Mercury square/opposition Uranus

gaer

tonlesap said:
cant really explain. but when this person speak, its very forceful and u can sense the arrogance in them. but the person is very bright as they've accomplished a great deal academically.
That's very typical of people with this aspect, especially when young, but those aware of the tendency to sound abrasive can learn to "soften" the way they communicate. :)

Sag Moon said:
Air seems to make things worst as for getting the negatives out of the nature and if the person has the opposition in Air and alot of Earth they might be f the Type-A personality and cannot change their views.
There are an infinite number of ways that one aspect can connect to everything else in a chart. :)

But theoretically, both Mercury and Uranus should both be very free in air signs, so the problem is that when one is very "comfortable", the other is often somewhere very "uncomfortable", especially with the square.

For instance, Mercury in Aquarius should at leat be pretty comfortable, though not diginified, because it is in air, but that might put Uranus square Mercury in Taurus, for instance, which might be a very confining place for Uranus. :)

Gaer

Last edited:

Sag Moon

Gaer
Yeah-You are correct after contemplating it. Both are Air Planets.

It is just I might be thinking of the Hitler anaolgy which was not to good with Libra op.Me-Aries I think.

He had Me in Aries a Militaristic sign for his purpose.Not to good for us!

Last edited:

Yoi

I wonder what people think of Mercury conjunct Uranus? Is it more like the hard aspects (square/opposition) or the softer aspects (trine/sextile)?

EDIT: Looks like someone else asked that question already.

Last edited:

gaer

Sag Moon said:
Gaer
Yeah-You are correct after contemplating it. Both are Air Planets.

It is just I might be thinking of the Hitler anaolgy which was not to good with Libra op.Me-Aries I think.

He had Me in Aries a Militaristic sign for his purpose.Not to good for us!
I'm sure we could find countless people with the Aries/Libra Uranus/Mercury opposition who were fine people. I have never claimed to understand from his chart just why he became the person he became.

Yoi said:
I wonder what people think of Mercury conjunct Uranus? Is it more like the hard aspects (square/opposition) or the softer aspects (trine/sextile)?
There was no consensus. My own idea is that conjunctions, like oppositions, are "hard", but rather than having the friction set up from two opposites, instead you have intensity because of two planets in the same sign.

Also, like the opposition, other planets may either form very easy aspects to both planets or very difficult ones.

Just consider Mercury/Uranus trine or sextile several planets. Then imagine the conjunction as part of a cross.

Gaer

wayne penner

Yoi said:

EDIT: Looks like someone else asked that question already.

I think Mercury prefers NOT to be in conjunction with any planet except perhaps Venus. All conjunctions to Mercury are stressful.

At the same time the Mercury Uranus Conjunction is not so much harmonious or inharmonious, just very difficult to express unless there is some outless through Luna. For most people the aspect is frustrating because they can't say or express what they really mean.

Of course it gives considerable talent if there are other outlets, but the Conjunction alone is "a message in a bottle", always trying to connect but somehow missing how to do it.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Heres another view of mercury conjunct uranus.

A conjunction of Mercury and Uranus ensures strong mental faculties.
An independent spirit. - a touch of genius !
A helpful aspect for metaphysical and astrological work, and for all forms
of creativity, for inventive abilities and for all things metaphysical.Some people may regard you as being an *eccentric*. There is a need to be more considerate of other people when you have this conjunction in your natal chart.
Cheers Lillyjgc

Last edited:

Astrodawn

How would it affect the person if the natal mercury involved in the mercury/uranus square or opposition was also retrograde?

Yoi

wayne penner said:
I think Mercury prefers NOT to be in conjunction with any planet except perhaps Venus. All conjunctions to Mercury are stressful.

At the same time the Mercury Uranus Conjunction is not so much harmonious or inharmonious, just very difficult to express unless there is some outless through Luna. For most people the aspect is frustrating because they can't say or express what they really mean.

Of course it gives considerable talent if there are other outlets, but the Conjunction alone is "a message in a bottle", always trying to connect but somehow missing how to do it.

