How close does a progressed planet have to be to the natal planet to feel its effects

freedomlover

I have been trying to learn more about progressions to natal planets. I keep reading about major life events occurring when progressed (and solar arc) planets aspect the natal planets. It seems it would behoove me to learn more about this.

I was studying the current progressions to my natal planets, and found the following to be the major ones:

Progressed Mercury is at 2*Cap, approaching an exact conjunction to my natal ASC at 3* Cap.

Progressed MC is at 6*Sag, exactly conjunct my natal Sun in 11th house.
Progressed Fortuna is at 8* Sag, so 2 degrees till an exact conjunction.

Progressed Mars and Venus(r) are exact conjunct at 13* Aquarius in the 12th. This is exactly on the midpoint of my natal Pallas and Juno conjunction in the 2nd house, at 12 and 14 degrees Aquarius, respectively.

Progressed Sun is at 18* Cap in the 11th, approaching a conjunction to my natal Venus at 22* Cap in the 1st.

Progressed Part of Fortune at 18* Virgo/7th is exact conjunct my natal Pluto part of the Uranus/Pluto conjunction at 18* Virgo/8th (Uranus at 19* Virgo)

When can I expect to start feeling the effects of the approaching conjunctions?

Do trines and sextiles from progressed planets count?

Progressed Moon at 16* Leo/6th is trining my natal Mercury(r) at 16* Sag in the 12th.

Progressed Sun at 18* Cap/11th is sextiling my natal Uranus/Pluto conjunction in the 8th at 18/19* Virgo.

I would appreciate some understanding about what kind of effects these aspects typically have. Thanks to all!

Last edited:

Taurluna

Re: How close does a progressed planet have to be to the natal planet to feel its effects

I pay special attention to progressions and use very tight orbs, no more than 2*

Here's what I've noticed and experienced, and what I have felt the most effects from;

The angles and planets changing signs or getting reading to...when they're at 29, 30, and 0*'s you'll begin to notice a shift within. An old way of being or experience is coming to an end. A new quailty is beginning to take a hold. Think of it as an adjustment period...sometimes you feel confused by the new and people will start noticing the changes because you won't feel/act like your old self. I think this is especially true when the Asc or the Sun changes signs.

I have noticed very strong effects when progressed and/or natal planets conjunct the angles...in either chart.

I have noticed and experienced progressed planets conjunct natal midpoints to be highly significant...for me, progressed Merc junc my natal Sun/Moon midpoint...my relationships where greatly affected.

I've been watching the progressed moon in my own chart and charts of others. I have gone back in time to see when the progressed moon set off other aspects in the natal chart and noticed major things happening.

You have to look at different charts (natal, transits, progressions, directed, converse, solar returns) to get information about the timing of events...it will show up at least three times...it will be reinforced over and over.

Other than that, I would just read the progressed chart like any other.

The cart posted, is that your natal or progressed?

Last edited:

astromony

Re: How close does a progressed planet have to be to the natal planet to feel its effects

Wow Freedomlover, it sounds like a great time for you. MC with sun would be about career and mercury crossing AC would bring your communications out of the deep. Venus and mars conjunct by progression, are they close to one another natally? I think about progressed timing in terms of how each planet would move in progression, for instance i realized the other day that the moon takes 27 years or so to move all the way through the zodiac by progression. The sun moves one degree a year and venus does too, or close to it. Mars takes two years to move one degree. So, i would think that 1 degree given for timing would be about as wide an orb to judging aspects by progression and maybe 2 degrees orb for the moon.

freedomlover

Taurluna,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!!! That was just the kind of information I was looking for!
I have noticed very strong effects when progressed and/or natal planets conjunct the angles...in either chart.
That would explain why I'm feeling the effects of the Progressed Mercury within 1 degree of my ASC and the Progressed MC conjunct my Natal Sun. I have no planets on the angles in my natal chart.

I have noticed and experienced progressed planets conjunct natal midpoints to be highly significant...for me, progressed Merc junc my natal Sun/Moon midpoint...my relationships where greatly affected.
Midpoints! That's another thing I really want to learn, but don't really know where to begin. I find fascinating the postings on the forum where the members talk about the midpoints.
I've been watching the progressed moon in my own chart and charts of others. I have gone back in time to see when the progressed moon set off other aspects in the natal chart and noticed major things happening.
My Progressed Moon is a little under 4 degrees from a conjunction with my Progressed DC. I am feeling this very pronounced at the moment, perhaps because of the exact trine to my natal Mercury retro.

My Progressed Lilith is exactly conjunct my Progressed ASC, and so opposed my Progressed Moon. I have been feeling the Lilith energies very strong in my life.

