Cancer Sun

lazarusx

So obviously my Sun is in Cancer.. but this is one sign that i've had alot of trouble acknowledging any redeeming qualities especially as a male.

Granted my sun conjuncts chiron and is in opposition to multiple planetary heavyweights i just can't seem to identify with the sensitive/nurturing side, perhaps i am deliberately disowning these qualities. It just seems like such a 'weak' position for the Sun.. it may be unrelated but i've had massive identity issues that i just cant find a resolve for.

Is it just me or is everything and anything i read about Sun in Cancer seem to have this melancholic feel to it, i understand its a feminine sign and of yin polarity; but i struggle to see the positive's especially for a male.

I can post my chart; but im more curious about others interpretations or experiences of specifically Sun in Cancer.

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    61.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

dude123

Banned
You're more of a Gemini in my opinion...which is why you don't identify with your Cancer sun.

I mean think about it, you got Moon, Mercury, Jupiter, and Ascendant ALL in Gemini!

Wow - we have a LOT of similarities. Cancer sun, Gemini moon. Libra ascendant, which is an air sign like Gemini. Your moon and ascendant make up your subconscious personality, and when they are very different from your sun sign it is often hard to relate to those qualities. Furthermore, you have a Sun-Neptune opposition in your chart - I also have this aspect. It implies a repressed identity in childhood, likely due to a poor grasp of reality or lack of guidance in childhood (or misguidance - I had great parents who TRIED to guide me but they always pushed me towards acting a certain way that just wasn't me, which created a lot of identity/social anxiety in my teenage years.) It is likely that the other oppositions to your Sun suggest difficulties with relating to your identity.

I definitely am not a typical Cancer, and I don't express Cancer qualities in social situations at ALL. I think that the issue with Cancer Sun is, your main focus is on your feelings, whereas Gemini Moon is more about thought and learning. I always change my mind in relationships because even though something feels right, I question whether it really is right. Or somethings I think something is supposed to be right, but the feelings just aren't there. I have had a lifelong battle between my thoughts and my feelings, and they often conflict with each other. I often chose to repress my feelings due to this confusion and over-think everything. Either way, Cancers are one of the hardest signs to tell, because we don't express our Cancer qualities openly, but rather bottle them up (or go into our shell, to go along with the Crab metaphor.) Male Cancers are less likely to take on the "motherly" role that the Cancer female falls into much more easily. Regardless, I think the main thing with a Cancer sun is a focus on feelings/intuition. I have found that in order to find peace with my Cancer/Gemini confliction, I need to follow my intuition, and sometimes turn off my thoughts, and be receptive to my feelings.

Oh also - your Venus and Mars are both in Leo. This masculine energy in your relationships probably largely offsets the femininity of a Cancer. While Cancer by nature is the most feminine, introverted sign you are probably more extroverted due to the firey and airy influences in your chart. My chart is sparse in the fire department, but I do have a lot of airiness as well, which makes me more social than the typical Cancer.

byjove

Account Closed
Yeah, I have to agree with the other members, everyone has pointed out something that I think 'makes you' feel/think how you do. For personal planets, the emphasis really is Gemini and Leo. Can I ask, are you slow/fast shy/forward in these situations:

new people
first date
with family
longtime friends

I'm curious to see where all that extrovert Gemini/Leo energy begins and ends when it meets the Cancer Sun!

p.s. I know what you mean about Cancer qualities. It's my ascendent and I have only half-liked it. I have read with that ascendent at least that it is 'easily coloured' by say the Sun and Moon. I don't know about the Sun though.

lazarusx

You're more of a Gemini in my opinion...which is why you don't identify with your Cancer sun.

I mean think about it, you got Moon, Mercury, Jupiter, and Ascendant ALL in Gemini!

Yeah i have this feeling also.. i guess im trying to understand where my sun comes into all of it, perhaps it's so subtle i don't notice it as much.

Wow - we have a LOT of similarities. Cancer sun, Gemini moon. Libra ascendant, which is an air sign like Gemini. Your moon and ascendant make up your subconscious personality, and when they are very different from your sun sign it is often hard to relate to those qualities. Furthermore, you have a Sun-Neptune opposition in your chart - I also have this aspect. It implies a repressed identity in childhood, likely due to a poor grasp of reality or lack of guidance in childhood (or misguidance - I had great parents who TRIED to guide me but they always pushed me towards acting a certain way that just wasn't me, which created a lot of identity/social anxiety in my teenage years.) It is likely that the other oppositions to your Sun suggest difficulties with relating to your identity.

Yeah, im confident (hah the irony) that those oppositions are creating a great deal of confusion in regards to identity. My parents were also very supportive but in a financial way.. it's difficult to explain but they have always been their to help me but there's no actual 'connection' between myself and them, growing up they were more like people i shared a house with. They are both Air sun signs.