Interesting - I don't find it difficult to express my Mercury/Uranus. For example, I tend to be a charismatic speaker, or at least that's what people say. If I have a Uranusy idea I find it generally gets a good reception when I say it and I don't find it being too difficult to say.

In general, I identify strongly with some of the descriptions of Mercury/Uranus - for example I hate following the crowd and while people find themselves unconsciously "fitting in" I tend to unconsciously try to *not* fit in. Even if this means being staid and boring. For example in school I was a total square, because as a kid you are supposed to rebel, smoke in the school toilets etc. and I didn't want to do that because everyone else was doing it. In an environment where people are strict and conservative I tend to become more individualistic and rebellious and the opposite. I excel academically so I guess I may have some of the brains that Mercury/Uranus have. I also identify well with the idea of large amounts of nervous energy, constant thinking etc.

However, one of the things I don't identify that well with is the whole getting on people's nerves or offending people that people are saying is typical of Uranus/Mercury. I have the conjunction sextile Saturn, semi-square Venus, square the MC and quintile Jupiter. The semi-square Venus and square the MC is not so great. No idea about the Saturn sextile and Jupiter quintile. However, I have a Venus-Mars trine and a Venus-Jupiter trine and I think this may help smooth over the edges of Mercury/Uranus. For example while I like being different I think Venus-Jupiter may help prevent me from pushing that too far. For example while I have a lot of the Mercury/Uranus type far out ideas the Venus-Jupiter and Venus-Mars helps me I think know when *not* to say it because I know that the audience will get pissed off with me. Or to word it in such a way it is not too offensive. Venus-Mars and Venus-Jupiter trines are both aspects that deal very well with people in general. Anyway I think that it is possible that if you have other aspects in your chart that point to being a good people person it can smooth over the rougher edges of Mercury/Uranus.

Anyway, in general I've never had any problems with my Mercury/Uranus conjunction. In fact I consider it to be one of my easier aspects and one which forms a large part of who I am. I guess it helps that it rules by Ascendant and my Moon is also in Gemini. But I stress it may be because of other aspects in my chart which help smooth over the worse parts of it.

Never being considered a dull individual - yeah that's me. For some reason I tend to be memorable...Even during my staid years I wasn't considered a geek and square so much as well, something else. I'm not sure what it was and I don't think anyone else really knew either, but I have never managed to fade into the background (even when I wanted to!). I think I tend to confuse people, but hey I confuse myself half the time :) But hey, at least everyone always remembers me :) I think mostly in a good way. Well, I hope it's in a good way. Well no-one has ever said they hated me anyway and some people I thought hated me turned out to like me, so I don't think I've made too many enemies...

Last edited:

Nexus7

Doesn't John CLese have a Mercury-Uranus opposition? As in Monty Python, Fawlty Towers? I found him rather apinful to watch at times in Fawlty Towers, because of the nervous tension portrayed in the character (must be my own Mercury sesquiquadrate Uranus speaking). He is certainly anarchic and offbeat enough in Monty Pyhon, I should have thought.

wayne penner

Yoi, I think the issues with any conjunctions to Mercury is that they are difficult to express happily, unless very well aspected, especially by the Moon.

The people I have known with the Mercury Uranus conjunction have invariably been highly talented, often more than they seem to give themselves credit for, but they have all been quite stubborn and unmovable once they have their opinion set.

The only conjunction that Mercury seems to enjoy is with Venus. Mercury Jupiter conjunctions seem to be extremely unfortunate and history is littered with people with that conjunction who have brought disaster upoin themselves.

In any case, the Uranus conjunction has considerable potential if it can be focused and expressed.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi,
<the issues with any conjunctions to Mercury is that they are difficult to express happily, unless very well aspected, especially by the Moon.>

Wouldnt a lot depend on what sign this conjunction occurs in?

Another perspective on mercury conjunct jupiter:

A Mercury-Jupiter conjunction is an indication of the potential for academic achievement.
You may have philosophical or religious tendencies,and even be interested in spiritual studies.
You are likely to be lucky, with an upbeat state of mind, success in life being very likely.Those heavily involved in Education may have this aspect.
Cheers, Lillyjgc

Last edited:

wayne penner

lillyjgc said:
Hi,
<the issues with any conjunctions to Mercury is that they are difficult to express happily, unless very well aspected, especially by the Moon.>

Wouldnt a lot depend on what sign this conjunction occurs in?

