Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Modern Astrology

Modern Astrology For discussions on Modern Astrology only. (Note: Typically, modern astrology is defined as using techniques developed around the late 1800s by Theosophists. Specifically it relies on psychological, evolutionary, karmic, and non-western interpretation approaches and includes Neptune, Uranus and Pluto, and non-Ptolemaic aspects. The focus is more on psychological chart interpretation instead of prediction.)

Unread 03-23-2021, 09:58 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Re: Why do the Moon and Sun Rule One Sign in Ancient Astrology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post
Still haven't seen a convincing use of the joys in a chart reading other than musing or adding dramatic flair to make the text look palatable.

With its natural placement in a wheel and its apparent symmetries and groupings it seems like it's more of a pedagogical tool.
I had an astrology teacher--a modern astrologer who, like most modern astrologers, works with some traditional techniques--teach us the planetary joys and say, there's no clear reason for them, this is just what traditional astrology says. The only explanation I know of that makes any sense at all is that the diurnal planets joy in the above the horizon houses while their nocturnal counterparts joy in the opposite houses below the horizon, while Mercury, being some of both and the interface (communicator) between self and the world, gets the first house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post
Well does it work or not? Test out on horary and see if the Moon is actually VoC or not with a quintile
Even modern astrologers don't use non-ptolemaic aspects for the purpose of determining VOC. At least, I've never run across any who did. Those aspects have other purposes, but they don't seem to work for that one.

Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Unread 03-27-2021, 04:04 PM

Re: Possible pre-Ptolemaic reasons for the Sign rulerships in Modern astrology

@Osa

Re: what your modern astro teachers says, now would be a good time to post this link about the possible reasoning behind the joy system here

David, a couple years back I had the thought to combine Kiril Stoychev's alternative exaltation system with the planetary friends and enemies chart (a western traditional discussion of the table can be found in Joy Usher's book "A Tiny Universe: Astrology and the Thema Mundi Chart) in order to determine hidden affinities and aversions among the outers and the traditional seven planets.

I haven't done much further research along those lines since I'm focused on other things, but I figured I'd share the idea so that someone interested to travel down the rabbit hole. The intricacies of your particular system is instructive on what's possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
david starling (03-27-2021)
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Smile Re: Possible pre-Ptolemaic reasons for the Sign rulerships in Modern astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
@Osa

Re: what your modern astro teachers says, now would be a good time to post this link about the possible reasoning behind the joy system here

David, a couple years back I had the thought to combine Kiril Stoychev's alternative exaltation system with the planetary friends and enemies chart (a western traditional discussion of the table can be found in Joy Usher's book "A Tiny Universe: Astrology and the Thema Mundi Chart) in order to determine hidden affinities and aversions among the outers and the traditional seven planets.

I haven't done much further research along those lines since I'm focused on other things, but I figured I'd share the idea so that someone interested to travel down the rabbit hole. The intricacies of your particular system is instructive on what's possible.

I think your designating it as intricate may be because I included Sign numbers.

If I remove those, we have only four obvious, and uncomplicated factors.

1) The Moon and Sun move in only one Geocentric direction, and rule only one Sign each.

Whereas, the 5 original astrological planets move in two Geocentric directions, and rule two Signs each.

2) The sequence based on rate of motion, from fastest to slowest, has the Moon at one end, and Saturn at the other. And since the Moon is closest to the Earth, it's at the beginning of the sequence.

Moon-Sun-Mercury-Venus-Mars-Jupiter-Saturn

3)The most obvious feature of the Heliocentric system is that the fiery Sun is fixed in the center. And, using that to shed light on the Geocentric astrological rulerships, simply apply that feature to the description of Leo as the "fixed-fire" Sign. Then we have, using the rate-of-motion sequence in direct order:

Moon--Sun--Mercury--Venus--Mars--Jupiter--Saturn

4) Then, apply the retrograde order, and the idea that the planets moving in 2 ways implies rulership of 2 Signs, and we stop at Saturn, by adding to Saturn's rulership domain; and, on back around the Zodiac, adding to Jupiter's, to Mars, to Venus, and to Mercury.

I think it's fairly elegant and uncomplicated.

Last edited by david starling; 03-27-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:36 PM

The reason I used the word intricate is because of the resulting dignities that your system uses -- 5 for each sign. Not based on a subjective ordering of planet to signs based on affinity, but on a cipher where the planetary rulerships are placed. It's why it doesn't jar me when you say that you just follow what affinities show up in the pattern.

Do you see intricate as a criticism?
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:38 PM

You had a list in BlackSun?'s thread that outlined every planetary rulership for the signs.
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Smile Re: Possible pre-Ptolemaic reasons for the Sign rulerships in Modern astrology

Quote:
You had a list in BlackSun?'s thread that outlined every planetary rulership for the signs.
Can you move it here? Obviously, J.A. could, but probably wouldn't.
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The reason I used the word intricate is because of the resulting dignities that your system uses -- 5 for each sign. Not based on a subjective ordering of planet to signs based on affinity, but on a cipher where the planetary rulerships are placed. It's why it doesn't jar me when you say that you just follow what affinities show up in the pattern.

