For compatibility do you check the synastry or composite chart first?

Osamenor

Staff member
The most important thing is get to know the person, and have an actual relationship with them, before you do any astrology. That's how you know what your relationship with them is really like, and whether you're compatible. Astrological charts show potential, but not all the potentials manifest. There are way too many potentials for reality to be able to include them all.

Personally (and I am a practicing astrologer) I refuse to answer relationship questions if the "relationship" is just a crush or is in the early stages. If the relationship has existed long enough that you know from experience what's good about it and where the hitches are, then astrology can be useful in working out the hitches. In some cases, there are so many hitches that people decide continuing the relationship isn't worth it--but if they've reached that point, then astrology just helped them get clear on it. But if there's no established relationship, then you can't know which of the many potentials in the chart would be the reality.

For the actual experience of being in the relationship, and the dynamics, synastry is what to use. The composite doesn't necessarily reflect how either party experiences the relationship... it's the chart for the relationship itself, as an entity.

But even synastry doesn't really show whether you're compatible or not. What it shows is the likely dynamics between you if you have a relationship. What kind of dynamics equal compatibility depends very heavily on the individuals. Some like a relationship with lots of change. Some like things to stay pretty much the same. Some like it placid. Some like it turbulent. The right dynamics for one person's relationship might not suit another.

So, compatibility isn't found in a chart. Instead, the chart is the starting point for a conversation about it.

wilsontc

Staff member
it begins with the natal chart, to nicoleeehi

nicoleeehi,

You asked:
Which one do you think is the most important?

For relationship interests check the NATAL charts first. That will indicate the sort of person each person is interested in. THEN check the natal charts of each person to see whether each has what the OTHER person is interested in. IF there is compatibility and the two people ARE interested in each other, THEN (as Osamenor mentions) check the relationship charts to see how the relationship is likely to progress.

Relating,

Tim

AJ Astrology

Which one do you think is the most important?

Hi nicoleeehi,

Definitely synastry. It's been statistically validated. Both modern and traditional techniques work. Avoid composite or Davison charts. Put charts side-by-side or use dual wheel, whichever is easiest for you to read.

You're looking for partner's Sun in your H1, H5 or H7. Moon will work, too, especially if it's a night birth. Lots of trines or sextiles between Sun, Moon, Venus and Jupiter, and Mercury if he is in a good place.

If you're not seeing that, don't panic. Your partner's Venus in H1, H5 or H7 trine your Sun is same-same. Your Jupiter in partner's H1, H5 or H7 trine partner's Sun or Venus or Moon same-same. Like that. Your partner's H1, H5 or H7 ruler in your H1, H5 and H7 same-same, although it would be beneficial to have a trine or sextile with your Sun, Venus or Jupiter.

Trines are better than sextiles, suggesting greater stability and longevity of the relationship.

Avoid Sun in H6/H12. That's indicative of a lop-sided relationship where one partner is manipulative, controlling or dominating and the other partner never gets to express themselves. You see it a lot in abusive relationships.

Likewise, avoid H4/H8 Suns, because those relationships never work/last.

Suns in H2 (money), H11 (social status) and H10 (position) tell you what your partner is after. They might love your money or social circle you hang with more than they love you.

Hi nicoleeehi,

Definitely synastry. It's been statistically validated. Both modern and traditional techniques work. Avoid composite or Davison charts. Put charts side-by-side or use dual wheel, whichever is easiest for you to read.

You're looking for partner's Sun in your H1, H5 or H7. Moon will work, too, especially if it's a night birth. Lots of trines or sextiles between Sun, Moon, Venus and Jupiter, and Mercury if he is in a good place.

If you're not seeing that, don't panic. Your partner's Venus in H1, H5 or H7 trine your Sun is same-same. Your Jupiter in partner's H1, H5 or H7 trine partner's Sun or Venus or Moon same-same. Like that. Your partner's H1, H5 or H7 ruler in your H1, H5 and H7 same-same, although it would be beneficial to have a trine or sextile with your Sun, Venus or Jupiter.

