Unaspected Uranus in 12th

R4VEN

I apologise in advance for throwing out yet another aspect in isolation for others to comment upon.

I am about to embark on a written astro reading for a woman in her late 20's with Uranus:

• Rx in the 1st degree of Sag
  • in the 12th house
  • unaspected
  • ruling her 3rd house (she's the eldest of 5 children, and when living at home would terrorise her younger siblings with general taunting)
This young woman also has Moon in Aqu in the 3rd, and Sag Asc.

Despite her having been something of a rebel-without-much-clue as a teen, she has tended to settle into a predictable cycle of life - in a very long-term r/ship with an older man, and travelling back and forth between her home country and a European country of her partner's birth.

Looking at her chart, it just screams Don't Tie Me Down!!!! - but she tends to get herself into `tied-down' situations, and then doesn't know how to change this.

I must confess that I am somewhat obsessed by unaspected planets, but a grasp of an unaspected - and Rx in 12th - Uranus kinda eludes me. I suspect that the usual expression of an unaspected Uranus - i.e. freedom at all costs regardless of consequences - is being masked by firstly the Rx motion, and then by it being in the 12th house. I see her as being someone who tries constantly to attain `independence', but needs at the same time to know that someone is always holding her hand. :sideways:

Any further insights or ideas?

[BTW, have read the desription of Uranus in 12th from DK Foundation site, and find it a bit perplexing - and decidedly vague. Maybe it's just me.]

R4VEN

Thanks Jerry.

Could you give me more information on the 11th harmonic????? (Did not know of such a thing, since how can 360 degr be divided 11 ways?)

Can you provide me with at least a signpost?

And a Happy New Year to you too, Jerry :cool:

PS: Have tried astro.com, and their harmonic charts appear to only go to 10th harmonic.

Last edited:

astro09

Unaspected Uranus in the 12th has its quiet ups and downs; at times a loner creative being, at other moments halted from action. Intuitive flashes subtly coming and going, depending whether it is activated or not.
Perhaps, silently or by herself learning astrology or just looking help from it.
The retro situation here suggests there is a spiral inward direction from where all these traits emerge but cautiously escaping outward.

EJ53

Banned
Does progressed Uranus ever get back to the 29th/Anaretic degree of Scorpio, R4VEN?......If so, how long/at what ages is it there for?

[The 11th harmonic apparently relates to obsessions and deep-rooted fantasy.......use 33 degrees for covenience......11x33=363=near enough even for Virgos]:wink:

R4VEN

Thanks guys for your help. Every little bit helps. This young woman is at a real crossroads in her life, and her mother has `commissioned' me to do an astrology chart/reading for her, so I'd like to explore all options before I let it settle, and then get on with it.

astro09:
"The retro situation here suggests there is a spiral inward direction from where all these traits emerge but cautiously escaping outward. "
That makes a lot of sense and is well-expressed. Thank you for that.

EJ:
"Does progressed Uranus ever get back to the 29th/Anaretic degree of Scorpio, R4VEN?......If so, how long/at what ages is it there for?"
I really, really wanted this to be so!!! But alas, it never progresses back into Scorp. Pity. It does however go direct at age 31 - in around 3 and a half years. By then she could be back in Greece and still not living her life.

JerryRR:
"Uranus is sensitively placed, I feel the Draco Chart may be worth exploring.

Midpoints are another option,Moon/Uranus."

Yes, the Draconian chart is interesting. It is strong - even powerful - so I will look further into that. Moon/Uranus MP close to MSN, along with Lilith, so interesting.

Since she has lived for a long time in greece and here, I have also looked at her relocated chart. Life looks easier there - less challenging. Every time she comes back to Oz she soon `escapes' back to Greece. My feeling is that she must stay here a while and do what she opted out of doing around 9 years ago when she first `escaped'.
Mmm. Maybe that is how she expresses her Uranus.............

However, a bit stuck on the 11th harmonic chart - still. Have done what you said, and I've saved it. Now what? The chart looks very stressful, but not sure how to `read' it. There are 2 quite tricky t-squares: Sun opp Moon, both squ Mars; Pluto opp Merc, both squ Saturn.... and Mars in inconjunct Jupiter, and Moon inconjunct Venus. Is this hidden stuf?? Unconscious, maybe.

Last edited:

Claire19

SHe may have planets in the 7th in Cancer?? This shows a need for nurturance and domestic issues are very important in partnerships. Gemini i.e. Mercury is ruling her 7th and that shows duality and lots of movement.

