Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Research and Development

Research and Development This is a forum designed for applying scientific methods and understanding to all approaches of astrology, cooperative formulation and testing of new ideas, re-examination of known methods of delineation and interpretation, and the exploration of new astrological methods of all kinds (e.g. heliocentric models, planetary nodes and apogees, etc.).

View Poll Results: Do your Appearance match your Ascendant?
Yes, it does 6 24.00%
No, it does not 5 20.00%
Yes, it does somewhat 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-21-2018, 01:34 AM

Smile Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up?

Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to gather some data and see whether the question in question actually works: Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up? How is it in your case?

So, the two points I am considering here are:

1) Do you look like your Asc. ?
2) Do you come across to others like your Asc.?

For instance, if you are a Leo Asc., do you have a thick mane, perhaps even wavy? Are you quite concerned about how your hair look, how you look, perhaps are even a bit vain?

Do people say that, at least initially, you come across as a bit arrogant, but also confident. Do you feel your pride gets bruised easily? Are you a bit childlike to childish sometimes?

Now, of course, not all points are going to match, so a Leo Asc. might not be all of the above, but most of it might (should) fit (if my observation works). Also, in case your Asc. does not really match your appearance, please check if you have planets in the first house and please mention that. Or, if you have recently done something to change it - perhaps because of a transit. For instance, perhaps with a Sag. Asc. you might have been normally on the bigger side, but perhaps due to a Saturn transit, you may have lost weight.

So, please make sure you look at what planets are around your Asc., especially those in the same sign as your Asc., and what planets aspect the ruler of your Asc. That is quite important

My point here is to see how far my observation goes in terms of actually manifesting itself with the majority at least (because there will always be exceptions).

In a separate post, I might a bit later give some brief pointers in regards to how I perceive the different signs on the Ascendant.

“Some people try to be tall by cutting off the heads of others.” —Paramahansa Yogananda

Last edited by aquarius7000; 01-28-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Unread 01-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Banned

Re: Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up?

''Yes, it does somewhat.'' I have come across it a lot of times, but I am still sceptical. I have seen some astrologers suggest this:

Let changeable signs generally indicate Mesomorph, fixed - Endomorph, double-bodied - Ectomorph.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Bodytypes.jpg

https://www.britannica.com/science/somatotype

Keep in mind, those somatotypes are absolutely rejected in science today, as are all physiognomical methods. Also generally, the square signs differ a lot, at least in traditional astrology, the quadruplicity is not that strong of an influence, personality wise. But appearance wise it is quite ambiguous, so I am just giving this as an idea.

Other astrologers say (iirc Jyotish), short signs indicate short people, long - tall people, and there is also difference between the sign heights themselves. Works quite well in my experience. We need someone with data, I am lazy. The height of many famous people can be googled.

Last edited by petosiris; 01-27-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Unread 01-27-2018, 07:45 PM

Interesting.

In my case, I have a Leo Asc. with nothing in my first house or on the Asc. My Sun is almost unaspected except by Merc. (which is the case with most Suns).

I am of average height (under 5'5"), have thick and wavy hair, walk proud, have an open oval-to-round face, have been told to initially (unless people get to know me well) come across as sort of arrogant and over-confident, have a presence that fills the room. I can be quite childish, or child-like, and, yes, I don't like being ignored (hurts my pride).

“Some people try to be tall by cutting off the heads of others.” —Paramahansa Yogananda
Unread 01-28-2018, 02:49 AM

I checked "no". I have Virgo rising, but look like anything but the neat & tidy type. Why? Uranus squares my ascendant. Planets squaring or opposing the ascendant or in the first house can seriously modify the rising sign's appearance.

I think, nonetheless, I do "come across to others" like my ascendant, because this also includes one's outward personality, mannerisms, and quirks. I'll let others decide whether I come across as a picky perfectionist.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 01-28-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
I checked "no". I have Virgo rising, but look like anything but the neat & tidy type. Why? Uranus squares my ascendant. Planets squaring or opposing the ascendant or in the first house can seriously modify the rising sign's appearance.

I think, nonetheless, I do "come across to others" like my ascendant, because this also includes one's outward personality, mannerisms, and quirks. I'll let others decide whether I come across as a picky perfectionist.
Would you care to define your appearance, which is a big part of how one's Asc. defines one, besides how others may perceive you. Also, where is your Merc. placed and how is it affected. Is it just Uranus aspecting your Asc.?

Unread 01-29-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius7000 View Post
Would you care to define your appearance, which is a big part of how one's Asc. defines one, besides how others may perceive you. Also, where is your Merc. placed and how is it affected. Is it just Uranus aspecting your Asc.?
As a woman in my late 60s, my appearance has changed a lot since I was young. I used to have very turbulent, curly, thick, naturally very light blonde hair that looked like nobody else's. As I aged, my hair got thinner and darker. Right now, it's partly a sandy grey-blonde and partly a darker brown. (I've never colored my hair.) This is why I think that Uranus square one's ascendant can dramatically alter the stereotypical descriptions of ascendants. Also, Neptune in the first house. We tend to be the chameleons of the zodiac. I'll post what I call my "close enough" nativity. It's not the exact one, due to my privacy concerns, but it's very close and preserves the accurate chart's structure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W's close-enough chart 3.jpg (44.8 KB, 15 views)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 06-17-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

In my case, I have a Leo Asc. with nothing in my first house or on the Asc. My Sun is almost unaspected except by Merc. (which is the case with most Suns).