Do you see intricate as a criticism?
More like, not what I was going for regarding the original Domicile assignments.. I was trying for easy and uncomplicated when it came to the ancient sequence.

12/12 does get intricate, especially because of the application of a "coefficient of change in position" to determine the Domicile-rulerships of the Fixed and Mutable Signs.

Last edited by david starling; 03-27-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Unread 03-27-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Can you move it here? Obviously, J.A. could, but probably wouldn't.
I would, if I weren't on mobile. Too much of a chore to do that when you're surfing on a cellphone.
Unread 03-27-2021, 08:33 PM

Let's see if I can explain the basis for the categories of rulerships.

In Direct-motion, from one Sign to the next, take the modality of the Sign in transition, and the Element of the Sign into which follows.

Picking an easy one, with standard Modernistic Domicile-rulers, and with Domicile-rulerships as THE key to the entire arrangement (in all cases):

Scorpio to Sagittarius:
Start with Scorpio's Modality, Fixed.
Then the Element of Sagittarius, Fire.
That gives Leo as the "Facilitator" of Scorpio's transformation into Sagittarius.

Then, Scorpio's Element, Water, is paired with the Modality of Sagittarius, Mutable.
That gives Pisces as the "Catalyst" for the transformation.

The Domicile-ruler of the Facilitator is the Sun in this case, which I've labeled the "Regulator" of the process of transition.
The Domicile-ruler of the Catalyst is the "Motivator" of the process in this one case, Neptune.

The Motivator Neptune is "In Service" to both the Facilitator, in this case, Leo; and, to the Regulator, the Sun. And, Pisces, the Catalyst, is the "Devotional" Sign to the Sun.
This is why the Sun is "Exalted" in Pisces.

The Regulator functions as the most important non-Domiciled ruler of the Sign in transition.
For Scorpio, that's the Sun, making Scorpio the "fiery" Water-sign.

Last edited by david starling; 03-27-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Unread 03-27-2021, 09:16 PM

Well, I tried, but it still looks difficult to follow.

Anyway, for those who think 12/12 leads to crazy results, I just want them to know that there IS "a method to the madness".

And, it ends up with a Modernistic equivalent to the Traditionalistic table of Dignities and Debilities. Although it's much more about the Dignities.
Unread 03-27-2021, 09:25 PM

One problem with the explanation is that it's filled with jargon, and also unspoken axioms (like your system is predicated on the modern-only rulership system which has it that Pluto/Scorpio, Uranus/Aquarius and Neptune/Pisces)

Those explanations might be in order,but then now this would become much more involved than we were expecting.
Unread 03-27-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
One problem with the explanation is that it's filled with jargon, and also unspoken axioms (like your system is predicated on the modern-only rulership system which has it that Pluto/Scorpio, Uranus/Aquarius and Neptune/Pisces)

Those explanations might be in order,but then now this would become much more involved than we were expecting.

One-on-one Domicle-rulership was the intent.

Instead of stopping at 10/12, which destroys the Table of Dignities without replacing it.

12/12 is definitely intended as a Modernistic advancement.

Trad is a restoration of how it was done in the past, and I'm not cancelling it, I just prefer Mod, which has room for innovation, and looks to the future.
Unread 03-27-2021, 09:49 PM

Isn't Trad filled with jargon?

I'm using ancient jargon myself, in 12/12.

12/12 has patterns that delineate the Domicile-rulers. Nothing haphazard about them. In fact, in retrospect, I was pleased to see how many of the 12/12 Domicile-rulers matched up in the case of both Trad and Mod.

I set up what I consider reasonable patterns, and let the chips fall where the might. Not all that many surprises, actually.

Last edited by david starling; 03-27-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 03-27-2021, 09:58 PM

Not necessarily a criticism, just that terms like regulator, catalytic ability, sense of purpose, facilitator etc, are new jargon and would need to be addressed so that the explanation would be more understandable to someone who has just encountered it.

Traditional has the benefit of being thousands of years old, and still new people find it necessary to create threads to clarify unfamiliar terms and to see demonstrations of principles in charts.
Unread 03-27-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily a criticism, just that terms like regulator, catalytic ability, sense of purpose, facilitator etc, are new jargon and would need to be addressed so that the explanation would be more understandable to someone who has just encountered it.

Traditional has the benefit of being thousands of years old, and still new people find it necessary to create threads to clarify unfamiliar terms and to see demonstrations of principles in charts.
I KNOW! Doing this alone leaves a lot to be desired.
Unread 03-27-2021, 10:05 PM

Sharing it on an open source platform helps, don't you think?
Unread 03-27-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Sharing it on an open source platform helps, don't you think?
Definitely! Your input is a major plus.

Edit: Just remembered that Sag is the facilitating (teaching) Sign for Pisces, because in the pattern, Sagittarius has the Modality of Pisces and the Element of Aries, towards which Pisces is transitioning.

Last edited by david starling; 03-27-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Unread 03-27-2021, 10:32 PM

Hey that's convenient
Unread 03-28-2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Hey that's convenient

12/12 does have a lot synchronicity in my own experience.

Last edited by david starling; 03-28-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Tags
ancient, astrology, modern, moon, preptolemaic, reasons, rule, rulerships, sign