The cart posted, is that your natal or progressed?
The chart is my signature is my natal chart. I would be happy to post my progressed, if you want to see it.

Thanks again!

Hi Freedomlover

I would agree with Taurluna's points, 2* is the right orb. It's like events prepare for the 2-3 yrs before the progression is exact and then POW they manifest at exactitude. Generally speaking!

You asked about midpoints - they are an amazing field of study, truly remarkable in their effects when contacted by progression or transit. I would thoroughly recommend you be grounded and confident enough in your grasp of natal astrology, especially the meaning of each planet and what it symbolisesm as this is essential to understanding the midpoints.

For example: Mercury at the midpoint of Sun/Venus. Indicates strong communication skills, probably a nice speaking voice and needs communication in relationships to feel good. And you could extrapolate from there.

I use Parker's Astrology by Derek and Julia Parker, this terrific book covers all the bases and has an excellent clearly explained section on midpoints. Enjoy!

freedomlover

OzAstrologer,

Thanks so much for your reply!

I feel that I am sufficiently grounded in basic natal astrology to at least check into the midpoints and see how quickly I grasp them. I would love to at least know where mine are, so I can watch for aspects to them. I have noticed that in my horary and synastry charts, often 16* Cap is significant. 16* Cap is the midpoint of my natal Mars (10* Cap) and Venus (22* Cap), if I'm not mistaken.

I will try to get my hands on a copy of that book in the near future, if at all possible.

I also noticed that this is your first post to the forum - I'm honored!
Welcome to the forum!

freedomlover said:
OzAstrologer,

Thanks so much for your reply!

I feel that I am sufficiently grounded in basic natal astrology to at least check into the midpoints and see how quickly I grasp them. I would love to at least know where mine are, so I can watch for aspects to them. I have noticed that in my horary and synastry charts, often 16* Cap is significant. 16* Cap is the midpoint of my natal Mars (10* Cap) and Venus (22* Cap), if I'm not mistaken.

I will try to get my hands on a copy of that book in the near future, if at all possible.

I also noticed that this is your first post to the forum - I'm honored!
Welcome to the forum!

Hi FL! Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Wow - 16 Cap, eh? So using the info you gave on ur 1st post, that means your Prog. Sun would have been exactly conjunct the Mars/Venus midpoint - about 2 years ago!! Is this correct? Was 2005 a nice time for you relationship wise, or were issues in focus at that time?

No doubt with Prog. Mercury approaching your Asc there could be changes around work, health issues or an overseas connection of some kind. There could be mystery on the horizon in relationships! (Natal Merucry is in 12, ruling 6 and 9.)

Last edited:

freedomlover

Wow - 16 Cap, eh? So using the info you gave on ur 1st post, that means your Prog. Sun would have been exactly conjunct the Mars/Venus midpoint - about 2 years ago!! Is this correct? Was 2005 a nice time for you relationship wise, or were issues in focus at that time? Fascinating!
Summer of 2005 was a horrible year for me relationship-wise. I made some very Cap-like relationship mistakes. But, OH yes!, relationship issues were definitely in focus! I'm just now starting to disentangle myself!

It's also interesting that another guy - a soul mate- that I carried a torch for for years and years has his Sun at 16* Cancer, so exactly opposes my Mars/Venus midpoint. His Sun falls in my 7th house, too.

Just some little observations I've noted from my meager knowledge of midpoints........

BTW, do midpoint hits have to be exact, or do they also have some leeway on either side? For instance, would a planet opposing my 16*Cap midpoint at 15* Cancer be noteworthy, as well?

freedomlover said:
Summer of 2005 was a horrible year for me relationship-wise. I made some very Cap-like relationship mistakes. But, OH yes!, relationship issues were definitely in focus! I'm just now starting to disentangle myself!

It's also interesting that another guy - a soul mate- that I carried a torch for for years and years has his Sun at 16* Cancer, so exactly opposes my Mars/Venus midpoint. His Sun falls in my 7th house, too.

Just some little observations I've noted from my meager knowledge of midpoints........

BTW, do midpoint hits have to be exact, or do they also have some leeway on either side? For instance, would a planet opposing my 16*Cap midpoint at 15* Cancer be noteworthy, as well?

Wow, thanks for the info. Ain't astrology great! ;)

You seem to have a good grasp of midpoints! That man with his Sun at 16 Cancer no wonder he had an impact on you!

And yes, because the midpoints are quite sensitive, I personally feel the orb should be no more than 1* for transits and progressions. It's OK to use up to 2* for planets contacting midpoints in the natal chart.

4leafclovah

Is there a wider orb for the progressed moon?