Random Thoughts, strictly Text

conspiracy theorist

I read the patois that has been written on here in the accents of the "Uptown" city demographic, and when they attempt patois I have the urge to stab my eardrums with a knife. It's reminiscent of upper middle class Suburban kids copying rap culture in the United States because it's supposedly cool.

Ukpoohbear

When I went to London for the gig I stayed in a part of London called Peckham and there was a Jamaican culture there, lots of dreadlocks and the accent, stalls with ‘Jamaican Street food’ signage and lots of plantain in the street markets. I don’t think Plantain is specific to Jamaica but it’s an amazingly delicious food like a savoury banana. I had it with some friends from Granada once they cooked it in coconut rice omgggg

Ukpoohbear

Some patois is similar to our slang words. Like rank and renk. Craving meaning greedy, we use it a lot to mean starving.

Why do you say patois and not patwa? I just read patois means an informal language of any kind but patwa or patwah is Jamaican patois.

conspiracy theorist

Lots of cross pollination with British and Jamaican slang. There's also a lot of Irish influence, and it's interesting because sometimes I can hear the similarities in terms of accents and the shape of words.

As to the distinction, it's personal preference.

Ukpoohbear

Well at least the poor class in Jamaica has a cool reputation. Our lower class reputation is a bit of a laughing stock, including our music. Was Bob Marley responsible for putting Jamaican culture on the map? Although I heard he didn’t give much back to the community in terms of money from his own pocket.

I remember once I had to phone a head office in Windsor (a posh part of London) and the woman assumed I was lying and was trying to steal money so she kept fobbing me off even though I was phoning because I hadn’t been paid and the business had shut down. She didn’t believe me for no other reason than my accent being considered so poor I was ‘up to something.’

conspiracy theorist

Well at least the poor class in Jamaica has a cool reputation. Our lower class reputation is a bit of a laughing stock, including our music. Was Bob Marley responsible for putting Jamaican culture on the map? Although I heard he didn’t give much back to the community in terms of money from his own pocket.

I remember once I had to phone a head office in Windsor (a posh part of London) and the woman assumed I was lying and was trying to steal money so she kept fobbing me off even though I was phoning because I hadn’t been paid and the business had shut down. She didn’t believe me for no other reason than my accent being considered so poor I was ‘up to something.’

Jamaica has a reputation for cool globally, but I'd say the social stratification is probably on par with you folks. For instance, you have to have loads of documentations, signage from government sanctioned officials, proof of address etc all for the lowest jobs and the most basic functions, as there is such a low level of trust in the society. That kind of skeptical attitude is here, especially at remittance outlets where every young person is cross-examined as to ensure that they aren't a part of the scamming that goes on in the country. Priority treatment is given to foreigners while Jamaicans **** on their own countrymen, etc.

Is rave and D&B classified as lower class English music? I appreciate bluegrass even if it's not my speed so I'm curious about what the lowest classes of England & the British Isles are listening to.

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Well, as far as I am aware, no one says rave anymore. It’s all about the D&B and techno. Rave is considered 90’s so it may have some relevance because of 90s being in vogue currently. But D&B is considered cool around all the classes because there’s so many festivals about it, although I couldn’t tell you if the upper classes enjoy ‘slumming it’ in order to rebel and take drugs, but it’s pretty much mainstream here.