I definitely am not a typical Cancer, and I don't express Cancer qualities in social situations at ALL. I think that the issue with Cancer Sun is, your main focus is on your feelings, whereas Gemini Moon is more about thought and learning. I always change my mind in relationships because even though something feels right, I question whether it really is right. Or somethings I think something is supposed to be right, but the feelings just aren't there. I have had a lifelong battle between my thoughts and my feelings, and they often conflict with each other. I often chose to repress my feelings due to this confusion and over-think everything. Either way, Cancers are one of the hardest signs to tell, because we don't express our Cancer qualities openly, but rather bottle them up (or go into our shell, to go along with the Crab metaphor.) Male Cancers are less likely to take on the "motherly" role that the Cancer female falls into much more easily. Regardless, I think the main thing with a Cancer sun is a focus on feelings/intuition. I have found that in order to find peace with my Cancer/Gemini confliction, I need to follow my intuition, and sometimes turn off my thoughts, and be receptive to my feelings.

Yeah i believe i come across as very Gemini in social situations, i don't think my Cancer sun even reveals itself, but with this lack of Sun energy i often feel like im not fully 'there' in a sense.

I also went through a similar phase where i repressed my emotions and valued rationality over emotion for a very long time; once i started to open up to my emotions and let them flow i found my relationships with people improved and felt more warm? But that gemini moon cause's my emotions to fluctuate and i can never really be sure if what im feeling is justified or not.. or that once the rationality crumbles away it reveals it'self to be an emotional response.

There seems to be this over-cautiousness towards emotions perpetuated by the Gemini moon.

Oh also - your Venus and Mars are both in Leo. This masculine energy in your relationships probably largely offsets the femininity of a Cancer. While Cancer by nature is the most feminine, introverted sign you are probably more extroverted due to the firey and airy influences in your chart. My chart is sparse in the fire department, but I do have a lot of airiness as well, which makes me more social than the typical Cancer.

Ahh thanks!

Yeah i seem to swing between the two. I 'can' be at home alone and be fine with it for a while.. but to much of it and i get severely depressed; which is odd because when i was younger it wasn't a problem. I prefer social situations, with that much Gemini i need constant stimulation.. and i enjoy the attention that comes from Leo.

I know that in relationships Leo comes out full force, i really feel like a different person altogether when im involved with someone.

Yeah, I have to agree with the other members, everyone has pointed out something that I think 'makes you' feel/think how you do. For personal planets, the emphasis really is Gemini and Leo. Can I ask, are you slow/fast shy/forward in these situations:

new people
first date
with family
longtime friends

New People:

I use to be quite shy with new people, as i've grown older i find that im more forward and open and i actually enjoy meeting new people, asking them questions and talking. I thrive on any attention from females which is probably the Leo energy.

First Date:

Im usually shy and nervous, but once conversation is flowing i relax.. i've missed queues in the past to kiss because im over-thinking or talking to much, or just unsure.. a Gemini moon here is a nightmare.

Family:

Im pretty relaxed and slow with my family, im quite forward and will say what i mean. I sometimes get the feeling that i come across as intimidating because neither my immediate family or relatives ever question me.

Longtime Friends:

Very slow with old friends, i don't feel the need to fill in silence with talk as much as i do with new people. I would even say that perhaps this is where my cancer sun is expressed to a degree..

p.s. I know what you mean about Cancer qualities. It's my ascendent and I have only half-liked it. I have read with that ascendent at least that it is 'easily coloured' by say the Sun and Moon. I don't know about the Sun though.

Yeah, i've always had trouble accepting it, as a Male it just seems to be in major conflict.. but mine feels so buried underneath other personal planets and the oppositions too it that my sense of identity is really twisted.

Thanks everyone for your input! I have largley neglected my Sun Sign when i've read into my chart.. and in a way i suppose it makes sense considering i dont feel that identified with the qualities. I think your all right with the Gemini/Leo combination been more dominant in my personality.. i guess my sun sign is very much an internal presence that isn't expressed around others.

Last edited:

astro11

Cancer males tend to be more sensitive to people's feelings and they understand nonverbal language better than men in general. Many women are attracted to Cancer males because they place a high priority on family life, and enjoy nurturing children.

...Yeah, im confident (hah the irony) that those oppositions are creating a great deal of confusion in regards to identity. My parents were also very supportive but in a financial way.. it's difficult to explain but they have always been their to help me but there's no actual 'connection' between myself and them, growing up they were more like people i shared a house with. They are both Air sun signs.

Sounds familiar - my mom is a Capricorn sun and my dad is a Capricorn moon, so there was a heavy focus on school and career in my childhood atmosphere that I never connected to and it didn't help me a lot with my personal development. Since I've broken away from this, I've transferred colleges and changed my major because I'm starting to realize that all of my decisions were made with my family's desires in mind rather than my own.. I've fought many many mental battles of this nature with myself.