Trines are better than sextiles, suggesting greater stability and longevity of the relationship.

Avoid Sun in H6/H12. That's indicative of a lop-sided relationship where one partner is manipulative, controlling or dominating and the other partner never gets to express themselves. You see it a lot in abusive relationships.

Suns in H2 (money), H11 (social status) and H10 (position) tell you what your partner is after. They might love your money or social circle you hang with more than they love you.

I love this answer!!!! Thank u

wan

Personally, I would check the synastry first. But I always include the composite chart as well. I feel that this makes the analysis of the relationship complete.

wan

Hi nicoleeehi,

Hello. I agree with most of your post, especially about the H1, 5 and 7. But why is partner's Sun in 4th house bad? The 4th house is an emotional house. Plus it's angular. It's a very powerful house and I had always thought connection to this house was important.

AJ Astrology

Hello. I agree with most of your post, especially about the H1, 5 and 7. But why is partner's Sun in 4th house bad? The 4th house is an emotional house. Plus it's angular. It's a very powerful house and I had always thought connection to this house was important.

Hi wan,

I didn't say H4 was bad, I simply said it wasn't wonderfully beautifully good. You should avoid it, unless there's aspects to support it.

Relationships work when two people have common interests and shared goals, whether personal, professional or family-oriented and that's what a synastry chart shows.

A square isn't the end of the world. It just indicates challenges and difficulties or will generate friction in the relationship that may or may not be able to be overcome. Reception will tell the story.

What's that thing, "Behind every successful man there's a powerful woman?" Something like that. I can almost guarantee you there's a square there (or a trine from one of the malefics in a good place).

AJ Astrology

I love this answer!!!! Thank u

Hi nicoleeehi,

Just to clarify, I'm talking about sign aspects.

Your Sun in partner's H1 and partner has H5 Venus.

That's a trine. Orb doesn't really matter. If they happen to be in orb, that suggests a more powerful connection. I don't know, what would call that? Suppose the aspect was exact. I guess you'd call that "soul-mate level."

So if your Sun H9 and parnter's Sun in your H7. That's a sextile. Don't get hung up on degrees. If your Sun H9 and partner's Sun your H1 that's a trine. If they're in orb, that's fantastic but if not don't worry.

petosiris

Banned
Hi nicoleeehi,

Just to clarify, I'm talking about sign aspects.

Your Sun in partner's H1 and partner has H5 Venus.

That's a trine. Orb doesn't really matter. If they happen to be in orb, that suggests a more powerful connection. I don't know, what would call that? Suppose the aspect was exact. I guess you'd call that "soul-mate level."

So if your Sun H9 and parnter's Sun in your H7. That's a sextile. Don't get hung up on degrees. If your Sun H9 and partner's Sun your H1 that's a trine. If they're in orb, that's fantastic but if not don't worry.

That is only if you are using the so-called whole sign houses. You forgot to tell us how all other house systems fail in comparison to your choice.

petosiris

Banned
For friendship, conjunctions, sextiles and trines between Ascendant, Sun, Moon and Lot of Fortune (use the so-called diurnal formula for night charts), Ascendant for pleasure, Sun and Moon for choice, Lot of Fortune for need. Disjunct places cause lack of sympathy. Squares and oppositions cause enmity.

For marriage, mostly Sun and Moon matter in the same way, especially the Moon of the husband and the Sun of the wife. Jupiter and Venus in any aspect with the luminaries in harmony keep the marriage pleasant, agreeable, and profitable, while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition cause quarrelsome, unpleasant, and unprofitable marriage. When the luminaries are inharmonious positions, but Jupiter and Venus are in aspect, marriages do not end, but they bring about renewals and recollections, which preserve kindness and affection, while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition bring divorce with abuse and violence, Mercury in similar aspects adds more to the above.

This is something similar to what AJ said, although I would recommend ''orbs'' of 15° instead of whole sign aspects. This preserves the wide range of configurations without having 91° trines and 119° squares.

ellie04

Why do you say this? My mom's Sun is in my dad's H4. They've been together 40+yrs and more stable than many couples out there.