Another perspective on mercury conjunct jupiter:

* MERCURY CONJUNCT JUPITER
A Mercury-Jupiter conjunction gives a broad and tolerant mind
capable of high educational achievement. Possessing an
optimistic, joyous and hopeful mental attitude, you tend to see
the bright and happy side of life whenever you let the mind
assert itself. You have philosophical or religious tendencies,
and are therefore capable of obtaining a great amount of
benefit through the practice of meditation and contemplation.
You are likely to be fortunate in more senses than one, but this
is due chiefly to your sound state of mind - great good fortune
and success in life is indicated. This is a good aspect for
teachers, advisers or directors.
Cheers, Lillyjgc

Mercury and Jupiter are probably best in sextile (Mercury is always best in sextile) but it is always a quiet aspect. If the conjunction is prominent in any way there will be considerable confusion in the life and sometimes disaster caused by the person's own mishandling of circumstances.

The conjunction is most certainly not a favorable aspect in many ways; the two planets rule opposite signs and neither planet is particularly content in the signs of the other's exaltation. Mercury is not that well-placed in Cancer and Jupiter is restless in Aquarius.

Once again you must consider the inherent nature of the aspect (although I know some argue that the conjunction is not an aspect but a "potential"). Mercury simply does not handle conjunctions well, other than to Venus, in which case it expresses itself through the arts. Mercury/Jupiter is a weak link in the chart, regardless that it might bring some fortune through matters ruled by the planets.

[personal, non-astrological opinions removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

gaer

People with a Mercury-Uranus conjunction, just a few…

Johannes Kepler
Noel Coward
John Updike
Neils Bohr, Nobel Prize in quantum physics…
Eleanor Roosevelt, certainly way before her time
Harry Belafonte, fine singer
Omar Sharif (brilliant bridge player too plus fluent in many languages)
Victor Borge, Michael Palin, very funny people. Borge was a comedy genius
Dezi Arnaz, very difficult life, alcoholic, but was an innovator in television
Marcel Marceau (brillian mime)

I left out many people, but I see no definite trend here as to happiness or ability to get along with other people, and so on. You will find people with the conjunction who get along with people very well, others that don't. The aspect by itself merely suggests brilliance.

Now, please present some evidence that people with the sextile are, in general, more successful, more brilliant, happier, or better at getting along with people—using this one aspect alone.

Show me your "examples in history", and if you can make a convincing case, I'll agree with you. I don't think you can.

Gaer

Yoi

wayne penner said:
Yoi, I think the issues with any conjunctions to Mercury is that they are difficult to express happily, unless very well aspected, especially by the Moon.

The people I have known with the Mercury Uranus conjunction have invariably been highly talented, often more than they seem to give themselves credit for, but they have all been quite stubborn and unmovable once they have their opinion set.

The only conjunction that Mercury seems to enjoy is with Venus. Mercury Jupiter conjunctions seem to be extremely unfortunate and history is littered with people with that conjunction who have brought disaster upoin themselves.

In any case, the Uranus conjunction has considerable potential if it can be focused and expressed.

As I said, I have the conjunction and I don't have any trouble expressing myself - it is fact one of my least troubling aspects, unlike say my Moon-Saturn square...I definitely wouldn't call myself stubborn and unmoveable. In fact one of my problems is I tend to be *too* easily persuaded to change my mind. I blame that on the very strong mutable focus of my chart as well as my Moon opposition Sun. You can say whatever you like but I don't experience the things that you say the conjunction does. Not to deny that it is possible that the conjunction can lead to the things you describe but it is hardly inevitable, depending on the rest of the chart.

Me:

Interesting - I don't find it difficult to express my Mercury/Uranus. For example, I tend to be a charismatic speaker, or at least that's what people say. If I have a Uranusy idea I find it generally gets a good reception when I say it and I don't find it being too difficult to say.