Uranus in the 12th retro shows karmic issues from the past from what I read, I dont have any so cant really relate. Even neuroses with needing to be independent and free which comes from the past. Where her north node is will be very telling. It may be pulling her into more intimate and stable relationship this time around. Moon in Aquarius in 3rd can indicate mothering or being the older of siblings but in Aquarius it would have been more unsettling them and teasing. Creating chaos. Her feelings would also go up and down and she may well be a creature of whim in her everyday contacts. Either all on or all off. SHe would be seen as quirky and unpredictable by her everyday contacts including school mates and neighbours. If the Moon aspects the ascendant, all the more so. I would also be warning about rash actions when taking trips and possibly of being accident prone.

We cannot look at anyone, even with unaspected planet without seeing the whole chart.

So it is mere speculation at this point.

Last edited:

R4VEN

Claire, thanks for that.
Speculation is all I am searching for. I do not wish for a full analysis.

And North Node is in 7th in Cancer, conj Cancer Sun. She has a long-term partner who is much older than she, and she has not explored other types of r/ships.

SHe may have planets in the 7th in Cancer?? This shows a need for nurturance and domestic issues are very important in partnerships. Gemini i.e. Mercury is ruling her 7th and that shows duality and lots of movement.

Uranus in the 12th retro shows karmic issues from the past from what I read, I dont have any so cant really related. Even neuroses with needing to beindependent and free which comes from the past. Where her north node is will be very telling. It may be pulling her into more intimate and stable relationship this time around. Moon in Aquarius in 3rd can indicate mothering of siblings but in Aquarius it would have been more unsettling them and teasing. Creating chaos. Her feelings would also go up and down and she may well be a creature of whim in her everyday contacts. Either all on or all off. SHe would be seen as quirky and unpredictable by her everyday contacts including school mates and neighbours. If the Moon aspects the ascendant, all the more so.

We cannot look at anyone, even with unaspected planet without seeing the whole chart.

So it is mere speculation at this point.

EJ53

Banned
..."Does progressed Uranus ever get back to the 29th/Anaretic degree of Scorpio, R4VEN?......If so, how long/at what ages is it there for?".....it never progresses back into Scorp. Pity. It does however go direct at age 31 - in around 3 and a half years. By then she could be back in Greece and still not living her life.
This tells us that the retrograding is not about Uranus returning to Scorpio to pick-up something missed, but rather to stay in 1st degree of Sagittarius long enough to learn something important before moving on......So it might be worth looking at the Sabian symbol for Sag1 (A Grand Army of the Republican campfire), which Marc Edmond Jones says is a symbol of :-

...man's continuing appreciation of every phase of experience that has ever opened up for him, and his desire to live worthily as a basis for every present or future well-being. Here is an emphasis on a subjective passivity of value to the individual as it becomes the inner strength by which he may sustain himself at critical points in his affairs. In his periodic and symbolic return to the centre he regrasps each special potentiality of his being..... Keyword Reminiscence...positive =accomplishment through cultivation and preservation of ties with others...negative = superficial idleness and unhealthy veneration for the past.

Perhaps her chart is actually screaming....."Don't tie me down...Allow me to (learn why/when I should choose to) do that myself."......and maybe that learning will be completed when Uranus goes direct.
____________________________________________​
With any retrograde planet, "when in doubt, get Martin Schulman out"......So, it might also be worth considering what he says about Retrograde Uranus Karma at http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1278&postcount=1

And in volume 2 of his "Karmic Astrology" book series, MS says this about retrograde Uranus in 12th house :-

This individual draws upon the awareness and understanding he had reached in former lifetimes as he sees the need for using them now......The potential for very real self-growth is great......he knows how things work in the outer world and does not have to always experience them......His inner mind is experiencing everything all the time......Still, he has to live in society, and healthy aspects to Saturn will enable him to put his Uranian awareness into a practical interplay between his knowledge and the world around him.

R4VEN

EJ, thanks so much for that information, and the work you have put into it. It makes perfect sense to me. I had not even considered the Sabian symbol.
Lynda Hills' description of the Sabian symbol for Sag 1 is:
"Retired army veterans gather to reawaken old memories."

That speaks to me of an unconscious gleaning of past life knowledge - when required - for use in the early part of this life.

Thanks again. Quite a lot of food for rumination there. :sideways:

I am quite intrigued too by how unaspected planets work, and I will collect more data on them in my astrological journals. Beyonce has an unaspected Sun in Virgo, and she is always at odds for me, and it's hard to know who she really is. She has her whole alter ego on stage "Sasha Fierce" which allows all the sexual energy out and ego, (Libra stellium and Venus conjunct Pluto, along with Mars in Leo). Off stage, she appears humble and religious etc. A lot more down to earth. Her Virgo Sun shows through in interviews. Perhaps with her natal Sun having no other dialogue with other planets in her natal chart, she needs the stage for her powerful and creative self-expression. In an interview she said her mother once slapped her face in a store when she thought her ego was getting too big.

