a VOC moon in a natal chart (the moon no longer makes applying major aspects to any planet) indicates a person who is more emotionally detached or does not get emotionally wrapped up in others problems. If the moon is in signs such as Virgo or Taurus (instead of say Cancer or Pisces) the detachment would be even more pronounced. I don't think it would have any affect on whether a person is "successful" or not, but would certainly impede their ability to empathize.

4. In theory, I suppose, but it also depends on any other aspects to those same planets and their house position. A planet may be in detriment, but may still be in its home position (Saturn in Cancer, but in the 10th), thus giving it some power. It may also be in detriment but have trines to two other planets, while the mundane opposition may be in square to two other planets. Which one is worse?

5. No effect. Most of my planets are decending, I guess that makes me a night owl. It also makes me more of a behind-the-scenes guy rather than center stage. But on any particular planet - not much.

As for interceptions, they indicate an area that does not have expression in the area of life indicated. For instance, if you have Aries intercepted in the 7th house, that indicates that you may not take action with regards to intimate relationships or with employers. You may be someone who gets walked on in those sorts of relationships. So you look to Mars and its position for clues on how to express that energy. If Mars is also in Aries and intercepted, then you'll have to find alternate avenues to deal with that problem. If Libra is intercepted in the 7th, you lack balance in your relationships - perhaps they're always one-sided, where one person does all the work, etc. If Capricorn is intercepted in the 2nd, you lack discipline with your finances, and cannot manage your money and property, for example.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I also have Sun in Libra in the first but not conjunct the Ascendant. I can relate quite well to descriptions of appearance based both on Virgo rising and Sun in Libra in the first; maybe the Sun though is a special case?

Sol and Luna also shape our appearance.

You are quite correct; ruled by Sagittarius, exalted in Virgo; according to Melanie Reinhart, my mistake here

Why exalted in Virgo? Is Chiron dry and cooling too?

That is interesting to me, my own feeling -minformed only by my own (no doubt uncertain) grasp of things and themes - is that the quicksilver nature of Mercury is much more Geminian than it is methodical and precise and practical; I am not trying to assert a heresy particularly, I have always felt that Virgo just doesn't quite fit somehow. I make no particular claim to authority though, as is probably clear from this entire thread!

Mercury prefers Virgo as it keeps to its natural relationship with Sol. One Sign away at max. Virgo is one Sign away from Sol's home of Leo, whereas Gemini is two Signs away from Sol's home, which is impossible for Mercury to mimic.

mdinaz said:
If Libra is intercepted in the 7th, you lack balance in your relationships - perhaps they're always one-sided, where one person does all the work, etc.

OUCH! Right through the heart! :D

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
jeremy and all,
Just putting in my two cents worth too!
Re: chiron in house one.....Yes when looking at a natal I would most definitely take a close look at a first house chiron and aspects to it. I have this placement myself and for me it has played out in two ways- I have worked as a professional healer and I have also suffered severe physical injuries-almost *mortal wounds*....So chiron is an energy that can be used to heal ones own wounds as well as those of others.
Re: Void of course moon in a natal. I know an elderly person with this situation-hers is lost in the fourth house of her chart...her life has had no direction, she has seldom left her home actually.There are other aspects though in her chart that contribute to this *rudderless ship* idea...so it may not only be the void moon at work there.She has many emotional problems, and her feelings often seem to be *stuck* in the past-her moon is void at the end of cancer.
Cheers Lillyjgc

Frisiangal

Jeremy
2.Rising planets are self-evidently important; what does Chiron rising do?

Mention has been made of whether Chiron 'works' or not. From her post lillyjgc certainly recognises its effect working 'through' her.
IMHO those who have planets conjunct the Ascendant are highly 'tuned' to their vibration. Therefore, as much as I am always in awe of Kaiousei's astrological knowledge, the comments regarding Chiron are only personal opinions and not gospel truth. They don't have to be 'absolutely correct.'

Like lillyjgc I have Chiron rising. It sits on the 12th house side of my Ascendant (with Black Moon Lilith). It makes aspects to the majority of my planets, including a square to Uranus-MC. When I started studying astrology in earnest, one question received no satisfactory answer; 'Where does the almost unbearable inner pain one lives with, as a result of others' actions, come from?' When I started studying medical astrology and was introduced to Chiron, the proverbial penny dropped because I could 'identify' with its significance in a way that no other planetary combination provided.
I'm not medically trained in any way, yet Health astrology has become my passion.....due to a heavy 9th house influence to (Chiron and) the Ascendant? I cannot cure people with a pill or medical treatment but by offering information on 'how they tick' I can hopefully make them more aware of distreesful areas within themselves, so that any eventual sickness can be avoided. If that's being 'a healer', I don't know.

Just for the record, Jeremy, and as you also mentioned, part of my Virgo appearance that has often been remarked upon is that I always walk head up with a very straight back. Chiron on Ascendant or Jupiter in Leo in the 12th.;)

Regarding your daughter's Chiron; with Virgo Ascendant she is likely to be very aware of her (im)perfect appearance. Any mole will, to her, become a mountain of growth.:) With her Chiron in Libra in the 1st house, her 'inner wound' might be that, by comparing herself to others, she will not consider herself 'beautiful'. The sooner she learns that beauty is only skin deep and it's what is inside that counts, the less there will be for her to heal.;)

Frisiangal

memento mori

i hv a question and this topic seems like a place to ask. Would u consider a planet on 0 degrees to hv characteristics of previous sign?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Frisiangal said:
IMHO those who have planets conjunct the Ascendant are highly 'tuned' to their vibration. Therefore, as much as I am always in awe of Kaiousei's astrological knowledge, the comments regarding Chiron are only personal opinions and not gospel truth. They don't have to be 'absolutely correct.'

Yes, definately. Perhaps my first comment on Chiron should have been "take what we say about it with a grain of salt". Some people will offer personal experiance of how an aspect or object works in their chart, while others won't be able to voice any experiance with it. Such is the case with me and my Chiron placement.

memento mori said:
Would u consider a planet on 0 degrees to hv characteristics of previous sign?

No. Planets are where they are for a reason, to consider them to have characteristics of a place they are not stationed is foolish. The planets are where they are for a reason. Or...perhaps I just don't want to give up my exalted Jupiter. ^.^

tsquare

Kaiousei no Senshi,

The signs are said in places to have characteristics of the previous sign ....mabie the individual is noticing that or picking that up somewhat by their placement of their sun and such or any personal planet, mabie even outer...I do not know.....

I call it the bleed effect.....
There is an article in the other branches of astrology board, under tibetan astrology, by Manly P hall, I may have not writen that name right.

It describes this somewhat.....
or at least how this may be possible....
another explanation is sidereal astrology as well, and the fact that a planet at 0 degrees is really in the previous siqn anyway very frequently in natal charts.

This may describe the phenomenon of people finding they identify more with a previous sign, then the one they have by tropical, as well.

I am married to neither Zoidac systems.
Both to me are still interesting.....
But at the same time I do not like to mix them too much.....

Tsquare

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
*shrug* I've never heard of such a phenomenon. The way I think of it, the Signs are boundaries and have distinct significations. They do not have orbs like planets and houses.