Your reply:

So here I am saying "Well I don't think you are right. Not all Mercury/Uranus conjunctions find it difficult to express themselves.

If someone has Uranus-Mercury but *also* has very strong aspects in their chart showing tact, people skills and charm, why shouldn't the later help smooth over the rougher edges of the former? It's all the same person after all. When they have conversations both Uranus-Mercury and say in my case Venus-Mars and Venus-Jupiter are in operation at the same time. Why would my Venus-Mars and Venus-Jupiter charm, people skills and tact, not to mention my Gemini ascendant and Moon glibe tongue suddenly disappear in conversations and only Uranus-Mercury be present (BTW all three aspects are about the same tightness)? It simply doesn't make any sort of logical sense. For example I can be extremely biting and cutting (the fact that Uranus and Mercury are in Scorpio probably helps) when I want to be but because of Venus-Mars and Venus-Jupiter 99% of the time I can hold my tongue. For example when we had that previous argument about whether sextiles were a Ptolemic aspect I dearly wanted to say exactly what I said above, especially when you pulled the "I am an expert" line on me too but I didn't because I can most of the time hold my tongue because of the Venus aspects. Ditto with the Venus-Saturn thread. You see that is an elementary example of how two different aspects work together in the same person. In the end it is far more important to take the entire chart into consideration rather than pointing to a single aspect or planet and going "You have X therefore you will be *definitely* be Y."

[personal, non-astrological opinions removed - moderator]

Sag Moon

Uranus
Any aspect involving this planet can be erratic at times. Nervous energy is what it's known for and what the subjet uses that energy for is vital.

There are two sides to everything in astrology.

As far as generic descriptions ,they are good,but then one has to fit what sign and house they are found in.Then the secondary aspects.It is called synthesis and that is where the true astrologers gift comes in.

Many can not do it and I have seen some just blurt the general descriptions and say I am astrologer.They do not have the ability. That's fine for some to read. It's all they are looking for,but if one is to have intuition then they must diligently study and intergrate the parts of the whole until it becomes homogenous for lack of a better word.
An example of this is vocational astrology where you just do not look at the 10th ,but the 2nd ,6th and other parts to see where the person might excel. I had someone I told they should go into acting.Sure enough they said they played but parts and were working on getitng into it seriously.

It does not always work the same for every astrologer for every chart either I have found.While I can be spot on for one I fail at anothers to see the parts as a whole for some reason.

That's just my experience and observations.

gaer

Yoi said:
If someone has Uranus-Mercury but *also* has very strong aspects in their chart showing tact, people skills and charm, why shouldn't the later help smooth over the rougher edges of the former?
In my opinion, you are exactly correct.

I would look, first of all, to see what aspects the conjunction makes. For instance, a sextile or trine to Saturn give great stability and more weight to the thinking. There would still be extra intensity because of the conjunction, something I link to "thinking outside the box".

And certainly other planets and aspects can show enough charm and tact to express your ideas/convictions/brain-storms/inspirations without arguing with people or being perceived as quarelsome!

Gaer

Sag Moon

Keywords associated with this combination of planets:

Quick mind,Restless mind,Photographic Memory,,Inventiveness,
Erratic thinking and actions,Lightning responses,
Motion-Always in motion,Undiplomatic,Impulsive,Electric,Lightning,Rash,Brash

I am sure I forgot some!

kani

Interesting -
- for example I hate following the crowd and while people find themselves unconsciously "fitting in" I tend to unconsciously try to *not* fit in. Even if this means being staid and boring. For example in school I was a total square, because as a kid you are supposed to rebel, smoke in the school toilets etc. and I didn't want to do that because everyone else was doing it. In an environment where people are strict and conservative I tend to become more individualistic and rebellious and the opposite. I excel academically so I guess I may have some of the brains that Mercury/Uranus have. I also identify well with the idea of large amounts of nervous energy, constant thinking etc.