Yeah i believe i come across as very Gemini in social situations, i don't think my Cancer sun even reveals itself, but with this lack of Sun energy i often feel like im not fully 'there' in a sense.

One of my biggest weaknesses is getting lost in my thoughts, daydreaming, overthinking the future, replaying moments, essentially not living in the present. Basically, having trouble relating to my environment, and not being body-conscious enough. I had social anxiety through my teenage years - trust me, being a teenage girl with this combo can be a REALLY scary thing, we're crazy enough as it is! My anxiety is something that may have taken a bit of drug use for me to learn to overcome... (am I allowed to say that here? lol)

I also went through a similar phase where i repressed my emotions and valued rationality over emotion for a very long time; once i started to open up to my emotions and let them flow i found my relationships with people improved and felt more warm? But that gemini moon cause's my emotions to fluctuate and i can never really be sure if what im feeling is justified or not.. or that once the rationality crumbles away it reveals it'self to be an emotional response.

There seems to be this over-cautiousness towards emotions perpetuated by the Gemini moon.

I bet you question your feelings a lot. How do you feel about this? Now, why do you feel this way? Is it because it's something you really care about? Or because it's something you THINK you should care about? Why do you want this? You are constantly trying to form a connection between your emotions and your thoughts and experiences, but sometimes it just seems like it doesn't make sense or add up. You often seem to "feel" things for no reason and then try desperately to rationalize those emotions. I often find myself thinking "there's literally NO reason for me to feel this way, but somehow I do." It's the irrational NEGATIVE emotions (like fear) that we have to learn to repress, and the irrational POSITIVE emotions (like love) that we have to learn to accept.

Yeah i seem to swing between the two. I 'can' be at home alone and be fine with it for a while.. but to much of it and i get severely depressed; which is odd because when i was younger it wasn't a problem. I prefer social situations, with that much Gemini i need constant stimulation.. and i enjoy the attention that comes from Leo.

Likewise - in my childhood I would spend a lot of time alone and find myself quite sad, and I realize that I need social stimulation in my life every day. I definitely prefer to be with people, but at the end of the day I still NEED time alone, and will sometimes spend hours in my room reading or drawing or listening to music until I get bored - and then I'll spend hours and hours with friends. It's about the balance between these two - I think that it's important to have that time alone with your thoughts, to reflect on things, so that during social time you can try to be more present and call upon your social qualities.

Do you feel like you tend to have a "poker face" when interacting with others? Is it hard for you to express your emotions? I have a tendency to keep a straight face when I'm around other people, as some sort of defense mechanism to keep my feelings safe and personal. Your masculinity might intensify this, making you feel like you need to keep your feelings inside - don't be afraid to let them show! I honestly haven't realized until lately that people always ask me what's wrong, and say I need to smile more. so I've been trying to be more animated and "warm" as you said. It's also probably related to a general detachment from my environment due to conditioning in younger years, overall I need to be more in touch with my surroundings (start by minimizing time spent watching TV, on the computer, on your cellphone, force yourself to make observations.) I've found that exercise and art are both really good outlets for my nervous energy, and once I rid of it, it's easier for me to relax and act upon my feelings. of course not fully - it is in the Cancerian nature to internalize your feelings. but try to communicate your more basic day-to-day functional emotions like excitement, pleasure, amusement, etc, just try not to be expressionless!

Longtime Friends:

Very slow with old friends, i don't feel the need to fill in silence with talk as much as i do with new people. I would even say that perhaps this is where my cancer sun is expressed to a degree..

Same - I am only very open about my feelings with my closest friends - as it should be! My best friend is also a Cancer, with Pisces Moon & Sag Rising, and she doesn't act like a Cancer at ALL in social situations (she's a social butterfly, comes off independent and tough as nails), but when it's just me and her she'll cry into my shoulder for hours. A lot of Cancers are like this, including you and myself, and I don't think we need to beat ourselves up over it. It's OK to act differently around others than you act by yourself or with close friends, as long as you aren't denying yourself any feelings and form a relationship/understanding between both sides of yourself. :)

lazarusx

One of my biggest weaknesses is getting lost in my thoughts, daydreaming, overthinking the future, replaying moments, essentially not living in the present. Basically, having trouble relating to my environment, and not being body-conscious enough. I had social anxiety through my teenage years - trust me, being a teenage girl with this combo can be a REALLY scary thing, we're crazy enough as it is! My anxiety is something that may have taken a bit of drug use for me to learn to overcome... (am I allowed to say that here? lol)

Mine also, i have made progress but i often replay moments in my mind and analyze them to death, day dreaming is also a common theme.. i seem to validate my worth based on how well i believe i come across to others in conversation. I also had social anxiety quite a bit during my teenage years which i also used drugs to overcome or even mask..