I am of average height (under 5'5"), have thick and wavy hair, walk proud, have an open oval-to-round face, have been told to initially (unless people get to know me well) come across as sort of arrogant and over-confident, have a presence that fills the room. I can be quite childish, or child-like, and, yes, I don't like being ignored (hurts my pride).
Funny thing, I've known people with exact same descriptions who are Cancer ascendants (been spending more time thinking about them because Im as well Cancer ascendant).

Do we have some room here for Asc calculation errors or....?

I really need ideas, I'm hard-stuck with 15 different researches into astrology. You have an idea, I've probably tested it.

Well, that is, if the idea includes Sun sign or ascendant, I really did not bother with planets and aspects as there are multiple available researches such as Gauquelin ones etc)
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||
Unread 06-18-2020, 12:53 AM

Funny thing, I have seen cancer Asc that look quite different than how you claim for them to look.

I suggest you continue with your study and I will pursue mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekonomist13 View Post
Funny thing, I've known people with exact same descriptions who are Cancer ascendants (been spending more time thinking about them because Im as well Cancer ascendant).

Do we have some room here for Asc calculation errors or....?

I really need ideas, I'm hard-stuck with 15 different researches into astrology. You have an idea, I've probably tested it.

Well, that is, if the idea includes Sun sign or ascendant, I really did not bother with planets and aspects as there are multiple available researches such as Gauquelin ones etc)
Unread 06-19-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Funny thing, I have seen cancer Asc that look quite different than how you claim for them to look.

I suggest you continue with your study and I will pursue mine.
I don't recall saying how any ascendant looks like, I've just said I've known a few matching your description in Cancer (no matter the degrees).

I was simply asking for ideas/knowledge/hypothesis to test. I am not a sceptic, but I am bound (in my mind) by the scientific method.

Having two people with exact same descriptions of their outer selves finding themselves in two different ascendant signs, begs for different answers.

For example, there's been a topic about "Spiritual birth" here on this forum, but I can't seem to find it again. The gist of it is that sometimes people are given a wrong ascendant and that it happens when your spiritual birth came before your actual birth (which to me sounds like the real ascendant should be calculated by the time of water bursting instead of birth).

Knowing a lot of such cases who get described better to the asc sign previous to their own, this is what I had in mind.

The idea is logical, intuitive and testable but I guess it makes you a bigger expert to just shut other people and ideas out and continue the only way which has been proved to not work.

No, ascendant signs without controlling for demographics and myriad of other hidden variables do not tell you anything about yourself. At least not anything right.
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||
Unread 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM

I'm avg hieght and weight. Dark brown eyes and dark brown hair, kind of boney but I've put on more muscle, sharp teeth and a beak like nose. I look like a cap rising sometimes which is right. A Scorpio rising other times however, and I act more like the Scorpio rising. Venus rules the MC in my chart and Venus is in Scorpio, Venus and the MC/AC midpoint both are actually. Those are conjunct to Pluto through stellium. My sun/moon is in Scorpio oppose my AC ruler, and trine the AC. So Pluto and Scorpio slip into the MC and AC through the spiritual rising sign and the MC/AC midpoint (along with the MC ruler in Scorpio conj to Pluto). I think everyone should see if there spiritual rising matches there personality better as it is the place where ego and emotion meet (Sun/Moon mp) and for appearance look at the center angle (MC/AC mp) and see if they match better than the traditional AC.
Unread 01-28-2018, 04:11 AM

* as for personality I sound like I'm giving away a whole lot but I'm not.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:28 AM

I'm a Virgo moon but it's in the eight house and it's a hades moon (aspects Pluto). I also have a Capricorn sun and AC yet im as orginized as a rabid squirrel. This may be because of Pluto coruling the AC (MC/AC mp in Scorp. conj. Pluto via 11th house) and Pluto the rules MC via Venus in Scorpio (also part of 11th house conj). Pluto also rules the spiritual rising sign (through Scorpio and the Pluto decan). Next ruleling planets are Saturn then Mars. I act like a Scorpio most of the time, having some Capricorn, some Aquarius, and the even rarer libra moments. My Virgo moon is fairly consumed.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:45 AM

Honestly Aquarius are more other worldly, tbh.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:49 AM

Smile Re: Ascendant and Appearance - do they match up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoam1 View Post
Honestly Aquarius are more other worldly, tbh.
More focused though. Piscean eyes have a dreamy quality, and a disinterested look where materialistic concerns are involved.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:48 AM

They must be purple or something.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Like Elizabeth Taylor fancy.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
They do change color from gray to blue and green, and back. No purple though.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
They do change color from gray to blue and green, and back. No purple though.
So your eyes are hazel?
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Know View Post
So your eyes are hazel?
No, the brownish hazel coloring isn't there. Just green, blue and gray.
Unread 01-29-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
No, the brownish hazel coloring isn't there. Just green, blue and gray.
That’s still considered hazel in North America hmm blue and grey would be silver eyes but with the green I’m going more towards hazel

Last edited by Love2Know; 01-29-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Unread 01-29-2018, 12:55 AM

No he's possessed.
Unread 01-29-2018, 01:01 AM

Just me thinking what r u guy's spiritual rising signs?
Unread 01-29-2018, 02:36 AM

Um hazel is hazel aka light brown.
Unread 01-29-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Um hazel is hazel aka light brown.
You can have green eyes with orange and be considered hazel eyed
Unread 01-29-2018, 03:26 AM

Hello. Newbie here and to astrology. I'm trying to make sense of what I am reading on here; it's all very interesting. From what little I have read, I don't feel I look much like my Scorpio Asc but maybe it has to do with Venus and my Pisces moon softening the Scorpio angles?

Tags
appearance, ascendant, match