I also noticed an actress with unaspected Sun in Sagittarius, she had a large part of her planets in the fourth house. She always said she was going to kill herself by jumping out of a window. Everyone thought she was being "over-dramatic". However, she fulfilled her self-proclaiming prophecy. This week I was looking at a chart with an unaspected Saturn in Pisces, he also had a Grand trine in Earth and he inherited wealth from his family, no problems in the financial area, relating to the ease with earth in his chart. However, the isolation and loneliness of his unaspected Saturn became too much to bear. While his mum was in his apartment, she was physically traumatised when he suddenly jumped out his window to his death.

It looks like I am insinuating unaspected planets lead to suicide, they don't. But you see the trouble they have expressing themselves clearly, or being heard. They either feel unnoticed and unable to express themselves. Or they begin to get very loud in the chart, and turn the volume up. I have a book by Lyn Birkbeck which details the meanings of all the planets unaspected in the chart. Interestingly, for a unaspected Sun he says these people could live their Sun through others. Or feel completely free to follow their own path without having to paid heed to others. They could be noted for their originality, but remain an enigma. Sometimes there are father issues too.

For an unaspected Saturn he says these people may lack order and a sense of structure. A weak father. He finds it difficulty find his own authority. Ultimately they're re looking for that authority. Doubt and concern over career and status. I gave the above examples to explore how true the readings are compared to the native's life. For this woman's Uranus unapected, Birk says when she discovers freedom in any shape or form she is not quite able o know what to do with it. No one may have encouraged her to be an individual in her own right. Any feelings of being odd or a misfit should be interpreted as signs of finding out what is unique about her.

According to psychological astrology (Liz Greene) Uranus in the 12th has been moving through the family generation for years living unexpressed. Having this planet unaspected she needs to get in touch with this part of her personality and may have quite some difficulty. Planets in the twelfth house often show energies that are unexpressed, repressed and sometimes unlived. Again she might have an inner feeling that she doesn't fit in, or is odd in some way. According to Liz Greene The Art of Stealing Fire the family can deny this revolutionary spirit hidden in the family psyche and proclaim to be a very "normal" family. She also says these people feel there differentness more powerfully than Uranus in 1st house. She calls it a kind of "family secret" and the sense of being a misfit shows through subtler levels. Sometimes the energy can break out and create disassociation and can result in breakdowns.

I hope this helps some more with your interpretation. More ideas to play with.

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
...For this woman's Uranus unapected, Birk says when she discovers freedom in any shape or form she is not quite able to know what to do with it. No one may have encouraged her to be an individual in her own right. Any feelings of being odd or a misfit should be interpreted as signs of finding out what is unique about her......Uranus in the 12th has been moving through the family generation for years living unexpressed. Having this planet unaspected she needs to get in touch with this part of her personality and may have quite some difficulty. Planets in the twelfth house often show energies that are unexpressed, repressed and sometimes unlived. Again she might have an inner feeling that she doesn't fit in, or is odd in some way. According to Liz Greene The Art of Stealing Fire the family can deny this revolutionary spirit hidden in the family psyche and proclaim to be a very "normal" family. She also says these people feel there differentness more powerfully than Uranus in 1st house. She calls it a kind of "family secret" and the sense of being a misfit shows through subtler levels. Sometimes the energy can break out and create disassociation and can result in breakdowns.
Uranus in the sign of the teacher; the house of the universal mind and unfettered by aspects.....spends 31 progressed years recalling it's lessons from previous lifetimes (Sabian) and living in an environment where it has been suppressed (Shiny's comment above)......So, this is a Uranus that has been tested in the wilderness to be certain that it "knows what it knows" before embarking upon it's life-purpose, after reaching astrological maturity/the first Saturn Return....But, what is that purpose?

Last edited:
Nobody has yet linked this placement to 3rd house of communications. Uranus in 12th suggests that periodically she may have to withdraw and use that creativity and communications on the 'internal' world. To do something usunusal, different or just wacky. I have a friend with uranus in 12th and she gets lots of pleasure from simply using a computer in her home -- uranus does rules electronics/computers.

I think think the retrograde is to important as has been suggested it will never go direct for her anyway. It's the fact that it's unaspected and in 12th house. So maybe she goes to extremes to have a bit of privacy and acts in disruptive ways to get it maybe.

Lastly, we must remember this is 'cadent' house and very hard to get at the energies, unless it gets a hit by transit. She may therefore not recognise the need for this freedom and independence cos its 'hidden' but subconsciously acts in ways to get it

[/FONT]
Uranus in the sign of the teacher; the house of the universal mind and unfettered by aspects.....spends 33 progressed years recalling it's lessons from previous lifetimes (Sabian) and living in an environment where it has been suppressed (Shiny's comment above)......So, this is a Uranus that has been tested in the wilderness to be certain that it "knows what it knows" before embarking upon it's life-purpose....But, what is that purpose?