I can relate to this SOO much. I do like to shock people sometimes though and people have told me that I come across as too direct. I don't mean to offend anyone just for the sake of it.
M merc is sq to Uranus but also trine to Pluto and consequently sextile to Neptune.
I do have a very good memory, it's almost photographic. I never had to make an effort in school, the good grades just came flying to me. When I'm interested in something it just sticks. My mind is really scattered sometimes though, too and I tend to jump from one topic to another.

Lykanized

I have the opposition and it has a huge influence on my overall chart as well as my inner planets and AC/MC. It's really troubling sometimes. While I'm quite the rebel and love being the 'provocateur', I often don't actually know what is appropriate and what isn't so sometimes it's not even a desire to shock people, it's just an allegiance to truth and not understanding why it so shocks people. So I suppose that's where the lack of tact comes in. I may be slightly saved by my elevated Venus, yet that too is ruled by Mercury lmfao

While I'll admit I often feel as if I'm ahead or beyond others, I may also just feel alienated. I've read some not so beautiful things about this aspect so I'm a bit weary of it, but oh well. I do have the flashes of brilliance that come along for the ride, but I also have a sense of madness as if anything is possible and there are no boundaries so I give my imagination free reign

The proverbial box doesn't exist and certainly, this doesn't rub most people the right way. I despise rules that hinder my creative expression. I'm constantly trying to push boundaries and find new ways to do or say things. And I enjoy it, yet it can still feel very alienating. I don't feel comfortable doing things the way others do, it just doesn't feel right nor does it feel exciting

Someone else told me that people with this aspect can become convinced they've found some grand truth that deviates from the majority and that truth may not always be benevolent in nature

For myself, I've spoken many times on this forum about my desire to help people surrender to their darkness for the sake of finding their light. To some, this may sound extremist. To some, it's just not appealing. Some people have thought I was too dark or too deep or whatever

Personally, I consider my mind to be erratic. It knows no bounds and it shifts wildly with the tides. I don't know where the ground is. In fact, the only grounding is that there is no ground

I can certainly be brash. I'm usually agreeable, but I don't like to be boxed in and I highly value my intellectual freedom and freedom of expression. So I've run into some issues there, especially with that Uranus being in the 5th house

kani

I often don't actually know what is appropriate and what isn't so sometimes it's not even a desire to shock people, it's just an allegiance to truth and not understanding why it so shocks people. So I suppose that's where the lack of tact comes in.

That's a very good description actually. When I say I like to shock people I mean I confront them with my views/opinions that are so contrary to theirs and I know they are shocked with every little thing that doesn't align with their world view. I do

While I'll admit I often feel as if I'm ahead or beyond others, I may also just feel alienated. I've read some not so beautiful things about this aspect so I'm a bit weary of it, but oh well. I do have the flashes of brilliance that come along for the ride, but I also have a sense of madness as if anything is possible and there are no boundaries so I give my imagination free reign

Absolutely me, too.

The proverbial box doesn't exist and certainly, this doesn't rub most people the right way. I despise rules that hinder my creative expression. I'm constantly trying to push boundaries and find new ways to do or say things. And I enjoy it, yet it can still feel very alienating. I don't feel comfortable doing things the way others do, it just doesn't feel right nor does it feel exciting

Someone else told me that people with this aspect can become convinced they've found some grand truth that deviates from the majority and that truth may not always be benevolent in nature

For myself, I've spoken many times on this forum about my desire to help people surrender to their darkness for the sake of finding their light. To some, this may sound extremist. To some, it's just not appealing. Some people have thought I was too dark or too deep or whatever

That's interesting, because that is exactly my experience. I've been through my "dark night of the soul" that lasted over 12 years (starting at 21) and if I said that it was hell it would be the understatement of the century. I have Pluto in 4 plus moon sq pluto as well though

Personally, I consider my mind to be erratic. It knows no bounds and it shifts wildly with the tides. I don't know where the ground is. In fact, the only grounding is that there is no ground

I can certainly be brash. I'm usually agreeable, but I don't like to be boxed in and I highly value my intellectual freedom and freedom of expression. So I've run into some issues there, especially with that Uranus being in the 5th house

My Uranus is also in the 5th and Mercury in the 8th :)