I have a huge tendency to over-think the future, i mean sure so does everyone it's in human nature to anticipate the next moment which is the root of anxiety but i think with my moon in Gemini this is more pronounced.

I bet you question your feelings a lot. How do you feel about this? Now, why do you feel this way? Is it because it's something you really care about? Or because it's something you THINK you should care about? Why do you want this? You are constantly trying to form a connection between your emotions and your thoughts and experiences, but sometimes it just seems like it doesn't make sense or add up. You often seem to "feel" things for no reason and then try desperately to rationalize those emotions. I often find myself thinking "there's literally NO reason for me to feel this way, but somehow I do." It's the irrational NEGATIVE emotions (like fear) that we have to learn to repress, and the irrational POSITIVE emotions (like love) that we have to learn to accept.

Haha.

Spot on! My feelings are like something to be figured out, rationalized and interpreted. In some cases this can be extremely beneficial, i can usually rationalize my way out of a depression (Jupiter's influence helps here) but in other cases like you mentioned, i will feel sadness, anger or joy for no apparent reason and this distress's me because i don't understand why i feel like this, and no amount of reasoning will allow for clarity.

This usually leads to the conclusion that there is a problem and it must be figured out and understood in order to move beyond it.

My mercury (conscious mind) is fused with my moon (subconscious mind), so i often have difficulty distinguishing between thought and feeling. Do i feel like this or do i think i feel like this? Is a very common question. And been in Gemini i become obsessed with the details. I also think because of this fusion what i say is always from an emotional response, so i probably dont appear to be the classic fast-talking Gemini.

My sun really takes a backseat in all of this.. lol.

Do you feel like you tend to have a "poker face" when interacting with others? Is it hard for you to express your emotions? I have a tendency to keep a straight face when I'm around other people, as some sort of defense mechanism to keep my feelings safe and personal. Your masculinity might intensify this, making you feel like you need to keep your feelings inside - don't be afraid to let them show! I honestly haven't realized until lately that people always ask me what's wrong, and say I need to smile more. so I've been trying to be more animated and "warm" as you said.

I used to when i was younger, but i've made conscious efforts to be more expressive with my emotions over the years and it's proved successful. The problem is my Moon is in the 1st house of self-expression, so even if i try repress my emotions it's obvious to everyone around me.. im quite animated with my face and hands, i would say my facial expressions say more then my words.. but there's always an element of control which is probably the masculinity of air and fire in my chart.

I've found that exercise and art are both really good outlets for my nervous energy, and once I rid of it, it's easier for me to relax and act upon my feelings.

So it's not just me either :) I usually need some sort of physical release for the nervous energy in order to relax, it also as you said brings me into closer contact with my emotions because that energy isn't been channeled into my feelings, i can flow with them easier...

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my questions in such depth crazycancer, i really appreciate it especially as we share similarities in our charts.. it's given me some perspective outside of my own to reflect on :)

I feel as though with so much going on in the air and fire signs of my chart my cancer sun only reveals itself in the most intimate of settings (close friends and relationships) when there is no longer a need for the masculine energies of the other signs.

I think i understand my Sun sign properly now for the first time, it's always been a mystery to me that i've never been able to identify with the qualities of cancer but in reflection those qualities are very apparent when im with close friends or a lover, and even more-so when im on my own. The rest of my interactions with the world are very air and fire dominated.

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

You have a grand water kite which is pretty cool, but I don't think males with water kite and trines are all that comfortable with that much feminine energy. The rapper Drake is Scorpio Sun with grand water trine and all he talks about is emotions and relationships. Let's face it, males with too much feminine/water influences are viewed as puss1es. I think since you have a masculine moon, rising, and Mars, you tend to default on those energies and could rely heavily on those energies while neglecting the watery side.

You have Gemini Mercury and I'm willing to bet you handle "emotions" on a thinking level. I think those with Gemini Mercury easily can shut off their emotional side and go on automatic thinking 24/7 no matter what their moon is. Gemini Mercury is very uncomfortable with emotional/soft/sensitive/feminine identity and you may use the Mercury to shield yourself from your Sun.

I have Gemini Mercury too, and even though I have a traditionally "soft" Moon in Pisces, my Mercury always wins. Feelings aren't too important to me and I view emotional people as weak and inferior. You may not share the same sentiments as I do, but I'm just using that as an example to illustrate my point.

There's nothing wrong with you not identifying with your Sun or the watery grand kite. Everyone has at least one or a few things in their chart that they aren't too comfortable with and have a hard time grasping what it is. I think it's hard and very unusual for a person to be in-tuned with everything in their chart and even if it were possible, that will take a very long time.