Does combustion work if sun is the ASC ruler ?

Voyce

What do you think ?

For example I am examining this chart where mars is combust (6 degrees within sun's range), but the sun is the ruler of the ascendant, so does that make a difference now ?

What your judgment be, as Lilly would put it ?

Tanne

Mars would still be combust - along with any other planets falling under the Sun's rays. If they are in their own domicile then they are protected but still combust. The houses that are ruled by Mars (i.e. Aries, Scorpio and the house that Mars is in) will be affected by the combustion.

Voyce

Thanks for the reply.

There was also a situation in Lilly's book where the sun was also the ASC ruler, and so Lilly was following the path of the sun seeing if it would get into bad aspects along its route thru the sign it was in.

So does this logic that sun is still normal sun apply in that situation as well ? I mean both situations are the same yet different.

Because if it does apply, how would the sun get into bad aspects on the way when it would destroy everything it came in contact with and it wouldn't even matter.

Or did from that perspective sun become just a normal planer ?

What would you say ?

Olivia

When Saturn, or Mars is involved - as a rule, yes. Though in some horaries, they may mean the bringing together of two parties. Still, if one or both of the significators is a malefic, the thing may happen, but it won't be as good as you want it to be, especially in a conjunction.

BobZemco

Conjunctions are always negative??

Usually. Conjunctions can be positive if one Planet receives the other and if they are Planetary Friends, which is rare.

If they are Planetary Enemies and one receives the the other, then it is an uneasy truce, sort of like "I won't kill you because you're standing in my house and you'll bleed out all over my carpet and ruin it, so drink your cup of tea and get lost."

The other part of that is when they are Friends, it is like one Planet giving the other permission to do what they want, and it helps or strengthens them, but when they are Enemies, it implies that one has control over the other.

If they are Friends but neither receives the other, it's like two people stuck in a lift, "What do we now? Let's play 20 Questions. Okay, is it Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?."

Even thought they're friends, they're ineffective and can't really do anything.

SagiCap

Usually. Conjunctions can be positive if one Planet receives the other and if they are Planetary Friends, which is rare.
Thanks.

If they are Planetary Enemies and one receives the the other, then it is an uneasy truce, sort of like "I won't kill you because you're standing in my house and you'll bleed out all over my carpet and ruin it, so drink your cup of tea and get lost."
...and double-thanks for the laugh!!
-So, how do planets NOT receive each other if they are so close as to conjunct? That would have to be in a conjunction on a cusp/in neighboring signs, correct?

The other part of that is when they are Friends, it is like one Planet giving the other permission to do what they want, and it helps or strengthens them, but when they are Enemies, it implies that one has control over the other.

If they are Friends but neither receives the other, it's like two people stuck in a lift, "What do we now? Let's play 20 Questions. Okay, is it Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?."

Even thought they're friends, they're ineffective and can't really do anything.
You have a great way of explaining with the examples, Bob. Thanks so much.

I still think what conjunctions actually pan out to be in real life is very vague. I wish more people would update their horaries with outcomes so we can see practically what the heck a conjunction turns out to be. It can be anything from a phone call to sex to nada.... !

dr. farr

I believe SagiCap is right in her feeling about conjunction-effects in real life; as I have state elsewhere here on AW, the "quality"/"strength" of the (longitudinal) conjunction (and I am referring to partile conjunction) I believe is conditional on a number of other concommitant factors, and I have come to regard the position of each planet in the longitudinal conjunction relative to the ecliptic (its side-of-the
ecliptic declination) to be the most important of these: if both planets are on the same side (North or South), that "strengthens" the longitudinal conjunction and its implications/ramifications; if on opposite side, that "weakens" the conjunction influences: along these lines I also have come to consider that if the conjunct planets are also in parallel or either declination or latitude, that conjunction is amped up; but if the conjunct planets are also contra-parallel, that conjunction's influence is diminished (in some cases I have looked at, significantly so)
I have no historical literature sources to "authorize" this outlook, it is my own, but over the years I have become more and more convinced that I am on the right track...

Spicadilly

On this note, I've just read about combustion in horary and Mars apparently is the only planet not considered being combust when cj the Sun as it is already a hot planet, read somewhere on Skyscript thread. Is that your experience of it?

dr. farr

No-actually just the opposite: Mars burns up fastest because it is hot and dry like the Sun (ancients gave Mars the largest orb for being combust) But of course my understanding of combust is different: when a planet is combust, I consider it "absorbed by the Sun", and use the Sun's indications in place of the combusted planet's, for delineative purposes (say combust Mars is trine Jupiter; I don't just write that aspect off because of Mars combust state: rather I delineate this as SUN trine Jupiter in such a case; and I also consider that whatever planet is combust the Sun, the Sun itself is somewhat "colored" in its quality by that combust planet)