My aunt's husband also has his Sun in her H8. Another stable couple for 30yrs.

ellie04

while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition bring divorce with abuse and violence

This is inaccurate... and it's not right to sentence a r/s to death over one aspect. I personally know long-term couples who have synastry Saturn square/opposite Mars but I don't see abuse or violence, neither divorce.

JUPITERASC

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris
while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition bring divorce with abuse and violence
This is inaccurate
... and it's not right to sentence a r/s to death over one aspect.
I personally know long-term couples who have synastry Saturn square/opposite Mars
but I don't see abuse or violence, neither divorce.
"not seeing" abuse or violence does not mean it is not happening
also in any event
you missed the key factor which is:
'...when the luminaries are in inharmonious positions...'
i.e.
here's the complete quote as originally written :smile:

For friendship, conjunctions, sextiles and trines between Ascendant, Sun, Moon and Lot of Fortune (use the so-called diurnal formula for night charts), Ascendant for pleasure, Sun and Moon for choice, Lot of Fortune for need. Disjunct places cause lack of sympathy. Squares and oppositions cause enmity.

For marriage, mostly Sun and Moon matter in the same way, especially the Moon of the husband and the Sun of the wife.

Jupiter and Venus in any aspect with the luminaries in harmony keep the marriage pleasant, agreeable, and profitable, while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition cause quarrelsome, unpleasant, and unprofitable marriage.

When the luminaries are inharmonious positions, but Jupiter and Venus are in aspect, marriages do not end, but they bring about renewals and recollections, which preserve kindness and affection, while Saturn and Mars in conjunction, square or opposition bring divorce with abuse and violence, Mercury in similar aspects adds more to the above.

This is something similar to what AJ said, although I would recommend ''orbs'' of 15° instead of whole sign aspects. This preserves the wide range of configurations without having 91° trines and 119° squares.

ellie04

also in any event
i.e.
here's the complete quote as originally written :smile:

Well, I do know these couples very closely. One of them have Saturn square/opposite Mars DW with Sun sesquiquadrate/trine Moon DW. The single trine is strong enough to withstand the Saturn-Mars DW + a Sun sesqui Moon, if going by your analysis?

Me and my guy also have Saturn conjunct Mars with Sun square Moon. We've been together 1.5yrs. Abuse? No. Violence? None so far.

petosiris

Banned
https://www.astro.com/tmpd/castro_2atw_e/astro_2atw_michel_gauquelin.55392.31426.png
https://www.astro.com/tmpd/castro_2atw_e/astro_2atw_francoise_gauquelin.55388.31263.png

Astrodatabank says the Gauqelins marriage ended in ''bitter divorce''. Michel's Moon is disjunct his wife's Sun and while both are not in aspect with benefics, Saturn is in conjunction and opposition respectively. Note that this happened 28 years into the marriage, possibly due to the harmony of the other luminaries (like Moons or Sun and Moon, though not the Suns), which I deemed less important. Another indication of the divorce are the dual/mutable signs. Also the customs and ways of the nations sometimes take precedence over the nativities - Portugal has 10 times the divorce rate of Vietnam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography Obviously the synastry of Portuguese and Vietnamese people are not that different, their cultures are. Thus the configuration in one culture may not necessarily translate into every culture.

also in any event
i.e.
here's the complete quote as originally written

Yes, I meant Saturn and/or Mars in disharmonious aspect with the luminaries that are in disharmonious aspect or disjunct, not the maleficent planets configuration with each other.

Last edited:

thelivingsky

This is inaccurate... and it's not right to sentence a r/s to death over one aspect. I personally know long-term couples who have synastry Saturn square/opposite Mars but I don't see abuse or violence, neither divorce.

Yes. Any single aspect does not indicate success or failure. Aspects must be seen in context to the entire chart. Both synastry and composite charts.

Mars/Saturn aspects can manifest as simply a pattern of inharmonius timing where the partners are frequently not in the mood for the same things at the same time. It can cause some difficulty in sexual expression, but again, it depends on other indicators that could be mitigating influences.