Comet Lulin Appearing this week only

piercethevale

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html

...a one time appearence as this comet is not periodic according to astronomers...the above link provides a star map of where to look...it is in Leo!

...but does it have astrological significance?...hmmmm?

ps...I should add that it is its most observable and brightest this week only by astronomical evaluation...ptv

Last edited:

skywatcher1221

piercethevale said:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html

...a one time appearence as this comet is not periodic according to astronomers...the above link provides a star map of where to look...it is in Leo!

...but does it have astrological significance?...hmmmm?

ps...I should add that it is its most observable and brightest this week only by astronomical evaluation...ptv

The day before Comet Lulin's perigee -- within orb of a conjunction to Saturn -- the stock market hit its lowest point since 1997. Locally (in New England, USA) an elderly Boston woman was killed in a freak escalator accident and a man was killed in a house explosion in Manchester, New Hampshire. Of course, as Lulin conjoined Saturn, it opposed Uranus.

Granted, this may not to be attributable to Lulin alone. But the comet's involvement in the Saturn-Uranus opposition adds fuel to the cosmic fire.

freedomlover

The day before Comet Lulin's perigee -- within orb of a conjunction to Saturn -- the stock market hit its lowest point since 1997. Locally (in New England, USA) an elderly Boston woman was killed in a freak escalator accident and a man was killed in a house explosion in Manchester, New Hampshire. Of course, as Lulin conjoined Saturn, it opposed Uranus.

Skywatcher,

What was the date Comet Lulin reached perigee?

FL

piercethevale

I understand what you mean Skywatcher but the word 'Perigee' is applied to bodies that orbit Earth and since this Comet is not orbiting perhaps just the words 'nearest to Earth' should be used?

skywatcher1221

piercethevale said:
I understand what you mean Skywatcher but the word 'Perigee' is applied to bodies that orbit Earth and since this Comet is not orbiting perhaps just the words 'nearest to Earth' should be used?

I grant your point but "perigee" is the term used on Spaceweather.com, which is the site I've been using to track the comet's progress.

freedomlover

Thanks for the clarification, PTV!

Skywatcher,
February 24, today or the pre-dawn hours, depending on time zone. It was 2 degrees from Saturn at the time.

Thank you for letting me know that. So, the freak accidents occurred on the 22nd/23rd, huh. That is odd. I wanted to know,for one reason, because there was a similar freak accident in our small town on the 20th or 21st. Two seasoned volunteer fireman were responding to a mobile home fire and both were killed. It wasn't like it was a big burning building where they were trapped and couldn't get out - or were subject to backdrafts. A mobile home is like 12 to 14 feet wide. Really freaky.