It's hard to pin down a life purpose, Uranus in Sagittarius is freedom loving. According to Sue Tompkins (Contemporary Astrologer's Handbook) this combination conjures up images of exciting journeys. Exactly how you put it, in the wilderness. The teacher aspect is there too because she says journeys can also be in the mind. She says this combination of a liberty-loving planet in a libertarian sign suggests issues around beliefs and having freedom to pursue those beliefs, whether religious philosophical, political etc. Freedom of speech and so forth. We have established these issues are suppressed, perhaps the lesson is learning to express this energy. It would be interesting knowing some family background. I think Astro-50 has a good point, and we need to look to the Aquarian energies in her chart and see how she expresses herself in these areas. A secret rebel behind the scenes in the 12th house. Planets in Cadent houses when they express themselves can be powerful hidden forces in the personality. I think this thread has been a good team effort and perhaps some interpretation can be found for this lady. She might rebel and disagree with everything we say :lol:.

I could check out Tracy Marks book later on the 12th house. I only bought the book because my son has a 12th house Mercury (chart ruler) and I try to gather as much information as I can for my little babe. I don't have any 12th house planets, so it's not much help for me. I will have a browse through later, make use of my library. We will all have digitized books before we know it. I am going miss the old book formats. Although I say that and I was moaning for one one of those Sony readers for Christmas. The digital age has sucked me in. It's cool having a ton of books on a little portable reader. I am battling with tradition and future movements in my psyche. :alien:

EJ53

Banned
The 12th symbolises a connection of self/1st to society/11th.....Sagittarus symbolises a philosophy connecting Scorpio intangibles with Capricorn solidity.......and Uranus symbolises the thought processes connecting limiting Saturn to unlimiting Neptune......So, maybe Uranus in Sagittarius/12th can "see the connections that others cannot".

Last edited:

R4VEN

Thanks once again everyone. I tend to read the posts and then go away and let it all settle to see if anything jumps out at me. The following - originally in Shining Ray's post, but then quoted by EJ - really jumped off the page at me:

"Uranus in the 12th has been moving through the family generation for years living unexpressed. Having this planet unaspected she needs to get in touch with this part of her personality and may have quite some difficulty. Planets in the twelfth house often show energies that are unexpressed, repressed and sometimes unlived."

There is a lot of unexpressed individuality in her family line, partly due to both her mother's and father's parents - i.e. both sets of this woman's grandparents - having come to Australia from wartime Europe. I found another Uranus Rx in the 12th - but aspected - in her father's chart. He has lived a very `good' life, but ordinary and unremarkable, almost as though he cannot put his head above the parapet for fear of having it blown off!! I believe he has also had some kind of learning difficulty.

I know a little of the history of 2 of her grandparents, and their WW2 experiences were horrific. These experiences - I feel, at least - have manifested in the lives of this woman's younger 3 sisters, each of whom have had issues with drug use and abuse, as well as other forms of self-destructive behaviour. The woman whose chart I am about to do tends to come back to Australia for a few months, and then `escapes' to Europe for another couple of years. She has always made her parents and sisters feel `uncomfortable'. She seems to trigger something in the whole family, and then they feel bad after she `escapes', but they breathe a collective sigh of relief all the same.

As to the 3rd house, this woman has Aqu on cusp, and Moon in aqu in 3rd, conj Vesta in Aqua also.

Jerry, I will PM you in relation to 11th harmonic.

EJ53

Banned
...Jerry, I will PM you in relation to 11th harmonic.
For information

If you haven't already seen it, you might both be interested in this tribe.net thread :-
http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/f6122f09-37db-44b7-bd64-f82742b33389

As you know, in the 11th harmonic chart undecile, biundecile, triundecile, quadriundecile and quinqueundecile appear as conjunctions......and, as the opening comment on that thread states :-

...the waxing undecile falls within the new phase(impulse to evolve), the waxing biundecile in the crescent phase (heeding the call),the waxing triundecile and quadriundecile both in the first-quarter phase (overcoming external resistance),the waxing quinqueundecile in the gibbous phase (searching for illumination),the waning quinqueundecile in the full phase(awareness and objective understanding),the waning quadriundecile and triundecile both in the disseminating phase (assimilation and synthesis) the waning biundecile in the third-quarter phase (facing internal resistance),and the waning undecile falls in the balsamic phase (mastery, release and seeding of the next cycle).

Which reminds me that a great deal can often be learned about unaspected planets by looking at their phase relationships with other planets in the chart.